• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 6 is releasing in 2023

KO7

After finishing Cyberpunk, I decided to sell my XSX before my career-change schooling started. Looks like SF6 will get me back into one of the current-gen systems, hot damn. Will be ordering a Hori fighting pad to coincide with it.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Someone in Twitter said it was because someone had it patented, but I don't know if that is true.
Someone other than Namco? Namco had that loading screen minigame patent which expired only a few years ago; SC2's VS screen taunt could be covered by the same patent.

Last edited:

Venza

Banned
I hope Cammy's character model looks like this in her classic costume or just as muscular as V.

__cammy_white_street_fighter_and_1_more_drawn_by_infi__7c8b01b5ba6ef8145872007e3e630697.jpg

yurinka

Someone other than Namco? Namco had that loading screen minigame patent which expired only a few years ago; SC2's VS screen taunt could be covered by the same patent.
The tweet from that random user mentioned that someone had a loading screen patent, but didn't mention who. In this case this isn't a minigame, so the Ridge Racer patent wouldn't affect here.

SSfox

so bassssiically, that thing Soul Calibur 2 did and which was after that absent from the series for no apparent reason
Same though, also always wondered why they took away after, always felt like it was a core thing in SC and felt weird to not have in other games.

Anyway looks great in SF6.

pramod

Banned
I dunno, this looks and feels and sounds like a slightly faster SFV to me which i hated.

Also sorry to be the old man yelling at clouds again but this game looks to have the same problem as many other modern fighters. It doesnt look like the type of game where u can just pick up and play. It seems to be made for hardcore fans. What happened to the good ole days of fighting games that are beginner friendly but also hard to master? Those games dont exist anymore except for maybe Smash Bros.

Last edited:
What happened to the good ole days of fighting games that are beginner friendly but also hard to master?
Those never existed in "the good ole days", nostalgia got you revising history; they were all tough as shit to play unless you were playing people equally terrible.
With more and more fighting games having some sort of auto-combo and easy inputs (which SF6 will also be having), I'd say fighting games are more beginner friendly than ever.

Nice.

Looking closer, they're subtle but actually kind of significant. She looks a bit younger with the adjustments; cheeks a little more full, same with her lips.

I'm actually pretty impressed with the swiftness in the changes there, it's only been maybe a couple of days xD.

I hope Cammy's character model looks like this in her classic costume or just as muscular as V.

__cammy_white_street_fighter_and_1_more_drawn_by_infi__7c8b01b5ba6ef8145872007e3e630697.jpg

Have you checked out the leaked footage for Cammy in her classic outfit? She's looking pretty muscular in this game and about as toned as in SFV.

I think the artstyle shift and it being more realistic just tones down some of the muscle definition though; they could make some adjustments to that later in development.

I dunno, this looks and feels and sounds like a slightly faster SFV to me which i hated.

Also sorry to be the old man yelling at clouds again but this game looks to have the same problem as many other modern fighters. It doesnt look like the type of game where u can just pick up and play. It seems to be made for hardcore fans. What happened to the good ole days of fighting games that are beginner friendly but also hard to master? Those games dont exist anymore except for maybe Smash Bros.

Not really understanding you here. By "pick-up-and-play" do you mean in terms of less game mechanics? Or overall complexity in dexterity? I think the late 2000s fighters were the peak in at least the latter, when you look at games like SFIV that required you to learn one-frame links for almost any character to really stand a chance, or learn plinking. Games like TTT 2 rolling in all the complexities of modern Tekken combined with being tag-based so there were tag-related mechanics you had to master, too, so on and so forth.

If anything modern fighters have been easing input windows for moves, making inputs for moves easier and easier, adding more and more comeback mechanics, etc. not to mention training modes with full frame data. SFIV may have more mechanics than 3S but have someone playing SF for the first time with 6 go immediately to 3S and they will be crying at the difficulty spike; 3S doesn't have anywhere near the input leniency of a modern fighter, and you have to be 100% mindful of spacing and damage scaling at all times when doing combos, including Supers, even when doing raw Supers else you only partially get the hit and are vulnerable to getting punished immediately or midway.

In something like SFV you can have the sloppiest setup for a Super but as long as the first hit lands, the rest of the Super is basically a canned Ultra cinematic guaranteed to do full damage minus any scaling.

ac576496e1955f8906abe72b0a7762364c230f77.jpg

550d0bc94921855b4efff8439a58f8122056aa30.jpg

STPeach is perfect for Cammy cosplay.

IMO she'd be perfect to play Cammy in a live-action adaptation but, Capcom will likely never do one of those again.

Last edited:

yurinka

I don't know what are you talking about. Street Fighter V single player content was super mega ultra easy. SF6 features a "easy mode" where you can perform special attacks with a single button.

But I agree that fighting games should be more intuitive or at least have better tutorials or tools to learn and improve, plus also need to be more careful in the matchmaking with the level of the players to make sure you're maked with people who really have your level.

Last edited:

Esca

I'm looking forward to this. I haven't played SF that much in awhile, think I'll download SF5 from the app now.
Happy to see they are already responding to feedback. The new Chun Li looks way better already than the reveal.
Hope it's early next year that it releases

begotten

You can kind of read how the game is going to play out based on the returning characters that have been leaked.

A lot of mix-up / rushdown characters. Only 2 zoners, 1 grappler?

yurinka

You can kind of read how the game is going to play out based on the returning characters that have been leaked.

A lot of mix-up / rushdown characters. Only 2 zoners, 1 grappler?
Over a third of the cast are newcomers so we don't know which type of characters are they going to be. But I assume:
  • Marisa: Sagat + Hugo/Abigail
  • Mimi / Manon: Abel
  • Lily: T Hawk + Sakura/Karin
  • JP: G + M.Bison (Dictator)
  • Kimberly: Guy + Sakura/Karin/Makoto + Sean
  • A.K.I.: Vega + Fang
I think it will be very important how the Drive system affects the gameplay. Specially how useful really are these new mechanics and how frequently can they be used, and the real risk and reward involved. Many of them seem new versions of known mechanics but they can be very different specially now that they are using and sharing this new bar. We'll need to see the downsides of running out of bar and how the stun works (if there is stun).

They also redesigned the gameplay of a lot many returning characters in SFV, so maybe they do the same in SF6 even if I think it won't be the case for the characters that already were in SFV.

We still konw very little about the game to know how it's going to be played.

Last edited:

nbkicker

Dont no how to link photo on here from my phone as it dont allow but someone might want to post streetfighter instagram story photo to here it got a preview tonight on twitch channel , rolling stone twich page 3pm pt so dont no what time that is gmt although i dont have twich so hopefully it ends up on youtube or somewhere

Last edited:

yurinka

They are on fire!
  • SoP gameplay reveal with 2 trailers and game website
  • Small extra additions in social media
  • Later today music video reveal at Rolling Stone magazine's Twitch
  • Tomorrow more gameplay and character reveal at Summer Doritos Fest
  • Friday a closed door event for gaming media and streamers where they'll play the game and interview the SFV+SF6 game direcctor and the SFV+SF6 producer
  • Capcom streaming event this Monday with pretty likely more SF6 stuff

I wonder if it's gonna be Kimberley
The SoP ended with a "New challenger" Kimberly teaser so yes, their next trailer is super likely going to be a Kimberly reveal trailer

Last edited:

SSfox

They are on fire!
  • SoP gameplay reveal with 2 trailers and game website
  • Small extra additions in social media
  • Later today music video reveal at Rolling Stone magazine's Twitch
  • Tomorrow more gameplay and character reveal at Summer Doritos Fest
  • Friday a closed door event for gaming media and streamers where they'll play the game and interview the SFV+SF6 game direcctor and the SFV+SF6 producer
  • Capcom streaming event this Monday with pretty likely more SF6 stuff

The SoP ended with a "New challenger" Kimberly teaser so yes, their next trailer is super likely going to be a Kimberly reveal trailer
Not the character i'm excited most about, but i'll take, and curious how she will differe compare to Ibuki and Guy.

data_jack

Art style is a big big big let down for me. They still have the cavemen hands/feet too.
I'm not sold on the art style yet either, but didn't I read somewhere that the character models have bigger proportions so they can translate well on screen and help telegraph motion?

Pejo

I'm not sold on the art style yet either, but didn't I read somewhere that the character models have bigger proportions so they can translate well on screen and help telegraph motion?
Yea that was their excuse for SF4 and SF5. Other fighting games have done it just fine though. It seems to be a stylistic choice. It's weird, now that I've seen more media and leaks and stuff, it doesn't seem that all characters have the oversized hands/feet, and it doesn't seem consistent between the ones that do. Like Chun's hands/fingers are L-O-N-G-B-O-I-S but when she makes a fist they're not that big. So IDK. I'll just keep an eye on it.

STpeach is amazing but Vera Dijkmans has a perfect ass for Cammy.
6mj2nwh803f81.jpg

srzfnqj803f81.jpg

k3fd17l803f81.jpg

That's a nice rump but I'm more partial to Peach's face and physique. Now if we could combine the two (and STPeach has a nice butt as-is tbh so 😂)...

I wonder if it's gonna be Kimberley

Most likely.

I'm slightly curious about the Rolling Stones music video thing but something tells me the music video is gonna be mega cringe. I'd be pleasantly surprised to be wrong though.

Especially if they do something that's a remix to one of my favorite 2I/3S tracks then I wouldn't even care if the lyrics were Will Smith levels of cheese.

begotten

Over a third of the cast are newcomers so we don't know which type of characters are they going to be. But I assume:
  • Marisa: Sagat + Hugo/Abigail
  • Mimi / Manon: Abel
  • Lily: T Hawk + Sakura/Karin
  • JP: G + M.Bison (Dictator)
  • Kimberly: Guy + Sakura/Karin/Makoto + Sean
  • A.K.I.: Vega + Fang
I think it will be very important how the Drive system affects the gameplay. Specially how useful really are these new mechanics and how frequently can they be used, and the real risk and reward involved. Many of them seem new versions of known mechanics but they can be very different specially now that they are using and sharing this new bar. We'll need to see the downsides of running out of bar and how the stun works (if there is stun).

They also redesigned the gameplay of a lot many returning characters in SFV, so maybe they do the same in SF6 even if I think it won't be the case for the characters that already were in SFV.

We still konw very little about the game to know how it's going to be played.

That's it for me honestly. Seeing characters from 5 like Rashid & Ed return, and then how they made existing characters before 5 more rush-down & mix-up based (eg Sim & Chun) makes me think that the game is going to be similar to 5 in terms of risk reward but in a more methodical way. The drive system and it's array of mechanics will be what extends the bridge that was put in place for new players on 5. Drive System feels like it will cater to and bring back the neutral game some more especially with no crush counter fishing.

Last edited:

nbkicker

After seeing the leaked charachters photo, out of the females looks like only juri and cammy ill be playing, dont like the look of any of the new females and the male ones apart from luke and jamie , heres hoping akira, karin, laura, lucia, menat, poison, r.mika, sakura all make it back eventually with season pass dlc etc

Flutta

Banned
So basically we’re going to get a barebones game at launch and then forcing us to buy every other character after just like they did with SFV?
Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

nbkicker

Well apart from to start with this time there 22 charachters, but you just no they kept some fav so people will buy season passes etc , ill be one of them cause out of the 22 start charachters there only 8 females and from them at min its only chung lee, cammy and juri id want to play, although for me they could have took out akuma and ed and gave two of sf5 females instead

Last edited:
So basically we’re going to get a barebones game at launch and then forcing us to buy every other character after just like they did with SFV?
Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF
Based on what, do you have a source/link from Capcom that confirms your comment?

As far as I know, Capcom haven't provided any details yet.

Flutta

Banned
Based on what, do you have a source/link from Capcom that confirms your comment?

As far as I know, Capcom haven't provided any details yet.
Do you even remember SFV launch? If not not then go look it up. Basically the game was rushed out the gate.

But my main issue is the GaaS stuff with DLC characters. The roster we got for paying 60$ was a joke. I think i have the right to be sceptical.

nbkicker

I think compared to sfv at launch sf6 gonna be a load better, i think all the modes will be in it from start this time, the only thing that will come extra in the years after will be new stages and new charachters via dlc, which every game under the sun does it nowadays, which u cant really blame capcom to much as to get the game out on time they cant make 40 odd charchters and have them all balanced for release date, the only time i get annoyed with dlc is when it comes out the same day as a game then u no they could have put it in the game

Last edited:
Do you even remember SFV launch?
What information do you exactly have regarding SF6's launch? SF5 launched in the state that it did because Sony partially funded it to get it out earlier.
But even then what's your definition of "barebones"? Not having all the superfluous modes from like a Mortal Kombat?
I play fighting games to fight, so I only really care about Training mode, Versus mode and Online lobbies. I'd say the only thing that was really missing was "arcade mode", so the game was never "barebones" to me.

But I digress because, again, what information do you have regarding SF6's launch?
The things we actually know are that it's not Sony funded, there's no exclusivity, there's concept art for 22 characters + 2 more in the trailer (damnd, li-fen), they've shown off a bunch of single player modes/hubs already, custom commentary options, and accessibility options like easy inputs; far more than launch SF5 already, so again, where are you getting this "barebones game" information from? You're like the only one here that got that vibe from what they've shown so far.

But my main issue is the GaaS stuff with DLC characters.
There's no other viable option for fighting games, sorry. If you want to go back to big paid updates that splinter the userbase you're insane.
By maintaining one product it guarantees the player pool is always at the maximum amount, because nobody is walled off from playing with people on different versions.
The only way to keep fighting games properly alive for years is to keep adding characters, doing via new versions during the arcade, cartridge, and early disc days was fine, because that was really only way to do it, but that way hasn't made sense for a long, long time.
And just for reference:
SF2 launched with 8 characters
SFA launched with 13
SFEX launched with 17
SF3 launched with 12
SF4 launched with 16 in the arcade, and then they added a few more and made bosses playable for a total of 25 on the home release a year later.
SF5 launched with 16

SF6 starting off with potentially 24 is already far better than any previous entry.

yurinka

That's it for me honestly. Seeing characters from 5 like Rashid & Ed return, and then how they made existing characters before 5 more rush-down & mix-up based (eg Sim & Chun) makes me think that the game is going to be similar to 5 in terms of risk reward but in a more methodical way. The drive system and it's array of mechanics will be what extends the bridge that was put in place for new players on 5. Drive System feels like it will cater to and bring back the neutral game some more especially with no crush counter fishing.
I think SF6 mechanics will focus more in risk and reward. Seems that these 5 mechanics (even EX moves) will be spending and sharing the same bar. And seems that you'll be on a big disadvantage when emptied, so managing resources will be more important.

Seems all these Drive mechanics apply only when in the ground and mostly while somewhat close to the other character: parry, alpha counter/v-reversal, dash cancel out of a normal or parry, focus attack. So I think we'll see more neutral and footsies specially if the bar fills slowly.

Zoners in theory get fucked by parries, but they'll have dash cancel out of specials so maybe can dash forward just after throwing a projectile which could benefit them to increase their possibilities and close the distance faster.

Again, we still have to see full matches and see how fast the bars are filled, and how everything exactly works: perfect parries seem to have only a 3 frames window so they are super difficult to land specially online even if you'll be able to keep the parry buttons pressed to make it longer (for newbies) but at the cost of spending more bar.

The Drive bar filling speed will affect a lot the matches. A fast one would mean players may be using the new mechanics a lot, while a very slow filling would mean to heavily reduce its usage and being more careful on managing resources. While the Super Arts bar depending how fast is filled -specially when being hurt- and the Super Arts damage has a lot of potential to be the main comeback mechanic.

Many of these mechanics (paries, focus, alpha counter/v-reversal) are defensive so they will help manage rush down characters and big pressure. But again, we still have to see how they exactly work, how frequently can we use them and how effective they really are. Small changes may make a big difference.

I think it's still too early.

Last edited:
Do you guys think it’s a good thing SF6 is seemingly less horny than SF5? Cammy even had visible nipples at one point.

fs1wvso9t7491.jpg

Don't worry bud, get the game on PC and the modders will have all that covered ;)

Tho I'll take a moment and say, for as many people who shit on SFV's artstyle, I actually very much liked it. Yeah some of the hands and feet were almost comically swollen, but I can tell they were going with something drawing a lot from the SF3 games visually and SFV seemed about as good as you could get of that with the hardware at the time and in 3D. I do very much like SFVI's style and if the speedy recent improvements on Chun-Li are any indication then I think by the time the game releases it will have a very polished visual style.

However, I do still hope they make the characters a tad bulkier, or add some more muscle definition along the arms, legs, and abs. I think they can do that while still keeping the general aesthetic they're settling on for this new game.

Oh, as for the music video....😕. I know they are going for much more urban/hip-hop style vibe but I was hoping it would be more J.Dilla/Nujabes/Tribe Called Quest/Souls of Mischief kind of jazzy hiphop, or something like the 3S hiphop but slightly more modern (like avoiding certain instruments or sounds that immediately "date" it).

Basically something more like that, less like Step Up: Revolution. I at least hope they have more Jungle, DnB (would be cool if it were some Liquid or Neurofunk), Latin House, UK Garage, and Deep House in there alongside some actual Jazz Hip Hop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom