• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things season 2 Comic-Con Trailer

You obviously don't live in the midwest.

I don't. From New England actually where it was quite huge as a kid but have since moved to quite a few different places and it doesn't seem quite as popular as it used to be. I feel like we have had threads about this topic before actually where most people felt similarly.

NightOnyx

Whoever was in charge of that trailer needs a raise! Man that was great and the use of Thriller was genius. I can wait to watch season 2.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The Vincent Price part of Thriller also syncs up incredibly well with the scenery used and how its edited. The lines match the scenes chosen really damn well. Didn't notice until several rewatches later but its a really well done trailer. Its edited and presented better than some movies.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
I legit almost cried watching thissss OMFGGGGG

Stranger Things is for me the single BEST THING in TV in the last... I don't know... many years!!! Absolutely love everything about this show!

This trailer was so damn awesome. OMFG! :D

ultron87

giphy.gif

mantidor

Well, that's Vincent Price's voice from Thriller in the trailer, but I must have missed Sean Astin.

Well I'm dumb, I thought Price appeared as himself somewhere with some CGI shenanigans or something, not the obvious voiceover.

Sean Austin is the nurse guy now that I saw it again.

120v

they're laying it on thick with THE 80'S! eh

well i'll give it to em... one of the few shows where jamming the nostalgia button still works

HStallion

The fear on display in Will Byers was chilling. Great acting.

This trailer was something else.

Yeah he was the one kid who didn't get nearly as much screen time in the first season and I was wondering if he could keep up now that he's in it full time and that scene alone seemed really good.

Yeah he was the one kid who didn't get nearly as much screen time in the first season and I was wondering if he could keep up now that he's in it full time and that scene alone seemed really good.

Gets to test his acting chops.

Also, i think Nancy is having to come to terms with Barbs death and kind of her fault in it. Something i don't think she knows. Until maybe now in season 2.

Would explain her continued display of sorrow and guilt.

they're laying it on thick with THE 80'S! eh

well i'll give it to em... one of the few shows where jamming the nostalgia button still works

It does the nostalgia/80s thing right. There are so many movies or shows that are basically set in the 80s but the characters are "just modern people pretending to someone from the 80s". I kinda liken those to those "80s theme parties" everybody thinks that wearing a "Frankie Says Relax" shirt or leg warmers means you are suddenly "authentic 80s". I think some forget, people in the 80s weren't TRYING to be 80s-like, they WERE of the 80s, authentic as authentic can be. I think Stranger Things tries to capture THAT while riding trend and nostalgia without become a spoof of the 1980s. I've always said, if you want to make a movie set in the 80s and make it feel real, don't binge-watch all three seasons of VH1's "I Love the 80s", watch actual footage from home videos or news footage (both can be found EASILY on Youtube), or the movies from the era. Hell, they said the people behind Stranger Things looked through old early-80s yearbooks to get inspirations to make these kids look as authentic to how REAL kids looked back in the early 80s (hairstyle, clothing style). That's how you do it right!

HStallion

It does the nostalgia/80s thing right. There are so many movies or shows that are basically set in the 80s but the characters are "just modern people pretending to someone from the 80s". I kinda liken those to those "80s theme parties" everybody thinks that wearing a "Frankie Says Relax" shirt or leg warmers means you are suddenly "authentic 80s". I think some forget, people in the 80s weren't TRYING to be 80s-like, they WERE of the 80s, authentic as authentic can be. I think Stranger Things tries to capture THAT while riding trend and nostalgia without become a spoof of the 1980s. I've always said, if you want to make a movie set in the 80s and make it feel real, don't binge-watch all three seasons of VH1's "I Love the 80s", watch actual footage from home videos or news footage (both can be found EASILY on Youtube), or the movies from the era. Hell, they said the people behind Stranger Things looked through old early-80s yearbooks to get inspirations to make these kids look as authentic to how REAL kids looked back in the early 80s (hairstyle, clothing style). That's how you do it right!

They also didn't just insert 80's references to go,"Hey look at thing you remember growing up with" but actually involved many things directly into the story even as simple as the fantasy character arch types the boys use while playing D&D and the monster being represented by the Demigorgon.

They also didn't just insert 80's references to go,"Hey look at thing you remember growing up with" but actually involved many things directly into the story even as simple as the fantasy character arch types the boys use while playing D&D and the monster being represented by the Demigorgon.

Yeah they didn't put that cheesy extra focus on it, like other attempts have. It's always just one small piece of a larger narrative. Never overstaying it's welcome and making sure to stay character driven.

JoeBoy101

I would've posted my absolutely joy at this trailer, but I've been too busy repeat watching while tweaking my nipple-tips.

Came for the Dragon's Lair. Stayed for the funk of 40,000 years.

Bronx-Man

Banned
A certain upcoming movie could learn from this.

Top Bottom