• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Store security guard allegedly removes feeding baby from womans breast

Status
Not open for further replies.

caramac

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-33520970

Claims a Primark security guard removed a woman's baby while she was breastfeeding and ordered her to leave the store are being investigated by police.

Caroline Starmer said on Facebook the security guard at the Leicester store told her if she wanted her daughter "I was to come and get her".

She said it was a "horrific experience" which has left her confidence "shot".

Primark is investigating the incident alleged to have happened on Monday.

Ms Starmer wrote on the breastfeeding campaign Free to Feed's page that she fed her nine-month-old daughter in "a quiet spot" in the shop after she started crying.

After five minutes, she said, the security guard approached her and asked her to leave.

"I stood my ground and stated my rights, that I can legally feed where I want," she wrote.

"Just for the security officer to physically remove my daughter from my breast and walk down the store with her, saying if I wanted my daughter, then I was to come and get her."

In other posts she wrote she was in "complete shock" and she has been left "a right mess" by the incident.

Primark's response

A Primark spokesman said: "We have investigated this customer’s allegation which we naturally take very seriously indeed.

"The CCTV footage, reviewed by store management, shows the customer in the Leicester store quite clearly during the time in question. We can see no evidence that she was approached by anyone during this period.

"We have spoken to the security guards on duty. They categorically deny behaving in the way alleged. Furthermore the individuals do not fit the description given by the customer.

"We have therefore concluded that the customer allegation is not supported by the available evidence to date. The company would obviously be happy to work with any police investigation into this incident, should this be needed.

"We have tried to contact the customer to reassure her about Primark’s practice on breastfeeding.

"At Primark, we work hard to provide all the comfort and facilities possible to our customers. Our policy is quite clear. We do not prohibit breastfeeding.

"In addition, any customer can request a quiet or private area within the store to breastfeed her child and our staff will do all they can to accommodate such a request. Please do not hesitate to ask staff for assistance."

Envy is a powerful thing.

I spotted a feed-event at a Target a few months back right in the middle of an aisle. The mother made no attempt to find a secluded space or cover up. Just had her bit popped out and the kid was going to town. We saw her, made extended eye contact and I walked backwards a few steps and turned around.

I don't have a problem with public feeding, but the blatant disregard for even an attempt at modesty caught me off guard.

She's completely in her right to feed her kid, and she even courteously went to what she deemed a quiet spot. What I want to know if the guard went in on his own accord, or if some goons complained.

tcrunch

I spotted a feed-event at a Target a few months back right in the middle of an aisle. The mother made no attempt to find a secluded space or cover up. Just had her bit popped out and the kid was going to town. We saw her, made extended eye contact and I walked backwards a few steps and turned around.

I don't have a problem with public feeding, but the blatant disregard for even an attempt at modesty caught me off guard.

Guess you'll just have to deal with it.

wow thats unspeakably wrong, and sound like the woman in this situation made a genuine effort to use to a quiet area so as not to offend any prudish people, and wasn't someone feeding in an inappropriate place*

I hope the security guard looses the job and Primark are raked over the coal to an extent**

*I feel i should add some context to that before i get unduly criticised - you do get some odd stories about people breast feeding in strange locations; the incident that springs to mind is a story i read about a woman in the swimming baths tried to breast feed her child in the pool....the life guards stopped her, claimed if the baby was sick it would close the pool, not to mention the issues surrounding feeding a baby in a giant communal toilet - On looking for sources seems there's a few incidents of this - whilst feeding in pool might be safe for babies health, the issue here for me is contamination of a pool results in it closing for cleaning. If an adult threw up in a pool they'd close it for cleaning, the same applies for a baby, so feeding in the actual pool is just not right, not because of breastfeeding, but because anyone feeding and having a risk of vomitting is wrong in a pool

**Google Primark, the owners son and grand son drowned last week in a freak accident, so i'd hate for him to have more pressure, this was obviously a localised management thing

EDIT:

That bbc article and the quotes from Primark saying the desciption of the security guards didn't match those on duty, the guards who were deny the event how told etc put some doubt on that entire event
I did not realise this was entirely based off of a facebook post, i thought at least CCTV / witness would corroborate

stuminus3

Security guard taking the baby sounds fishy but it still blows my mind that there are people who have a problem with breastfeeding in public.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Outrageous behaviour from the guard. A prosecutable offense? Hope they go as far as they can with it.

People need to chill about breastfeeding. I had a female coworker in her 60's one time, run over and start shaking me and laughing hysterically "She's whipping them out! lol". I look over and it's a women breastfeeding under a blanket. I rolled my eyes and went back to work.

Seriously dude? A feed-event?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™

It's a boob. Stop being such a prude.

Get over it.

malyce

It's a fucking titty, used to feed babies. It can't possibly be that serious. smmfh

Good grief.

Prologue

Not much of a choice. You don't want the mother and the security guard have a tug of war with the infant

True and this is why women usually have more sense than men during situations like these! Just the thought of a security guard removing a child of mine like that would set me off.

AudioNoir

Banned

Yeah, this sure sounds like a statement made by someone who doesn't have a problem with public feeding.

Even Cookie Monster got envy on the collective eye rollin' in here, brah.

Are you for real?

Disgraceful attitude.

mother made no attempt to find a secluded space or cover up
I don't have a problem with public feeding

ಠ_ಠ

UFO

Banned

Why is everyone killing this guy? He said he doesn't have a problem with public feeding. Is it really necessary to crusify him over being slightly shocked at a lack of modesty? Would it be wrong if I was surprised to see someone strip completely naked to use a urinal at a public restroom?

Why is everyone killing this guy? He said he doesn't have a problem with public feeding. Is it really necessary to crusify him over being slightly shocked at a lack of modesty? Would it be wrong if I was surprised to see someone strip completely naked to use a urinal at a public restroom?
Is that person stripping and pissing in the nude necessary to a baby's good health and well being? The fact that you can equate those two is hilarious to me.

I simply can't imagine this happening the way it's described.

As in I literally don't think a security guard grabbed a suckling kid off its mother's own tit and took it away from her. It's a very far-fetched story. I'm 100% supportive of moms feeding their kids wherever the hell they want, but the fact that this is coming first from a Facebook post followed by a blog post on a breast feeding advocacy site reeks of fabrication.

I expected to see spatulas, ladles and assorted cutlery.. Not a suckling child. I didnt cause a scene, attempt to pry off the child or call security.. it wasnt a "trigger" event. I was just taken by surprise and awkwardly removed myself from the area.

We fed in public, but it was normally in a designated spot or under a small blanket.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
So the article is based off of a Facebook post? Is that how journalism work these days?

And why is that a problem?

The woman was within her rights and I disagree with the officer.

That said... "horrific experience," my confidence was shot", "complete shock", "(was left) a right mess", etc. Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom