• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things [SPOILER THREAD] We're All Fleas Now

El Topo

Wouldn't mind if we got to meet maybe intelligent life from the other side. Give me Illithids.

I'd love to see something even worse than the Demagorgon in season 2. Like something that eats them like they eat humans.

Doesn't really get much worse in D&D terms than Demogorgon though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wouldn't mind if we got to meet maybe intelligent life from the other side. Give me Illithids.

Doesn't really get much worse in D&D terms than Demogorgon though.

Well fine, I want the DM of the Upside Down. How about that?

Well fine, I want the DM of the Upside Down. How about that?

This is it.

stranger-things-101.jpg

Another two-headed beast!

Solo

Just finished it. What an amazing and touching ride. I could see Eleven's demise coming, yet that didn't stop me from sobbing like a little girl, because the actors were so great, the characters so rich, and the direction so top notch. To my mind, this is the best thing Netflix has ever made.

Really appreciated the consistency of direction. The Duffer Bros directed 6 of the episodes and Shawn Levy the other 2. Hope Season 2 (fingers crossed) can keep that consistency.

Just finished it. What an amazing and touching ride. I could see Eleven's demise coming, yet that didn't stop me from sobbing like a little girl, because the actors were so great, the characters so rich, and the direction so top notch. To my mind, this is the best thing Netflix has ever made.
Absolutely agree.

Eleven's sacrifice was pretty sad but for me the part where I almost cried was the parallel between Hop's daughter dying and him saving Will's life. I swear if I hadn't been watching with the missus I would have cried my eyes out.

Also, I didn't want Bennie to die. I know we just spent like 15 minutes with him but he seemed such a kind soul. :(

Its just a possibility and I believe even Brenner comments on it. There is also a distinct lack of water in the Upside Down though that could mean nothing at all.

it was also raining/had rained the night El escaped/Will went missing.

I just finished and I loved it except for the ending. It wasnt very clever or interesting for all the setup it had.

Exentryk

Started watching this last night. Saw the first two episodes and it seems interesting so far. Direction is nice.

So will at the end

I've got a feeling he was either being made into a human incubator for baby monsters or he was being turned into a monster himself

There are obviously some residual effects with him being able to blink through dimensions and I can't help but feel like he's going to transform drastically

This also leads me to wonder...where did the first monster come from? Was it human once? What created it?

So whats the deal with the Monsters strength??

Shrugs off bullets from that girl and then all those soldiers.
Gets burnt.
Smacked with that baseball bat with spikes

Stranger Things is easily the best thing Netflix has done visually and with sound design, if not a whole product.

The only issue I have is the ending has questions with not enough thread to latch on to, but i'm there for S2, regardless.

sfedai0

Banned
Probably been gone over but why do they need suits to go in the other world? Didnt the chief go in without a suit the first time? Or when John and Nancy went in through the portal in the forest?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Probably been gone over but why do they need suits to go in the other world? Didnt the chief go in without a suit the first time? Or when John and Nancy went in through the portal in the forest?

One of the government people says the air is toxic. im guessing it was mostly the particulate matter in the air.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Stranger Things shines an even harsher light on how utterly awful Hemlock Grove is.

Anticol

Banned
This is kind of how I feel about it too. A different threat for each season/sequel they have, maybe the rift didn't just open to that plane of reality but acted as a beacon to all kinds of nasty shit.

Yeah, I like that idea but the only problem is that eleven wouldn't be able to be part of the sequel as she is lost in the upside down world and her all persona is defined in the story by this.

The only way doing different treats would work with all the characters as part of the story, including 11, would be if they start from zero, without any of the events from the first season happening, a fresh start, and each subsequent season doing the same and I truly don't like that idea.

Solo

Absolutely agree.

Eleven's sacrifice was pretty sad but for me the part where I almost cried was the parallel between Hop's daughter dying and him saving Will's life. I swear if I hadn't been watching with the missus I would have cried my eyes out.

Also, I didn't want Bennie to die. I know we just spent like 15 minutes with him but he seemed such a kind soul. :(

I should have clarified that it wasn't just 11's demise that had me sobbing, it was Hop's redemption (if that's what we want to call it - probably not the best word though) too. That tore me up. David Harbour's Hopper was the MVP of the show for me. Just a wonderful performance that was the glue that held everything together.

I also thought for a time that Hop's daughter, or at least a shadow version of her, was going to appear and in Upside Down and that Hop was going to sacrifice himself to save Will/be reunited with his daughter. Also, the final Will scene gave me mad Twin Peaks vibes.

Yeah, I like that idea but the only problem is that eleven wouldn't be able to be part of the sequel as she is lost in the upside down world and her all persona is defined int eh story by this.

The only way doing different threats would work with all the characters as part of the story, including 11, would be if they start from zero, without any of the events from the first season happening, a fresh start, and each subsequent season doing the same and I truly don't like that idea.

You could somehow spin season 2 into a continuation if Will can somehow master his blinking between dimensions. It'd be he and the gang trying to retrieve El from Upside Down. Only problem is the body horror angle being teased at the end of episode 8.

Starts giving me "It" vibes just thinking about it. I mean, they're all referred to as "losers" so why not just start The Losers Club v.2

Do we know if season two will be a direct continuation of the story or something totally new? e.g. True Detectives or American Horror Story.

I'm personally hoping for the later.

Arkeband

Banned
So whats the deal with the Monsters strength??

Shrugs off bullets from that girl and then all those soldiers.
Gets burnt.
Smacked with that baseball bat with spikes

They were channeling a lot of D&D rules about planes - IIRC you can't even permanently kill most creatures unless you do it on their own plane.

El probably killed that monster though since she disintegrated it and also took both of them back to its plane.

Also I don't think the slugs are directly related to the monster, because it would make more sense for an entire dimension to be filled with multiple creatures, it's just that this town was being terrorized by one of the lesser humanoid ones.

Elandyll

Banned
Just finished last night and man, I love this show.

Hopefully they release an official soundtrack, but the extended theme will do atm :)

So many questions still...

The obvious ones about Will, "The Company" and El of course, but also

- Hopps was picked up by the government, for questionning we assume. But it then seems like He subsequently "knows" something as hinted by his little stroll which let us hope that El is still around. What was told to him, if anything.
- They found a huge egg while in the Upside Down... made me realize the monster could thus have been "just a baby", OR one of many species existing there. Made me think of the final third of the movie "The Mist"...
What if there were things like that existing at different stages of reality in the UD?
mistbehemotho1.jpg

- It seemed the creature, once it found its way to our world, could open passages at will (Will's house, Tree...)... Gotta wonder if the threat isn't going to become more widespread from there, or if Will isn't himself becoming an incubator (with a scene that may or may not have been an hallucination)...

As a huge Raimi, Carpenter and King fan I was in heaven for most of it, but also glad when they visibly were acknowledging and paying tribute to them (big Firestarter scene when Hopps and Will's mom visit El's mother, with King literally name dropped hehe).

Just finished last night and man, I love this show.

Hopefully they release an official soundtrack, but the extended theme will do atm :)

So many questions still...

The obvious ones about Will, "The Company" and El of course, but also

- Hopps was picked up by the government, for questionning we assume. But it then seems like He subsequently "knows" something as hinted by his little stroll which let us hope that El is still around. What was told to him, if anything.

A theory my friend proposed is that Hopper is actually a government agent who was placed in the town to keep an eye on the facility's testing. Given how easily he was able to get in and talk his way out of trouble with them I'm inclined to believe this a little.

Matty77

A theory my friend proposed is that Hopper is actually a government agent who was placed in the town to keep an eye on the facility's testing. Given how easily he was able to get in and talk his way out of trouble with them I'm inclined to believe this a little.
The show pretty much makes it clear Hopper is from town, becomes a cop in the city, then when his daughter dies he goes back to his hometown to drown himself in a drug and alcohol haze but being a local who's a good cop he's functioning enough to get the Chiefs job. He is not a plant.

HStallion

Is there any reason people suspect this as its not like his first choice for searching for Will was to go straight to the Dept. of Energy. The first time he got in, they let him in because it would be far more suspicious to turn away the sheriff while the entire town is on the look for a lost little kid. They fed him some BS and sent him on his way thinking he would just take it at face value.

The next time he snuck in and I don't think they wanted to risk killing the Sheriff after several mysterious disappearances, a "suicide", missing kid and so on. The last time he got in, got caught and they were basically straight going to kill him but he was able to convince Brenner to let him go on a suicide mission into the Upside Down which I'm sure Brenner thought he would never return from.

it does seem a little too far fetched, but I think he was also thinking of it from the view point of how he was at the end when the agents show up.

Either way it goes, I'm ok with not every situation being answered or explained. I like when things are explained just enough to satisfy without going into full details.

it does seem a little too far fetched, but I think he was also thinking of it from the view point of how he was at the end when the agents show up.

Either way it goes, I'm ok with not every situation being answered or explained. I like when things are explained just enough to satisfy without going into full details.

He got in the car because of an outstanding deal with the agents--think of it as Mulder making a deal with the CSM in X-Files. It's a tenuous partnership.

I'm sure he also had some explaining to do because of Joyce breaking the story after the deal was made that everyone would stay mum. Hopper is likely having to make up for Joyce's heel-turn by complying with what the agents want now.

Matty77

Before the car after getting will back no, but everything after and into season two I bet he is working for them. With what happened to Brenner and his security chief,plus the state police,and Hop in the woods I am betting they made a thing where he does their dirty work but doesn't screw things up and he gets some say in how they do things for his towns sake, like not suiciding people.

Plus working with not against is his best chance of getting El back.

HStallion

That shot where Steve spins the bat mid-beatdown was fly as hell. Almost made me go #TeamSteve.

Almost.

Yeah that was a pretty slick moment and despite it being a bit flashy for a dude who was losing his shit a few moments before it was a pretty epic moment before he started laying down the nail bat beating.

Stranger Things is easily the best thing Netflix has done visually and with sound design, if not a whole product.
No kidding. The LFE channel on the DD+ was almost over-cooked and used so effectively. Visually, I was amazed at the composition of some of the shots. It's not without its issues though (but what isn't). Netflix, in my mind, has produced it's best show yet.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So... does that ending mean there will be a season 2 continuation? It really seems like they should have gone the anthology route and have a self-contained story. I guess this can be a "creepy" end, but implying the girl is still alive and that the boy is still in danger makes me think they left the door open for season 2. Maybe the wrap up the "Upside-Down" and turn it into an Eerie Indiana type show with paranormal stuff in general.

Burt

So... does that ending mean there will be a season 2 continuation? It really seems like they should have gone the anthology route and have a self-contained story. I guess this can be a "creepy" end, but implying the girl is still alive and that the boy is still in danger makes me think they left the door open for season 2. Maybe the wrap up the "Upside-Down" and turn it into an Eerie Indiana type show with paranormal stuff in general.

There was a great interview with the creators posted earlier that dove into some of that stuff, I think this was it:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/stranger-things-finale-duffer-brothers-interview-season-2-1201816664/

I think what they've said that if the show gets picked up again, they'll be doing a "sequel", not a second season. I also think they said that it wasn't going to be anthology style, so by sequel I'm assuming they mean picking up a few years down the line rather than moving forward straight from the end of this season. Might be a bit of a hard thing to swing with the kids, but if they do, I definitely think that's the way to go.

Yup, everyone should read that interview, it's really good.

Can I talk about how awesome Dustin is? I absolutely loved how he seemed to come from nowhere laying the smack down on compasses and the group dynamic. I was shocked, because it almost seemed out of character but looking back I realized it wasn't.

From the very first episode they established how observant he was, by him correctly stating which monster they were going to face. Looking back, his personality is the kind of player that can key in on the subtleties and hints of the DM, giving him an advantage of what to expect. Later his interaction with Nancy and then his comments after mentioning how she had changed, further showed his observation skills.

I loved his rant on compasses and his speeches on the group dynamic. He was one blunt, chocolate pudding lover, awesome character.

I am also really glad there was no awkward crush behavior from him about Nancy throughout the show. I really thought that was going to be a thing later but it wasn't.

So at the end the sheriff left some eggo waffles. Is 11 alive on the other side? And I knew Will wasn't going to be right. When is season 2? Will it have the same cast or tell the stories of different characters?

golem

So at the end the sheriff left some eggo waffles. Is 11 alive on the other side? And I knew Will wasn't going to be right. When is season 2? Will it have the same cast or tell the stories of different characters?

Seems like it will feature the same cast next season.

I think the Sheriff is just hoping 11 will come back and find the eggos

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
Just finished it, it was ok. I really wish they didn't show the monster so much or at least tried to obscure it more cause that bad cgi really took me out of it. Also too many of the characters felt unbelievably brave, like why the heck did nancy crawl into that tree what the hell.

Matty77

Yup, everyone should read that interview, it's really good.

Can I talk about how awesome Dustin is? I absolutely loved how he seemed to come from nowhere laying the smack down on compasses and the group dynamic. I was shocked, because it almost seemed out of character but looking back I realized it wasn't.

From the very first episode they established how observant he was, by him correctly stating which monster they were going to face. Looking back, his personality is the kind of player that can key in on the subtleties and hints of the DM, giving him an advantage of what to expect. Later his interaction with Nancy and then his comments after mentioning how she had changed, further showed his observation skills.

I loved his rant on compasses and his speeches on the group dynamic. He was one blunt, chocolate pudding lover, awesome character.

I am also really glad there was no awkward crush behavior from him about Nancy throughout the show. I really thought that was going to be a thing later but it wasn't.
Yeah I am on a rewatch and Dustin is definitely the MVP of the kids part of the story, also the most rational and pragmatic out of him Mike and Lucas.

Did anyone else think at one point that the monster was the Upside Down version of Eleven? Especially considering her appetite at diner.

Burt

Did anyone else think at one point that the monster was the Upside Down version of Eleven? Especially considering her appetite at diner.

I personally lean towards "against" for that theory, but it could go either way with the information that we have. There weren't any mirrors of people, only structures, in the USD, but that Variety interview with the Duffer brothers talks about their 30 page document for it. They allude to a reason for there only being one monster (which mirrors Eleven's uniqueness), and the fact that it seems pretty much impervious to everything other than Eleven's abilities could suggest some sort of connection.

Just finished it, it was ok. I really wish they didn't show the monster so much or at least tried to obscure it more cause that bad cgi really took me out of it. Also too many of the characters felt unbelievably brave, like why the heck did nancy crawl into that tree what the hell.
Well, they did hide it as best they could when they could with flashing lights in the middle school and darkness in the Byers's home. It looked really good in Eleven's blank space. But yeah, even with the flashing lights, the stuff in the school was a bit rough.

Matty77

As for her appetite I attribute that to mixture of power drain along with how many meals do you think she is honestly getting in a lab setting vs. just enough of the exact nutritional requirements.

In fact I was thinking about it today during the scene with Benny, she was scarfing that burger down like she had never tasted one before.

Edit: read your post wrong, the info I brought up didn't come until later.

I personally lean towards "against" for that theory, but it could go either way with the information that we have. There weren't any mirrors of people, only structures, in the USD, but that Variety interview with the Duffer brothers talks about their 30 page document for it. They allude to a reason for there only being one monster (which mirrors Eleven's uniqueness), and the fact that it seems pretty much impervious to everything other than Eleven's abilities could suggest some sort of connection.
Whoa, that's interesting, I haven't read any interviews yet. But yeah, if that theory is works out, I can see the reason there's only one monster is because it's linked to Eleven's power. Maybe whatever was in the egg is now attached to Will.

hughesta

Banned
The way I see it, Will has PTSD. the slug coming out of him, maybe something inside him hatched. It escaped, and will feed and grow and terrorize the town once again. But him seeing the upside down? Totally just flashing back after seeing the slug. I don't think he was actually transported there.

Matty77

The way I see it, Will has PTSD. the slug coming out of him, maybe something inside him hatched. It escaped, and will feed and grow and terrorize the town once again. But him seeing the upside down? Totally just flashing back after seeing the slug. I don't think he was actually transported there.
Yeah, they were kind of vague about that, not just on the show but in the in depth variety interview, so it's really one of those things that all speculation is game. I'm half and half, I think the slug was real but the USD was more trauma, hopefully we get word on a sequel and find out.

Top Bottom