• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellaris Multiplayer Thread | Comet Sighted!

Kabouter

We might have to make 2 European games as well. I have this feeling that max players might not be running very smoothly (especially with players who have weaker systems, like myself), so halving the player count might be advisable.

Furthermore, we'll need people who are able to host the games, as well.

Could always try splitting it into a more casual and a more competitive experience. Like, you could make a game where people start with a player truce like they did in the London MP session at Paradox and you could make one where all bets are off from the start. That way, everybody should be able to get the sort of experience they want.

Could always try splitting it into a more casual and a more competitive experience. Like, you could make a game where people start with a player truce like they did in the London MP session at Paradox and you could make one where all bets are off from the start. That way, everybody should be able to get the sort of experience they want.

Yeah, that sounds like a solid idea. A softer and a harsher ruleset. :) And the Americans can decide whatever they'd like.

Pretty good idea!

Lach

Would be pretty epic if we could have a 30-40 player multiplayer game, though I see how it makes sense to make two more reasonable sized sessions.

Edited my post with location >.>

Sorry.

eBRBOWR.gif

I think that's a really good idea. Both ways should make for some interesting mp so I don't mind either way, but I"m sure some people would prefer one or the other.

Alright, so here's my first drafts of the casual and competitive rulesets. Tell me what you think.

General:

Technical:
1. If you consistently cause the game to drop below Normal speed, you will be kicked for the duration of the session.

Gameplay:
2. Pausing only allowed when DoW happens to you. Then during the war it isn't acceptable. Players can pause once to make peace deals, but only for 25 seconds or so. PvP wars are not exempted.

3. A general anti-exploit rule. Basically, if it looks like an exploit, then don't do it. Don't try to circumvent rules through trickery. If you're unsure if something violates this rule, ask.

Empire Creation:
4. Try to avoid using too many similar colours, symbols and species. We might introduce the more colour mod if it works for MP so we can have more variety in that regard.

Casual:
The casual session is aimed at players who only want to do PvP incidentally or in a very limited fashion.

5. Players may not guarantee, ally, or be guaranteed by more than 1 other player nation prior to 2300, 2 other prior to 2400, or 3 others prior to 2550. An alliance may not have more than 3 player nations prior to 2300, 4 player nations prior to 2400, or 5 player nations prior to 2550. This rule does not count for any player controlled subjects a player might have. Indirect involvement in wars (for instance threatening someone with an attack unless they don't engage in a war against human players) counts as an alliance for the player being helped and thus is only allowed if the player being helped does not exceed its human ally limit in this fashion.

6. Player nations that are AI-controlled (absent players) are open to attack once they miss three straight sessions, you can attack during that third session. If the AI attacks another player in his absence, they can demand up to 50% war score, but no more. If an AI playing for a human nation joins a war against a human player as a third party, up to 25% war score may be demanded from that country.

7. For PVP wars: Achieving an overall war score of 80% also means the losing side must automatically meet the demands of the winning side. Peace demands can not exceed 100% war score. People can't be forced to peace out separately in a PvP war, to avoid peace demands from being truly excessive. Similarly, don't circumvent the war score cap by declaring multiple wars as a single alliance. If you do this, the total demands can't be more than 100%. If non-aligned human players both attack another human player, this obviously does not apply.

8. The first session will have a global non-aggression pact between all players. If an AI allied to another player wants to declare upon a player nation during this session, the player nation allied to the AI must decline that declaration of war.

9. Researching Jump Drive and Synthoids is prohibited (i.e. the Unbidden and AI revolt crises cannot be caused by players). Of course there's still the Swarm crisis which happens randomly, or maybe the AI researches those tech.

Potential addition is that all players use the same FTL type.

Competitive
The competitive session is aimed at players who don't mind PvP. This session can involve people piling up on each other, or betrayal between players (though if you are a backstabber, be aware nobody will trust you any longer).

5. Player alliances can be as big or small as desired.

6. Absent players' nations are only protected for one session, and if the AI declares war on another player, taking 100% warscore is allowed.

7. PVP wars are everything goes.

8. No global non-aggression pact during the first session.

9. All technologies are allowed. It is up to the players to counter any pan-galactic threats.

10. If you get knocked out, please don't be a sore loser. A bit of salt is fine, but don't be rude to the players who beat you.

Here, all FTL types are fine of course.

Galaxy type, number of AIs and advanced AI starts, as well as AI difficulty shall be decided later.

Since the NA group is only 9 players atm, you guys will have to decide whether to play with the Europeans (depending on time), or settle on a ruleset for yourselves.

If you want to work out something that isn't exactly the competitive or casual rules I've posted, feel free to discuss whatever changes you want to make here.
Also, for the Europeans, if you want to suggest changes to either rulesets, please do. It's a first draft based on what I've played and watched so far.

For instance, for the casual ruleset, we can instate allowing the Synthoid/Jump Drive techs to be researched at point X in the game (since one of the 3 late game crises can happen anyway), or to change the time limits on the alliance/guarantee rules (since Stellaris' years are longer than EU4's).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
After I just had a huge alliances war in my SP game, I'm definitely in the Competitive pool. The battles will be something to remember.

Lach

I'll go with casual.
Having only the first session pacified is not too bad, and preventing alliances from becoming to big is a good thing in my book as well...

Casual sounds both too boring and too complicated. No Jump Drives or AI research, what even is this? And the alliance rules are just asking to get broken.

Kinda wish there was a middle one, tbh. "Don't be a backstabbing dick," but with less formality, lol.

Lach

Casual sounds both too boring and too complicated. No Jump Drives or AI research, what even is this? And the alliance rules are just asking to get broken.

Kinda wish there was a middle one, tbh. "Don't be a backstabbing dick," but with less formality, lol.

It's similar to the rules the Neogaf EU4 multiplayer sessions had and that didn't have a lack of competitiveness and backstabbing from what I heard.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Casual rules are mostly to prevent 10 player vs 1 day 1 dickery, and etc. The major difference from our standard EU4 MP rules are probably the 1st session non-aggression pact and the tech limits, which is fine by me for the first MP session, since most people have barely played the game yet.

Top Bottom