• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen King is nominated for the worst depiction of a sex scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
the stand is probably my least favorite of all his novels. i'm not really into his work anymore, but i still love the dark tower series, even the much-maligned last three volumes.

I think his best novels are Roadwork and Rage.

besada

Banned
My friend insists that a majority of King's works are ghostwritten. I haven't read enough to see if there is a noticeable difference in quality/style, but my friend has read pretty much all of his stuff, and is generally pretty knowledgeable about these things. King's frequency is pretty impressive if he doesn't use ghostwriters.

He writes six to eight hours a day, every day. He has for a long time. The only significant break in that habit over the years was due to the accident that nearly killed him. It took him awhile to work himself back up to being able to put in the hours.

Also, your friend is wrong. King's writing is always clearly stylistically King. Sometimes the books are better, sometimes they're worse, but they're all written by the same guy. Or some astonishingly talented literary artists capable of mastering the hundreds of stylistic quirks King is known for on a consistent basis.

Interestingly, both of his sons have picked up some of his stylistic quirks, even though only one of them writes horror.

By the way, I'm about 120 pages into the new one and really enjoying it.

braves01

Banned
Under the Dome was legit. I'm definitely reading this new one after Christmas, too, especially since it's reviewed pretty well.

His best novels are the ones he wrote under the Bachman name. It really gave him a sense of freedom because he didn't have to live up to his own name.

slit

those two are part of the few books from king that i haven't actually read. *blush*

i also like the regulators, the eyes of the dragon, and misery. i even like IT, despite that gonzo shit at the end.

Yes this was great.

Also Different Seasons, The Long Walk, The Dead Zone, and Pet Semetary.

TBH, I really don't think King has much left in the tank though.

I always preferred Koontz anyway.

Osietra

Banned
My friend insists that a majority of King's works are ghostwritten. I haven't read enough to see if there is a noticeable difference in quality/style, but my friend has read pretty much all of his stuff, and is generally pretty knowledgeable about these things. King's frequency is pretty impressive if he doesn't use ghostwriters.

Yep. Wouldn't be surprised at all, it's exactly what Spielberg does with some of his films. He had a double working on Warhorse while he finished off Tintin.

GhaleonEB

Thought this was going to be about the
gangbang of 12-year-olds
in It.

ETA spoiler tags.

I figured it had to be his new book to get the nomination, but this is also what I thought of from the thread title. I didn't understand the purpose of that scene back when I read It as a teenager, and re-reading It a few years ago as an adult, I really didn't get it.

Spokeys

The only Stephen King books i've read were The first Dark Tower volume and Behind a Buick 8 when it came out. Behind a Buick 8 was sufficiently entertaining for me as a 13 year old.

But yea, this guy pumps out novels like a factory so I'm sure he doesn't put much thought into whatever.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
So wait, his only detailed sex scene has a child in it...

This says a lot about king.

ArjanN

Stephen King was always kind of all over the place quality-wise, his more recent stuff is pretty much all bad.

Fjordson

She gasped, retreated a little, then raised her hips to meet me. "Sadie? All right?"

"Ohmygodyes," she said and I laughed... "Is there more?"

"A little more," I said. "I don't know how much. I haven't been with a woman in a long time."

It turned out there was quite a bit more... At the end she began to gasp. "Oh dear, oh my dear, oh my dear dear God, oh sugar!"
VEl6q.gif

I actually enjoy a decent amount of King overall, though his recent stuff not so much.

Weird thing is, I actually keep hearing how good this book is.

Pand

The best Stephen King novel is The Dead Zone.

There is no debate.

That's funny, I just read The Dead Zone, and it has another badly written sex scene (the one between Sarah and John). In fact, most sex scenes in King's novels are pretty damn awful.

Also, everyone knows Misery is the best King novel. No sex scenes in that one, either.

Binabik15

What counts as a great depiction of a sex scene? Any proper example?

Khal Drogo fingerbanging Dany.

The dramatic reading needed more extreme noises, gasping etc, IMO. Then again, the text is so riduculous that maybe comically overdoing it to make it even worse would make it bad, instead of good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom