• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Battallion Heavy Armour - "1/10" "It does not work" "Should not have shipped"

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Makes me wonder why Giant Bomb was raving about this game early on. If the problems are this fundamental, I have a hard time understanding how they had a good time with it.

Kinect is an intersting idea, it works well with very few games, but really shines in Xbox navigation. I use the voice commands when listening to iheartradio, or watching MLB.tv. When using your Xbox for a task that doesn't involve a controller in your hands, it works out well. But for gaming, it probably won't get good until next generation. This generation depends on perfect lighting, Kinect placement and perfect play area.

It's funny thinking back on people who were celebrating the announcement of this game for Kinect. Heralding it as the beginning for "hardcore" Kinect games.

I remember thinking "really?".

LiK

Makes me wonder why Giant Bomb was raving about this game early on. If the problems are this fundamental, I have a hard time understanding how they had a good time with it.

it had potential from previews and a lot of goofy ideas. too bad the execution was so flawed.

Goldmund

Good question.

Also, isnt Dance Central something that work like Just Dance, i mean "If it works ok but if it dont nobody is paying attention anyway..."
No, it actually is pretty precise, from my experience. But it doesn't have to interpret movement, it compares a still shot with a stencil.

A couple of points...

Kinect Sports soccer justifies the existence of the Kinect.

You are indeed "doing it wrong" if you're using Kinect to play Child of Eden. Playing in eye-melting 3D on the PS3 is the "true" experience.

It's a bummer about Steel Batallion. I was really looking forward to that game.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Bought a Kinect a month ago and the following week there was a Kinect XBLA sale. Bought the zoom so it would work in my small apartment and started playing. Everything I played worked great.

Tried Steel Battalian and it just didn't work. Felt so incredibly frustrating, especially since the game is augmented with the use of a controller. Every review that I didn't agree with saying "kinect doesn't work" basically applies to this game.

This was a fine review, you see how he wants to like the game and knows it has potential, but is fucking impossible becuase of kinect.

Antoher game that could be micghty fine, but kinect fucks it up, just like Disneyland Kinect Adventures. And its a pity becuase I would love going through (and playing the rides right) Disneyland using a controller or even a wiimote that woyld have worked much better even with wiis motion controls.
Kinects is just shit for the majority of games that are not simple enough.

Alx

Kinect Sports soccer justifies the existence of the Kinect.

I prefer volley-ball, but yeah it's great to be able to play a soccer/football game with your... feet. :p
(can't wait to be back at home and watch the giant bomb QL)

But for gaming, it probably won't get good until next generation. This generation depends on perfect lighting, Kinect placement and perfect play area.

It's been said before, but it's a common misconception that kinect requires good lighting. If it's not for face identification/tracking, the best lighting for kinect is no lighting at all. All additional lights will do is increase the chances of saturating the scene with infrareds.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I haven't been following this game at all, but I assume previews were conducted in controlled environments (e.g. PAX, as mentioned by Ben Kuchera).

Megasoum

Banned

The dude is throwing GB gang signs!

1410967-drew.png

Mdk7

One year ago, at the behind closed door showcase at Gamescom, it looked ABYSMAL.

Apparently (yet not surprisingly!), things have not improved in these months.

EXGN

Really too bad, it actually looked good (when it worked). It's sad that two years into Kinect's existence, the first question I ask when I'm about to buy a Kinect game is not "Is it good?" but "Does it work?" Hopefully Kinect 2 is infinitely better.

Derrick01

Banned
Really too bad, it actually looked good (when it worked). It's sad that two years into Kinect's existence, the first question I ask when I'm about to buy a Kinect game is not "Is it good?" but "Does it work?" Hopefully Kinect 2 is infinitely better.

It will only get better if you force a controller of some sorts. I've been saying this since Kinect was unveiled but you cannot do the types of games gamers like to play with no input at all. It just doesn't work, the games are too complex.

duckroll

It will only get better if you force a controller of some sorts. I've been saying this since it was unveiled but you cannot do the types of games gamers like to play with no input at all. It just doesn't work, the games are too complex.

But that's not the problem with this game in particular. It's bad because the implementation is broken for some reason, and it doesn't work like it should. If it did work the way it is supposed to, it would be a pretty damn neat mech simulation game.

The demo was actually playable, fun and worked well with Kinect so I'm wondering what the fuck went on here to end in such unmittigated disaster.

Though considering this is Capcom, this could be one of their regularly scheduled Capcpom Fuckups™ and someone did something dumb like somehow put an older version on the gold master. Really, how did such a good demo lead to a trainwreck of a game.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
But that's not the problem with this game in particular. It's bad because the implementation is broken for some reason, and it doesn't work like it should. If it did work the way it is supposed to, it would be a pretty damn neat mech simulation game.

Really? Because the Giant Bomb Quick Look made it look pretty damn bad regardless of controls.

Brad even says at one point something along the lines of 'this is a terrible game no matter what the controls'.

duckroll

The demo was actually playable, fun and worked well with Kinect so I'm wondering what the fuck went on here to end in such unmittigated disaster.

Though considering this is Capcom, this could be one of their regularly scheduled Capcpom Fuckups™ and someone did something dumb like somehow put an older version on the gold master. Really, how did such a good demo lead to a trainwreck of a game.

The guy in the video did not look like he had fun with the demo at all, nor did it look like it worked well, nor was it playable. Maybe you have a better set up than most people.

