• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter IV: 1up/EGM Info (3d graphics, 2d game)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
DarKaoZ said:
You can also find it on for the PS3, on the Japanese PStore, is for download. With KOF 94, 95, 96, 97 and 98. I don't remember if 99 is also available or not.

Same, have to love PC and PSP.

Dammit, I need that PSP for Xmas!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
DarKaoZ said:
More respect on KOF, KOF has an excellent story and character backgrounds.

Is weird, because I play KOF due to it's story, something hard for a fighting game to do. Since they don't repeat the same story over and over like other games have done.

KOF's story is all over the place and general nonsense, usually relating to "I USED THE TOURNAMENT TO GET YOUR FIGHTING ENERGY FOR THE ULTIMATE POWER NYAH HAHA." I've been a huge, HUGE KOF fan for over a decade, and it's not the story that ever drew me in. I love SNK's character designs, and I love how they update their characters' looks, unlike Capcom.

DarKaoZ

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
KOF's story is all over the place and general nonsense, usually relating to "I USED THE TOURNAMENT TO GET YOUR FIGHTING ENERGY FOR THE ULTIMATE POWER NYAH HAHA." I've been a huge, HUGE KOF fan for over a decade, and it's not the story that ever drew me in. I love SNK's character designs, and I love how they update their characters' looks, unlike Capcom.

The thing is that the story inside the KOF Games is not that detailed. If you go to their official sites and everything else like KOF Kyo, you will learn a lot of nice details that happen before each tournament. And the "Energy thing" was only used on Nest Saga really, on KOF 2000, besides that the reasons for the first saga and this new one is for resurrecting Orochi and gain his power, and for that they need to get rib of the 3 seals which Kyo, Iori and Kagura has. And now Ash is the Hero of the new saga, yet he has been doing evil things so he is more like an Anti-hero a first for the series and it was a great twist on 2003.

DaveH

karasu said:
You're wrong. The comics are not 'fan fiction'.
They totally are. If you're a fan of silver age, then you manipulate continuity to fit. If you're a fan of the movies, then you manipulate continuity to fit. If you want Supes to be a vegan, same thing. The fact that there's Smallville, Lois & Clark, S:TAS, etc. renditions are all just riffs- fanfics- of the same icon; the comics hold no more significant persuasive weight over the icon except when they invoke it and to think otherwise is fooling yourself.

Beyond all of this, I think you're seriously overstating the iconography of Street Fighter characters here. Ryu is iconic. He's become a fucking standard. His relationship with Ken may be up there. Blanka, Zangief, and Bison? Dhalsim's stage theme? God no.
I think I could find more random people in say their early 30s who recognize those characters than know Superman is married to Lois... much less that they have a foster son.

DaveH

Kintaro said:
Actually, they still make Metal Slug and SamSho games...so, no. It's not just KOF. The Fatal Fury series left at a cliffhanger that they can revisit any time they wish to do back and rock the Garou style as well.
Missing the point. I said KOF is their best franchise, which is why they never stopped. That they have other franchises is irrelevant they have none stronger, while Capcom built up things like Resident Evil, DMC, etc.

I'm sure DMC is stronger than KOF. So? That doesn't make some SNK characters any less "iconic" than they are.
It does by my definition which is the non-target audience. Outside of those who will know any repeat franchise regardless, things like RE have greater impact and awareness than SNK. If you're merely talking about people who game recognizing a character, then that definition of icon is "cheap" because anyone who gets a free subscription to EGM or whatnot is able to recognize a litany of characters.

If you go by any sort of timeline, it's only 3 years between Alpha 3 and SF2. 5 years between SF2 and SF3. Sakura was 15 in SFA3, would be 17 during SF2, and only 22 during SF3. I don't think should would lose ANY of her charm around the age of SF2 or a little after. Hell, she could STILL be in high school!

Like I said, her style could have changed during the time between games and she becomes a unique fighter and not just a shoto clone. Besides, it's not like being a Shoto is a bad thing. They're the only fighters sans Chun Li to have any real popularity in this series are Shotos!
I can understand the wish, but not the serious desire to see a character that is "Sakura in name only" for the sake of having a character that is the same IN NAME ONLY. Ah well, it's only because developers and directors with discernment don't give into these impulses that we get things that aren't "videogame fanfiction" (which can be fun, like the Versus series... but not good for the main series which should be refining the core).

Yeah, because Capcom hasn't already whored out their Shoto clones since SF2... :lol
Well not compared to other franchises, they've been reasonably conservative.

What the heck happened? I left for work, came home, and found this thread devolved into a thread about how iconic SNK characters are?

Strange.

Anywho, I'm still pumped for SF4.

DaveH

brendanrfoley said:
What the heck happened? I left for work, came home, and found this thread devolved into a thread about how iconic SNK characters are?

Strange.

Anywho, I'm still pumped for SF4.
It goes directly to whether we'll see more SF4 games (that aren't purely Turbo/CE/etc. variations). WB was looking to Returns to make it "The Year of Superman" and not simply produce box office returns but increase the value of the IP across the board. Capcom is in a similar position. They arguably care less about the game's sales itself compared to what it does to the franchise in the year of a movie release, anniversary, and with countless licensing opportunities (beyond, say, Ken/Chun in an obscure Korean MMO). To do that, you play up the icon which solidifies your IP and makes it more valuable. If you make multiple versions of Sakura or release a dozen shoto-clones, you dilute that value. Capcom's done a pretty decent job thus far, even if they rely on proclivity towards stereotypes.

Eiji

sfnovo1.jpg

Looks like Ken is ready for some meat...

Fatghost said:
And look how tight Ryu's pants are! It's like he and Taki shop at the same store or something.

Haha, seriously. Like I say way back in this thread. Loosen up on Ryu's pants Capcom, first the bulge and tight wrap around his legs and now it's all up in his ass!

Just what the hell happened to Ryu karate gi pants after SF2?!

Aside from the, literal, gayness going on in here, the new updates... mmm.

: /

I can't say I was a fan of SF2. SF3 just played much better for me. Perhaps I have the nostalgia glasses on, since I grew up with SF3.

Oh well, instead of being a "sure purchase" now it's a wait-and-see deal. I was hoping that it'd be a progression of the series; even if it scrapped some of 3, that it'd incorporate a bit from previous iterations and some new things, too.

Instead, it's leaning heavily, heavily on the legacy of SF2, which is understandable, looking at the decline from SF2 to SF3 in terms of sales and impact.

Oh well. At least it's looking good.

And cheers at the "I don't want exclusivity" quote.

G-Fex

DarKaoZ said:
More respect on KOF, KOF has an excellent story and character backgrounds.

Is weird, because I play KOF due to it's story, something hard for a fighting game to do. Since they don't repeat the same story over and over like other games have done.

Yes that's what I enjoyed about KOF too as well as 98 one of the best KOF's around. And because the stages actually resemble the fact that theres a tournament going on as Street Fighters doesn't really , just two guys fighting out in public.

ShinAmano

I recently found dumps of all the animation frames in 3rd Strike...all i can say is WOW. Some of the characters have 2000+ individual frames...

Anyone know a good way to create animated gifs? I would love to put some of these together :D

IV had better out do these... because currently they are beautiful.

DarKaoZ

Banned
ShinAmano said:
I recently found dumps of all the animation frames in 3rd Strike...all i can say is WOW. Some of the characters have 2000+ individual frames...

Anyone know a good way to create animated gifs? I would love to put some of these together :D

Mind sharing those dumps of all the animations frames?

Dali

ShinAmano said:

Why don't you just go here: http://www.newwavemugen.com/~zweifuss/

Has the majority of the sprites ripped and animated. It's where everyone else who's been posting SF3 gifs in this thread likely got them from.

JRPereira

sf4_ken_ass.jpg

(avatar-sized) - feel free to use

Also I'm reinstating the wolverine one, as the image has now been posted and nobody seems to be worried about it.

wohlverine_sf4_groinpunch.jpg

(even though as I check the previous posts, someone already got around to it, this was the original)

DarKaoZ

Banned
ShinAmano said:
Sure...I got them here:
http://www.newwavemugen.com/~zweifuss/sprites.htm

They are all zipped up by individual character...all work goes to the guy who did this...

If anyone cares to give me some hints on how to make animated gifs I could make some avatars by request :D

Lol...guess I did not explore the site that well ;)

Badass, thanks. If you want a program for animation try Paint Shop Pro, it comes with Animation Shop Pro which you can use for gifs.

JRPereira said:
sf4_ken_ass.jpg

(avatar-sized)

Also I'm reinstating the wolverine one, as the image has now been posted and nobody seems to be worried about it.

wohlverine_sf4_groinpunch.jpg

(even though as I check the previous posts, someone already got around to it, this was the original)

LMAO!! I was wondering when someone was going to do a pic like the one of that Avatar size.

Wolverine face still look better than Ken.

Anyone want to hazard a guess at the general number and spread of characters?

I think we'll see:

6-7 Street Fighter II series Characters
2-3 Street Fighter Alpha series Characters
3-4 Street Fighter III series characters
15-18 new characters

for a total of 26-32 total characters.

/wild speculation

ShinAmano

Gekkonidae said:

I think we'll see:

15-18 new characters

/wild speculation
Wow that is wild...I would guess 10-12 from SFII, 3-6 from Alpha and 3 or 4 from III and 4-6 new characters...

Grand total from 20-28 characters...

ShinAmano said:
Wow that is wild...I would guess 10-12 from SFII, 3-6 from Alpha and 3 or 4 from III and 4-6 new characters...

Street Fighter II only took 3 characters from Street Fighter. Street Fighter III only took 4 characters from street fighter II (and Chun came later.) Capcom's track record with the series so far is focusing on new characters.

ShinAmano

Gekkonidae said:
Street Fighter II only took 3 characters from Street Fighter. Street Fighter III only took 4 characters from street fighter II (and Chun came later.) Capcom's track record with the series so far is focusing on new characters.
Yeah, but if you read the EGM article it is all about rekindling that Street Fighter II feel...Ono (the producer) even said he wants to get as many back from II as possible.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I'm hoping for a medium to small roster. Sadly I love the good ol' Akuma, and since he's a "shoto clone" he seems less likely to make the cut if there are few characters, but I would be happy with something around 15(or even less). More is always fun, but I want this game to be balanced and if they focus on a small roster I assume they can take more time to balance and make them as diverse as possible.

any word on when we'll have a video btw?

Brobzoid said:
I'm hoping for a medium to small roster. Sadly I love the good ol' Akuma, and since he's a "shoto clone" he seems less likely to make the cut if there are few characters, but I would be happy with something around 15(or even less). More is always fun, but I want this game to be balanced and if they focus on a small roster I assume they can take more time to balance and make them as diverse as possible.

I doubt there'll be that few. Most fighters now a days have at least 20 characters. Capcom's not going to want SFIV's selection to look paltry in comparison.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Gekkonidae said:
I doubt there'll be that few. Most fighters now a days have at least 20 characters. Capcom's not going to want SFIV's selection to look paltry in comparison.

true. but still, it be nice to see a break from that norm. fighters these days have way too many useless characters.

Dali

ShinAmano said:

That's a bit much for a first release fighter. Traditionally fighting games start with a smaller roster and build on that on subsequent releases.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Gekkonidae said:

I think we'll see:

15-18 new characters

/wild speculation

Why so many new characters? I really doubt that many characters will be new..

My guess is more like:

SFII: 10-12
SFA: 3-5
SFII: 2-3
New: 2-3 to begin with, adding more in later installments maybe.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
800 characters!

I'm only half serious. Capcom is going to milk DLC (fighters) like a mother fucker with the game.

camineet

Banned
ShinAmano said:
Yeah, but if you read the EGM article it is all about rekindling that Street Fighter II feel...Ono (the producer) even said he wants to get as many back from II as possible.

I am so happy about that, and am excited to see what the new versions of the other SFII backgrounds will look like.

Vrolokus

Banned
haunts said:
Why so many new characters? I really doubt that many characters will be new..

I agree, especially after reading the EGM piece. My impression is virtually every SF2:HF character, maybe some of the SSF2 additions (i.e., Cammy), and then 2-4 additonal characters that are either plucked from Alpha or totally new.

All told, I'd be surprised if it shipped with more than 16 characters. And speculating it would have more than 20 seems a little crazy.

I would be surprised if there are any SF3 characters at all. For one, Capcom seems to view SF3's character roster as a misstep (again, from the EGM piece). Two, if you're going to pack it with SF2 characters, that makes most SF3 characters superfluous. Why have Hugo when you have Zangief? Why have Necro when you have Dhalsim? Why have Remy when you have Guile?

ShinAmano

Vrolokus said:
I agree, especially after reading the EGM piece. My impression is virtually every SF2:HF character, maybe some of the SSF2 additions (i.e., Cammy), and then 2-4 additonal characters that are either plucked from Alpha or totally new.

All told, I'd be surprised if it shipped with more than 16 characters. And speculating it would have more than 20 seems a little crazy.

I would be surprised if there are any SF3 characters at all. For one, Capcom seems to view SF3's character roster as a misstep (again, from the EGM piece). Two, if you're going to pack it with SF2 characters, that makes most SF3 characters superfluous. Why have Hugo when you have Zangief? Why have Necro when you have Dhalsim? Why have Remy when you have Guile?
I was thinking more the Alex, Makoto, Ibuki, Elena route...because I agree you don't need too many similar styles...but I still think 20+...

Top Bottom