• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Battallion Heavy Armour - "1/10" "It does not work" "Should not have shipped"

duckroll

I hope Microsoft's check to From Software still cashes even with the poor reviews. I do like From Software as a studio a lot.

Why would the check go to From Software? They're just the hired developers by Capcom. MS would have moneyhatted Capcom to begin with, since this is Capcom's IP.

Midou

Its a shame that a game with actual interesting ideas for how kinect can be used in a core game has such poor execution.

Basically how I imagine any core game would end up on Kinect.

I also found it bizarre that this game seems nothing like the original, not even the robot..

Microsoft is the publisher,impossible
And... Thank you for the correction.

This sure bring back memories :D Remember when MS was so desperate with the first Xbox that it founded games for several high profile Japanese companies that either ended being not so great or ported later to other consoles.

Riposte

Is this a case of working conditions being hard to obtain/keep or it never working well?

Shame if it is really unplayable. Had hoped for dumb, but novel game.

Btw Child of Eden is plainly inferior on the kinect... with this and CoE out the way there is really no defending it. Crimson Dragon or w/e just delayed suddenly so I'm guessing that's bleak too.

EDIT: I love how you guys refuse to blame From.

kinggroin

Banned
Well, isn't the fact that Wii sales have declined so sharply and anecdotally they get hardly used anymore confirmation of some people's original view that there wasn't much fun there to begin with?

Oh wait wait... how about the complete lack of support from not only third parties, but Nintendo themselves. Maybe prematurely killing support is why wii sales have declined as fast as they have?

....naaaaaahhh. You're probably right. It has to be that 4 years later everyone woke up and realized that all the games they were playing up to this point, weren't any good at all. Yeah, that's it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Is there any black character in any video game that isn't a caricature?

This is more of an issue than the whole sexism thing going around.
I can name so few black characters who arent terrible.

StarHawk
Shadow Man
Tekken - The ninja guy
Half Life
Mass Effect 2 - Jacob was an awesome character
Beyond Good and Evil

I cant think of any other good black characters....i dont think Sazh from FF13 was particularly good but he wasnt gutter tier like the rest.

On Topic
I tried the demo......i nearly pulled my hair out, its one of the most frustrating games ive ever played.
Truly broken.
I dont understand why this couldnt have been a "better" with Kinect game.
Let people play the game with just a controller, but have the option to get fucked.

Haunted

I hope they patch it so you can play controller only, I might buy it then. It looks pretty cool. Would be a shame if all that work goes to shit because Kinect doesn't work.

I still remember when the GB guys sounded legitimately excited for this game. I honestly think it was legitimate too, at least from a few of them. It should make for a good QL at least.

Boogdud

How ironic that a game that shipped with arguably one of the best controllers ever created for a single game, is now in this gen a complete mess thanks to gimmicky motion controls.

The original Tekki/Steel Battalion is still one of the best mech games around. It's a damn shame that we don't have an online version of the original (or even a direct port of the expansion) for a fully realized xbox live now.

atomsk

Party Pooper
welp, gamefly shipped me this yesterday, should be here tomorrow

I've played/finished Hulk Hogan's Main Event... can it be any worse than that?

Haunted

welp, gamefly shipped me this yesterday, should be here tomorrow

I've played/finished Hulk Hogan's Main Event... can it be any worse than that?
That game is shovelware trash. This is on a completely different level, it looks like an actual, quality game...

...that you can't really play because of Kinect.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
It blew my mind just now seeing the ign review I thought people were looking forward to this. What a disaster.

LiK

too many gestures confuses the shit outta the Kinect. just watch someone play the demo. it's broken.

rakhir

That game is shovelware trash. This is on a completely different level, it looks like an actual, quality game...

...that you can't really play because of Kinect.
Everything other then kinect looks great: explosions are flashy, interior of the mech gritty and realistic, mech movement has the weight you expect, battle damage is significant.

Real shame that you don't have any control...

Choc

Banned
you know with a few tweaks such as changing the way to zoom into the periscope, viewfinder to a button press

and maybe a few extra button presses to avoid things

and making the game easier (its batshit hard like the first one), it could work

but you can't make a stupid hard game which relies on Kinect.

There is only a few motions that just do not owrk. Most work fine. Those that don't work should be button presses as they happen to be the most important ones :|

I played the demo and I thought the tutorial was fun, I had no issues with it and it had some real interesting controls. Once I got into to the first proper level though I got massacred. Seems like not much has changed.

umm, why exactly was this even made? looks like it doesn't work. the original worked.. so.. i don't get it. why switch a working control method to a broken one?

Interfectum

motion controls... lol

There is a reason why Kinect is being turned into a glorified mic... motion controls are awful for most games.

Alx

umm, why exactly was this even made? looks like it doesn't work. the original worked.. so.. i don't get it. why switch a working control method to a broken one?

To be fair, the original worked but required a gigantic and expensive controller that reduced its target audience a lot (although it was also part of the appeal). Replacing it with gestures could have been a reasonable idea, provided you make it work of course.

the worst is the lean forward to see where you are going, if it was a simple targetting computer that would be fine... but oh no, the lean detection is TERRIBLE...

Orobi

Maybe ther's a secret DLC hidden in the disc that users could buy next couples of weeks to fix the game.
Good job Crapcom!

Top Bottom