• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade demo launches on PS5 March 29, with save data carrying over to the full game

hubertuss03

Neo Member

>>> Stellar Blade | New Details & Gameplay

-Two difficulty settings: Normal and Story Mode
-Equally provides offensive and defensive skills, feels 'balanced and deep'
-Mostly linear but also full of wider, more open areas to explore
-Not just pure hack n' slash, emphasis on defense, dodge, parry, reading enemy attacks
-Large variety of bosses that can feel challenging
-Parrying multiple attacks allows Eve to carry out 'Retribution', a special attack
-Multiple dodge skills: 'Blink' and 'Riposte' to dodge specific types of attacks
-Beta Skills: Unique skills that accumulate that can cancel an enemy's attack if timed right
-Ranged weapons include a special gun Eve acquires
-Camps: Act sort of like bonfires in Souls games, can unlock shortcuts throughout levels but also areas for Eve to rest with different character cutscenes, flashbacks, etc
-There are simple puzzles and platforming, swimming underwater, finding chests, etc

Luipadre

This one is a bummer though. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Wtf

network closing GIF

Made a nice preview thread here:

I still can't get over how a video game forum could ban discussion on a video game, because some people get offended by it. It happened with Cyberpunk 2077, Hogwart's Legacy, and it looks like it'll happen with Stellar Blade. Again, it's a fucking video game forum.

I'm disgusted by their weakness.
Actually its illegal to ban someone or mute certain discussions for just voicing his or collective opinion(s) without directly insulting someone or a certain group, which he didnt.

RetardEra can spout all about their ToS, but the basic human rights rules apply here and supersede their ToS.
IF the user would make a case out of this, he'll win.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I still can't get over how a video game forum could ban discussion on a video game, because some people get offended by it. It happened with Cyberpunk 2077, Hogwart's Legacy, and it looks like it'll happen with Stellar Blade. Again, it's a fucking video game forum.

they get bent out of shape to shit and ban people trying to talk about the videogame part of a videogame on a videogame forum

saintjules

No Photo at launch sounds like an wild miss for the game.

Yeah it's interesting. People there are attacking the CEO of the developer because he supposedly opening works against feminism in the Companies' culture. That's just some of the jist I'm reading there.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Well not to sound too begrudged but just yesterday I was banned from ff7 ot thread for having my opinions on the game. Sure, I was a bit ham-fisted but still discussion is moderated. Sometimes well or not.
in this case it's probably for my own good... I guess

I am here on this forum because I escaped these idiots when it stated forming over at giantbomb. they banned me in 2018 as a long time paying Gb user since GB created memberships...
The stuff that happened here that lead to the creation of that shitstain of a place is the best thing that ever happened because we don't have these crazies here

Lambogenie

No Photo at launch sounds like an wild miss for the game.

Yeah it's interesting. People there are attacking the CEO of the developer because he supposedly opening works against feminism in the Companies' culture. That's just some of the jist I'm reading there.
The staff at dev that got fire were affiliated with a problematic group. It wasn't just because she was a feminist. So I think it goes deeper than whatever Era is letting on. Feminism is a vastly different beast in Korea and Asia compared to US, but era/westerners just project and think to know it all. Not saying feminism isn't warranted but it's very different.

Anyway, point is there is definitely more to the dev issue than "oh, she hates me and I love sexy women!"

The staff at era are mostly very smart people. They know that banning games is a bad idea, but they are afraid of the users.

Interesting post from a mod in another Stellar Blade thread that was on it's way to being locked with lots of bans.......

Reports are starting to pile up and I don't want to lock a third thread for this nonsense because people can't seem to stop antagonising each other or dismissing issues. Here are some quick guidelines and thoughts. My one and only attempt here.

• Stop the meta-commentary. Era member this, era members are not this. Community is progressive or not progressive. Everyone is different and draws their lines differently, supports different things in different ways and have different understandings and approaches. Era is far from perfect and persistently showing off the flaws to make any sort of point is only further frustrating whatever the conversation is.

• Subject ban request or discussion. That is "x should be banned from discussion because y was also banned" type stuff. Comparisons to prior bans are never correct and will only serve to further frustrations. It is inconsistent? Definitely, each situation was evaluated with a multitude of different reasons over a long period of time. Stop comparing them. We do ban for this type of commentary even though I hate doing it. No more please.

• It is fine to talk about why/why not to buy, play or like a game. You don't have to be defensive or dismissive or antagonistic about it.

• Sarcasm and snark. Don't @me if you get moderated because we didn't get your sarcasm or we deem it too spicy and thus more problematic than de-escalating. I'm frustrated. Members are frustrated. Just because moderators give you the benefit of the doubt doesn't mean members might and that can mean moderators need to consider de-escalation. A /s sign off is 2 characters and can go a long way.

• If you're tired of seeing the criticism and disappointment from commentary about sexism within the industry, that is perfectly understandable... I am also tired. Tired of people being dismissive about it when others manage to muster up energy to talk about these important things even when I don't have the energy to do so. The doors to other platforms that don't allow these discussion are just about in every direction you can see. I'm going to be a lot less lenient in reviewing this type of commentary going forward in this thread because its 2024 and Redacted has been trying to be better allies for a long time now. Lets try a little harder.

• Sexualisation is not inherently sexist. This is not a defense. Sexism includes considerations of sexualisation and if you still don't get it then I'll lay it out for you. The crux of these conversations deserves to be from a sexism lens. Not a this design/character/game ok or not. You could look at it in isolation but know that many are not and if you are commenting on it from solely this perspective then it might do you well to say so as to not come across as disregarding the elephant in the room.

• Sexism is rampant in our hobby. While we are disappointed when some of the more eggregious examples are still supported we need to do better than simply trying to shame members. We're not going to stop them from buying the game regardless and it deteriorates the topic from talking about the issues into talking about the users. I know its frustrating but I'd rather not have this escalate to the point I must start banning people for antagonising each other. By the number of reports I may still have to.

• Asking each other why we're still supporting a thing is... fine. Antagonising is not. Realistically we could look at all the other problematic thing and fall to very likely similar reasonings. There is no right or wrong answer and there is unlikely a happy one either. Still, this isn't off topic provided we're being sensible about it. I (somewhat hesitantly as I eye the reports queue) encourage discussion here. I think it is important for understanding and reflection but if you want honest answers we need to also accept responses that may not be to our liking. We need to allow that honestly for a chance to communicate in good faith. Shaming, antagonism is unlikely to be productive.

• Some members are likely conflicted and/or do not have a good understanding or cannot properly articulate their reasons and desires, sometimes trying to do so falls afoul of being dismissive or they don't post lest this happens. That is fine. For what its worth, as a moderator I'm judging the contents of a post not your character. We need to come to accept that some members want to enjoy the game and don't know how to come to terms with the problems. They remain silent sometimes not because they don't care but because they don't trust themselves not to make it worse for you and me and everyone.

• A lot of members (myself included) would do well to better their understanding of sexism and all its insidious systemic forms within our favourite hobby (and beyond really). We are not good at identifying it and worse at discussing it. Perhaps worse yet is that many of us are bad at listening and then another large portion fall silent and let things get worse and boil into a bit of a silent boys club feel. I understand being tired of everything but effort is needed and appreciated. If you don't know how to navigate these threads and these feelings. If you fear you might get banned when posting. If you don't understand why evoking your wife who doesn't even play games' opinion is inflammatory. If you feel attacked. If you cannot read past the venting. If nothing I say makes a drop of sense. It might be worth reflecting on this and scheduling some time to try and work out why. No one knows everything. We are all ignorant of everything until we learn.

I'll leave this last one outside the official staff tags because I don't want to hassle other mods who might need to consider reports on it's basis. But if you think it might apply to you then its time to reflect on that.
  • Sometimes you're making a good point and you're absolutely right. But you're still the biggest asshole in the room. I'm in an asshole banning mood, don't give me a target.
You have 20 minutes grace. Posts after this time that goes against this or the spirit of it I will consider with particular harshness that I don't like to bear. Ask for leniency from other mods.

Crayon

Interesting post from a mod in another Stellar Blade thread that was on it's way to being locked with lots of bans.......

Yah see how many words they have to use to get an ultimately simple point across. They know they have a problem with this:

Some members are likely conflicted and/or do not have a good understanding or cannot properly articulate their reasons and desires, sometimes trying to do so falls afoul of being dismissive or they don't post lest this happens. That is fine. For what its worth, as a moderator I'm judging the contents of a post not your character. We need to come to accept that some members want to enjoy the game and don't know how to come to terms with the problems. They remain silent sometimes not because they don't care but because they don't trust themselves not to make it worse for you and me and everyone.

... But they have created a monster. Actually, it was created here. They housed and fed it there and now they are stuck with a core of psychos. I'm not sure, but that post sounds like b-dubs and I've seen them at the end of their wits over things like this a few times. They know there's a problem.

Yah see how many words they have to use to get an ultimately simple point across. They know they have a problem with this:

Some members are likely conflicted and/or do not have a good understanding or cannot properly articulate their reasons and desires, sometimes trying to do so falls afoul of being dismissive or they don't post lest this happens. That is fine. For what its worth, as a moderator I'm judging the contents of a post not your character. We need to come to accept that some members want to enjoy the game and don't know how to come to terms with the problems. They remain silent sometimes not because they don't care but because they don't trust themselves not to make it worse for you and me and everyone.

... But they have created a monster. Actually, it was created here. They housed and fed it there and now they are stuck with a core of psychos. I'm not sure, but that post sounds like b-dubs and I've seen them at the end of their wits over things like this a few times. They know there's a problem.

I think that some mods know that there is a problem. Then there a still a couple that support the insane users on the forum. I do think that they know that banning talk about games is not healthy to the life of the forum itself.
People will just got to other places like here to talk about the games they like, which is a loss of revenue for them.

Edit:
I also find it hilarious that all criticism of the game in that thread completely died after that mod made the staff post.

Last edited:
Were they also outraged by Bayonetta?

Not only Bayonetta is also hot and curvy, but she gets naked when she attacks.

But I dont know why, that game gets a pass where this one doesn't

And that game is on a Nintendo console
Because it's game for Nintendo lmao, they get a pass from everything xD

Last edited:

Crayon

I think that some mods know that there is a problem. Then there a still a couple that support the insane users on the forum. I do think that they know that banning talk about games is not healthy to the life of the forum itself.
People will just got to other places like here to talk about the games they like, which is a loss of revenue for them.

Edit:
I also find it hilarious that all criticism of the game in that thread completely died after that mod made the staff post.

Some of the mods are morons. Most the senior staff are pretty sharp though.

I actually went to look at that thread to check in and honestly it seems like they are getting a little better. When I left all that stuff was at a fever pitch.

SkylineRKR

Game looks good. Gameplay i've seen seems more interesting than that of Automata which lacked challenge and impact. Stellar Blade seems to be about punishes. It might actually be a better and more versatile game than initially expected.

No. Bayonetta is seen as a gay icon afaik.

GymWolf

Nintendo game + they thought bayo was a lesbian icon or whatever before nintendo confirmed that she is all about turgid dicks.

Hugare

Game looks good. Gameplay i've seen seems more interesting than that of Automata which lacked challenge and impact. Stellar Blade seems to be about punishes. It might actually be a better and more versatile game than initially expected.

No. Bayonetta is seen as a gay icon afaik.
Wtf? Why? Is she gay?

I've only played some of the first game, never finished it. But even if she is gay, she is a good example of a character made for the "male gaze".

The camera close ups and etc. are even more sexually oriented in Bayonetta than Stellar Blade.
Maybe they get away with it by saying that she is aware of her sexuality or some other shit, but we all know its all bullshit.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
how many more hours

SkylineRKR

Wtf? Why? Is she gay?

I've only played some of the first game, never finished it. But even if she is gay, she is a good example of a character made for the "male gaze".

The camera close ups and etc. are even more sexually oriented in Bayonetta than Stellar Blade.
Maybe they get away with it by saying that she is aware of her sexuality or some other shit, but we all know its all bullshit.

I'd say Bayonetta draws about as much male gaze as prime Madonna did. Its really not that much for straight males. Its way too extravagant and flamboyant. I can see why LBGT gamers would fancy Bayonetta.

skit_data

Ouff I almost forgot about the demo launching tomorrow. I hope it gets released by midnight in the EU, then I might have time to try it. I will be way too busy tomorrow.

Wtf? Why? Is she gay?

Bayonetta is egregiously sexualized, she's the most blatant example aside from proper sexually themed games like Senran Kagura.

Despite not being gay, she has the LGTB armor so she can pose nude and put her groin in your face, it doesn't matter. It's the same reason why none is outraged at Kaine, from Nier Replicant. She walks around half-naked but has a "design armor" against critics.

There is another reason why Bayonetta gets a pass. She was from an era when nobody cared about this. So, the people who fake-rage today and didn't care back then can't retrace their footsteps so they need to either ignore the issue or make up convoluted excuses for that character to be "acceptable" by current standards.

If Bayonetta were made Today, she would be destroyed.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The purple seething gives me life.

Lol "NSFW I guess." Gimme a break. It's like high heels nude code with DOA boob physics and extra thicc hips just to make sure it's easily discernible even in the chaos of combat. Dude, this game makes me roll my eyes so hard I'm going blind from retinal detachment.

Top Bottom