• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STELLAR BLADE |OT| Twitter May Cry

Just fought the first alpha. Parrying feels spot on!

On the other hand sometimes with that blue counter thingy they flash blue for that counter but your weapon never flashes blue, maybe because of positioning. But it sux to be waiting for the counter prompt and it doesn't come

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The game has a lot of mechanics and outside of the platforming which could better when it comes to jumping & landing (the rest is fine) all of them are very well implemented.
Which is actually rare to not ever being the case with other games.
Shiftup is an impressive Studio
I really can't wait to see what next console game they make.

JayK47

This does sound like a game I would enjoy. Guess I need to grab a PS5 finally. It is likely to be 2 or more years for a PC release, if ever.

Reactions: Isa
The game has a lot of mechanics and outside of the platforming which could better when it comes to jumping & landing (the rest is fine) all of them are very well implemented.
I was a little annoyed platforming until adam told me one time to press circle in mid air after swinging off a pole to reach further. Ever since then if my jump isn't looking great I just correct it with a mid-air dash. I'm still early on though so I haven't really seen what type of platforming feats are required.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I was a little annoyed platforming until adam told me one time to press circle in mid air after swinging off a pole to reach further. Ever since then if my jump isn't looking great I just correct it with a mid-air dash. I'm still early on though so I haven't really seen what type of platforming feats are required.
The usual Tomb Raider/ uncharted type
That part is fine.
Jumping on to a moving platform ?
maybe-iffy.gif

But just need to adjust to how she jumps

ToneyJ

One thing i hope they fix is how fall damage works. Right now you take fall damage no matter what, even if you do an air dodge right before landing.

Crayon

Report:

Repulse can be used while not locked on. Get this: the command remains "down" no matter where the camera is. Not "away" from the enemy. You do have to be facing them, but you can swing the camera so the enemy is between eve and the camera with eve facing the camera, and it's still "down".

Same for blink. Funny, both automatically switch to locked-on when done successfully.

So it looks like the game is totally playable with no lock on. She doesn't even do that annoying dark souls thing where she swings at the ground when the camera is high.

It's harder because there is no auto-facing for the block or parry. So you have to do that manually. You can change facing while blocking just fine, thankfully. It would really be a handful if you had to change facing first.

Zheph

I'm really not trying to be a trolling prick but...

When does this pick up and get good like you're all saying?

Currently trying to get to hall of records - does it all kick off and start properly after that?

I'm technically not even in the game so to speak, I'm still in the tutorial?

Cos I'm bored off my tits at the minute...
Sell it when it holds a lot of value

Not every game is for everyone

Last edited:

Filben

Spent some time last night learning more the combos. Favorite one has to be the spin kick one (can't remember the name lol).

Basically Triangle > Square > Triangle. Hitting square again Square to do an additional attack and then another Triangle to do yet another one and finish the full combo off.

Easy to do and looks amazing.
This one is good and I often use it after that storming attack when you hold triangle and Eve flashes towards the enemy. Triangle, Square, Square, Triangle is also good. Nevermind, I like every combo in the game 😅

GymWolf

Yeah i can't fucking stand the music in this game, it was fine at first but it repeat too much and i just can't deal with this chick singing sad melodies on an high octane action game, i know people love the music in this game but i'm just gonna lower the volume, sometimes the chick sing even while i'm talking to people and i have to listen 2 voices, fuck that :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Boss fight music is good at least.

I thought i was alone but every streamer i saw to check the game before buying had the chat divided between people loving the music and people hating it because it was "too much".

On the other hand i'm loving the exploration, you can really miss a lot of shit, yesterday i unlocked the bunny costume but it's a bit ridicolous to fight and talk to people with that costume :lollipop_squinting:

Combat is a bit monotone for now, do basic combos until beta charge and then l1+square to win, hopefully it opens up a little later.
I didn't unlocked any of the moves that you can do after a parry or evade because they don't always get the input right and if i have to waste beta energy i'm gonna use it for an high damage move like l1+square over anything else, these moves should not consume any energy to be a viable choice imo, but then the game would be even easier.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Yeah i can't fucking stand the music in this game, it was fine at first but it repeat too much and i just can't deal with this chick singing sad melodies on an high octane action game, i know people love the music in this game but i'm just gonna lower the volume, sometimes the chick sing even while i'm talking to people and i have to listen 2 voices, fuck that :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I thought i was alone but every streamer i saw to check the game before buying had the chat divided between people loving the music and people hating it because it was "too much".

On the other hand i'm loving the exploration, you can really miss a lot of shit, yesterday i unlocked the bunny costume but it's a bit ridicolous to fight and talk to people with that costume :lollipop_squinting:

Combat is a bit monotone for now, do basic combos until beta charge and then l1+square to win, hopefully it opens up a little later.
I didn't unlocked any of the moves that you can do after a parry or evade because they don't always get the input right and if i have to waste beta energy i'm gonna use it for an high damage move like l1+square over anything else, these moves should not consume any energy to be a viable choice imo, but then the game would be even easier.
I follow you on the music.

I like here and there the ambient tracks but most of the time I can't stand it.
And don't get me started on the camp's music...
So far no boss music really stroke my ears.

Honestly this is the first time I consider turning off the music in a game. Rolling my eye so much when I hear some tracks.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

This was my line of thinking early on but I think most of the variety in the game wears a little thin as the game drags on. Nothing is bad, though the platforming can feel uneven, which is commendable. The boss fights are the star of the show and my second favorite part is the shooting sections but those are far too easy because of the generous lock-on. Like most games these days, I think it would have been better as a tighter experience and focused on their core strengths. The pacing in the game can be a little rough too.

Reactions: TGO
The music is great but it should be more dynamic in certain areas where you spend many hours. This is done perfectly in Nier Automata and it's a bit letdown they didn't nail it here. Instead of patching back outfits, I would like them to correct this.

Also, they should keep the death animation that you only see if you got reviving items.

The shooting sections should be more difficult, but overall I think it's fine, like DMC 3 on normal. Bosses force you to learn patterns. Juggernaut is destroying me, I can't parry anything that bastard throws at me.

Exede

Finished it with the true Ending
The Ending left me super confused behind until the post credits rolled

Solid 8.5 game, will play it again in NG+

Kupfer

Matrix 11.
I've spent far too long in Wasteland because I turn over every stone, there's so much to discover.
There's another area in the Wasteland that I haven't been able to get to yet, and Gigas V.2 and Brute V.2 gave me quite a hard time before Matrix 11. I actually prefer to complete an area before continuing with the story, but I had to continue here to level up. I can imagine that the two bosses won't be such a problem after Matrix 11.
My GotY 2024 so far.

GymWolf

I follow you on the music.

I like here and there the ambient tracks but most of the time I can't stand it.
And don't get me started on the camp's music...
So far no boss music really stroke my ears.

Honestly this is the first time I consider turning off the music in a game. Rolling my eye so much when I hear some tracks.
Boss fights music is generic rock, not the best but way better than the exploration music.

Last edited:

Filben

I'm with you 100% on all of the above. I already was scpetical on the demo about this and sadly it didn't get better in the full version. I can't say when was the last game I've found the music mediocre at best but mostly annoying. It's the only gripe I have with the game after roughly 11 hours. Otherwise it's so damn good.

Garibaldi

I hope I can go back to do the random direction chest in the zone when you only have your gun. I was about 8 rums deep by that point at could not for the life of me complete it.

Bartski

Gold Member
I hope I can go back to do the random direction chest in the zone when you only have your gun. I was about 8 rums deep by that point at could not for the life of me complete it.
You can fully backtrack all areas except some parts of Spire 4, but then the game lets you re-obtain items you might have missed there by fishing them out of the oasis. Another example of great game design in my book.

Man, I didn't think I would enjoy this game this much! The combat is really good, and the exploration is so much fun especially when it rewards you with some sweet outfits 😏.

I've already put in around 17 hours, and I think I'm almost done with the Wasteland, Xion, and Eidos 7 areas (I believe I'm just missing a few cans and one costume that's locked behind a tedious quest).

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It sucks you cant buy or unlock some sort of map for Eidos 7. Im excited to go back and clean up, but Ill be damned if I remember the areas like I did last week. At least there's fast travel.

Probably going to have to look up guides :messenger_expressionless:

Last edited:

GymWolf

It sucks you cant buy or unlock some sort of map for Eidos 7. Im excited to go back and clean up, but Ill be damned if I remember the areas like I did last week. At least there's fast travel.

There is a fake barricade in the sewer that is easy to miss with an important thing behind.

tommib

Eidos 7 is not that big. Just fast travel to where you think you need to go and use the distance markers.

It’s not ideal and there’s no excuse for not having a map of the area.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Eidos 7 is not that big. Just fast travel to where you think you need to go and use the distance markers.

It’s not ideal and there’s no excuse for not having a map of the area.

Oh so the side quest markers will still show up on the compass?

You Dont Say Stand Up GIF

Didnt even think of that. Christ Im dumb.

Don't think this was mentioned anywhere, but a dev friend of mine told me that Stellar Blade might be using the 'Kawaii Physics' plugin judging by the credits. This specific plugin has been used in various Japanese UE4 games, like for example GBF Versus, SMT5, KoF, etc.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How much carries over to NG+, in case I just want to do a critical path speed-run to see the other endings?

Doomtrain

For anyone who’s gotten the platinum or seen the trophy list, can you say (spoiler-free) what the most difficult/time consuming parts are? Do you have to beat the game on hard (sounds fun) or do anything especially tedious (less fun)?

Madflavor

For anyone who’s gotten the platinum or seen the trophy list, can you say (spoiler-free) what the most difficult/time consuming parts are? Do you have to beat the game on hard (sounds fun) or do anything especially tedious (less fun)?

There's no difficulty trophy, but there is a trophy for NG+.

The most time consuming trophies are probably Fishing (depending on your RNG) and collecting Cans.

Top Bottom