• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellaris |OT| Imperium Universalis

DBT85

Hah that was hilarious. I think it was just because he'd been in another country for two days playing multiplayer and drinking :)

Oh for sure, and playing that multiplayer and I think another multiplayer too.

Obviously as the viewer who watched the previous ep 12 seconds ago you just want to buy the man a pen and paper to leave himself a note lol.

Does anyone have the official unlock time? I've looked but it doesn't seem to be definitive.

It's WhenTheyAreReadyOclock I think.

DMTripper

Wonderful OT... Subbed!

I've been on the fence with this one as it'll be my first 4x game. I've been watching the paradox streams and some stuff on YouTube. I'll join the fun soon!

Dabbled with EU 4 but couldn't get into it, will give this one a bash though.

Do we know if it has that weird mix of real time and turn based action? That completely through me with EU 4
EU4 is all realtime. You can just pause it of course. Stellaris will be the same. Much more interesting then turn-based. When playing that in Total War for example, the waiting just kills me. Here you continue playing all the time, but can pause if it gets overwhelming or you have more stuff to do.

That worries me. To be honest, I tend to get bored of long campaigns, and with my limited amount of free time (gaming time is around 8-12 hours a week) this simply might not be for me. Looks really interesting, but it just might not be a good fit at this moment.
Just make a small galaxy. You also don't have to play a campaign for dozens of hours. Trying new starts and see how it goes for a bit is just as fun for me.

Can't wrap my head around this game's gameplay? Is it more like company of heroes in space or XCom? What about the story?

I'd recommend reading this post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202926019&postcount=101

as well as watching either the GB QL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmX5TElLns

or Quill18's Let's Play series on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TI9tzLD8WQ (part 1)

To generally answer your question, it's like neither of the games you mentioned, and the stories are really about player driven narrative (based on what happens in a game) rather than having a pre-defined one. For example, read this:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/05/06/stellaris-preview-events/

Sarek

I loved Sins of a Solar Empire, didn't get into the Homeworld Remastered, what are the chances I'd enjoy this?

Well it's definitely closer to SoSE than Homeworld, but still relatively different from both of them. Best advice is probably to watch some lets play's before buying it.

I loved Sins of a Solar Empire, didn't get into the Homeworld Remastered, what are the chances I'd enjoy this?

It's not really like either of those games, so that's not a great barometer. Have you played any of Paradox's other titles?

I'd say if you enjoy 4X games in general, then you should definitely check it out - potentially genre defining game right here.

Pretty good. Homeworld is a pretty pure RTS with 3-dimensional gameplay (as opposed to a 2D plain like most RTSes), while Stellaris, much like Sins, is a lot closer to your regular 4X game. But this game is a lot different from those two.

For instance, unlike either of those games, combat is not based on your tactics. You have very little input on what your ships are doing beyond telling them to move to point X or retreating.

Savitar

Well it's definitely closer to SoSE than Homeworld, but still relatively different from both of them. Best advice is probably to watch some lets play's before buying it.

This doesn't play like either of those games, have you watched any of the streams?

It's not really like either of those games, so that's not a great barometer. Have you played any of Paradox's other titles?

I'd say if you enjoy 4X games in general, then you should definitely check it out - potentially genre defining game right here.

Pretty good. Homeworld is a pretty pure RTS with 3-dimensional gameplay (as opposed to a 2D plain like most RTSes), while Stellaris, much like Sins, is a lot closer to your regular 4X game. But this game is a lot different from those two.

For instance, unlike either of those games, combat is not based on your tactics. You have very little input on what your ships are doing beyond telling them to move to point X or retreating.

Thanks for the reply, looking up some youtube videos. Is there any videos or what not that I should watch? Looking at the developers right now in their multiplayer game.

Thanks for the reply, looking up some youtube videos. Is there any videos or what not that I should watch? Looking at the developers right now in their multiplayer game.

Seconding the Quill recommendations. The official Paradox stream has also been pretty good - they knew what they were talking about and it wasn't hideously awkward, at least - so try checking that out.

I'd also give the Dev Diaries a read, incredibly informative and in depth. Should be able to find relatively easily through Google.

Walshicus

I'm feeling pretty smug that I booked *Tuesday* as annual leave instead of Monday. Get home around 19:00 (WEST) so it's dinner with the missus and then 36 hours of nothing but Stellaris. Maybe sleep.

Only thing that might get in the way is that I bought through Green Man Gaming and they only post the keys when the game is launched. I take it they have a decent track record here?

Thraktor

Is there anything more to the combat tactics than the rock-paper-scissors 3 weapon types thing? Reminds me a lot of Endless Space at the moment.

Well, there's a bit of rock-paper-scissors with how different weapons affect shields and armour, but there are also things like weapon distance which can make a big impact. During the multiplayer stream one of the players amassed a huge fleet of ships with powerful, but short-range weapons. He got absolutely destroyed, though, as even though he had a much bigger fleet, his opponent had long-range weapons which could take out most of his ships before they fired a single shot.

The mix of ships in your fleet seems to play into things as well (although the videos I've seen haven't gone into it as much, as it's more of a mid to late game issue). If one of your enemies only used the largest ships, for example, you could potentially zerg-rush them with appropriately designed small ships.

I guess they made a mistake with the release time.
The release is now scheduled for 18:00 CEST.

Got an update from HQ, OP has been updated slightly.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/281990/discussions/0/357285562487980826/#c357285562488299107

Stellaris is scheduled to be available to play on Steam around -
9th May, 18:00 CEST

http://steamcommunity.com/app/281990/discussions/0/357285562487980826/#p4

So good news, everyone!

I start work at 10am tomorrow (The exact release time for me!) I may have to just tell my girlfriend I am locking myself in my room to just play this game all night.

