• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StickSkills Rumor: New Mass Effect will be revealed at VGAs

KKRT00

I hope its not CGI trailer, like two VGA's ago.
I want in-engine footage with some short gameplay scenes Bioware!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Posting for the hundredth time.

0 months, Oct 2005 - Mass Effect announced.
+25 months, Nov 2007 - Mass Effect released.
+16 months, Mar 2009 - Mass Effect 2 announced.
+10 months, Jan 2010 - Mass Effect 2 released.
+11 months, Dec 2010 - Mass Effect 3 announced.
+15 months, Mar 2012 - Mass Effect 3 released.
+21 months, Dec 2013 - Mass Effect 4 announced.
+15 months, Mar 2015 - Mass Effect 4 released.

Like I've said, the time passed between the release of Mass Effect 3 and (if we run with the rumour) a VGA '13 announcement of Mass Effect 4 would rate as the second longest down time between two mainline titles either announced or released. And a March '15 release would be the longest gap in the series by a long shot.

Entering a new generation with new hardware and a (relatively) new team heading the project would add some time to the schedule, but if the above is accurate it's all accounted for, in my opinion.

I hope its not CGI trailer, like two VGA's ago.
I want in-engine footage with some short gameplay scenes Bioware!

I don't think we'll see actual gameplay. If the VGA rumour is true I'd expect it to follow the same pattern as Mass Effect 3: press coverage early next year in magazines from private demos, first formal gameplay footage at E3 2014. VGA reserved for the teaser video hinting at the themes/narrative. And given this is running on Frostbite 3, I wouldn't be surprised to see it all in-engine, like Dragon Age: Inquisition's reveal.

I don't think we'll see actual gameplay. If the VGA rumour is true I'd expect it to follow the same pattern as Mass Effect 3: press coverage early next year in magazines from private demos, first formal gameplay footage at E3 2014. VGA reserved for the teaser video hinting at the themes/narrative. And given this is running on Frostbite 3, I wouldn't be surprised to see it all in-engine, like Dragon Age: Inquisition's reveal.
Yup, and agreed, I don't think it will be CGI. In-engine Frostbite 3 is my guess.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Yeah, it's still far too early to see any gameplay footage. An announcement trailer at the VGAs will just be a CG trailer and we won't see any in-game footage for months after.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Engadget said:
The freshman round of games these teams are developing have taken longer to develop because the studios are learning the ins and outs of the software, and are essentially molding what was a first-person shooter engine into something that works for their own genres of games. For example, Flynn said BioWare typically has 28-month build times, but Inquisition is taking longer because his team had to create tools for handling back-end systems common to role-playing games (skill proficiencies, attack stats, etc.) that the engine didn't already have.

"We've got a longer development cycle for Dragon Age, but that comes from two things: One is the investment in Frostbite to make it an RPG engine, and that's a big one for the team. They're helping eat that rock for Mass Effect," said Flynn.
Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/19/...ield-mass-effect/?ncid=tweetlnkusenga00000003

Top Bottom