• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 5 for PS4 & PC teaser trailer

The new graphics look really rough but better aesthetically in some ways to SF4. Hopefully they give the characters more real skin colors, everything was too orange.
It's probably a very early look, it's the same as what happened with SFxT when it was first revealed.

I wouldn't doubt if those attack particles were placeholders, specially the Shinku Hadouken one.

Rembrandt

Banned
As an example:

Both of his statements seem consistent to me. At worst he's happy that SFV was simply announced, regardless of platform. In both, he expresses his dislike for console publishers snatching up exclusivity deals.

one is obviously tonally different even though the message is the same. if he would have went into this thread with the same disdain he went into the other one, then I would agree.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Both of his statements seem consistent to me. At worst he's happy that SFV was simply announced, regardless of platform. In both, he expresses his dislike for console publishers snatching up exclusivity deals.
If you want to expose hypocrisy you need to filter out the people that are just happy that a new game is announced.

Despite the claim that this is a similar situation. The circumstance was that no new footage was shown at the TR exclusivity reveal and the game was known for 2 months (and the people that were excited posted their initial reaction to the game in June) when the exclusivity was announced in August.

Ryu is older and stronger in SFV since it happens chronologically after SFIII, so a good amount of years after SFIV.

Let's not make hasty presumptions about a game we know nothing about. SFV taking place post SFIII is merely a theory proposed by an SRK writer.

God, I hope that's the case, though. A story taking place after SFIII would be a welcome change.

yeah, his I could understand, but I was mainly quoting people that were upset in one thread and not the other.

I don't think some of your examples prove anything. Saying an exclusive is "terrible" in one thread and a "megaton" in another doesn't mean that it still isn't bad news. The two viewpoints are not mutually exclusive.

Ghazi

from the first 10 pages:

to

to

to

to

(But who's really surprised at that one)

to

to

to

to

to

I'm positive they can find more throughout that 150+ page thread or we can act like people aren't reacting differently to what's basically the same situation, only different consoles.
Wall of truth.

Rembrandt

Banned
Other than Dragonborn, I don't see any hypocrisy here.

One person claiming they have both consoles but they're not going to get The XB1 version telling SE to eat shit to literally not caring about SFV, just thinking it's overrated. But whatever, it's obvious the posts a lot of those people made concerning TR aren't the same they're making towards this.

I don't think some of your examples prove anything. Saying an exclusive is "terrible" in one thread and a "megaton" in another doesn't mean that it still isn't bad news. The two viewpoints are not mutually exclusive.

So why the extremely negative post towards one exclusive, but the barely noticeable one towards another? That's what I'm talking about. People's tones are wholly inconsistent. That's what other posters were saying, too.

I'm positive they can find more throughout that 150+ page thread or we can act like people aren't reacting differently to what's basically the same situation, only different consoles.

that's not really the point for me. Usually when such claims are made nobody ever does the legwork to back them up. you are the rare exception.

Wow! I was not expecting SF5 anytime soon; It's awesome to see that it's in development. Wonderful teaser too, kinda emotional feel to it ;)

It looks really good to me for, what I would assume is a very early build of it. I was really hoping that in SF5 they'd be moving away from the overly-muscular character designs that SF4 had, but I'm going to hold back any judgement on the characters until I see more of the game (I'm sure it'll look great regardless). Still, I was also really hoping that for SF5, Capcom would be using Guilty Gear Xrd-like technology to make it look almost like a 3D cel-shaded SF2, but I guess that wasn't a very realistic hope on my part! (I can dream...)

I also can't shake the feeling from watching that teaser that that's not how the game was supposed to be revealed. Like maybe it was a show of support for the Street Fighter community to be uploaded after a SF5 reveal trailer? Anyway, really looking forward to seeing more of the game (and bring back Urien, Ono, please!).

Chobel

One person claiming they have both consoles but they're not going to get The XB1 version telling SE to eat shit to literally not caring about SFV, just thinking it's overrated. But whatever, it's obvious the posts a lot of those people made concerning TR aren't the same they're making towards this.

Majanew? I'm not sure what he said in this contradict what he said in RoTR thread, he's totally talking about different matters.

Gartooth

Just saw the news, OMG didn't expect it this soon. :D

Shame about the exclusivity, if I was an Xbox owner I would be both incredibly pissed and start deciding when I was going to buy a PS4.

-MD-

Something about SF4/5 visuals that just turns me away.

None of the trailers work for SF5 so I'm just going off the screens in the OP.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Though focusing on how big the announcement is compared to how shitty it is for gamers like the TR reactions shows the difference in reactions Rem was talking about.

One happened right away, the other happened 2 months after the reveal.

Rembrandt

Banned
Majanew? I'm not sure what he said in this contradict what he said in RoTR thread, he's totally talking about different matters.

No, he's not. He didn't post in this thread, but in the Tomb Raider thread he was obviously upset over the exclusivity which is the only reason why a person with both consoles wouldn't buy it. He posted in the other thread with none of the same attitude. He's basically just disappointed it's not something bigger or something he cares about.

Rembrandt

Banned
Only a few of those are actually straight-up hypocrisy. Some of them are even downright consistent.

There's a general feeling that certain people, including a few above, treat Sony with kid gloves, but it really isn't as prominent as you'd expect. This thread, in fact, is so damaged by exclusivity discussion that someone spun out a discussion thread for the game itself that bans that kind of talk!

Point out the consistent ones.

actually, my post was enough. People can feel free to agree or disagree, but I know the feel of having thread announcement threads derailed by shit, so I'll leave it.

RC

Banned
I was hoping for a different visual style. Was never a fan of SFIV's look and this just appears to be just a prettier version of that.
Although if it plays different from IV, I might give it a shot.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Chun li always sorta had big hands.

If you mean the 'puffiness' from street fighter iv. It's no where near as bad.

chunli_newgame_screen.jpg

jswf3g60exfcqyzi1osc.gif
Honestly, I prefer SFIV's. The characters looked a lot more expressive, and I prefer the vibrant colour palette to what they are showing here.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Things like this just set a bad precedent in general....now because of this MS will probably move to lock down Tomb Raider as a full exclusive, and then i can't play it because Sony tries to one up them with this kinda BS.

SF is Capcom's biggest brand name, there's no way they would have let that die with or without Sony's involvement. It should have been something really good that we weren't really going to get, like yes, DMC5. or Dragon's Dogma next gen.

Chobel

No, he's not. He didn't post in this thread, but in the Tomb Raider thread he was obviously upset over the exclusivity which is the only reason why a person with both consoles wouldn't buy it. He posted in the other thread with none of the same attitude. He's basically just disappointed it's not something bigger or something he cares about.

I could argue this is just your confirmation bias at work. There's nothing suggesting he wanted a bigger moneyhat from Sony, all we know from his comment is that he didn't like the idea of SFV being the biggest megaton in PSX, that's it, any other conclusion is just a speculation.

Personally I think that this is WAY more of a system seller than the Tomb Raider sequel. And unlike that game,this one appears to be a true console exclusive.

Rembrandt

Banned
I could argue this is just your confirmation bias at work. There's nothing suggesting he wanted a bigger moneyhat from Sony, all we know from his comment is that he didn't like the idea of SFV being the biggest megaton in PSX, any other conclusion is just a speculation.

I didn't say he wanted a bigger moneyhat. He was obviously upset at the idea of TR being exclusive, but isn't upset at SF. That's literally my only point.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I didn't say he wanted a bigger moneyhat. He was obviously upset at the idea of TR being exclusive, but isn't upset at SF. That's literally my only point.
But that wasn't what was requested by bish. He asked for evidence of statements such as "i was just scanning the tomb raider thread earlier and checking post history of anyone who got upset and they posted here all excited."

Nothing for example Man-is-Obsolete posted is even remotely evidence for such a statement.

The exclusive thing sucks but it's on PC so I'm personally just fine.

This is gonna be a dumb generation if it's just going to be a bunch of third party buyouts instead of funneling that money into first party studios making more games. Whatever they paid for this, I wonder if you could have given a small team that same money and put out a really great first-party game...

Sony has plenty of first and second party studios making games for PS4.

Rembrandt

Banned
But that wasn't what was requested by bish. He asked for evidence of statements such as "i was just scanning the tomb raider thread earlier and checking post history of anyone who got upset and they posted here all excited."

Nothing for example Man-is-Obsolete posted is even remotely evidence for such a statement.

So literal excitement, not just a general different reception of news? Oh, well, my bad. Well, at least that goes along with the posters saying they're not surprised by the different tones of post between the two topics.

Baleoce

I'll admit it, even though I'm as sceptical about the dimps engine as ever, I'm pretty damn hyped for SF5 :) Can't wait. How could I not be. It's one of those things that surpasses expectations / scepticism, & childhood takes over. It's Street Fighter. So it has to succeed,
right?

Look I love Street Fighter but if this was seriously the unexpected announcement I'm disappointed. I expected 5 at some point this gen. Oh well. Looks good as usual!

Omega

Banned
The exclusive thing sucks but it's on PC so I'm personally just fine.

This is gonna be a dumb generation if it's just going to be a bunch of third party buyouts instead of funneling that money into first party studios making more games. Whatever they paid for this, I wonder if you could have given a small team that same money and put out a really great first-party game...

lets be serious we wont be playing this on PC anyway

CS all day every day

Things like this just set a bad precedent in general....now because of this MS will probably move to lock down Tomb Raider as a full exclusive, and then i can't play it because Sony tries to one up them with this kinda BS.

SF is Capcom's biggest brand name, there's no way they would have let that die with or without Sony's involvement. It should have been something really good that we weren't really going to get, like yes, DMC5. or Dragon's Dogma next gen.

Some people are saying those games are still possible...

Pretty sure that honour goes to Resident Evil. I actually think Monster Hunter does more in Japan than SF does internationally, too.

SFIV: 3.3 million
SSFIV: 1.9 million
SSFIV3D: 1.2 million
SSFIVAE: 1.1 million
USFIV: About 500K last I heard?

Compare that to Resident Evil 6 which is at 6 million.

It's really only a major game in name brand alone, not necessarily in sales.

Honestly looks like SF makes more money that RE due to all its re-releases. Though RE does still ^ million + and pretty quickly so who knows. Those are two are definitely their biggest brands.

Well I wish the game would have been on both consoles. All this is gonna do is start a bidding war between the two companies for 3rd party exclusives.

Now we get to listen to fanboys hype up these exclusives beyond belief and then forgive the developers for releasing unfinished/broken games all gen just because it's exclusive.

vpance

How would anyone here know how much SF5 exclusivity cost vs making X game vs buying Y game? It's all baseless speculation.

Anyways, wait 17 hrs first, we might get all 3.

gaming_noob

Great, so the three of you can work together and cross reference those names against the TR timed exclusivity thread. I'd love to see these duplicitous rogues exposed for the hypocrites they are! Altered Juice - you go getter, you! - is already up and running, so this shouldn't take long at all!

See you in 24 hours.

24 hour bans or perm?

Rembrandt

Banned
Where's the hypocrisy though? He said nothing about moneyhatting in this thread.

Your point being? I'm saying that he was obviously upset at one exclusive, but isn't showing that same anger concerning this game for whatever reason. That's what people were saying when they said there was different receptions between the two.

@Rembrandt
Did you actually read the posts you quoted? Most of them aren't contradictory/hypocritical.

Considering I went through 10 pages, yeah. Which ones? most of them showed anger in one topic and none in topics concerning this game.

Great, so the three of you can work together and cross reference those names against the TR timed exclusivity thread. I'd love to see these duplicitous rogues exposed for the hypocrites they are! Altered Juice - you go getter, you! - is already up and running, so this shouldn't take long at all!

See you in 24 hours.

Been waiting for this. Too many damn "hypocrisy" posts from people who have no idea what hypocrisy means and won't provide proof.

Uh-Oh, here we go again...

*mission impossible theme plays*

Bish, I have PM'd you 8 different examples that I have found.

Please let me know if they are sufficient.

Top Bottom