Purkake4

Banned
Well, there's a bit of rock-paper-scissors with how different weapons affect shields and armour, but there are also things like weapon distance which can make a big impact. During the multiplayer stream one of the players amassed a huge fleet of ships with powerful, but short-range weapons. He got absolutely destroyed, though, as even though he had a much bigger fleet, his opponent had long-range weapons which could take out most of his ships before they fired a single shot.

The mix of ships in your fleet seems to play into things as well (although the videos I've seen haven't gone into it as much, as it's more of a mid to late game issue). If one of your enemies only used the largest ships, for example, you could potentially zerg-rush them with appropriately designed small ships.
I guess that's something, but it really is missing a lot of the tactical options you get in say Europa Universalis. I think there's a lot of potential for evolving the different FTL types and possibly having ways to delay/restrict them (Star Ruler 2 might be good inspiration here). Also I'm really missing carriers with fighters, not sure if that's included in some of the late game, can't have a space game without carriers.

I'm waiting and seeing at the moment, there's a lot of potential here, but I do fear that we'll need a few DLCs to really get it going.

Savitar

Watch Quill18's videos; they're very informative for players new to the genre.

I might recommend watching Quill18's Let's Play from the beginning. Give it two or three episodes and see what you think.

Seconding the Quill recommendations. The official Paradox stream has also been pretty good - they knew what they were talking about and it wasn't hideously awkward, at least - so try checking that out.

I'd also give the Dev Diaries a read, incredibly informative and in depth. Should be able to find relatively easily through Google.

Thanks again, watching the dev stuff I like the look of the game so far, the nature of it and how it is. I'll check out Quill after this first vid is done, I think the game will be pretty appealing especially if can sink lots of hours into. I need a good game like that.

Also the Blorg kinda look like poo that became sentient.

I guess that's something, but it really is missing a lot of the tactical options you get in say Europa Universalis. I think there's a lot of potential for evolving the different FTL types and possibly having ways to delay/restrict them (Star Ruler 2 might be good inspiration here). Also I'm really missing carriers with fighters, not sure if that's included in some of the late game, can't have a space game without carriers.

I'm waiting and seeing at the moment, there's a lot of potential here, but I do fear that we'll need a few DLCs to really get it going.

Carriers are in the game, with fighter and bomber wings. The differences in technology, weapon types and compositions seems pretty pronounced. I'd hope for a similar depth as EU4 at the least.

Purkake4

Banned
Carriers are in the game, with fighter and bomber wings. The differences in technology, weapon types and compositions seems pretty pronounced. I'd hope for a similar depth as EU4 at the least.
I guess I'll look at some more videos, the early-mid game battles have all pretty much looked like throwing 2 numbers against each other with some minor differences by weapon type.

Also the Blorg kinda look like poo that became sentient.

You can't badmouth the Blorg like that! They only want you to be their friend.

Also, I bought the game with the 25% discount on GMG a few days ago. Will they send me the Steam Key tomorrow as they haven't given me one yet?

Well, they don't really make 4X games and this one's only partially one, so yes it would be easiest by default. ;)

If you haven't checked it out, this instructional LP for CK2 is a pretty easy way to get familiar with one of their games.

http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

Ah yeah, they are grand strategy right? Or maybe I am messing up their genre =)

Thanks for the site! I will definitely check out. I tried watching the in game tutorials and people on youtube playing EU3 and EU4. I think I need to have one PC with the game going and something else with videos. They definitely make the type of games that get me really excited but then I psyche myself out because it has the extreme complexity that excites me. Like Starburt, I am a contradiction.

Thraktor

You can equip the larger ship types as carriers, by choosing sections with hangar slots, and then choosing a strike craft for each slot (you start off with fighter and bomber craft, and can research more).

In their ship designer dev diary you can see a design with a hangar slot:

index.php

It's the yellow slot at the top marked H. You should be able to configure the ship with more of these slots to make it a "pure" carrier.

I guess I'll look at some more videos, the early-mid game battles have all pretty much looked like throwing 2 numbers against each other with some minor differences by weapon type.

I'd check out Quill's post mortem in the multiplayer event, it reassured a few of my worries about the combat.

Shaldome

Also Martin said in one of the streams, that all ship types have uses later on. So you would be in a disadvantages if you fleet contains only battleships and no cruisers and destroyers.

Duffman

I wonder when paradox will start sending steam keys if you pre ordered the game from their own store front. Hopefully not long after it's made available to download on steam.

Savitar

You can't badmouth the Blorg like that! They only want you to be their friend.

Also, I bought the game with the 25% discount on GMG a few days ago. Will they send me the Steam Key tomorrow as they haven't given me one yet?

They also look like the lava/rock things in the original Star Trek Spock and Kirk interacted with.

I'm feeling pretty smug that I booked *Tuesday* as annual leave instead of Monday. Get home around 19:00 (WEST) so it's dinner with the missus and then 36 hours of nothing but Stellaris. Maybe sleep.

Only thing that might get in the way is that I bought through Green Man Gaming and they only post the keys when the game is launched. I take it they have a decent track record here?

Their track record is pretty decent. You have good chance to get your game as promised.

I have to say, in addition to just being excited for the base game, I'm really read to throw money at whatever DLC they release for this. Since they aren't locked into pseduo-historical and can do sci-fi whatever, they'll be able to do some really interesting things.

Steel

Banned
I have to say, in addition to just being excited for the base game, I'm really read to throw money at whatever DLC they release for this. Since they aren't locked into pseduo-historical and can do sci-fi whatever, they'll be able to do some really interesting things.

To be fair, they were more than willing to do whatever in previous games.

I mean, those aztecs invading europe...

Top Bottom