• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior Turns 20 This Month

Apologies if this thread has already been made. I tried to search and didn't find anything.

Street Fighter II came out in arcades in March 1991, 20 years ago this month. It's one of those games that just about everybody has played. It gave arcades and the SNES a shot in the arm and spawned god knows how many spin offs. What are your memories of Street Fighter II and it's many spinoffs?

IMO, Hyper Fighting and Super Turbo remain the best games in the franchise with the edge going a little towards Super Turbo.

Zee-Row

Banned
Was there ever a story to why Chun-Li's outfit in her portrait in the original World Warrior Arcade games yellow instead of blue? Was that the color they were going for originally but changed it in the last minute?

vocab

_dementia said:
Handcuff glitch is still hilarious today.

Wrong game bro

Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
IMO, Street Fighter II Turbo and Super Turbo remain the best games in the franchise with the edge going a little towards Super Turbo.

Sorry man, but SF2T is fucking terrible. It's too slow after playing Hyper Fighting, and it's very hard to go back to a slower game. It goes ST> HF > CE > WW > SFT2 > AE. The most balanced game is hyper fighting though.

I would gladly play ST on GGPO against anyone, even though I get frameskips due to outdated fba.

Nekofrog

Banned
SF2 and its iterations have taken more time from my life than any other game, period.

Still play HDR regularly.

The first fighting I ever played. I remember first playing it with some other kid at a Target on SNES demo unit they had set up.

iidesuyo

First SF2 I've ever played:

street_fighter2_champ_box_eu.jpg

Back then I didn't see any difference between that and the SNES version. But playing it again today... wow, the sound is really bad.

vocab said:
Wrong game bro

Sorry man, but SF2T is fucking terrible. It's too slow after playing Hyper Fighting, and it's very hard to go back to a slower game. It goes ST> HF > CE > WW > SFT2 > AE. The most balanced game is hyper fighting though.

I would gladly play ST on GGPO against anyone, even though I get frameskips due to outdated fba.

I use Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Hyper Fighting interchangeably. I thought they were the same game. Wasn't it Street Fighter II Dash Turbo in Japan? Are you referring to the SNES version?

I still play ST every now and then on GGPO (although not as much as I used to). I'm MayorMikeHaggar on there

entremet

I remember the first time I played it. I picked Dhalsim and then Blanka. I completely ignored Ken and Ryu in the beginning. The rest of the cast seemed more colorful and original.

vocab

Why do they call it handcuff glitch when there's no handcuffs? I knew about that glitch for a long time, and I never seen it called the hand cuff glitch. SF The movie is the true handcuff glitch. My bad.

Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
I use Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Hyper Fighting interchangeably. I thought they were the same game. Wasn't it Street Fighter II Dash Turbo in Japan? Are you referring to the SNES version?

They are different games. But yes, dash turbo is hyper fighting

Enk

makes good threads.
Happy 20th Anniversary "Birth of the Modern Fighting Genre"!

iidesuyo said:
First SF2 I've ever played:

street_fighter2_champ_box_eu.jpg

Back then I didn't see any difference between that and the SNES version. But playing it again today... wow, the sound is really bad.

I never noticed until now how fucked up Ryu's eyes were on the this cover.

I remember being afraid for my life after beating some people in the arcade. Certain people just don't take losing very well at all.

edit: oh yeah, but my biggest SF2 memory is when SF2 came out for the SNES. Of course, it had to come out while my family and I were vacationing at a cottage on Lake Michigan. Fortunately, I was able to convince my mom to drive me back into town the day it came out, so I could get it day one. Needless to say, I spent that entire summer vacation inside the cottage playing SF2 while everyone else was outside enjoying the beach, sun, and water.

I remember when this game showed up at the local arcade at the mall. My brother and I were really into the beat 'em ups and stuff and we were playing a game called Street Smart. The SF2 machine was surrounded by a group of teenagers and they put their quarters by the screen to get their turn. I had never seen anything like that. We watched but, didn't play. I think we were probably too scared by the tall teenagers. After the teenagers left we played a little bit. The first time I played, I used E. Honda. I think I picked him by mistake. I had no idea what I was doing but I remember I won the first fight against the CPU and then lost. I was floored by the huge characters with so many animations. We had been playing other games with big sprites like Final Fight but, this was on another level. And the game just felt so good. Other games felt floaty but SF2 had weight to the characters and that just made every move feel that much more brutal. It was great. After that we started hearing more about SFII in EGM and it became an obsession. We had our parents take us to the arcade every week and we pretty much only played SF2. I remember we used to study the move sheets in EGM and draw SF characters too. lol

strideramc

I have played ungodly amounts of SF2 and its iterations in my time. Used to walk to the pizza place after school and play almost every day.

Satyamdas

Banned
vocab said:
Why do they call it handcuff glitch when there's no handcuffs? I knew about that glitch for a long time, and I never seen it called the hand cuff glitch. SF The movie is the true handcuff glitch. My bad.
Maybe because the glitch causes the opposing player to be stuck to Guile as if they were bound by handcuffs?

TreIII

My path was set the very first time I played the SNES port of this game over a friend's house back in 1992, as part of their birthday party. I've been addicted to Fighting Games ever since. :lol

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
vocab said:

you seriously never heard it referred to as the handcuff glitch? i knew of it as the handcuff glitch back in 91. do you live in the us?

I remember when I first played this on the SNES at my friends house, I picked Blanka because he looked cool and my friend said that Blanka sucked. I kept spamming the shock move on him and then he punched me in the arm and said I wasn't allowed to play his SNES unless I told him how to do the move. I miss first grade:/

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I remember Street Fighter II just exploding in early EGM... kind of the Grand Theft Auto, Halo or Call of Duty of its day.

vocab

Parallax said:
you seriously never heard it referred to as the handcuff glitch? i knew of it as the handcuff glitch back in 91. do you live in the us?

Yup. Never heard it called the handcuff glitch.

Boy, this makes me feel old.

I used an old, beat-up Sega Genesis arcade stick to practice the joystick motions at home. SFII is a special game and takes up a lot of real estate in my heart.

Lineups at every pizzeria, convenience store, video store and of course arcade. I dont think the newer generation of gamers know how big this game was back then.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
vocab said:
Yup. Never heard it called the handcuff glitch.

That's almost an accomplishment. The handcuffs in SF:TM are a reference to the original handcuff glitch in TWW. Were you not involved much in the arcade scene in '91? Guile's handcuffs were the most commonly discussed glitch/rumor after "Chun Li can throw her bracelets."

Satyamdas

Banned
vocab said:
No Koryu was better.
Except it wasn't. Rainbow shits on Koryu from a great height.

God's Beard said:
Sonic Hang Glider > Rainbow
Sonic Hang Glider is indeed awesome, but it isn't enough to make up for the rest of Koryu's shittiness.

Horizontal srk >>>> srk shooting out 9 fireballs

vocab

MattKeil said:
Were you not involved much in the arcade scene in '91?

I was 4 years old. I was playing nes games for the most part, and I never played fighters at the arcade.

Satyamdas said:
Except it wasn't. Rainbow shits on Koryu from a great height.

Sonic Hang Glider is indeed awesome, but it isn't enough to make up for the rest of Koryu's shittiness.

Horizontal srk >>>> srk shooting out 9 fireballs
What about hitstun god cancels?

Medalion

Banned
Street Fighter 2, so good they cloned it gillions of times and even slapped on different numbers but it's still the same in the end

Top Bottom