• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen King is nominated for the worst depiction of a sex scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gattsu25

Banned
You've got a sexy voice. Just wasn't expecting it.
rhyJu.png

i think timedog and devo should do a stephen king sex scene series.

maybe even get a group of gaffers to do the bizarre sex scene at the end of IT in kid voices, that way everybody can be as emotionally scarred as i was.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
i think timedog and devo should do a stephen king sex scene series.

maybe even get a group of gaffers to do the bizarre sex scene at the end of IT in kid voices, that way everybody can be as emotionally scarred as i was.

Believe me, I'm down for doing more sex scenes with Devo.

justin.au

Devo/Timedog. Good work.

I can sort of see what King was aiming for: virginal innocent girl who can only muster a 'Sugar!' as she reaches climax. But no, terrible writing.

The best intimate passages in books are the ones where you don't think to yourself, 'oh, this is a sex scene'.

I have mixed feeling about King. Everything up to The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla was great (except, Regulators). But his books after this were hit and miss for me.

Duma Key - great.

Just After Sunset - great

Cell - ok

The Colorado Kid - I don't get it, stopped reading.

Which of his books are suitable for reading past the year 2000?
Everything's Eventual, a collection of 14 short tales released in 2002

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Stephen King's On Writing is a cool little book.

Is it still being sold? I remember it releasing in high-school and I was reading "Needful Things" (which wasn't bad, but wasn't great either) at the time so never did get into it.

The "sex scene" in Under the Dome made me quit reading the book. Sometimes it feels like the author is just making bad shit happen to fuck with me. "Hey, look at this puppy. Found cold, wet and lonely by an equally lonely child. Both are so happy to have each other. And now the dog is dead. I didn't need to kill it; I already made it obvious who the bad guys were and that they were super bad. I just fucking hate you so the dog's dead."

Gattsu25

Banned
The "sex scene" in Under the Dome made me quit reading the book. Sometimes it feels like the author is just making bad shit happen to fuck with me. "Hey, look at this puppy. Found cold, wet and lonely by an equally lonely child. Both are so happy to have each other. And now the dog is dead. I didn't need to kill it; I already made it obvious who the bad guys were and that they were super bad. I just fucking hate you so the dog's dead."
Not going to read it... details?

Chowfahn

Neo Member
Anyone here read Full Dark, No Stars? I bought it when Borders was having their going-out-of-business sale, but haven't started reading it yet.

One thing I like about King is that he sometimes leaves the dialog or behaviors of his characters really awkward. Sometimes it's unsettling and sometimes it makes the characters more human. Nobody's perfect, after all.

"Oh dear dear sugar god" is a pretty damned bad line, of course, but maybe it was partially intentional?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Blah - after reading The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass and then trying to read V: Wolves of the Calla, I just gave up on him. I wasn't a huge fan of his writing to begin with, but I gave The Dark Tower a chance. Books I - IV were amazing, with IV being the best book I have ever read, hands down (I never thought a sci-fi/fantasy/western romance would take that prize for me). I couldn't muscle through V, and I tried to read that book Under the Dome, but it felt too much like a Lord of the Flies sort of scenario (in a bad way, since LotF was a wonderful read).

But hey, getting nominated is pretty cool. Gratz King.

Gattsu25

Banned
Blah - after reading The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass and then trying to read V: Wolves of the Calla, I just gave up on him. I wasn't a huge fan of his writing to begin with, but I gave The Dark Tower a chance. Books I - IV were amazing, with IV being the best book I have ever read, hands down (I never thought a sci-fi/fantasy/western romance would take that prize for me).
I thought book 2 was great. Other than that minor detail I agree with everything you said.

bill0527

My favorite Stephen King book is It.

I don't think it holds up very well though. There are a lot of 1980's references to pop culture and music in it, so unless you grew up, or were an adult in that era, you may not get some of the subtle genius in the book.

bill0527

You should read 11/23/63...

That's all I'll say.

I actually haven't read any Stephen King in at least 10 years, so I'm not up to date on the titles of his latest books.

I just looked up 11/23/63 on the iTunes bookstore and it sounds like something I'd be interested in reading so I'll give it a shot.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I thought book 2 was great. Other than that minor detail I agree with everything you said.

The second book was also really solid. I really can't find any MAJOR gripes with the first four. Little things here and there, but absolutely nothing that detracted from the experience.

JaseMath

The stand is probably my least favorite of all his novels. i'm not really into his work anymore, but i still love the dark tower series, even the much-maligned last three volumes.
Really? Why? It's my favorite book ever.

I think his weakest book is IT. I remember reading it like 5 years ago and it confused the hell out of me...and the 12-year old gang bang scene was the most WTF moment I've ever read in any book.

tmarques

My friend insists that a majority of King's works are ghostwritten. I haven't read enough to see if there is a noticeable difference in quality/style, but my friend has read pretty much all of his stuff, and is generally pretty knowledgeable about these things. King's frequency is pretty impressive if he doesn't use ghostwriters.

Balzac wrote over 100 novels in 30 years or so. All of which were far superior to King's drivel, so I don't think it's impossible.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I remember reading one of his short stories were a little kid gets raped by a pedo outside of a library. Very detailed and fucked up. Under the Dome was great until the end. King just can't write good endings anymore.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

I liked

duma key
under the dome
cell was OK but easily the weakest.

and I'm REALLY enjoying the hell out of the newest one whose title is a bitch to remember.

and look a new dark tower (dark tower 4.5)

Stephen King said:
Dear Constant Readers,

At some point, while worrying over the copyedited manuscript of the next book (11/22/63, out November 8th), I started thinking—and dreaming—about Mid-World again. The major story of Roland and his ka-tet was told, but I realized there was at least one hole in the narrative progression: what happened to Roland, Jake, Eddie, Susannah, and Oy between the time they leave the Emerald City (the end of Wizard and Glass) and the time we pick them up again, on the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis (the beginning of Wolves of the Calla)?

There was a storm, I decided. One of sudden and vicious intensity. The kind to which billy-bumblers like Oy are particularly susceptible. Little by little, a story began to take shape. I saw a line of riders, one of them Roland’s old mate, Jamie DeCurry, emerging from clouds of alkali dust thrown by a high wind. I saw a severed head on a fencepost. I saw a swamp full of dangers and terrors. I saw just enough to want to see the rest. Long story short, I went back to visit an-tet with my friends for awhile. The result is a novel called The Wind Through the Keyhole. It’s finished, and I expect it will be published next year.

It won’t tell you much that’s new about Roland and his friends, but there’s a lot none of us knew about Mid-World, both past and present. The novel is shorter than DT 2-7, but quite a bit longer than the first volume—call this one DT-4.5. It’s not going to change anybody’s life, but God, I had fun.

-- Steve King

I remember reading one of his short stories were a little kid gets raped by a pedo outside of a library. Very detailed and fucked up. Under the Dome was great until the end. King just can't write good endings anymore.

he never could really. It was GREAT the spider followed by a bunch of 12 year old running a train on their female friend in the sewer. WTF.

The last 200 pages was the best part. Couldn't believe he pulled that shit. Incredible.

Sullichin

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...tephen-King-nominated-for-Bad-Sex-awards.html

I have mixed feeling about King. Everything up to The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla was great (except, Regulators). But his books after this were hit and miss for me.

Duma Key - great.

Just After Sunset - great

Cell - ok

The Colorado Kid - I don't get it, stopped reading.

off topic, but I don't get the hate for the last 2 dark tower books - I love them!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
We're lucky, actually, that a group of adults, reunited after thirty or forty years, isn't standing around the bed cheering on the sex, to defeat some kind of evil they failed to beat wh-wh-wh-when they were kids.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
The last 200 pages was the best part. Couldn't believe he pulled that shit. Incredible.

Yeah, bunch of bullshit. Luckily he still writes good characters. I have read every book of his but the newest one and that Tom Gordon book. I tried to read it, but couldn't get into it. Does anything ever happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom