• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things season 2 Comic-Con Trailer

October 27 is off the fucking charts.

Thor Ragnorok*
Stranger Things
Mario Odyssey

Probably the most epic weekend of entertainment I've ever seen.

*UK release date

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Nah, what makes the show remarkable isn't that it's paying homage to the era, it very frequently feels like it was made in the era. There are things it does not just with set design, but with the direction, the cinematography - it feels like something that was made in 1987, and just got lost for 30 years.
I wouldn't go quite that far, but it certainly comes far closer than Super 8 did, which was just a superficial pastiche that checked the boxes but nothing more.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I wouldn't go quite that far, but it certainly comes far closer than Super 8 did, which was just a superficial pastiche that checked the boxes but nothing more.

Super 8 was just a bad movie with some great production design. The story was a mess and all over the place and the ending was really fucking weird tonally. Lets feel something for the space monster that killed a ton of people.

Blues1990

giphy.gif

qSrk8Ft.gif

Well there are obviously moments where the directors are given the greenlight to do some shit that filmmakers back then were not really even thinking about trying, much less doing, but a large chunk of the show, primarily time spent with the kids getting up to adventuring (and planning adventures) and the adults doing their adult agonizing things - those moments show a restraint that I think people, when they compare Stranger Things to either Ready Player One or Super 8, aren't seeing in those examples. The lack of restraint is what's causing people to put that stuff at arm's length, I think.

Often, Stranger Things has opportunities to shine stuff up, to frame things a little more extravagantly, and more often than not they stick to the basics. That's part of the feel that resonates with me - the filmmaking feels sturdy, for lack of a better word. It's kinda yellowed and beat up but it does exactly what it needs to do.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I don't like this thing where 90s kids who have been ramming 90s kid shit down everyone's throats the last 3 or 4 years are suddenly claiming the 80s as their true alignment.

You will wear those goddamned Zubaz and like it.

I just want to let you know, that my band t-shirt, was a picture of a dude wearing a zoot suit.

Rydeen

For sure, Stranger Things succeeds at what Super 8 pitched itself as and failed to be. Super 8 was close to being great but that third act was a mess, the dad's plots never connected in the way they should've, they wrote out two of the kids from the finale for no reason other than they couldn't think of something for them to do, and yeah, the alien we're supposed to feel sympathy for has been eating people.

If that screenplay had had another three months of work, would've been great.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
October 27 is off the fucking charts.

Thor Ragnorok*
Stranger Things
Mario Odyssey

Probably the most epic weekend of entertainment I've ever seen.

*UK release date

You UK boys need to stop getting Marvel movies first. It ain't fair.

Holy fuckin' HYPE!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT

Jesus christ. I cannot express in words how excited I am, the only things that fit are squeaks and excited clapping. GOD. It's just SO GOOD

Foundling

I was a bit leery of them coming back to the same characters and situation after a near-perfect S1... but man, the second Thriller kicks in I'm sold.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Now that's how you do a trailer. Great use of Thriller and Vincent Price

The most 80's thing about this isn't Dragon's Lair or Ghostbusters or Thriller, it's the show being willing to put children in front of the camera and trust them to fucking act.

Yep, was so refreshing to see in s1

I will definitely watch. So am pleased with this news. Thanks GAF. 13 reasons as a second season..... Meh. Doubt will watch. The last one was a bit long winded.

Nokterian

I was born in 1982 but everything from the 80's still carried over to the 90's when i was growing up..the 80's are still stuck with me forever since. I just adore that era for everything how it evolved to things we see today.

Seeing games,movies en synthwave making a huge comeback for the last years is reminder on how cool and influential the 80's are.

Daffy Duck

I was born in 1982 but everything from the 80's still carried over to the 90's when i was growing up..the 80's are still stuck with me forever since. I just adore that era for everything how it evolved to things we see today.

Seeing games,movies en synthwave making a huge comeback for the last years is reminder on how cool and influential the 80's are.

Born in 81 and feel exactly the same.

Also going through a synthwave renaissance at the moment too.

Guy.brush

Well there are obviously moments where the directors are given the greenlight to do some shit that filmmakers back then were not really even thinking about trying, much less doing, but a large chunk of the show, primarily time spent with the kids getting up to adventuring (and planning adventures) and the adults doing their adult agonizing things - those moments show a restraint that I think people, when they compare Stranger Things to either Ready Player One or Super 8, aren't seeing in those examples. The lack of restraint is what's causing people to put that stuff at arm's length, I think.

Often, Stranger Things has opportunities to shine stuff up, to frame things a little more extravagantly, and more often than not they stick to the basics. That's part of the feel that resonates with me - the filmmaking feels sturdy, for lack of a better word. It's kinda yellowed and beat up but it does exactly what it needs to do.

I agree.
Watching the Ready Player One trailer you can see a total lack of restraint and subsequently total lack of physicality. You can't really hold on to those frames, they slip by the audience's fingers as fast as their detached-from-reality cameras rush by.
Those extravagant CG sequences come from previs companies going nuts with their Maya previs camera scenes traveling at impossible-to-achieve-in-reality speeds and the director often just nodding it off at an early state so it can enter the lengthy vfx pipeline. Throw in some "this is how cameras behave in video games" justification and you immediately get a total lack of physics and sense of actually being there.
Especially the stuff like the 80s Delorean or other older pop culture references feel weird in the modern CG camera action context to me.

STRANGER THINGS is still in the more old school business of set extentions, with emphasis on extention of an existing set. They just can't afford a full on CG previs department that comes up with full sequences.

Super 8 was just a bad movie with some great production design. The story was a mess and all over the place and the ending was really fucking weird tonally. Lets feel something for the space monster that killed a ton of people.
Let The Right One In expected us to feel something for a vampire that killed a ton of people. On purpose. Maybe not the best example, but Super 8's monster just wants to leave earth. It doesn't want to hurt people, exactly. This is not an uncommon story theme.

Like, Stitch from Lilo and Stitch didn't kill anyone through the magic of Disney plotting, but he was a small, violent psychopath with a propensity for using weapons and/or claws on anything that annoyed him. He was still sympathetic.

I feel Super 8 was a pretty darn good film all things considered.

Mush

I woke up to this with my GF and we both said we wouldn't spoil it.

Ended up watching it together in bed like 10 minutes later.

Brilliant!

Wait... it's out the same weekend here in the UK as Ragnarok and Mario Odyssey and Wolfenstein? Holy shit, can't wait.

Violet_0

Banned
I guess I'll have to give it a shot, but I was wondering, is Stranger Things intentionally campy? Is the underlying mystery plot of S1 and it's conclusion statisfying?

Tovarisc

Nancy and Steve have falling out, again? Nancy hooks up with Jonathan to investigate some weird shit because only he believes her, again? While at it they, again, put up some love triangle hints?

Surely we aren't getting 2.0 of that triangle?

lmao did I just see Sean Astin? dat Goonies stunt casting.

I thought the 1st season was aiight, theres room for improvement. but I liked how rooted in the 80s it all was. the use of Thriller in this trailer was fantastic.

one of the best trailers this year thanks to that music. looks like a fun time.

ApharmdX

Banned
This is a fantastic trailer, I am so hyped for season 2. This is how you do a trailer!

For sure, Stranger Things succeeds at what Super 8 pitched itself as and failed to be. Super 8 was close to being great but that third act was a mess, the dad's plots never connected in the way they should've, they wrote out two of the kids from the finale for no reason other than they couldn't think of something for them to do, and yeah, the alien we're supposed to feel sympathy for has been eating people.

If that screenplay had had another three months of work, would've been great.

That still bothers me more than anything else about that movie. The alien is more advanced, and we are supposed to pity his captivity and the experiments done on him, but this motherfucker has been eating people... not just soldiers, but random innocent people in the town.

Any sympathy I had for the alien was gone after that, but the movie rolls on like we are supposed to be all wracked with guilt for how it's treated, and enthusiastic about how he escapes.

bionic77

Damn the people who make this show really know what makes this show work (and also how to manipulate 80s children).

Brilliant trailer.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Let The Right One In expected us to feel something for a vampire that killed a ton of people. On purpose. Maybe not the best example, but Super 8's monster just wants to leave earth. It doesn't want to hurt people, exactly. This is not an uncommon story theme.

Like, Stitch from Lilo and Stitch didn't kill anyone through the magic of Disney plotting, but he was a small, violent psychopath with a propensity for using weapons and/or claws on anything that annoyed him. He was still sympathetic.

I feel Super 8 was a pretty darn good film all things considered.

Except both of those movies do far far more to actually make you sympathetic to the vampire and the psychopathic alien. They spend the majority of their movie directly focusing on those characters and their interactions with those around them building them up, giving them depth and humanizing the monster. Super 8 does none of that. The monster is a menacing threat the entire film and more time is spent building up the reveal of what it actually looks like than anything about making us feel something for it besides dread and fear. It wantonly murdering people left and right I'm not exactly going to go,"Awww I hope ET gets home!". Super 8 was a mess, a pretty mess, but a mess none-the-less.

krang

I love Stanger Things and despite being told repeatedly that I'm wrong, I love Super 8.

ST is better, but it doesn't mean S8 doesn't need to exist or is any less fun to me.

Top Bottom