Really? Because the Giant Bomb Quick Look made it look pretty damn bad regardless of controls.

Brad even says at one point something along the lines of 'this is a terrible game no matter what the controls'.

That's his opinion on the type of game it is. He also mentioned that he does not like games which are too punishing, and that the fact that there is so much trial and error required to get through a mission turns him off. He later clarifies that there is a segment of gamers who would probably enjoy it. It's a mech simulation, not an action game or a normal shooter.

It will only get better if you force a controller of some sorts. I've been saying this since Kinect was unveiled but you cannot do the types of games gamers like to play with no input at all. It just doesn't work, the games are too complex.

Steel Battalion includes controller inputs as well. It's a hybrid game with the Kinect.

The real problem with trying to play a game this way is that any movement by the player on the couch can be interpreted as an "input". It's ridiculous, and it just shows the limitations the Kinect has.

IMO the Kinect ONLY succeeds when it's being asked to track the simplest of things. Punching minigames, kicking mini games, etc. Any time you try and go beyond that, things go horribly wrong. I think it's a very limited piece of tech that will never truly amount to anything worthwhile. I seriously regret buying it.

Fox Mulder

Maybe they can patch some of the gestures to the mostly unused controller. Sucks that the game is shit, but I figured kinect would be awful for this. Going from an awesome giant mech controller to this, sad.

Derrick01

Banned

But that says to me that they just couldn't figure out how to get it to work and had to give up. No one seems to know how to get games to work on this thing. It should be illegal to ship something that just doesn't work at all.

ultron87

I only got the demo to work if I was sitting in a folding chair, with nothing behind me, and at a very specific distance from the Kinect. And even then it wasn't particularly responsive and was hard as fuck.

mujun

If it's laggy and not precise it's not playable.

So what you are saying is that only PC gaming is "playable"?

Not that I'm defending this game. Until I read the Verge review I thought this game would be fun if the Kinect controls worked or you didn't have to use them. After reading the review it seems the game is badly designed on top of bad controls (short missions, unforgiving in spots, bad checkpointing, etc).

duckroll

But that says to me that they just couldn't figure out how to get it to work and had to give up. No one seems to know how to get games to work on this thing. It should be illegal to ship something that just doesn't work at all.

How is that any different from developers and publishers who ship out products with poor framerates, or terrible online netcode, or frequent crashing/freezing? Shoddy programming and poor QC isn't limited to the Kinect.

Gustav

Banned
How is that any different from developers and publishers who ship out products with poor framerates, or terrible online netcode, or frequent crashing/freezing? Shoddy programming and poor QC isn't limited to the Kinect.

This is not only shoody programming and poor QC. This is about not designing with the hardware limitations in mind.

ToxicAdam

I think it's hilarious/sad that one reviewer said there were worse games (for the Kinect)than one that is not even functional.

duckroll

This is not only shoody programming and poor QC. This is about not designing with the hardware limitations in mind.

I doubt this is a hardware limitation problem. People who complain about the problems in the game have repeatedly said (and showed) that the Kinect is actually detecting the motions correctly, and the calibration is working. The problem is how the game translates motions into game input. That is where the game seems to be completely screwed up.

Alx

I don't know all the gestures implemented in Steel Battalion, but for those I know (reaching for a lever, leaning, make goggle gestures,...) the hardware is more than adequate. It's all a matter of gesture recognition and sensibility, which is all software.
It's like blaming a bad voice recognition on the microphone... most of the time the sound quality is fine.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm not at all surprised.

Kinect, as it exists today, is a mess. Even when it works just as intended the results are generally less than exciting in that you have no feedback from the game. Only games which do not require any actual interaction with the game seem to work (ie - Dance Central or Fitness games). The second a game asks you to reach into the world everything falls apart.

I doubt this is a hardware limitation problem. People who complain about the problems in the game have repeatedly said (and showed) that the Kinect is actually detecting the motions correctly, and the calibration is working. The problem is how the game translates motions into game input. That is where the game seems to be completely screwed up.
I think the problem stems from both ends. The Kinect is EXTREMELY limited in what it can do reliably at this point and the developers of this game simply asked too much of the hardware.

What can be done with a current generation Kinect game is incredibly limited.

It's more a design issue. All kinect games offer a very limited range of actions to prevent things to be misunderstood.

For what it seems on the demo videos, there are a lot of different stuff that you can trigger with your hands, and some of them is very similar. Like "lean your arm 10 degrees to the left triggers something different then leaning your arm 20 degrees to the left", similar. Without any kind of hint on the screen.

KalBalboa

Banned
Reviews Editor's Note: Justin did not feel comfortable choosing a numerical score for Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor. However, as part of Polygon's standard review process, reviewers do not unilaterally select a score for their text. Instead, myself and at least one other editor discuss the text and then approach the reviewer with our thoughts on the score that seems most appropriate to the text, at which time a final score is determined. In this case, our rubric is clear in its demands for Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor. As a game that fails to function in a means that properly allowed our reviewer to complete the game, it's my decision as Reviews Editor of Polygon to score Steel Battalion as we have. 

-Arthur Gies, Polygon Reviews Editor

Am I the only one puzzled by this process? Correct me if I'm wrong (I mean that sincerely too) but does this mean that reviews at Polygon aren't scored by writers but by the interpretations of Polygon's editors? Or is that just for this one occasion?

Top Bottom