• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellaris |OT| Imperium Universalis

I think this is what everyone but the uber-fans do.

I'm roughly 100% caught up on CK2 & EU4 DLC, minus the last expansions or two. I don't bite until they hit -75% on Steam Holiday sales 6 or so months down the road.

Keeps me 100% up to date without killing my wallet in the process.

Smart man, er, fungoid.

I caved and picked up this and TW Warhammer.

Of the 2 I'm a little concerned for the latter. The last 'big' TW game (Rome 2) was pretty bad.

DBT85

Watching Arumba's video series on Stellaris is great to figure out what not to do in your start.

Per ardua ad astra, indeed.

Man, I'm banging my head watching Quill keep missing a system with 10 society research and his construction ship being stuck because he's too busy doing 395 clicks a second on stuff.

I couldn't handle Arumba.

"Happiness is irrelevant"

"Fallen Empires are passive, they won't mind me rivaling them."
"The special modifiers on planets don't matter, I might as well colonize this Fallen Empire's Holy World."

:p (not from his videos mind you, but during the big London MP)

1SdePSU.gif

Impulsor

You all don't have to worry about anything, just let me take care of stuff, save some lives and just give me your planets and territories.

Resistance is futile.

Impulsor Dominion is the only one that will come on top.

Anno

Fair point. Any word on how well it works with that controller? I just got it and haven't played any games similar to Stellaris yet.

Hard to say. I would assume it'll work decently since there isn't much that requires much precision instantly, if anything. I actually liked how it worked with Pillars of Eternity which I suppose isn't too different in complexity than this.

As an outsider to these kind of games, they look intimidating. What is amazing about them compared to any other genre? Sorry for the open query, it's just I'm trying to broaden my horizons to try more strategy games. I always see threads for strategy games and see so many people get really excited for them, but I'm never clear what I'm missing out. I liked Homeworld DoK, but I have a suspicion that my lack of experience with strategy games makes me unfit to grapple what seems like a more advanced systems-heavy sub-genre. Is the fun in mastering the systems or is it in cool gameplay stories/emergent storytelling?

Anno

As an outsider to these kind of games, they look intimidating. What is amazing about them compared to any other genre? Sorry for the open query, it's just I'm trying to broaden my horizons to try more strategy games. I always see threads for strategy games and see so many people get really excited for them, but I'm never clear what I'm missing out. I liked Homeworld DoK, but I have a suspicion that my lack of experience with strategy games makes me unfit to grapple what seems like a more advanced systems-heavy sub-genre. Is the fun in mastering the systems or is it in cool gameplay stories/emergent storytelling?

I'm sure it's both to different people, but for me it's definitely this. These kind of games are amazing for just throwing together a set of rules and seeing what cool stories come from a bunch of systems colliding together. Stellaris goes further in providing actual mini-storylines within the game itself that I'm sure will add loads of flavor to a specific playthrough.

Paradox has a talent for modelling very complicated real world things into video game systems. This creates a lot of opportunities for the coveted emergent gameplay/story experiences, as mentioned. Sort of like a bit more reigned in Dwarf Fortress, except with efforts pointed towards tactics/strategy instead of survival.

This game is their attempt to take these talents into the hypothetical space future. Which is exciting for many reasons.

Both, really.
There's an inherent challenge in managing an empire. You have to oversee economy, population growth and happiness, research, military, diplomacy, etc. These aspects are appealing, especially if you are in a difficult position (e.g. your starting position is unfavourable, or you're wedged between a few stronger opponents). That on itself is challenging, but there's a lot more aspects to this.
You have to prioritize the resources you have available (e.g. what is going to benefit you the most with that enemy empire about to declare war on you - better tech, more ships, or bribing another empire to ally with you?) in order to progress, while you are able to secure strategically important locations that provide more resources or a bottleneck to choke enemy forces through.
Is the situation especially hairy, then you can come up with creative ways to get out of them. The guy who did the GiantBomb quick look of Stellaris, for instance, had a part of his population that was very unhappy and about to rebel. So in order to weaken their faction, he basically gerrymandered the rebellious population by spreading the planets they influenced across several sectors, thus essentially making them a non-issue in his empire. You can only come up with this kind of solution in a complex strategy game.

It's hard to explain the appeal of complex strategy games, but they're really addicting, and it's easy to lose track of time when completely engulfed in them. The work of you leading your empire is never done, after all. :)

ShinZed

It's hard to explain the appeal of complex strategy games, but they're really addicting, and it's easy to lose track of time when completely engulfed in them. The work of you leading your empire is never done, after all. :)

This so much. Strategy and Builder games are like a time abyss for me. So hype for tomorrow.

Also, to add to my earlier post:
Strategy games tend to be the most intense games I play, and I've been through playing all kinds of genres, including shooters on a semi-professional level. Nothing has me stuck to the edge of my seat than my empire being in a tight spot that I have to weasel my way out of.

Stiler

Man, I was about to pre order this on gmg but when I try to login it says my account has been deleted, wtf? Did their new site design delete all old accounts or something?

I love Grand Strategy because it allows me to conquer all of Central and Southern Europe, Anatolia and Egypt as Tuscany, become HR Emperor and become a global superpower, and make that feel extra specially great because it was so damn hard.

Anno

I like the mushrooms with the big caps that slowly rain down blue dust, so probably that. If not then maybe the turtle creatures.

delirium

Does anyone think that Paradox will sell the Nova edition DLC separately in the future for a couple of bucks? I really can't justify $10 ($7.5 on GMG with coupon) for just a soundtrack that I'm never going to listen to, a forum badge, and an extra race DLC.

Does anyone think that Paradox will sell the Nova edition DLC separately in the future for a couple of bucks? I really can't justify $10 ($7.5 on GMG with coupon) for just a soundtrack that I'm never going to listen to, a forum badge, and an extra race DLC.

They sell a lot of portrait-related DLC for their other games, so maybe in a pack somewhere down the road?

A Paradox OT getting this many posts pre-release? Yeah, they have a hit on their hands.

The odds are good, they've done it with similar preorder stuff for their previous games.

My position is kind of odd, because I've never played much grand strategy, but I know why I want to play them. My mindset comes from my time with the tutorials and some play, and a lot of reading about these games. Stellaris will be the first I really sink my teeth into.

Unlike any other medium, games aren't mere conduits for us to enjoy stories, but can generate new stories themselves. While RPGs and other genres are good at this, there are a few that I would argue are natural "story generators". They usually combine systems-driven gameplay, open worlds, and open-ended mechanics to deliver emergent moments. Project Zomboid, DayZ, STALKER, Minecraft, and so on. But perhaps none more so than grand strategy games. Especially Paradox grand strategy games.

They're challenging games of management and both short-term and long-term planning. Success relies not just on turn-by-turn tactics, but foresight, thinking of how your decisions will affect you a generation, a century, two centuries down the line in-game. They have an epic scope and macro scale that can't be matched, entire continents and nations, populations and cultures. These games simulate things other games rarely touch, like the spread and influence of religion to the familial relationships of dynasties

But deeper still, all those turns and choices and numbers become something more. Much like how you can get invested in the @ in a game like Nethack, these game's numbers and portraits coalesce into epic tales of rival nations, of generations-old grudges erupting into all out war, of backstabbing kings and puppet vassals, of underhanded treaties and deft political maneuvering.

Stellaris takes this to a new height literally, leaving squabbling nations and feuding families behind and launching into the stars. Paradox has embraced the wonder of science fiction and the thrill of space operas, letting you rise from a new civilization dipping its toe into the galactic circle to a universe-conquering empire. From concepts rarely used in games like uplifting to the classic trope of the technologically advanced precursor races, to the need to consider the pros and cons of wormholes versus hyperlanes, Stellaris is a space opera of your own to mold and craft as you see fit.

That's why we're excited

Kvik

Throwing some mod ideas out there:

- New race class "Crystalline", basically silicone based entities. So I can make The Chenjesu, which later on can be join up with a robot population (Maybe Mmrnmhrm). They'll join up to become the Chmrr (OK, I love Star Control 2)

- How about some alternate type of transport. First you have a rare, strategic resource you have to mine (Let's call it Melange), and a building called "The Spacing Guild". Spending this resource will transport you anywhere in the galaxy faster than any other means of travel, but you will need "Navigators" with psionic abilities as the leader (OK, I love Dune as well)

Geist-

It's not even really a race, it's a portrait. Definitely not worth the premium unless you absolutely love the soundtrack.

I'm sure most of it will be sold separately, but even if it's not it's not exactly something people should feel bad about missing out on.

Throwing some mod ideas out there:

- New race class "Crystalline", basically silicone based entities. So I can make The Chenjesu, which later on can be join up with a robot population (Maybe Mmrnmhrm). They'll join up to become the Chmrr (OK, I love Star Control 2)

- How about some alternate type of transport. First you have a rare, strategic resource you have to mine (Let's call it Melange), and a building called "The Spacing Guild". Spending this resource will transport you anywhere in the galaxy faster than any other means of travel, but you will need "Navigators" with psionic abilities as the leader (OK, I love Dune as well)

<3

I kind of hope someone takes the portraits from the open-source Ur-Quan Masters and makes them work in here.

ZZMitch

Does anyone know when we get Steam keys if we pre-ordered from GMG? Or do they not come until release tomorrow?

Top Bottom