• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V minimum and recommended PC specs

Swarna

I made a thread about this before, but I am wholly convinced there is a way to allow for a display of 120 but gameplay logic still tied to the 60.

I just want shiny... I just want smooth.

No doubt it is theoretically possible. I made a post about that before, too, but recently I discovered that USF4 on PC can actually be set to run at lower than 60 FPS. If you run the game in 50hz mode, it runs full speed at 50 FPS. I even tried locking the frames to 30, still full speed, even though it was choppier. It just doesn't allow for greater than 60 and your game speed will slow down if you drop frames mid-match. I'm guessing the logic is set at the start of the match and doesn't allow for variance during gameplay. Still that brings up the possibility that USF4 might already have the inner workings of a variable frame rate system in place or atleast something that calculates the game state separately from the rendered frames since the frame data on moves have to stay intact.

I think KI might be running at higher rate of logic on XB1 because they said the game runs at 90 FPS but caps off to 60. It will be interesting to see if KI allows for higher FPS on PC.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Does anyone know if the game will have a live spectating feature?

Crisium

would my comp be able to handle it?

i5 2500K CPU @ 3.3 GHZ (4 CPUS...that's what the comp says)
AMD Radeon HD 6900 series

Capcom chose not to offer AMD cards in its recommendations so its hard to say especially since yours is pre-GCN. Historically the Radeon 6970 was roughly equal to the GTX 570 (while the 6950 was a little slower), but given that architecture I'm not sure how it will run.

ElTopo

Banned
Not worried at all about running this. I could run the Phantom Pain on High settings at 60FPS with my current rig and it looked pretty good (hair looked terrible but I think that's a limitation of the Fox Engine).

So that means it should be well optimized for PC's, that's great.

But its strange that the absolute minimum CPU requirements are higher than what the PS4 has. Is that just on account of PC API overhead in general?

It's partly because of api overhead, partly because a PC has to do other stuff besides run the game but mostly because minimum requirememts are usually pulled out of someone's ass. MGS V had a Core i5 as a minimum, I finished the game on an ancient Intel Q6600 released 8 years ago and I got 60 fps 95% of the time.

Can't agree with that. SFIII may be the best animated 2d fighter ever, but even SFIV blew it out of the water on the basis of animation. It's especially apparent because a lot of the characters in IV obviously used their SFIII animations as key frames but fleshed them out to fully 60fps animated. Ryu and Ken for example retain most of their animations from III, especially apparent with moves like their sweep and shoulder throw. Chun is also hugely obvious. SFV's physics and per-attack blocking are just things taking it to another level.
Comparing Ryu's sweep between III and IV alone just shows a massive difference in quality. I know you've already clarified what you meant in a follow-up post, but it's still worth highlighting:

ryu-crouch-hk.gif
ryuivsweep8bj6j.gif

Even with the later additions to the roster, Street Fighter IV's moves just lack weight and often looks flat or disjointed to me. Its animations can certainly be expressive at times - mostly the Ultras though - with all the new visual effects and what have you, but across the board there's always something that doesn't quite look right in my eyes with character movement specifically. Given the bars Capcom has set in the past with their spritework, their first foray into a Street Fighter with 3D models comes off as underwhelming. SFV on the other hand is a HUGE step in the right direction with attacks having a vastly improved sense of impact now (never mind the other minor details) with the only real eyesore so far in this aspect being how the hair physics (see R. Mika) and to a lesser extent the cloth physics behave. Upon reveal I was honestly taken aback how much more refined V appeared at first glance next to its predecessor and the devs have only gotten better since then. V also does a noticeably better job than IV of applying the III keyframes and expanding upon them for Ryu and Chun-Li.

Grokbu

Gonna be interesting to see how this works for me.

I'm currently using a 9950 CPU @2.6GHz, a 6950 2GB GPU and 4GB RAM.

I have a feeling I'm not gonna be able to run it at a constant 60fps on lowest settings. One thing that I'm anxious about is, when testing this, knowing if RAM would be what's holding me back or the CPU (or GPU, I guess). Because if I only need more RAM, that'd be a pretty cheap upgrade, but I also wouldn't want to purchase RAM if I'm still being held back by the CPU.

petran79

Banned
Ports/upgrades are usually months late, competition is usually worse, way lower population, Capcom's netcode seems to be worse.... but yea people play fighting games on PC.

Now if PC would stop getting treated like shit from every fighting game publisher I bet even more people would buy them. Dead or Alive and BlazBlue get released on Steam with no online play and these silly people still buy the shit.

Regarding Fightcade and SF2T, one of the best Sagat players in Europe plays there.
Also the best Vampire Savior and Jojo players frequent lobbies and in KOF matches as well you'll see a lot of Latin American players.
Though Chinese players prefer Arclive, the Chinese Fightcade equivalent.

LTWheels

I think KI might be running at higher rate of logic on XB1 because they said the game runs at 90 FPS but caps off to 60. It will be interesting to see if KI allows for higher FPS on PC.

Yeah, they said this on this year's EVO panel and also posted about it on their forum. Essentially it's why KI's netcode is so good as it lets them double the amount of rollback checks, or something like that.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Comparing Ryu's sweep between III and IV alone just shows a massive difference in quality. I know you've already clarified what you meant in a follow-up post, but it's still worth highlighting:

Even with the later additions to the roster, Street Fighter IV's moves just lack weight and often looks flat or disjointed to me. Its animations can certainly be expressive at times - mostly the Ultras though - with all the new visual effects and what have you, but across the board there's always something that doesn't quite look right in my eyes with character movement specifically. Given the bars Capcom has set in the past with their spritework, their first foray into a Street Fighter with 3D models comes off as underwhelming. SFV on the other hand is a HUGE step in the right direction with attacks having a vastly improved sense of impact now (never mind the other minor details) with the only real eyesore so far in this aspect being how the hair physics (see R. Mika) and to a lesser extent the cloth physics behave. Upon reveal I was honestly taken aback how much more refined V appeared at first glance next to its predecessor and the devs have only gotten better since then. V also does a noticeably better job than IV of applying the III keyframes and expanding upon them for Ryu and Chun-Li.

this is the real problem in SF IV, imo.

look at how weighty animations were in 3:

latest

Sayad

SFIV's Ryu sweep was made after SFII Ryu animation though, so it's not the best comparison. I think Evil Ryu have SFIII sweep.

For SFV comparison, you can see the blocked variation in this gif:
aazxm8.gif

Hyun Sai

Seems like you just prefer its exaggerated stylizations and contortions.

Not me. I always disliked the way SFIII did lots of the animation, on the contrary, I think many moves SFIV had more impact and weight due to the fact that they were shorter.

I don't like for exemple Ryu's sweep in SFV compared to SFII or IV one.

ryu-crouch-hk.gif
ryuivsweep8bj6j.gif

Yeah Street Fighter V has fixed that. They even added an animation for then the opponent blocks his sweep. It looks much better then IV.

jon bones

SFIV's Ryu sweep was made after SFII Ryu animation though, so it's not the best comparison. I think Evil Ryu have SFIII sweep.

For SFV comparison, you can see the blocked variation in this gif:

great gif, you can feel the weight behind Ryu's sweep

Seems like you just prefer its exaggerated stylizations and contortions.

that's a bit reductive

Jawmuncher

Did they say if it's the 2gb version of the 690 or not? While more ram is always a good thing for a graphics card. SFV seems like something that would be just fine with a 2gb card so long as it's a goodport.

Kezen

Banned
Did they say if it's the 2gb version of the 690 or not? While more ram is always a good thing for a graphics card. SFV seems like something that would be just fine with a 2gb card so long as it's a goodport.

We assume they mean the 2gb version as it's the standard sku. The game does not really seem graphically intensive so 2gb should be fine. I mean how many textures can possibly be displayed in such a game ?

Hi guys, not so good with the PC specs thing, primarily a Playstation guy but recently got a laptop.

i5, 12 gb ram... But video card is a 940M. Is that a potato video card? I honestly don't know. Does this qualify for the minimum?

Im planning to get this on PS4, but may also consider getting it on PC so I can get some reps in at work. TIA!

Laugh at me all you want people, but I'll be running this game on a Core 2 Duo. No matter what the requirements say. That old coot is getting me through The Phantom Pain just fine, It can play Rising Thunder (An UE4 game, no less!) and even that mess of a port called Mortal Kombat X was doable, at 720p...

...Or I'll just hope I can buy a cheap PS4 by the time the game is out. :p

can you take screenshots of what it look like in the beta? curious to see how the low settings look

Gren

Damn it.
I hope they put out a real (not network test) beta down the line too so people who are unsure of their computers can test it out.

If you have the funds available, you could always just preorder directly from Steam, participate in the beta(s)(?), then refund before release (dunno if Valve still bans you from certain marketplace activity for a while in doing so, though).

That's what I plan on doing, and I'm a moderate SF fan.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
My top of the line Macbook pro can't run it. Not even close.

Apple need to get their act together and have more powerful GPUs in their laptops :p

Why do so many games just exclude AMD processor/GPU in the specs? Steam statistics show that its roughly a 50/50 split, there's no majority that has Intel CPUs/ Nvidia GPUs

Parsnip

If you have the funds available, you could always just preorder directly from Steam, participate in the beta(s)(?), then refund before release (dunno if Valve still bans you from certain marketplace activity for a while in doing so, though).

That's what I plan on doing, and I'm a moderate SF fan.
I might, when Ibuki enters the game.
Which doesn't seem likely any time soon.
:(

So after launch seems more likely for me.

Why do so many games just exclude AMD processor/GPU in the specs? Steam statistics show that its roughly a 50/50 split, there's no majority that has Intel CPUs/ Nvidia GPUs

I just looked at that stats and it's 52/27 Nvidia to AMD on the GPU side and 75/25 Intel to AMD on the CPU side. That being said, they should have their equivalents, they represent a significant portion of the audience, unfortunately min/rec specs barely mean anything anymore.

tariniel

I'm a bit torn on what platform to play this one on. It always seemed like a no-brainer that I'd buy it on PC, but I recently got a PS4 for other reasons. I would imagine that the community would be larger on PS4, and maybe even the netcode would be better there too, and maybe the PC version would be a bad port or something. But 1440p...

Edit: Was unaware of cross platform play, disregard.

Lulubop

I'm a bit torn on what platform to play this one on. It always seemed like a no-brainer that I'd buy it on PC, but I recently got a PS4 for other reasons. I would imagine that the community would be larger on PS4, and maybe even the netcode would be better there too, and maybe the PC version would be a bad port or something. But 1440p...

It has cross play...

jon bones

SF V has cross platform play, so this shouldn't be an issue for you

KingBroly

Banned

The online is cross-platform

The community wouldn't matter since Ps4 and PC players can play against each other.

tariniel

It has cross play...

SF V has cross platform play, so this shouldn't be an issue for you

The online is cross-platform

The community wouldn't matter since Ps4 and PC players can play against each other.

Wow, thanks, I actually didn't know this about the game. So the only risk is that the port might be bad, which we should find out ahead of time from betas if that's the case. Looks like I'll probably play it on PC then, since my stick already works on it.

Klossen

Banned
Wow, thanks, I actually didn't know this about the game. So the only risk is that the port might be bad, which we should find out ahead of time from betas if that's the case. Looks like I'll probably play it on PC then, since my stick already works on it.

Yeah, crossplay really is a blessing for fighting games. No longer divided communities that will go on to die slow deaths because there is no consistent community on one platform. Really smart move by Capcom to unify their platforms into one.

Dinjoralo

Capcom confirmed a while back that they were developing the PC version in-house alongside the PS4 version. So while it could still run bad, it's definitely less likely, since it's not actually a port.

Momentary

Banned
What is this with Capcom making bad ports? Last time they made a horrible port was not in this decade. They've had hiccups on a few releases, but they are like they champions of making games that run buttery smooth (thanks to QLOC) And if there is a problem they usually get it fixed pretty darn quick. Only huge issue was connectivity with USFIV, but even when they had "problems" it was still a better netcode than other fighting games had at the time on the platform. (Sans Skullgirls)

What is this with Capcom making bad ports? Last time they made a horrible port was not in this decade. They've had hiccups on a few releases, but they are like they champions of making games that run buttery smooth (thanks to QLOC) And if there is a problem they usually get it fixed pretty darn quick. Only huge issue was connectivity with USFIV, but even when they had "problems" it was still a better netcode than other fighting games had at the time on the platform. (Sans Skullgirls)

I think the fear comes more from games like MKX and Arkham Knight rather than Capcom itself.

Top Bottom