• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Battallion Heavy Armour - "1/10" "It does not work" "Should not have shipped"

Geek

Ninny Prancer
But wait... Polygon review editors don't give their reviews scores? Scores are given by other people during the post-writing process? That is a far bigger fail than this game, and so stupid it baffles me.

I don't think you're reading this carefully enough.

However, as part of Polygon's standard review process, reviewers do not unilaterally select a score for their text. Instead, myself and at least one other editor discuss the text and then approach the reviewer with our thoughts on the score that seems most appropriate to the text, at which time a final score is determined.

Multiple editors have input into the score. Even the editor who reviewed the game.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Multiple editors have input into the score. Even the editor who reviewed the game.

Doesn't really sound like it adds much of anything to the review, though. Eh, I don't look at scores anyway, it's all about the context of the review! Right? Cmon guys who's with me?

harSon

Banned
Watching that demo video.

The Kinect is more sad than I thought

You mean From Software's implementation is garbage? As shown in that video, the Kinect is picking up his body movement perfectly, From Software simply failed to implement it into the game properly.

eznark

Banned
it's my decision as Reviews Editor of Polygon to score Steel Battalion as we have.

-Arthur Gies, Polygon Reviews Editor

Good lord. Imagine if Reviews Editor Arthur Geis, Polygon Reviews Editor ever had real authority.

I played the demo, and I thought it was great. The controller in tune with the cool little Kinect movements - pulling down periscopes, standing up to open the hatch to use my bins. I was loving it.

The controls were a little flakey, but you know that's Kinect for you.

Is there something wrong with me for liking it? I don't trust fucking reviewers that's for sure. I'm still buying it - even if it just ends up a curio. And you know guys - From Software.

Orca

I played the demo, and I thought it was great. The controller in tune with the cool little Kinect movements - pulling down periscopes, standing up to open the hatch to use my bins. I was loving it.

The controls were a little flakey, but you know that's Kinect for you.

Is there something wrong with me for liking it? I don't trust fucking reviewers that's for sure. I'm still buying it - even if it just ends up a curio. And you know guys - From Software.

Maybe having to clear the area and sit upright in a chair is the new 'massive $150 controller' lol

Maybe having to clear the area and sit upright in a chair is the new 'massive $150 controller' lol

Nah, it's a 4x4ft, well lit, square that must be between 7-10 feet from the camera, with nothing that's black (or materials that absorb IR) is the new controller.

I remember.

I also remember that controller worked every single time I used it.

Owh what good times.

First time my friend showed me how to play it.. go through the startup sequence (which was awesome), and I started to walk out into the water...

My friend flipped up the cap and hit the eject button.

My rear was so devastated.

It was absolutely hilarious though.

Guess I should keep holding out for the next gen Kinect.

Not a bad idea if at this point you haven't gotten one, but I wouldn't judge Kinect's functionality by the incompetence of one developer, there are first generation games that work great and have excellent response with the controls, things should only get better, but like everywhere else, there will be rotten eggs even with the standard controller lol.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I hate the 'I don't agree with some of the things this journalist did so I'll copy and paste his work so he doesn't get hits' mentality.

As for the game... Even worse than I thought.

EDIT: That said, the Polygon review process seems really weird.

Thinking about kinect only pisses me off that we get shitty motion gaming, yet we still can't have shitty VR. I WOULD LOVE TO TRY SHITTY VR, why do you keep it from me?!

We had that in the '90s:

Y4enN.jpg

I've always wondered why they haven't taken another shot at it. We've come a long way since the awful Starfox-quality graphics it had.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The crimson dragon or w/e it's called is coming up. The cycle shall continue!

Yeah, that one really kills me. There's no reason that can't work on a controller... except that they're making it for Kinect. But hey, if they don't want my money, I guess that works, too.

But wait... Polygon review editors don't give their reviews scores? Scores are given by other people during the post-writing process? That is a far bigger fail than this game, and so stupid it baffles me.

Actually, I'm perfectly fine with this. As a (very small
emot-v.gif
) publisher, I've gotten burned on reviews when a lone reviewer bounced off some aspect of the game due to lack of skill or missing something (see: complaints about McElroy and the Nier minimap) when other reviewers liked an aspect fine, but that reviewer counted toward things like Metacritic and so we took a drubbing.

Does it suggest room for skullduggery? Maybe, but there's room for shady stuff in this business no matter how you slice it. At least this way I know the score isn't absolutely at the mercy of the whims of one person.

KTallguy

Banned
It's such a shame because the atmosphere and look of the game aren't bad. I hope someone hacks/patches this game to work with just the controller or something.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
emot-v.gif
) publisher, I've gotten burned on reviews when a lone reviewer bounced off some aspect of the game due to lack of skill or missing something (see: complaints about McElroy and the Nier minimap) when other reviewers liked an aspect fine, but that reviewer counted toward things like Metacritic and so we took a drubbing.

From what was posted, I believe the score is determined on editors analyzing the review itself, not reviewing it independently, so I don't know if it's the exact same thing you're referencing.

Alx

I've always wondered why they haven't taken another shot at it. We've come a long way since the awful Starfox-quality graphics it had.

It's expensive, takes a lot of room, takes time to equip/unequip the user (and usually needs someone to handle it, so it adds to the cost), limits the number of players/spectators, and caused frequent motion sickness and headaches. Plus, the arcades are dead.

emot-v.gif

Does it suggest room for skullduggery? Maybe, but there's room for shady stuff in this business no matter how you slice it. At least this way I know the score isn't absolutely at the mercy of the whims of one person.

But isint a review, someone's opinion?

If a reviewer is missing something obvious, maybe the game isint doing a good job of conveying the correct information.

Cheech

Good lord. I am wondering, and I mean I honestly want to know, why in the hell anyone would keep a preorder of this game and not return it. Reading the reviews, this is some straight up Tony Hawk: Ride levels of incompetence.

I just can't see anyone breaking the shrink wrap on this bad boy having read the reviews and thinking, "Man, all those guys who have played thousands of games are all wrong, I'm sure of it.".

diffusionx

Gold Member
It sounds like we are getting into Superman 64 territory here.

Has a developer ever followed up one of the best games ever with one of the worst games ever?

angelfly

Not surprised at all by this. They should have definitely opted to go the crazy controller route again rather than removing the best part of the first game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
YuriLowell said:
If a reviewer is missing something obvious, maybe the game isint doing a good job of conveying the correct information.

Or the reviewer isn't paying attention because they are doing a half-hearted job? Maybe they are just unobservant, or distracted, or bored... Whichever way you slice it, it doesn't look good if you as a supposedly "professional" and "expert" correspondent miss obvious details that your average game doesn't.

McElroy truly buried himself though by showing a complete lack of class when called out on this (regarding Nier) by rather than showing any sort of contrition for his abject failure as a commentator, and instead spewed bile at the game and towards the people who were calling him on it.

Truthfully, that should be professional suicide for any real journalist... however in the slap happy world of games reviewing he just moves onto another high-profile gig without censure.

And some people in the enthusiast press wonder why they are treated with suspicion and distrust?

Get your own house in order, before you start prating to other people about how to do their jobs.

/angry ex-developer rant over.

I was afraid the wonkiness of the instrument panel controls from the demo would still be as problematic in the final game. My copy is due soon, but I do find the harsh criticisms making me feel apprehensive.
I REALLY wanted this game to be good, but after playing the demo and after a good long cry, I decided that it's just too risky that the actual game will ship in the same condition.

Even playing the demo I became very frustrated to the point that I was almost ready to throw something. Eventually I got the hang of it to about an 80% success rate for most everything down the center of the screen, but I can't imagine trying to play and beat the actual 8+ hour game with this high of a rage inducing control scheme. I'm not going to put myself through that hell. For my own sanity.

But I will hold on to the demo and whip it out every once in a while, because the idea is very cool and fun when it does work. Maybe even pick it up for very very cheap somewhere down the line so I don't feel obligated to finish it and won't really care as much when it does screw up. I could just put it down and say "oh well".

shaowebb

Just proves that my instincts on this one were on the mark. I actually got in an argument the other day with a gamestop employee who thought this game was going to be the end all be all thing and that Kinect is the future of gaming. No Kinect is not the future and this game doesn't have a future guy.

What did I expect from someone who thought Duke Nukem Forever was incredible? Should've never rose to the bait of that conversation...

Man, I'm watching the Giant Bomb quick look right now, and this is a damn shame. The game seems like it would've been REALLY cool if it worked perfectly, maybe even a reason to own a Kinect.

But it doesn't. In a way, it seems like it was designed, difficulty-wise, with a controller in mind, but decided to put in Kinect controls that make it a bit more difficult without compensating for that.

I'm sad. Especially because all of these reviews have been SCATHING.

I can't help but notice similarities to when Demons Souls first came out before it had the cult hit status a lot of my friends said it was completely unplayable for them because of the lack of ability to pause, they would have given it a 1/10, and a lot of people couldn't pass the first level due to hard to learn controls, and complained about the decisions From Software made, like losing all of your XP when you die.

Top Bottom