• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen King is nominated for the worst depiction of a sex scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Salem's Lot gets my vote.

My mom now lives in Sarasota and I've visited her a couple of times there. Its nice to have a better visual reference for his new favorite setting since he lives there now.

Regardless of embarrassing sex scenes, this book is getting exceptional reviews and is the first King novel I've been interested in reading in well over a decade.

Edit: Damn, checked his bibliography and the most recent book of his I've read is The Green Mile. I used to devour his stuff when I was younger.

Jin

I've always prefer his collection of short stories the best. Night Shift, Different Seasons, Skeleton Crew, Nightmare and Dreamscapes, etc.

Under the dome has been is best work in recent years. I haven't read his new one yet but I'm not a fan of his non-paranormal fiction. I know there's a time travel aspect to the new book but the description didn't grab me.

besada

Banned
Under the dome has been is best work in recent years. I haven't read his new one yet but I'm not a fan of his non-paranormal fiction. I know there's a time travel aspect to the new book but the description didn't grab me.

Would it help if you knew Derry was in the new one?

Would it help if you knew Derry was in the new one?

Only if it's a big focus and not just "Oh hey they probably want me to put this shit in here"

Edit: King has always had a problem with sex scenes. I mean, look at the one he tried to direct in Maximum Overdrive. Fuck that was awkward.

Yen

We're lucky, actually, that a group of adults, reunited after thirty or forty years, isn't standing around the bed cheering on the sex, to defeat some kind of evil they failed to beat wh-wh-wh-when they were kids.
:lol
IT is such a great book, read it over the summer. Disagree with whoever said it doesn't hold up well due to fifties or eighties references.

Aexact

Might be remembering this wrong but I remember being pretty engaged in The Dark Tower, Drawing of the Three. It was bizarre and engrossing but ended up stopping at the part where the female character had to let herself get raped as part of the plot. Arbitrary bizzareness line crossed.

So basically, the passage being nominated here doesn't trump that. Like, I can accept it as awkward sex rather then titillation sex? I dunno. Context.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Devolution you do know I'm trying to imagine how you look like with that voice right? I already know how Timedog looks like and he's one sexy beast.

Furio53

The thing I love about a lot of Stephen King books are how they seem to be somehwat tied together. Little glimpses into another books universe etc.

The only Stephen King books i've read were The first Dark Tower volume and Behind a Buick 8 when it came out. Behind a Buick 8 was sufficiently entertaining for me as a 13 year old.

But yea, this guy pumps out novels like a factory so I'm sure he doesn't put much thought into whatever.

It's From a Buick 8 and I really hated that book.

Funny enough I just got past that passage this morning in the book and I thought it was awkward when I read it. Then again most sex scenes in books are fucking awkward to read. I don't think I've read a good one so I can't really fault King. BTW, I'm really enjoying the new book. Definitely one of his best I just hope he doesn't fuck up the ending, but it is King so who am I kidding.

It's From a Buick 8 and I really hated that book.

Funny enough I just got past that passage this morning in the book and I thought it was awkward when I read it. Then again most sex scenes in books are fucking awkward to read. I don't think I've read a good one so I can't really fault King. BTW, I'm really enjoying the new book. Definitely one of his best I just hope he doesn't fuck up the ending, but it is King so who am I kidding.

You should check out Under The Dome. Maybe his best ending ever.

Devolution you do know I'm trying to imagine how you look like with that voice right? I already know how Timedog looks like and he's one sexy beast.

You haven't been in the post your pic thread?

Devolution is an older black man with cats for a beard. Which is pretty hot.

I think he's asian.

cat-beard-art-drawing.jpg

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Doesn't matter, had sex.

No, serious, what does this mean? The writing doesn't matter because the characters had sex, and having sex is cool?

Did YOU just have sex, and you're on such a high that you'll read shitty writing?

THIS IS MAKING ME LOSE MY MIND.

Beaulieu

I really liked under the dome, except the very end
the "solution"
. The last 200 pages were indeed pretty fucking good.
This new book seems also good, I think I'll buy it.

fake edit : i really dont like fantastic shit tho' so no dark tower for me, ever.

I liked King's novels when I was younger, but I find it hard to enjoy them now. His short fiction is an entirely different matter. I love his short story work. I find some of those more creepier and eerie than his novels.

FStop7

Banned
I read IT as a kid and even then I was creeped out by the gang bang scene between all the male kids in the group with the lone girl.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Okay, wait wait wait, so Stephen King wrote a child orgy scene at the end of IT? I just watched the movie, and I remember sewer clown, and clown spider, and all that bullshit. I never read any of his books after watching that movie cause it seemed so stupid. Then this awful sex scene me and Devo audiobook'd, and now child orgy?

My tiny bit of interaction with Stephen King has not shown me anything even remotely good. Maybe I just have a weird cross-section though.

Akkad

Banned
Funny I just finished reading It for the first time and that sex scene was just so hard to read and pretty pointless IMO, because didn't they create a bond with that broken bottle bit?

Okay, wait wait wait, so Stephen King wrote a child orgy scene at the end of IT? I just watched the movie, and I remember sewer clown, and clown spider, and all that bullshit. I never read any of his books after watching that movie cause it seemed so stupid. Then this awful sex scene me and Devo audiobook'd, and now child orgy?

My tiny bit of interaction with Stephen King has not shown me anything even remotely good. Maybe I just have a weird cross-section though.

I think it was in the middle of the book. One girl, like six boys.

Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom