• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V being built on Unreal Engine 4

Skab

huge difference my ass. if there was huge difference u wouldnt have to resort to 'I bet you that you cant even tell what's new when an opponent blocks an incoming attack' to point out the differences.

ive seen the trailer in hd and unless u nitpick and really focus there is hardly any differences.
FwuPg7e.jpg

cdkxvr.png

^^huge difference lol where?

Uh, yes, there's quite a difference there.

Just go away already, you're no longer contributing anything worthwhile to the thread.

Why does companys like Capcom don't use or make their own game engines anymore? I don't think that the Unreal Engine is bad, I only think that big companys like Capcom should have their own game engines, to me it feels a little bit strange ;)

Is not cheap to develop and it seem that, for Japan, for every Fox Engine there 2 Crystal Tools.

the trolling in this thread is seriously derailing the importance of capcom choosing the UE4. We getting the game sooner and i'm legit hype about this.

Only 16 characters is terrible I hope that isn't true. I'd expect 25 characters in the initial roster at least.

16 is a good start, especially if they're really making each character's style unique and vastly different from one another.

Also, Blanka has to be there. He has to!!

Shackzam

If I had to circle where the differences are. I would have to circle the whole damn picture because it looks completely different besides the iconic colors of the two characters. I mean how does that even look similar? That should be the real question. I have put in a shit ton of hours on street fighter 4 and casual people that watch me play can see the difference when they first saw the trailer.

Eteric Rice

There's a difference, but it's just not a massive one like I think some were expecting. Still looks nice and sharp, which is what matters to me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Really glad to see Japanese developers embracing UE4. Engine development has been far too big of a time and money sink for them and often their engines are too personalized for a certain project they can't be used for other games.

It's also pretty cool that UE4 seems to be a good choice for 60fps games on consoles, which UE3 was not last gen.

Momentary

Banned
Only 16 characters is terrible I hope that isn't true. I'd expect 25 characters in the initial roster at least.

Eh. I've been playing fighting games longer than most people on here have been alive. 16 is more than average for a fighting game starting on a new graphical engine.

This art style is a step up in the right direction but it is like many have said, it's too safe. The fact that the argument constantly breaks out about the game being a minor visual upgrade is proof that they could have done something much more dynamic to freshen things up even more. Imagine this model if it was age appropriate
1112_ryu_render_0000.jpg

Street Fighter has never went for stylized realism.

- No Super Street Fighter 2X + EX (Updates kinda like League of Legends / Killer Instinct)

Most excited for updates to keep changing the meta/balance. That'll be cool! (Something Smash 4 should be doing more of)

yurinka

What engine was SF4 on?
A highly modified version of MT Framework, adapted and optimized to run Fighing games on it.

Back then, when SFIV was made, MT Framework didn't support fighting games so they branched and highly changed it to use it in all other SFIV versions.

SF IV 3DS, MvC3 and SFxT did use MT Framework once a later version of the engine was adapted to use fighting games on it.

This art style is a step up in the right direction but it is like many have said, it's too safe. The fact that the argument constantly breaks out about the game being a minor visual upgrade is proof that they could have done something much more dynamic to freshen things up even more. Imagine this model if it was age appropriate
1112_ryu_render_0000.jpg

Street Fighter has never went for stylized realism.
Happy to see SFIV and SFV took a more 2D Capcom fighter-like artstyle.

huge difference my ass. if there was huge difference u wouldnt have to resort to 'I bet you that you cant even tell what's new when an opponent blocks an incoming attack' to point out the differences.

So instead of answering my question, you ask me the same question? Ok let's play this game of yours.
aazxm8.gif

I can tell you whats new. Please point out how this animated gif isn't doing anything new?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They were under a three game license for UE3 and didn't expect the engine to be ready by the time they shipped the game.

Which is reasonable actually given only two UE4 games on consoles have shipped (D4 and that horror game) and Arkham Knight was supposed to be out in October.

SamVimes

They should make a kickstarter with only one goal: 200,000 dollars to not add Blanka. They will reach that shit in no time.

There was an update on Bogard's information posted here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143302117&postcount=1076

If we have a new Brazillian and Indian character, it seems likely that Blanka/Sim won't make the starting roster.

Hmmm..looks like he's change the 16 character thing to:

The number of characters in the starting roster will be between SFIII and SF IV. He knows the number but not the returning cast.

He didn't specify which versions of these games but if SF3 means 3rd strike as a minimum then we'd actually be getting a 20-ish character starting roster.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So instead of answering my question, you ask me the same question? Ok let's play this game of yours.
aazxm8.gif

I can tell you whats new. Please point out how this animated gif isn't doing anything new?
Can someone explain to me what's new? I don't follow fighting games much. The animation lools great though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Can someone explain to me what's new? I don't follow fighting games much. The animation lools great though.

I think it's that she actually positions herself to block each incoming attack in a logical fashion instead of there just being a random spark against someone holding their hands out regardless of where the limb itself is hitting, as if they are projecting an invisible force field.

sörine

Banned
A highly modified version of MT Framework, adapted and optimized to run Fighing games on it.

Back then, when SFIV was made, MT Framework didn't support fighting games so they branched and highly changed it to use it in all other SFIV versions.

SF IV 3DS, MvC3 and SFxT did use MT Framework once a later version of the engine was adapted to use fighting games on it.
SFIV uses a custom engine from Dimps that isn't at all based on MT Framework. In fact it predates Capcom sharing the engine with dev partners like Eighting or Tose.

I believe SFXT uses the same engine as well, not MT Framework. Even the Vita port.

MoxManiac

I think it's that she actually positions herself to block each incoming attack in a logical fashion instead of there just being a random spark against someone holding their hands out regardless of where the limb itself is hitting, as if they are projecting an invisible force field.

Not only that, but Ryu's leg stops at her hands instead of clipping through her.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ah, OK. I did notice that but wasn't sure if it was in the more recent updates to SFIV or not.

ive seen the trailer in hd and unless u nitpick and really focus there is hardly any differences.
FwuPg7e.jpg

cdkxvr.png

did titanfall being on pc stop sony fans from hating on it every thread? nope.

You know, initially I thought they barely looked different too...until you showed those screenshots.

Damn that looks a lot better than I realized. Too bad for you that sharing a same art style means that they look the same to you.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Besides looking different enough to not be called Uber SF4, there aren't real specifics to give IMO.

It definitely looks like a different game tho.

Sayad

It's mostly about Ryu's kicks animating like they've been blocked, in SF4, attacks animation will play out the same if blocked or not.

The little details like fingers and cloth animation are pretty good too.

Top Bottom