• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Store security guard allegedly removes feeding baby from womans breast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is everyone against the woman finding a secluded/safe place to feed? Most, if not all mammals will seek a safe/out-of-sight location before feeding their young. It's instinct. It protects both the mother and children from predators. Popping everything out in the open COULD be taken as not only socially and instinctually inappropriate, but also as child-endangerment.
First, you're gonna have to give a source. Secondly, the comparison doesn't make sense because chipmunks, or whatever, live within 10 feet of their den. Any spot they feed in will be secluded by the very nature of where they live. Human moms have to shop, clean, prepare, work, entertain, etc. in various locations in a much larger population. And babies get hungry all the time and shouldn't be kept waiting, physiologically speaking. Thirdly, I've never heard of a safety issue. I've only heard of problems with breasts because breasts are seen as a sexual organ. I'd argue that more women should breastfeed in public until people get more comfortable with it.

If I have to eat in a public setting, I always sit in the back and NEVER with my back to the entrance.

dwightwide.jpg

FTF

Seriously dude? A feed-event?

Ha yeah at first I thought he meant there were like 20 mother's breast feeding at the same time as some sort of demonstration...but nope he just meant a single mother and baby lol

Also, I assume there's a security camera or footage of what happened? It's hard to believe the millisecond the guard tried to touch or remove the baby the mother wouldn't have went off on him, and he been able to take the baby and walk away.

Danger of what? Seriously.

Well, just look at the story. It got her child nabbed by a misguided security guard.

Listen, I don't have an issue with breast feeding. It doesnt make me uncomfortable. I just think there are things you have to consider as caregiver before putting you and the child into a potentially vulnerable situation.

I agree with everyone. BF'ing shouldnt be illegal or even frowned upon. Just BF smart.

Well, just look at the story. It got her child nabbed by a misguided security guard.

Listen, I don't have an issue with breast feeding. It doesnt make me uncomfortable. I just think there are things you have to consider as caregiver before putting you and the child into a potentially vulnerable situation.

I agree with everyone. BF'ing shouldnt be illegal or even frowned upon. Just BF smart.

Kid could have been just as easily snatched by the guard if she was looking at socks. I doubt feeding had much to do with the (I assume) power imbalance.

Zaph

The Mirror has a fuller account of the story, with further quotes from the victim, her husband and a Primark spokesperson.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/primark-breastfeeding-row-mum-says-6063613

Yup, this pretty much seals it:

Primark said:
The CCTV footage, reviewed by store management, shows the customer in the Leicester store quite clearly during the time in question. We can see no evidence that she was approached by anyone during this period.

We have spoken to the security guards on duty. They categorically deny behaving in the way alleged. Furthermore the individuals do not fit the description given by the customer.

We have therefore concluded that the customer allegation is not supported by the available evidence to date. The company would obviously be happy to work with any police investigation into this incident, should this be needed.

I thought there might be a slim chance it all happened in a corner not covered by CCTV, but her trip to the store is on CCTV, and they're happy to show it to police.

Primark should just put the CCTV footage of her entire time there on Youtube and shut this down. She was probably attention seeking, the story snowballed, and she just went with it.

Yup, this pretty much seals it:

I thought there might be a slim chance it all happened in a corner not covered by CCTV, but her trip to the store is on CCTV, and they're happy to show it to police.

Primark should just put the CCTV footage of her entire time there on Youtube and shut this down. She was probably attention seeking, the story snowballed, and she just went with it.

The language used in her write-up did scream of agenda driven sensationalism right out of a tumblr fan fiction. I guess I'm not surprised

Uhyve

And what exactly does being in the middle of an isle completely exposed do for the baby's health and well being? Can you show me where I said that women shouldn't be allowed to breastfeed in public? All I'm saying is that it's not disgraceful if someone found that lack of modestly a little surprising. The majority of women would not have felt comfortable doing that, they carry blankets and find more secluded places.

These GAF hive-mind responses are insane. Jumping on a guy for having the slightest varying opinion. This place is becoming so unwelcoming.

Yeah, I understand.
It's because you keep saying that women should be modest, it's kind of a weird thing to say, along the same lines as "have they no shame?". Doesn't really matter how you dress it up.

UFO

Banned
It's because you keep saying that women should be modest, it's kind of a weird thing to say, along the same lines as "have they no shame?". Doesn't really matter how you dress it up.

First of all, I didn't say women should be anything.

I said most women are more modest when it comes to public breastfeeding. It's not a huge inconvenience to remove yourself from a visibly public space and it saves the women from exposure from creeps, gawkers, picture-takers, etc. What the woman in the original story did is a perfect example.

We'd all be better off with a bit more modesty. I was born in the wrong decade. I'd be right at home in the 50s minus all the bigotry and spousal abuse.

Omega

Banned
Why is everyone killing this guy? He said he doesn't have a problem with public feeding. Is it really necessary to crusify him over being slightly shocked at a lack of modesty? Would it be wrong if I was surprised to see someone strip completely naked to use a urinal at a public restroom?

because he says one thing but means another?

"i don't have a problem with public feeding but find a private spot"

Hooooooly shit. If I was a woman, or if I was with a wife and child, I can not even fathom the immediate and uncontrollable rage that would erupt from my body if someone just up and grabbed my baby. Especially because they can't handle breast feeding.

Like, I might be going to jail that night kind of rage.

I used to think that women should kinda be discreet (if possible) while breastfeeding, but fuck it, it's just a tit who cares. I wouldn't even let a security guard touch my bag (hate fake authority), handling a kid would be unthinkable. But she's a liar and should be jailed.

FStop7

Banned
Envy is a powerful thing.

I spotted a feed-event at a Target a few months back right in the middle of an aisle. The mother made no attempt to find a secluded space or cover up. Just had her bit popped out and the kid was going to town. We saw her, made extended eye contact and I walked backwards a few steps and turned around.

I don't have a problem with public feeding, but the blatant disregard for even an attempt at modesty caught me off guard.

How are things in Riyadh this time of year

Sounds like victim blaming too me. She was not at fault legally, yet she shouldn't have done it what was a pretty safe environment?

You make it sound like she was breast feeding in the middle of the high way.

I wonder if you're gonna try and explain this.

Maybe the guard should have 'corrected' her with a light tap to the body, I've heard that method can even save a marriage. Am I close?

You know...if you are going to be islamophobic in a nuanced way please take your bigoted statements of invoking subtle religious overtones outside and don't troll for the sake of it.

I don't agree with her just letting the guard take her child like that and I dont agree with the guard taking the child just like that. One was too aggressive and one was not aggressive enough in each of their reactions.

But again, if you are going to connect my religion on to EVERYTHING I say even when its not related to any topic, than you are essentially trying your best to bully me verbally. It would be better if you act like most do. with respect. If you are going to invoke my religion in every non religious topic on me, then its better not to quote me again.

EDIT: and now it looks like CCTV shows she might have been making it all up that is was a security guard and perhaps it was no one

Jeezus Christ

What a shit drive-by post

What don't you agree with her about?

see the bolded above, the rest are for the other poster

Even if the original story never happened, there are still some pretty shitty attitudes toward breast feeding in the world (and in this thread). And it says something that the story doesn't seem unbelievable by any means.

Slacker

Even if the original story never happened, there are still some pretty shitty attitudes toward breast feeding in the world (and in this thread). And it says something that the story doesn't seem unbelievable by any means.

Depends on your perspective I guess. Seems ridiculously unbelievable to me.

The Cowboy

Depends on your perspective I guess. Seems ridiculously unbelievable to me.

Same here, i get that there are people out there who don't agree with public breastfeeding and that there are indeed crappy security guards who don't like it/deal with it incorrectly (eg: deal with it at all), but a story about a security guard taking a baby from a mothers breast and walking away with the child (basically publicly kidnapping the child) and saying "if you want your daughter, then come get her" is not what I'd call a believable story.

If this is not true (and it really does sound like it isn't), then as far as I'm concerned the woman is an unfit parent and she should also be charged/fined for this - if it is true, then the guard should get jail time for kidnapping.

liquidtmd

Banned
Primarks response and lack of any CCTV footage at this point won't matter - the outraged social media have mobilised and don't really give two shits about substantiated evidence

NickFire

Primarks response and lack of any CCTV footage at this point won't matter - the outraged social media have mobilised and don't really give two shits about substantiated evidence

Yep, that seems essentially how things work now. Someone lies, social media outrage machine goes full cycle, and when the truth is uncovered instead of spending even 10% of the outrage effort apologizing / condemning the liar / or clearing the name of the real victim (who was lied about), people either simply stop talking about it, or shift the story to nonsense about how it could have happened, or how the fact it was initially believable reflects poorly on society.

liquidtmd

Banned
Yep, that seems essentially how things work now. Someone lies, social media outrage machine goes full cycle, and when the truth is uncovered instead of spending even 10% of the outrage effort apologizing / condemning the liar / or clearing the name of the real victim (who was lied about), people either simply stop talking about it, or shift the story to nonsense about how it could have happened, or how the fact it was initially believable reflects poorly on society.

tumblr_limwgun8Vv1qcna8co1_500.gif

you can see this in action today as well

And what exactly does being in the middle of an isle completely exposed do for the baby's health and well being? Can you show me where I said that women shouldn't be allowed to breastfeed in public? All I'm saying is that it's not disgraceful if someone found that lack of modestly a little surprising. The majority of women would not have felt comfortable doing that, they carry blankets and find more secluded places.

These GAF hive-mind responses are insane. Jumping on a guy for having the slightest varying opinion. This place is becoming so unwelcoming.
If you ever find yourself typing 'GAF Hivemind' as part of your posts non ironically, stop and reevaluate your post because there is nothing of substance to it.

Im sure we all have backroom meetings where we get together and decide we should 'gang up' on people that disagree. It couldn't possibly be that my attitude and thoughts on the matter are much more common, justly, than yours?

Its a disgraceful attitude because it perpetuates a culture that continuously sexualizes and shames women's bodies regardless of circumstance or context. Women don't need to hide breastfeeding, but they're pushed to for no fucking reason. 'Modesty' is not a reason. It's bullshit. If seeing someone breastfeeding shocks you, go fucking see a psychologist, you got problems.

Dead Man

If you breast feed in an area with children around, is that okay? As an unintended consequence the breast feeder may be forcing a nearby parent to explain to their kids what they just witnessed.

For the record, I'm fine with it. But I think this is one of the arguments brought up by people against public breastfeeding

Is this post real? How can you breast feed without children around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom