• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior Turns 20 This Month

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Medalion said:
Street Fighter 2, so good they cloned it gillions of times and even slapped on different numbers but it's still the same in the end
In a sense, even games like Tekken, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter, King of Fighters, etc are Street Fighter II clones.

Kadey said:
OMG, yur Asian! Yer good becuz your family made the game!
Eh, I take that as a compliment. Everyone just knows how skilled we are and they can't fathom how apparently tight we are as a race. Gotta represent!

I ditched so much to play this during my senior year of high school and during those first few years of college. Awesome times and so much bullshit and misinformation about the game in those pre-modern internet days. Great, great game whose formula I've unfortunately burnt out on after so much play. I'm sad that SFII and VF/Tekken have become so ingrained as basically the only way fighting games work since, like so many other genres where everything starts to blur together. I seriously want fighting game design to start over again from just the base concept.

ntropy

my first sf2 experience: pick blanka and mash!

i used to walk across the train tracks to the laundromat to play sf2:ce. bison 2ez

NZNova

Man, I remember playing the hell out of SF2 in the arcades when I was in school. People used to sell little home made strategy guides for it for a couple bucks, heh.

phage said:
This never stops being funny to me:

familyman-article_image.jpg

Guile looked like such a dweeb in the first SF2

N4Us

revolverjgw said:
Guile looked like such a dweeb in the first SF2

1DoMt.gif

I used to know this guy who whooped my ass constantly in CE with Guile, so I associate this picture with happiness.

Satyamdas

Banned
God's Beard said:
What about hitstun god cancels?
Also good but still not enough to trump the awesomeness of dat Rainbow Edition.

Hyper Fighting was Capcom's response to Rainbow Edition, and Rainbow was so much better that in a lot of areas Hyper Fighting was left alone and people went back to Rainbow. Chun got a fireball in Rainbow and Capcom gave her one in Hyper Fighting, same with air Tatsus. Coincidence? Now Koryu is just Rainbow taken to an insane and unplayable degree. Whereas Rainbow was still playable despite the tweaks, Koryu is just nonsense on top of nonsense and is objectively inferior.

As for SF2:WW, those were fucking awesome days indeed. SF1 was a fun game for its time but due to having only 1 playable character it was always just a distraction type game, nothing anyone took serious.

But when SF2 came out, that shit was an injection of hype into the arcade scene unlike anything seen before or since then. Instantly you had players getting crazy competitive with each other and investing serious (and I mean SERIOUS) time and money into learning the ins and outs of every character. Fights breaking out because kids couldn't figure out how to deal with tick throws. Rows of SF2 machines with rows of quarters lined up on each one. Mad shit talking. Rumors of Guile shooting a gun, or Chun-Li throwing her bracelets or picking up and throwing the rock on her stage. Sheng Long. Guile's freeze, handcuffs, invisible throw, reset glitch, etc. Every day there was some new shit going on with that game, and people were learning new strats and developing their own styles all the time. I'll never forget that 4-5 year period when it wasn't a question of if you played SF2, it was how much you played.

Game Guru

snack said:
[/QUOTE]

Is it sad that I laughed at this?

[QUOTE=Zee-Row]Was there ever a story to why Chun-Li's outfit in her portrait in the original World Warrior Arcade games yellow instead of blue? Was that the color they were going for originally but changed it in the last minute?[/QUOTE]

From what I have heard, that is indeed the case.

this was the game that got me completely hooked into gaming. Had a NES and Mario and Zelda ect, but when Street Fighter 2 hit the SNES we would have 8 hour non stop sessions, overheated a cousins brand new SNES 2 days out of the box. I will always have a soft spot for this game.

Cipherr

A genre changer. Very rarely does a game come along that has such a significant impact on gaming and its genre. An amazing game, Ill never forget playing it for the first time. Was in a godfathers pizza here in KCMO. This was about a year after its arcade debut but I played and loved it. Great stuff.

The time I put into the snes version was criminal. CRIMINAL.

m3k

so glad i wasted all my money on street fighter from about the age of 11

invisible throw was bestest

Tr4nce

Amazingly amazing. So long ago. I remember playing it for the first time, and being in awe at the graphics.

:O

Trojan X

Banned
Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
I always liked the Genesis version more. Maybe it was the controller but I always felt like it played better.

No it isn't you. The Genesis/Megadrive version was definitely the better version to own as it was closer to the arcade.

_dementia said:
Funny enough, the Genny version sounds closer to the arcade music than the arranged SNES soundtrac

Most definitely. Baring sound-fx the Megadrive/Genesis version was much closer to the arcade version by a long shot.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I still remember the first time I played it, in August of 1991. I was at Skateland (LOL) and my friend Scott was like "you have to play this". The first character I ever picked was Dhalsim, per his recommendation. I kept smashing the fierce punch button and won. I remember the first time I beat it too (with Chun Li) at that same Skateland.

Street Fighter II is an amazing game. Quite honestly I don't think I'd be the same person I am today if the game had never been released...having met / made so many friends as a direct result of playing it (some of whom I am still friends with to this day).

This game taught me so much about arcade etiquette; place your quarter on the cabinet, get in line and wait your turn.

This game was huge. Big lines at arcades, tons of magazine covers and nonstop pre-internet rumors. Handcuffs, bracelets and the ever mysterious red fireball.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
amazing game, my old man bought it for me for xmas because he "saw me playing it so much at pizza hut" and he wanted me to play it at home

love street fighter, love my old man

I remember people always getting upset if you threw them in the arcades. Always made people call a player "cheap" when they did it.

FunnyBunny said:
This game taught me so much about arcade etiquette; place your quarter on the cabinet, get in line and wait your turn.

This game was huge. Big lines at arcades, tons of magazine covers and nonstop pre-internet rumors. Handcuffs, bracelets and the ever mysterious red fireball.

Pre-Internet, AS YOU KNOW IT!

alt.games.sf2 represent, bitch!

Respect.

FunnyBunny said:

lol ahhhhh my childhood growing up in the arcades of new york. I remember the first time I saw an hadoken......I went home and actually tried to make one. It never worked ;___;

Megadragon15 said:
Back in 1991, when SF2WW first came out, everyone was a scrub.
The mentality that one should not use all the weapons in a characters arsenal is scrubbish. I'm not talking about the level of play or anything like that.

Gravijah

_dementia said:
The mentality that one should not use all the weapons in a characters arsenal is scrubbish. I'm not talking about the level of play or anything like that.

until you bring back your old avatar you are the scrub

Azure J

Funny thing is, as much as I blame SFII and all its iterations for being one of the primary reasons why I loved fighting games as a casual observer, it wasn't until this year that I started playing it. Shit is fun as all hell, but fucking dragon punch motions will never feel as natural to me as hadoken motions. :lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, I still have my Street Fighter II SNES version along with the SNES itself.

20 years, damn - and I got as a kid on release too.

Raxel

I remember playing it in my local newsagent. I also remember the black belt edition popping up in my local fish 'n chips shop some time later and being absolutely floored by what I was witnessing :O

LOVE this game, and the series as a whole. Earliest memory I have of playing was when my family went to 7-11, and I saw the cab inside (remember when they used to do that?). I got whooped by CPU Honda using Chun-Li, and my dad cheered me up by saying "she's got big knockers" right in front of my mom. Good times.

When Turbo came out for SNES, I was threatened with bodily harm because I kept SRKing my cousin's jumping roundhouses. Ah, to be young again...

This is the most important game for me. I remember the first time I saw it in a comercial center, I stood there for a good 2 hours and after that day I would keep going back to it. Then, when I saw that it was coming out for Super Nintendo and not Mega Drive (old Sega fan here) I felt soooooo horrible about it. But then came Champions Edition and bought the 6 button pad and the arcade stick. Best game ever.
Only regret for me is that I never mastered any other fighters outside of Ryu and Ken. I don't know, making hadokens, shoryukens and hurricane kicks was easy and fast, the rest of characters seemed too slow for me.

Ferrio said:
I was playing SF I at the local 7-11 before it was cool!

+1
I was in love with this game before it got popular.

A pizza place about a mile from our house got it in early '91. The very first time I played I was hooked, in a trance. I think I played as Blanca. I'd stop by on my way home from school to spend my leftover lunch money.

During that summer, we'd hike down there every day to play, even if it was only with 3-4 quarters. We'd walk 2 miles round trip to play a videogame for 10-15 minutes.

The next summer when it was released on SNES, I was so excited when my friend showed me the opened shipping box with 6 sealed copies had arrived in the backroom of the grocery/general store we worked in. I couldn't wait for my shift to end. I took one home that night, before it was officially put out in the store's electronics dept glass display case. It was the most expensive game cartridge I'd seen up to that point, more than Zelda even which was like $60, IIRC $75 or $80 a crazy amount of money for a game in those days. Good times.

By the time it was out on home consoles, I actually got bored of it fairly quickly, within 6 months, and started getting into computer games again. I was amazed SF2 and all its iterations were still so popular for many years later. I remember visiting an arcade in like 96-97, the first time in many years, and there were still tons of SF machines.

Ferrio

Banned
Death Dealer said:
+1
I was in love with this game before it got popular.

A pizza place about a mile from our house got it in early '91. The very first time I played I was hooked, in a trance. I think I played as Blanca. I'd stop by on my way home from school to spend my leftover lunch money.

Poser! Blanka wasn't in SFI

Ferrio said:
Poser! Blanka wasn't in SFI

I never even heard of SF until SF2.
er: misread your quote, didn't catch you said SF1. But that should have been obvious when I said '91. I remember because I was already in HS. And yeah I stand by my comment, because it didn't take off, EGM coverage etc, until several months after I'd already been playing it. No need to call names.

I remember waiting for a bus with my mom for a good 20 minutes, and I went inside a bar to see what people were playing at the arcade. I saw M. Bison against Zangief, 2 guys fighting each other, and this was actually the World Warrior but was hacked ( :lol, welcome to Brazil!). Zangief had a Yoga Flame on his foot when you did the rotation attack.

I just couldn't believe how good the game looked. I just couldn't believe how badass all the characters looked like. I needed to play it so badly, but I didn't have a quarter =(((

I eventually got a Super NES with Street Fighter II and man, I remember having the entire street in my house all night long playing the game. It was great times.

G-Fex

I liked it when I was little, tried to play it a while ago when I guess the xbla one came out and I couldn't play it. The end.

Pookmunki

Always the highlight of Sunday swimming bath trips, picked Blanka first as he seemed cool, obsessed over the game until the c64 versionhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0YVz9MaHGM (shit) came out. Championship edition blew my tiny mind, like others, SF2 will always have a warm place in my memory, only challenged driunken all night by 3rd strike sessions as a student...

Top Bottom