• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Store security guard allegedly removes feeding baby from womans breast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryk

I can't believe that a security guard managed to walk up to someone, grab a baby and walk off with it without thinking that these actions might not be a good idea

I can't believe that a security guard managed to walk up to someone, grab a baby and walk off with it without thinking that these actions might not be a good idea

Yeah, I'm honestly shocked the dude didn't get shanked. You do _not_ come between a mom and her baby.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
And it's from BBC. Jesus never thought that BBC would fall to such low clickbait standards.

Will stick to NYT and WSJ.

Neither can I. It's outside the realm of casual stupidity. I can't suspend my disbelief that A) someone would think this was a good idea, or B) someone would hire someone who thought this was a good idea.

My entirely baseless assumption: woman feeds her kid in a store, guard tells her to stop but otherwise does nothing, woman gets rightfully miffed but exaggerates the incident on social media for attention and to serve the narrative of her political cause (one that I agree with 100%, but nonetheless). "They took my baby!" is a sexier story than "they told me I couldn't breastfeed in their store".

Javaman

Its an irritating aspect of law, you can find a murderer by a body, gloating even and until they've been found guilty at trial they are still the 'Alleged'

its particularly irritating in real life

It also protects people falsely accused of a crime, although people still think it means guilty more often than not.

wildfire

Banned
This is shit you go over day one with new hires in security.

Who the fuck grabs another person's kid in general besides a teacher? There is no need for training for that. Guard was simultaneously a coward and a bully by his actions. I wish someone choked him for his horrible actions.

If you breast feed in an area with children around, is that okay? As an unintended consequence the breast feeder may be forcing a nearby parent to explain to their kids what they just witnessed.

For the record, I'm fine with it. But I think this is one of the arguments brought up by people against public breastfeeding

The woman was within her rights and I disagree with the officer.

That said... "horrific experience," my confidence was shot", "complete shock", "(was left) a right mess", etc. Really?

Mothers are usually protective of their little ones. Having her young child snatched right from her was probably a very unpleasant experience.

Zaph

The company said it had investigated the customer's claim and reviewed CCTV footage from the time in question.

It also said it had spoken to the security guards on duty, who "deny behaving in the way alleged" and who did not fit the description given by the customer.

It concluded "that the customer's allegation is not supported by the available evidence to date".

I think this is very telling. It's rare for a large company to come right out and deny something like this so quickly - they usually leave it at "we're investigating the incident" to cover themselves legally depending on which way it goes.

If you breast feed in an area with children around, is that okay? As an unintended consequence the breast feeder may be forcing a nearby parent to explain to their kids what they just witnessed.

For the record, I'm fine with it. But I think this is one of the arguments brought up by people against public breastfeeding

I should hope that at least one child is around.

If a parent can't explain to a child of any age what a tit is used for then they made a horrible mistake becoming parents in the first place.

the more i think about this the more it sounds fabricated
The security guard came up and prised a baby from the cradling arms of its mother, whilst it was latched onto her nipple,then walked off with the baby hollering "if you want it come get it"!
All the while the mother let him with little to no resistance, and then followed the security guard from the secluded spot where she was feeding to the store entrance?
so during this was she screaming for her baby back? if so did nobody see/hear/intervene?
and in this age where everyone films everything nobody filmed this alleged Cersi Lanister walk of shame chasing a Security guard kidnapping her child? (because you'd assume she didn't stop to cover herself up and rand after the child without a second thought) so surely at some point it was a semi topless woman chasing a security guard holding the baby?

so currently the only evidence of this is a post on facebook? and arguably an ambiguous quote from Primark that states the security on duty didn't match her description and didn't remember an incident as described - so was there an incident? or none at all

I'm beginning to think its all hogwash

A bit off topic, but I've been told you can be labeled a sex offender for peeing in the bushes if spotted by another party. Does this also apply if you're forced to pee on someone from a jellyfish sting?

Yes, this is an argument I have heard people spout off as well. It's like they cant handle their child actually knowing a simple fact about humanity.

Not commenting on this specific incident, but rather on the topic of breastfeeding in public:

The only reasonable position I see is that mothers should not be restricted from doing the completely natural act of feeding their baby, and while many mothers use covers, the truth is that they can be uncomfortable and babies often don't like them either (and there are few things worse than a frustrated hungry baby).

For everyone else: a) you're the one that needs to change and get over it, and b) you will likely understand this more if you end up having children.

You say, "Yes, that's how moms feed babies. It's normal." Done. No issue here.

The only problems here are being created by parents who fail to adequately explain that women have breasts and use them to feed infants, and that it's not this horrifying display of debauchery.

UFO

Banned
Is that person stripping and pissing in the nude necessary to a baby's good health and well being? The fact that you can equate those two is hilarious to me.

And what exactly does being in the middle of an isle completely exposed do for the baby's health and well being? Can you show me where I said that women shouldn't be allowed to breastfeed in public? All I'm saying is that it's not disgraceful if someone found that lack of modestly a little surprising. The majority of women would not have felt comfortable doing that, they carry blankets and find more secluded places.

These GAF hive-mind responses are insane. Jumping on a guy for having the slightest varying opinion. This place is becoming so unwelcoming.

I expected to see spatulas, ladles and assorted cutlery.. Not a suckling child. I didnt cause a scene, attempt to pry off the child or call security.. it wasnt a "trigger" event. I was just taken by surprise and awkwardly removed myself from the area.

We fed in public, but it was normally in a designated spot or under a small blanket.

Yeah, I understand.

The only problems here are being created by parents who fail to adequately explain that women have breasts and use them to feed infants, and that it's not this horrifying display of debauchery.

Why_not_both.jpg

joking, of course.

BigAT

This doesn't feel fake to anyone else? The story is based purely on a Facebook post and the only evidence that exists seems completely contrary to the claim being made.

Yeah, we can't have our kids knowing how babies eat. What a nightmare scenario.

Zaph

This doesn't feel fake to anyone else? The story is based purely on a Facebook post and the only evidence that exists seems completely contrary to the claim being made.

It seems very suspect, and I'm surprised BBC News ran with it. I was at least expecting to read she filed a complaint with the police, but it looks like she just posted the story on that advocacy Facebook group, it blew up, and the police contacted her.

Oh, I definitely lean that way as well. See my post on the last page, as well as Agent Gibbs. Definitely seems contrived to rile up her fellow free feeding advocates.

Good points. Children should learn that breasts are solely sexual accessories -- you know, naughty bits that always have to be covered up.

BigAT

It seems very suspect, and I'm surprised BBC News ran with it. I was at least expecting to read she filed a complaint with the police, but it looks like she just posted the story on that advocacy Facebook group, it blew up, and the police contacted her.

Yeah, I see plenty of people post or share various things on Facebook all the time that are clearly invented narratives created to prove some underlying belief that the person has.

This feels very similar.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

Breast feeding around children is fairly common....as it feeds smaller children.

Resident expert troll on the job!

OT: sounds kinda fishy I have never heard of baby being snatched from a feeding mother, way too much of an overreaction.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Envy is a powerful thing.

I spotted a feed-event at a Target a few months back right in the middle of an aisle. The mother made no attempt to find a secluded space or cover up. Just had her bit popped out and the kid was going to town. We saw her, made extended eye contact and I walked backwards a few steps and turned around.

I don't have a problem with public feeding, but the blatant disregard for even an attempt at modesty caught me off guard.

I can't stop laughing at "feed-event"

JeanGrey

Honestly the officer had no right to touch her baby. Personally I would've attacked the officer. Nobody touches my child.

1 child abuse
2 sexual Harassment

If the lady was in a secluded non public view she had every right to feed her child. As long as her breast weren't visible cause yeah I wouldn't want other children exposed to unnecessary nudity in public. Other than that do not touch the child attached to the Boobie.

Future

It's a terrible argument. Don't do something in public so parents don't have to do their job and be parents to explain what just happened.

Being a parent to an infant is so fucking hard that finding a secluded place to breast feed should be the least of concern.

Why is everyone against the woman finding a secluded/safe place to feed? Most, if not all mammals will seek a safe/out-of-sight location before feeding their young. It's instinct. It protects both the mother and children from predators. Popping everything out in the open COULD be taken as not only socially and instinctually inappropriate, but also as child-endangerment.

SamVimes

Why is everyone against the woman finding a secluded/safe place to feed? Most, if not all mammals will seek a safe/out-of-sight location before feeding their young. It's instinct. It protects both the mother and children from predators. Popping everything out in the open COULD be taken as not only socially and instinctually inappropriate, but also as child-endangerment.

Please, i want to see you explain this.

Because we're not animals, and anywhere should be safe for a baby to eat. Don't blame the moms if it offends you. It's food, get over it.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

Lots of predators out there looking for feeding humans? Do you find a secluded space to eat a sandwich instead of a cafeteria as well?

I mean, it probably shouldn't be done in a cage full of bears, but hopefully there aren't too many predatory carnivores threatening a bench at the mall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom