• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior Turns 20 This Month

G-Fex said:
I liked it when I was little, tried to play it a while ago when I guess the xbla one came out and I couldn't play it. The end.
I'm pretty sure you were playing with a stock 360 controller as well. The game is completely unplayable with that thing, so it wasn't yours or the game's fault.

Ferrio

Banned
My first character was Dhalsim.... my first impression of the game wasn't that great due to it. I remember my friend trying to teach me to do hadoken's and shoryukens... I was utter fail.

hiryu2015

First time I played sf2 was in a Safeway. I picked Guile and my brother picked E. Honda. I think he beat me with a hundred hand slap, which I attribute to mashing to this day.

Now I play it at least once a week on the iphone.

Amazing part of my childhood. The hours spent on it, so wonderful. The age of arcades, man, wish I could experience that fun again.

lol memory: a friend at primary school saying Blanka was "Sucking the sperm out of her boobs" when he would do his bite thing on Chun-Li....... I don't think any of us (including him) understood any of what he was saying but we knew it was 'something rude' therefore hilarious.

:lol

My earliest memory of Street Fighter II was at a miniature golf course in 1991. I clearly remember choosing Chun-Li as my first character. What was it about miniature golf courses having the most amazing arcades years ago? Was it just a California thing?

minor effort said:
My earliest memory of Street Fighter II was at a miniature golf course in 1991. I clearly remember choosing Chun-Li as my first character. What was it about miniature golf courses having the most amazing arcades years ago? Was it just a California thing?
I recall my local mini-golf/go-kart place had a nice arcade selection too.

MisterHero

After years of wanting one since the original release, I got Super Street Fighter for SNES VC a couple of years ago. Not that playing now would help me avenge the time I lost to a girl who was playing with her feet*.

*To my credit though, the cheater was using Akuma. >:p

It wasn't until Marvel Superheroes that I would be wailing on Marines

Brera

Banned
I was 10. :)

My best friend told me about the new sequel to final fight where the new cody character could now do uppercuts all the time by pressing down and punch....there were 6 buttons.

My mind was blown.

I'm 30 and half dead :(

G-Fex

Dark Octave said:
I'm pretty sure you were playing with a stock 360 controller as well. The game is completely unplayable with that thing, so it wasn't yours or the game's fault.

No, I played it with the so called fight pad. The end.

What do you want? I suck at fighting games ok?

SykoTech

Street Fighter was a game I was LttP with. Back in the arcade days, I was too obsessed with beat 'em ups to care about one one one fighting games. Thankfully, I gave it a shot in time, and SFII was the first one to really click with me.

I was planning to rip myself away from Mahvel long enough to go back to SSFIV sometime this week. Now I can use this as an excuse to actually follow through with that.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Was one of those games that as soon as you saw it you knew you were seeing something special. So groundbreaking. Every playground was suddenly filled with boys yelling "HADOKEN!". I instantly gravitated toward Chun and hated Ryu/Ken...not much has changed in that regard, lol.

Really wish the internet had been around when I was a kid. Maybe if I had been exposed to the fighting scene and learned that there was more to SF than special moves and beating Bison I wouldn't be a scrub today and so far behind everyone I fight in IV now. >_<

SFII: WW - the dawn of NeoGaf thunder thighs love affair with Chun Li.

Although I had met him in first in SFI, WW was when Ken Masters became my bitch. SFII: Turbo was when he became a god as his shoryuken could swat any mofo out of the air.

SFII WW made me a fighting game snob. I could like others; but, my heart and soul will always be a World Warrior.

One of my fondest SF memories was finally finding a SFIII cabinet for the first time. We made a visit to Cedar Point and I walked into the arcade and placed a set of tokens into the machine telling my wife I'd only play one game as we were there to ride instead of play games. I selected Ken and proceeded to knock every person that challenged me off the machine for the next hour and a half - all on my first game ever on SFIII. For some reason, I picked up the counters very quickly. It was just so intuitive as my reflexes were already use to pressing forward to go back on offense after an attack.

I miss arcades. <looks over at his MAME machine, original Defender, Asteroids, Out Run, pinball machines, and skeeball alley>

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I remember my first encounter with this beautiful mofo. I brought my Super Nintendo to my dad's store to play in the apartment above. Now there was this guy who worked in the store and told me he had an amazing fighting game in his bag upstairs, turns out it was SFII Turbo, so I got the best version right away :) He told me I could keep the game and I still cherish that thing to this day.

G-Fex said:
No, I played it with the so called fight pad. The end.

What do you want? I suck at fighting games ok?
..."The end", indeed...

My condolences.

A lot of "ifs", but if you ever care to learn and get Super Street Fighter IV on 360, I'll play with you.

Can we all agree that this is the best stage ever?

sf2j.png

I used to play as characters I didn't want to play as in 2 player mode just to get to it

skyfinch

I was a diehard sega fan, but bought a SNES just for sf2, then found out a week later that SF2 will be coming out to the Genesis. Sold my SNES a few days later.

Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:

sf2j.png

I used to play as characters I didn't want to play as in 2 player mode just to get to it
The music, the man who kept punching in the background, and the neon Capcom sign in one of the corners. All of it is just glorious.

My introduction to fighting games, unless you count Yie Ar Kung-Fu.

I still remember playing as Chun-Li (in her red/pink outfit) for the very first time and beating up Ken. It was magical.

Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:

sf2j.png

I love when fighting games have huge crowds spectating and going nuts over what you're doing. Those are always the best levels.

One of my first 3 SNES games (others being SMW and Turtles in Time). My mind was blown when I found out about the code that allowed you choose the same character as your opponent.

Megadragon15 said:
I remember people always getting upset if you threw them in the arcades. Always made people call a player "cheap" when they did it.

I was one of them peeps that got upset at throws...LOL

I remember playing for hours and hours at the arcade. Handcuffs, We called Guiles invisible throw the Touch of Death. I hope others knew bout that too. RYU's standing Fierce then uppercut that drain half meter. I missed those days...I feel old now...LOL

When CE came out in the arcades........:)

sf2fanatic said:
I was one of them peeps that got upset at throws...LOL

I remember playing for hours and hours at the arcade. Handcuffs, We called Guiles invisible throw the Touch of Death. I hope others knew bout that too. RYU's standing Fierce then uppercut that drain half meter. I missed those days...I feel old now...LOL

When CE came out in the arcades........:)
Dude, throws were devastating back then.

I would be the guy apologizing for doing it by accident, but secretly glad I did.

When I was down to my last few quarters though, all bets were off. I remember getting into a fight at the arcade over Street Fighter II. A couple actually. Both times started as light elbows and then it's on.

Good old days...

Dark Octave said:
Dude, throws were devastating back then.

I would be the guy apologizing for doing it by accident, but secretly glad I did.

When I was down to my last few quarters though, all bets were off. I remember getting into a fight at the arcade over Street Fighter II. A couple actually. Both times started as light elbows and then it's on.

Good old days...

Same here. One got frustrated because i kept whooping butt with Zangief. He even tried using Chun Li for quickness...He stilled kept losing. I had a buddy just dominate with Blanka by only using 4 hit moves. Funny SF stories back in the days.

GenericUser

i remember having bleeding thumbs from too many hadokens and shoryukens. the mega drive pad is quite edgy.

good times!

And now that i think of it, i've never played SSF4....

Top Bottom