• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT2| Another Fight Isn't Coming Your Way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Am I the only one having issues with command responses? I've been playing SF since 2 in the 90's so I have no problems inputting commands but this is the only SF game where what I'm pressing isn't always coming out like it should or not at all. For example, using Laura today, when I pressed the command for her elbow grab, her lighting came out. I also just lost a match because her CA didn't activate at a perfect opening, even though I KNOW I inputted correctly. Things like this are happening regularly and it's only in SF5. It's also not a controller issue either, since I went back to SF4 just to be sure and had no issues with inputs there, everything comes out just like I press.

I have no problem admitting when I screw up, but nothing is more aggravating than losing because of something that's apparently out of your control. Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?

Sounds like input leniency issues. For example if you are walking forward, and immediately input QCF + P, you will get a DP. This is because of the forward input you were using to walk forward being considered the first active input, and forward, down, forward is a DP input shortcut. The input window is long enough that the forward is still within the window at the start.

It can help to train yourself to go to down back instead of down when you need to start a QCF move from forward movement. That's basically how I learned to get Ryu's low forward into fireball cleanly from the walking forward state instead of accidentally getting a DP.

As for the super inputs, leniency has changed there from SF4. Previously the middle inputs had leniency; you could do down, down forward, down back, forward and actually get a QCF x2 super (because the second input is looking for any variation of forward, and the third is looking for any variation of down). You no longer have leniency on the middle inputs; you need a down, a forward, a second down, and a second forward in the input window to get QCF x 2.

Nephtes

SF2 had close and/or far standing normals. 2 variations at most. And, a lot of those moves were useless. People would just distill everyone's moves down to the ones that didn't suck, and exclusively used those. So, Capcom streamlined the movelists in SF5, so every button has a purpose.

Also, they got rid of proximity normals (attacks changing depending on how close you are), and now allow you to chose which move you want to use independent of distance.

Is that why Cammy's standing H.K is whiff city? (Or did it always suck? I never really used her in SFIV)

Trickster

You cant tech command grabs. You can tech regular throws, with a regular throw of your own.

Yeah I know, But I try to time grab for when the other person is hitting me, so if they stop their combo and stuff to go for a throw, I tech it. Same should apply if they go for a command throw, yes? Only if I grab them instead of a tech then if grabs beat comman grabs

Maybe you're throwing too late, and the command throw is coming earlier. Maybe your throw is too far, and the command throw is catching you from outside the throw range. Don't try to throw when someone is trying to command grab, generally, unless you have frame advantage

So basically - "spam jabs" :/

mbpm1

Yeah I know, But I try to time grab for when the other person is hitting me, so if they stop their combo and stuff to go for a throw, I tech it. Same should apply if they go for a command throw, yes? Only if I grab them instead of a tech then if grabs beat command grabs

I don't think they beat command throws. Grabs really have no range in this game, so I think it's the distance thing I mentioned.

So basically - "spam jabs" :/

That's not guaranteed either depending on your range or their command throw. It works if you're close, but if not, just jump.

tariniel

This 1800 LP Chun quit on me earlier:

2nonmvmp

And I'm not even very good, nor do I fully know how the fuck to use Necalli lol...

Well, there's at least a possibility on this one that it was a crash or a legit disconnect, since he hadn't actually lost yet.

Huggers

Well, there's at least a possibility on this one that it was a crash or a legit disconnect, since he hadn't actually lost yet.

Yeah the one that just happened to me was timed exactly after they lost the second round. How could anyone be bothered!?

Femto.

Anyone mind sharing some of Vega's BnBs with me?

All I know are his target combos and two combos that go into v-trigger into super. It was enough to get into bronze but I'm becoming too predictable.

I tried messing around in training mode but couldn't find anything else.

Edit:
Just found out that standing fierce + qcb mp works too.

Leunam

AA ideas for Nash? QCB HK seems slow unless you anticipate it, and crouching MP trades or loses more than it stuffs.

Marvel

could never

Doubtful.

I messaged him and he told me I got a lucky super and that I was full of myself. Also "Connection to Opponent lost" with the error code beginning with 4 is typically the RQ. Different code for legit kicks I believe.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah I know, But I try to time grab for when the other person is hitting me, so if they stop their combo and stuff to go for a throw, I tech it. Same should apply if they go for a command throw, yes? Only if I grab them instead of a tech then if grabs beat command grabs

You can't tech command throws and your regular throw will not always beat a command throw. It's scenario specific.

If they go for a command throw in the scenario you described, you can't tech it because you can't tech command throws. If your opponent used a + frame move against you before doing a command throw, it would beat your regular throw assuming they have the same startup (all regular throws have 5 frame startup) since theirs will come out faster after the + on block move.

Basically, what determines if your regular throw will beat their command throw is nothing more than range and frame advantage. If they're plus on block when going for the command throw, then their command throw is going to to beat any move you do isn't fast enough or doesn't have any throw invincibility.

Huggers

Cammy is very hard to punish. Her lp and lk are so rapid. People tend to cross up and spam that move where she drops in on you followed by a barrage of light punches. Hard to find a window to attack

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
what kind of AI cheese are you using? That sounds...painful

What's your strategy for beating Hell?

How in the fuck did you beat Hell? I can't even beat hard with this input reading bull shit AI.

I'm trying to do it with Ken.

Is there some abusive tactic?

The only real trick I can give is that when the AI enters HAM mode it responds to your buttons, so the key is to not give it anything to respond to. Just sit still, block low and crush counter punish all the unsafe shit it will start throwing at you when you do nothing.

Pompadour

The only real trick I can give is that when the AI enters HAM mode it responds to your buttons, so the key is to not give it anything to respond to. Just sit still, block low and crush counter punish all the unsafe shit it will start throwing at you when you do nothing.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

LiK

Doubtful.

I messaged him and he told me I got a lucky super and that I was full of myself. Also "Connection to Opponent lost" with the error code beginning with 4 is typically the RQ. Different code for legit kicks I believe.

if that's true then it should be pretty easy for Capcom to know when it's a ragequitter instead of a legit DC.

Whales

Banned
I dont understand this tho, someone could be doing survival offline and receive NO FM because of that? Because you don,t get FM while offline.. that shit is fucked up

Or do you receive the FM once you go online?

Cammy is very hard to punish. Her lp and lk are so rapid. People tend to cross up and spam that move where she drops in on you followed by a barrage of light punches. Hard to find a window to attack

You mean when she spins in the air? Hit her while she's still in the air then ( easier said than done)

I dont understand this tho, someone could be doing survival offline and receive NO FM because of that? Because you don,t get FM while offline.. that shit is fucked up

Or do you receive the FM once you go online?

You mean when she spins in the air? Hit her while she's still in the air then ( easier said than done)
You don't get or queue up any FM offline. :/

Pachimari

Yay for new thread!

Finally cleaned up my desktop as well, so I don't have a lot of clutter around. Just my excel for people to play online, my notepads for notes, and my browser. I'm probably gonna come up with a plan tomorrow in Excel, where I write in what to train each day.

But for today, I should finish the Story with all characters. Tomorrow I can do Survival on Easy with all character, so I'll at least have enough for Alex and Juri.

And then back to Training.

Pachimari

Wait, weren't the OT2 claimed by Garrett Hawke in the OT|OT thread?

Not that I particularly care who does it. I like this thread anyway.

Wallach

Yep, super stupid. Do you actually permanently lose that FM? Say you do survival on easy offline with ryu, then do it online again with ryu for the FM. Will the game actually give that FM to you?

Yeah, you will get it if you do it again while connected.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Necalli imediatly seems easier to use than Rashid. not surprisingly but still

is it me or he has no crossup? MK maybe? seems hard to hit if so

Dr Dogg

AA ideas for Nash? QCB HK seems slow unless you anticipate it, and crouching MP trades or loses more than it stuffs.

Standing roundhouse/heavy kick is pretty dependable as is crouching fierce/heavy punch. His air throw is another viable option as is neutral jump forward/medium kick.

Huggers

It'd be a nice gesture by Capcom to give us Alex as a freebie to apologise for the dodgy launch. Wishful thinker right here

Wallach

Necalli imediatly seems easier to use than Rashid. not surprisingly but still

is it me or he has no crossup? MK maybe? seems hard to hit if so

His cross-up is MK, yeah. Guaranteed spacing & timing off a hard knockdown is dash forward, dash back, forward jump. Can't be wakeup DP'd if done correctly.

Yay for new thread!

Finally cleaned up my desktop as well, so I don't have a lot of clutter around. Just my excel for people to play online, my notepads for notes, and my browser. I'm probably gonna come up with a plan tomorrow in Excel, where I write in what to train each day.

But for today, I should finish the Story with all characters. Tomorrow I can do Survival on Easy with all character, so I'll at least have enough for Alex and Juri.

And then back to Training.
That's some dedication right there.
Maybe I should start to read all those bookmarks I make about SFV too learn stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom