• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SteamSpy] Nier: Automata hit 200k copies in less than 2 weeks

kswiston

Ehh, not always... Xanadu Next (which was fantastic) did a pittance and the junky Neptunia and Idea Factory games sell real well.

Xanadu Next is a patched and translated 12 year old PC game that looks more like a 15-17 year old PC game without the low resolution locks that were common then.

New Japanese PC games with concurrent release dates to the console versions usually do well if they are half decent ports (and are good games).

Ascheroth

Ehh, not always... Xanadu Next (which was fantastic) did a pittance and the junky Neptunia and Idea Factory games sell real well.

Xanadu Next is a patched and translated 12 year old PC game that looks more like a 15-17 year old PC game without the low resolution locks that were common then.

New Japanese PC games with concurrent release dates to the console versions usually do well if they are half decent ports (and are good games).

And also had barely any marketing at all. I doubt people that weren't already following Xseed on twitter or somewhere and weren't in the SteamGAF thread even knew it existed.

I love Xseeds Falcom and other older output, but they're really dropping the ball on marketing. And that just doesn't cut it anymore with the amount of (good) games releasing all the damn time.

Koozek

I just.. can't be interested in this game. And I loved the first one.
Maybe BECAUSE I loved it.
E9Ov8fR.png

Wonder where Platinum, Square-Enix, Akihiko Yoshida, Keiichi Okabe (MONACA) and Yoko Taro go from here? New game enters development and they make another game together due to the success or will they all go their separate ways for now and band back together again in the future? Glad to see success for them all though, well deserved, very talented bunch of folks.

Either way, with this success, it'd be silly not to re-release the original NieR in some capacity now.

burgerdog

Super glad it's going well. Loved every bit of Nier and had fun with the intro of Automata. Can't wait to properly dive in once I'm done with Zelda.

Okay Square - time to let platinum direct the combat in the next Final Fantasy.

I haven't picked this game up yet, but I'm buying it as soon as I beat Zelda!

Gbraga

what are the problems with the PC port? just bad performance?

Exclusive Fullscreen is busted for most people and there's stuttering in the prerendered cutscenes.

There's a mod that fixes both, and improves performance by changing the CPU cycles. But vanilla performance is not bad at all.

Ascheroth

To expand on what Gbraga said, the resolution thing can technically also be fixed by simply running the game in borderless fullscreen mode (which does require an external program, but takes like 5 seconds to set it up the first time and then it's a non-issue).

Ascheroth

Oh wow this is good for the team. Amazing game

Yeah, seriously.

The OP mentioned it, but I doesn't hurt to say it again:
The games still in the global top sellers on Steam, and the data is from 3 days ago, it should already be a little higher and isn't yet available (officially) in Asia.
Might break 250k at that point.

If you launch on PC at the same time as console I will buy PC. It's not hard to figure out, Nevertheless, developers frequently release the PC version later. What that means is that there's a good chance I'll just skip the game. Because there's other stuff to play by the time the PC version is out. Or I will buy the console version on discount. I think PC ports are a future big moneymaker For devs.

Great news, despite some technical oopsies it's very solid, on top of being one of the best games I've ever played

I can say you'll likely love this as well
I also loved the first Nier, but Automata just didn't feel as special as the first (at least through the first ending). I'm on the second playthrough, but I've actually been playing other games instead.

I'll probably change my mind as I get more endings, but like I said, compared to the first game, the first go-around didn't feel as special (including sidequests). It's probably because Automata felt like it ended just as it started, whereas Nier felt like a more complete game even on ending 1 (it's been years, though).

Durante

The first Nier was my GotY in its year, and this one is my GotY this year (so far).

It does almost everything the first did which made it so special to me (the only things I preferred in the first were
the characters overall and an even higher degree of genre variation
), the main gameplay is significantly more fluid than the first, the shmup sections are much better, and it's nice to play at a locked 1440p/60 FPS rather than 720p30 with drops :p

"Bad performance" is actually not a problem with the PC port.
It performs exactly like a PS4 Pro at PS4 Pro settings on a PC as fast as a PS4 Pro.

I also loved the first Nier, but Automata just didn't feel as special as the first (at least through the first ending). I'm on the second playthrough, but I've actually been playing other games instead.

I'll probably change my mind as I get more endings, but like I said, compared to the first game, the first go-around didn't feel as special (including sidequests). It's probably because Automata felt like it ended just as it started, whereas Nier felt like a more complete game even on ending 1 (it's been years, though).

Do you mean you've only gotten
Ending A
? Then you ain't seen shit yet.

The first Nier was my GotY in its year, and this one is my GotY this year (so far).

It does almost everything the first did which made it so special to me (the only things I preferred in the first were
the characters overall and an even higher degree of genre variation
), the main gameplay is significantly more fluid than the first, the shmup sections are much better, and it's nice to play at a locked 1440p/60 FPS rather than 720p30 with drops :p

"Bad performance" is actually not a problem with the PC port.
It performs exactly like a PS4 Pro at PS4 Pro settings on a PC as fast as a PS4 Pro.

Do you think its worth switching to UE4 or do you think they should just stick to the engine they have now and try and fix the rough edges?

Lol.
Valkyria Chronicles released 2½ years ago and has 900k owners now. Their response was Sonic Lost World a year later. Then, crickets.
They have the numbers themselves without having to check other companies. They're just incompetent.

I agree.

Incompetent is the only word capable of describing SEGA right now (regarding PC, of course).
I honestly think there's political shit going on between the various regional divisions of Sega right now.

Sega US got gutted and merged with Atlus US, who are infamous for mocking of fans asking for PC ports of their games; and Sega EU doesn't want to touch anything thats not from one of their strategy game devs, to the point that Persona "God Damn" 5 is being published by Deep Silver in the region. Sega/Atlus JP call the shots but they only care about Japan domestic market where PC is a non-factor and hold onto their IP like Golum from Lord of the Rings.

That's all to say that whoevers idea it was to kickstart the whole porting of Sega's back catalogue has probably been moved on in one of Sega's recent corporate reorganisations, and have given up hope of anything changing in the near future.

Gbraga

I think that part of the problem you're having is that Nier B is the same as Nier A with added stuff to give you a different perspective, but it's the same game. I'm still on Route A of Automata, but from what I've seen people discussing, the second half of B and the entirety of C is all new content. So it's different from Nier where B was A with new stuff and C and D were exactly like B with different endings. It's more like Drakengard 3, where every branch brings all new story stuff.

When we recommend Nier to someone, we tell them to get the endings because it'll make them appreciate it even more. In Automata, you'll tell people to get the endings because they literally didn't play the entire game with just A+B. And I've seen a lot of people saying that Route C is the best one.

To apply Automata's structure to Nier 1, I believe it would be like ending A was at the time skip, and Route B started after the time skip. I don't even know how the hell you'd apply Route C to Nier 1 with that mentality. And there's even the fact that you play with different characters.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Great, so now that it is so successful how about properly patching the game without the need for a bunch of fan fixes. Unacceptable.

Gbraga

Great, so now that it is so successful how about properly patching the game without the need for a bunch of fan fixes. Unacceptable.

Someone mentioned that there are a bunch of testing branches for the game being updated in the steam database, the chances are good.

They should take their time, though. If it's not at least as good as the fan fixes, all it's gonna do is give them trouble to update the mods we'll still want to use, even if the base game's main issues are fixed.

Someone mentioned that there are a bunch of testing branches for the game being updated in the steam database, the chances are good.

They should take their time, though. If it's not at least as good as the fan fixes, all it's gonna do is give them trouble to update the mods we'll still want to use, even if the base game's main issues are fixed.

They're also updating them at 8-10pm in Japan, so they're doing overtime for it.

True Fire

Maybe you should finish the game before you make up your mind on it. Automata does routes very differently from NieR.

Good! Now tell all your friends to get it.

Do we have PS4+PC numbers yet? Hoping this hits over 1m.

Easy.

Including digital, PS4 Japan is easily over 300,000.

PC worldwide is at 200,000.

I'm confident the rest of the world outside of that can manage 500,000 especially when you include digital.

wazoo

200K is not nothing considering the ease of porting for a company not starting their first PC game (like PG).

If anybody is interested GMG has got Nier for 25% off at the moment.

Looking at the current Steamspy figures, the sales numbers are accelerating as word gets out. Nier is very much this years Doom.

PantsuJo

If anybody is interested GMG has got Nier for 25% off at the moment.

Looking at the current Steamspy figures, the sales numbers are accelerating as word gets out. Nier is very much this years Doom.
Good news for Japanese games on Steam :D
So happy about Nier

Banned
I find that rather low especially compared to other Japanese games on there like MGR and Valkyria Chronicles.

But then i remember how there was no marketing for the PC version and square did everything in their power not to mention it until two weeks before the release date.

I find that rather low especially compared to other Japanese games on there like MGR and Valkyria Chronicles.

But then i remember how there was no marketing for the PC version and square did everything in their power not to mention it until two weeks before the release date.

One has been out for 2 weeks, the two others have been out for 2 years. That's a silly comparison.

Hektor

One has been out for 2 weeks, the two others have been out for 2 years. That's a silly comparison.

Neither of those had been released at full price either

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

1. Neither of those two games cost $60 on release on PC, this did.

2. It took a long time for mgr to get to 600k+ and valkyria to get to 900k+

iammeiam

This is the best news; it's a deserving game that should hopefully enjoy a pretty long life on Steam as price drops and sales inevitably kick in.

I think this is actually to some extent intentional--the second playthrough of Nier: Automata feels a lot like it was designed to target people's expectations about what a B route in a Nier game should be. It's by far the worst part of the game (it's not bad, but there's a definite sense of rehash to some of how route B plays out and the combat isn't as fun), but I really do think it's that way in part to play with the expectations of players of the first game.

No specific spoilers, more a thought on how routes A/B/C are meant to be perceived:
If you've played the first game, you probably spend most of the A play through figuring there's more to the story of machines and expecting route B to delve more into the "adding another cutscene for sad context around the thing you've already done." And it does, so it ends up feeling like a safe-ish retread of the first game at times. Not bad, but basically how you'd expect it to go if Automata was made by an outsider trying to copy the Nier experience.

B sets up most of those expectations, lulls you into a sense of semi-security that you know the story the game is trying to tell, but ends strong and by about five minutes into route C it becomes clear Automata isn't actually just retreading the path the first game forged.

Top Bottom