• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stop posting emulator screenshots when discussing graphics of older games

RedAssedApe

Banned
the funny thing is...emulator screenshots is kind of how we remember things though at least until we play them again in their original form. rose colored glasses...nostalgia and all that hah...

the 32-bit era was an era of ugly 3d games

Awakened

I hate CRT filters so damn much, it ruins the entire picture with how HEAVY it is in emulators. Only game I've seen that looked good with a CRT filter was the Metal Slug release on Steam, that actually adds a soft look to it without destroying my eyes.
CRT-Easymode is fairly light. It blends the pixels enough to take the edge off them and makes the contrast better without super dark scanlines:
retroarch-0507-005122cnuo6.png

retroarch-0507-005257b5ufo.png

retroarch-0507-005846a0uz6.png
(that's with the shader's brightness boost set at 1.3, so it's a bit brighter than it's default)

Direct capture shots are great for comparing system capabilities. But I think with some emulators providing pixel perfect video output they can provide a good substitute. Of course if you google image search a game you'll probably get upscaled shots, so often you'll have to take them in an accurate emulator with the most accurate settings yourself.

Jaeger

The narrative trying to be pushed here is weird. Games looked just as great from the ol' Tele as they do through an emulator (without filters and anything that modifies the game's visuals, and that includes filters that try to replicate the CRT look).

Kids These Days think you could actually see the pixels in 8- and 16-bit games.

No game ever looked like Shovel Knight. Ever.

I could see pixels in the games back in the day. Televisions didn't smooth and round out sprites or anything.

KHlover

Banned
The narrative trying to be pushed here is weird. Games looked just as great from the ol' Tele as they do through an emulator (without filters and anything that modifies the game's visuals, and that includes filters that try to replicate the CRT look).

I could see pixels in the games back in the day. Televisions didn't smooth and round out sprites or anything.
Those images all look terrible. Was the nose of the devs of these filters glued to their TV when they were younger? That's not how games on CRT looked like from a normal viewing distance.

Mexen

Whereas I do not endorse the use of emulators, I imagine using original screenshots must be a difficult task to accomplish.
I don't suppose everyone has a DV capturing setup going on at home.

Madao

i got a CRT today after seeing old games on an HDTV for 8 years and...

the games looked like they were higher definition on the CRT lol.

(it's a Sony Trinitron with Component inputs but still, the IQ is quite different)

Ziffles

T
Maybe if you were using a SCART connection back in the day, but here in the states the best we usually had was composite until S-video started making some headway. And that's if we were lucky to own a TV with composite plug, otherwise we'd have to settle for RF, which looked like this:

retroart-sm.jpg

Roto13

I'm not going to trust your memory because apparently you think those screenshots look at all authentic.

baphomet

Maybe if you were using a SCART connection back in the day, but here in the states the best we usually had was composite until S-video started making some headway. And that's if we were lucky to own a TV with composite plug, otherwise we'd have to settle for RF, which looked like this:

retroart-sm.jpg

My NES games look like the picture on the left.

Jebusman

Banned
See, I would follow the argument that is disingenuous to post screenshots from emulators for these old games since it doesn't represent the original experience.

But if it means that people who may have missed out on that era of gaming get a second chance at playing these games because it's now crossed the arbitrary line they have for graphics, then power to them.

I know people who would rather play Super Mario 64 via emulator over the direct honest to god cartridge and N64 right beside them, and have it uprezzed to hell. I can't get mad, because it means they want to actually play Super Mario 64.

If posting these screenshots of old games rendering at 4K with ridiculous AA on it gives them the push to try it themselves, I'm all for it.

GamerJM

Banned
My NES games look like the picture on the left.

Mine look like something in between because I used composite, the one on the left looks like it's SCART and the one on the right looks like it's RF. Or maybe I'm just remembering wrong idk.

Granted I think using SCART images when discussing how retro games look is legit because that is what the hardware is capable of outputting. You're not using an emulator or anything.

Jaeger

I'm not going to trust your memory because apparently you think those screenshots look at all authentic.

That's fine with me.

retroart-sm.jpg

My games never looked that blurred (American, here). Composite cables, as well. Until I got a Saturn and I believe I had S-Video for that system.

Here is some video of SFII (Arcade). This is how I remember my games looked when I played them.

https://youtu.be/jU2eOI4OVPA?t=221

And some images of the 3DO version of Super played through a Mitsubishi MegaView.

baphomet

Mine look like something in between because I used composite, the one on the left looks like it's SCART and the one on the right looks like it's RF. Or maybe I'm just remembering wrong idk.

Granted I think using SCART images when discussing how retro games look is legit because that is what the hardware is capable of outputting. You're not using an emulator or anything.

The original NES only had RF and Composite. Ive got an RGB modded NES outputting into an xrgb mini. It looks gorgeous.

retroart-sm.jpg

This is accurate. I remember Zelda 2 like the one on the right.

Ziffles

My games never looked that blurred (American, here). Composite cables, as well. Until I got a Saturn and I believe I had S-Video for that system.
Well congratulations on your awesome TV, because I'm pretty sure the majority of us had to settle for that RF shit. :)

Nanashrew

Banned
CRT-Easymode is fairly light. It blends the pixels enough to take the edge off them and makes the contrast better without super dark scanlines:

(that's with the shader's brightness boost set at 1.3, so it's a bit brighter than it's default)

Direct capture shots are great for comparing system capabilities. But I think with some emulators providing pixel perfect video output they can provide a good substitute. Of course if you google image search a game you'll probably get upscaled shots, so often you'll have to take them in an accurate emulator with the most accurate settings yourself.

Got any pics of Super Mario RPG? You can actually see a huge difference with and without scanlines. The 3D effect of the environments become flat and ugly without them.

Recall

Totally agree with the OP. Screen shots from emulated games are not representative of the actual game running on actual hardware.

Yet anytime someone mentions a PS1 game their memory of what it looks like is horrific as supposedly it only displayed shitty textures and super low poly characters which isn't true.

It's today's obsession with visuals over anything else.

Totally agree with the OP. Screen shots from emulated games are not representative of the actual game running on actual hardware.

Yet anytime someone mentions a PS1 game their memory of what it looks like is horrific as supposedly it only displayed shitty textures and super low poly characters which isn't true.

It's today's obsession with visuals over anything else.

Well, talking about recall bias.

Madao

thsi is how Super Mario 64 looks for me right now:

ps4jL0G.jpg

i cheated because this is Wii VC with Component cables

Tain

It's noble enough to want graphical discussions to not be flooded with high-level emulator shots rendering at higher internal resolutions. Call out the instances where these shots are inappropriate.

But it makes older games objectively better

If they have the assets to hold up under that level of clarity. Prime can gracefully handle 1080p, I'd say that Mario 64 and Metal Gear Solid can't.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Do we have full threads with emulator shots? I seem to remember one, I wouldn't mind browsing through that.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This honestly does little for me. I just feel like it over exposes the geometry and textures.

I mean, the iq nice, but its still the same textures, and the same geometry, and now their shortcomings are REALLY noticable.

I agree

Jachaos

Look for some old screenshots on databases like MobyGames.

25657-excitebike-64-nintendo-64-screenshot-racing-into-a-mills.jpg

This ExciteBike 64 one was contributed in 2002. You'll find plenty of what you're looking for.

Kids These Days think you could actually see the pixels in 8- and 16-bit games.

No game ever looked like Shovel Knight. Ever.

THIS!! I never saw a pixel when I was a kid. Not even with the Spectrum. Only Atari 2600 or the Amstrad CPC mode 0 where noticeably.

Pacman is perfectly rounded. You know the pixels are there, but they are clearly NOT like the modern indie games.

Kids should see a Commodore Amiga in action and drool.

Jaeger

Just so we're clear, I'm not arguing for filtered, or otherwise images being posted as true representations of the games played in the original state. I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with this (with CRT image on right for comparison);

Unaltered, unfiltered image. A direct-screen capture of the software in it's original state. This kind of screenshot accurately displays games as they are meant to be seen, and not in the varied pool of CRT Monitors/Televisions, RF, RGB, Composite and so on cables and cords.

Nanashrew

Banned
Yeah, I made a before and after shot and the second one makes the shading look so much nicer:

It's like night and day on the statues. I really wish that scanlines were available on Virtual Console and PS Classics because of how much they improve the image quality to these older games.

Ninja Dom

This isn't really a realistic request. Probably not for the reason you're thinking either. The primary reason is due to the fact that if they are scaled down to their original rendering resolutions, you can't make out many fine details one way or another regardless of how long you sit and stare at them.

The rendering resolution of an NES is 256 x 240. That is tiny given most modern screens are now 1920 x 1080.

If you want to discuss graphics, you have to be able to see them, and telling people to change their screen resolutions to 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 is even less realistic.

Exactly!!

My computer screen to browse GAF is 2560 x 1440, and you want people to post pics of NES games at native res of 256 x 240??

Why do you hate my avatar OP? Not enough scanlines and color bleeding for you?

Yes. But that's not the point here.

Exactly!!

My computer screen to browse GAF is 2560 x 1440, and you want people to post pics of NES games at native res of 256 x 240??

Yes and no. If you are posting a screenshot of Duck Tales, that's ok. If you are posting a 2650x1440 screenshot of Duck Tales when comparing it against other games of similar timeframe, that's not ok. At that point you might as well post a picture of the remake.

And mostly this is a issue with 3D games

Burai

shitonmychest57
Just so we're clear, I'm not arguing for filtered, or otherwise images being posted as true representations of the games played in the original state. I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with this (with CRT image on right for comparison);

Unaltered, unfiltered image. A direct-screen capture of the software in it's original state. This kind of screenshot accurately displays games as they are meant to be seen, and not in the varied pool of CRT Monitors/Televisions, RF, RGB, Composite and so on cables and cords.

No it's not. CPS games render at 384 x 224 but they are designed for a 4:3 display. Capcom never intended for people to play SFII in squashed widescreen.

Rich!

Old school CRTs have a really soft image. You're not going to get that sharp pixelated look on them. Also, round pixels vs square like an LCD.

My counter argument, photos from my CRT. Sony Trinitron 28" 4:3, consoles hooked up via RGB as is standard here in the UK:

jeXtee9mwSBJX.jpg

j30Q2aAah6rMQ.PNG

Remember that RGB is a standard output here in Europe, was fully supported by all TV sets in the 90s and the SNES and PSX outputted in RGB with the use of the standard SCART cable.

That fuzzy Zelda 2 example? Never experienced that. Ever. See those photos I posted? That's how I experienced games in the 90s.

Top Bottom