• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Hm, I still don't think I agree with this. The V-Reversal alone makes it a viable option when he's cornered due to the pushback. Balrog's actually pushes *him* into his opponent. The 3-frame jab is something Alex doesn't have, though, but it's still a wake-up button.

In that respect, at least Balrog can build V-Meter more quickly than Alex can.

The thing about Alex's V-Reversal is that it has 25 frames of startup, meaning it's super duper easy to bait and doing it against anything but laggy medium or most heavy buttons will result in you getting thrown out of it by most smart opponents. Plus, as mentioned before, the hitbox is super janky meaning that sometimes it just whiffs right through them and you eat a full punish because it's got a decently long recovery. Balrog's V-Reversal ain't great either, but Alex's is far from the best in the game.

It really should have been a grab like Mika's imo.

CD'S BAR

Balrog and Alex as both boss. Only thing I don't like about Balrog is yeah he sucks on wakeup. Baiting people with Alex's v-trigger is a lot of fun.

BlizzKrut

Banned
The thing about Alex's V-Reversal is that it has 25 frames of startup, meaning it's super duper easy to bait and doing it against anything but laggy medium or most heavy buttons will result in you getting thrown out of it by most smart opponents. Plus, as mentioned before, the hitbox is super janky meaning that sometimes it just whiffs right through them and you eat a full punish because it's got a decently long recovery. Balrog's V-Reversal ain't great either, but Alex's is far from the best in the game.

It really should have been a grab like Mika's imo.

Should've been DDT then, would've worked out great.

CD'S BAR

I have 38k FM right now, should I continue to grind my way to 85k to get the main story colours or impulse buy a story costume or stage variation? Those two being 40k a pop?

I've grinded that 38k mainly from the missions and playing ranked/casual via wins and leveling up characters.

I'd like to complete the costume sets but I think completing a set of colours for many characters would be very satisfying.

That or Capcom drops the SF2 Bison Thailand stage for 70k just as I get closer to 85k. Lol

I still have 4 characters left in trials to finish and of course the hated Hard and Extreme survival modes. So the offline game still offers a lot of untapped FM for me.

I'm almost at 40k again, and deciding between Balrog's and Alex's story costumes, the DLC character Story costume color pack, and Kanzuki Daytime. Each of those is only $1.99 real money but having shit to unlock via FM keeps me playing the game.

I really love playing Alex but at this point he's been relegated to "clutch counterpick only to be chosen if I feel like the opponent doesn't know the matchup" :p

Should've been DDT then, would've worked out great.

Yeah I agree. DDT was kind of useless in SFIII outside of very specific circumstances so I would've loved to see it be made useful.

Edzi

I really love playing Alex but at this point he's been relegated to "clutch counterpick only to be chosen if I feel like the opponent doesn't know the matchup" :p

Yeah I agree. DDT was kind of useless in SFIII outside of very specific circumstances so I would've loved to see it be made useful.

I play him because he's the most fun to play. I also realized that the only reason I got to Gold with Necalli was because you could play stupidly with him and still pull out wins, but with Alex I feel like all my wins are earned.

I really should pick up a top tier though to main though, I think I've gotten pretty bad with Necalli.

I play him because he's the most fun to play. I also realized that the only reason I got to Gold with Necalli was because you could play stupidly with him and still pull out wins, but with Alex I feel like all my wins are earned.

I really should pick up a top tier though to main though, I think I've gotten pretty bad with Necalli.

Yeah, he's super duper fun, but given he shares many bad matchups with Mika and Mika's an overall better character, I find little reason to pick him if I'm actually serious about winning.

Still, he's great in some scenarios: I managed to steal Top 4 in a weekly tournament back in August because the Cammy I was up against had experience vs. Mika but not Alex.

lupinko

I'm almost at 40k again, and deciding between Balrog's and Alex's story costumes, the DLC character Story costume color pack, and Kanzuki Daytime. Each of those is only $1.99 real money but having shit to unlock via FM keeps me playing the game.

With the exception of characters because they're the greatest time sink, if I can get something via FM, I'll get it with FM.

I always wonder..do shoto mainers get sick play against other shotos?
Shoto vs shoto is crazy fun...

Also Rog is weak because he has bad wakeup, dunno what you guys are really debating, bad wakeup gets you killed. I think Guile is slightly underrated though. He's pretty beastly in the right hands.

Rog & Alex is a toss up I guess, both are weak to pressure...my experience I think I lost more to Alex with good throw mixups.

FluxWaveZ

I didn't think about the V-Reversal startup. So you'd say Alex's is just as obvious as Balrog's? Just from looking, I feel like I'd have a way better time with Alex's, but I'd have to play him to be sure. Certainly wouldn't think his is one of the best, though; Mika's is probably up there.

I feel like because of my proclivity towards that type of character, I'd personally have an easier time with Alex and this discussion makes me want to dedicate some time to him. I don't think that'd be good, though, because I'm already focusing on Mika and Balrog, two characters who have the same weaknesses and share many similarities. Alex feels like it'd be more of the same, in that regard, and not enough variance for when I need it.

Alex's V-Reversal is quite good. Balrog's is one of the worst in the game, bringing him closer to the opponent in a -2 situation and it's so telegraphed.

It's not very good. It has a very slow start up(23) which makes it pretty easy to react to and block. It does give him a knockdown though so that's something.

Alex has a wake-up EX command grab option that at least beats throws (and sometimes shimmies) if you have the right read. Balrog doesn't have that.

Alex's EX command grab is not throw invincible either. Only Gief's EX. SPD and Birdie's EX Headbutt are. And as others have said it has really bad range, similar to Laura's most likely.

I didn't think about the V-Reversal startup. So you'd say Alex's is just as obvious as Balrog's? Just from looking, I feel like I'd have a way better time with Alex's, but I'd have to play him to be sure. Certainly wouldn't think his is one of the best, though; Mika's is probably up there.

I feel like because of my proclivity towards that type of character, I'd personally have an easier time with Alex and this discussion makes me want to dedicate some time to him. I don't think that'd be good, though, because I'm already focusing on Mika and Balrog, two characters who have the same weaknesses and share many similarities. Alex feels like it'd be more of the same, in that regard, and not enough variance for when I need it.

Alex's starts up much slower than Balrog's so I would say it's more obvious, yeah. Alex's also whiffs vs. early air normals due to its hitbox whereas Balrog's knocks them out of the sky, so it can't really be used as a clutch anti-air option if the opponent neutral jumps on your wakeup either.

If you want to dabble in Alex I'd be happy to give you some pointers. I found it super easy going from Mika to Alex so I don't think it'd be as much of a timesink as you're expecting.

How fucked am I when come back to playing this game? I haven't played in a long time due to school, and it seems it'll stay this way. The only game I might put away some time for is Dishonored 2 cause that game looks ace.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
PC players, the Steam DS4 support is live on the beta channel: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements/detail/8346832564

You should be able to use a DS4 natively with SFV this way!

Important part:
Added Steam Configurator support for PS4 Dual Shock Controller. Note that this is a beta release. Enable in Big Picture settings Add/Test Controller settings. When enabled, PS4 controllers will have access to the same sort of customization/configuration support as Steam Controllers, including native API support.
PS4 Controllers using this system can map the trackpad, gyro, buttons, etc. to keyboard, mouse, or x-input outputs and can make use of action sets, touch menus, radial menus, and so forth.

How fucked am I when come back to playing this game? I haven't played in a long time due to school, and it seems it'll stay this way. The only game I might put away some time for is Dishonored 2 cause that game looks ace.
Not fucked at all. Good players have moved on to better ranks, you'll be fine online.

I like guile v guile traditionally as well.
eww.
Ehh, you should be fine. You'll probably spend a few days reacclimating to everything but other than that, nothing much has changed.

FluxWaveZ

Alex's EX command grab is not throw invincible either. Only Gief's EX. SPD and Birdie's EX Headbutt are. And as others have said it has really bad range, similar to Laura's most likely.

Thanks, I definitely didn't know that. Another crushed assumption of mine, then.

I was only focusing on the positioning and the block (dis)advantage for V-Reversals, so I didn't even think about the startup frames at all. Balrog's is 15 and Alex's is 23 (as stated previously), so that seems like a pretty substantial difference indeed.

If his is as telegraphed, then both of their V-Reversals are bad.

...Though it's weird that this conversation went into a Balrog vs. Alex one at all, heh. I do know that Alex certainly has the advantage in that actual MU.

If you want to dabble in Alex I'd be happy to give you some pointers. I found it super easy going from Mika to Alex so I don't think it'd be as much of a timesink as you're expecting.

When I dabbled with Laura a bit, I did find her pretty intuitive due to my Mika experience, so I imagine I'd get a good handle on him fairly quickly. Maybe I'll spend some time with him in Training mode tonight.

Balrog's s.mp is a fine antiair. Not much horizontal range, but the vertical hit box is good.

c.fp on the other hand... Yuck.

I constantly have problems with st.MP trading with an opponent's air attack. It makes me scared to even throw it out sometimes.

JayEH

FluxWaveZ

Yes I am. Here's some anti airs I did in a match recently against a jumpy ryu. I don't feel I'm doing anything special in regards to timing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4qIeHTBn1o

Looking at this, I think I might be doing two things differently:

1. I usually press st.MP later, because I'm afraid of whiffing them if they're too high (it's happened sometimes).
2. I'm usually afraid to do it when they're jumping that close to me.

Thanks. That's something I have to work on.

Well, that and everything else. I'm still getting destroyed with him.

Mr. X

I can say with much certainty that, vs Nash, Urien is better than Chun.
Also, Urien beats Sim pretty bad.
Urien vs Fang is bad though.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I was having a fun FT3 in battle lounge against FGC_NYsFinest and he's up 2 to 1. In the 3rd round we're both low health and I get lucky and jump over his raw shinku hadoken and win. Then he doesn't rematch and kicks me out of the lounge. It was a good set and he probably would have won in the end. Why be such a bitch about it?

Producer

chun beats urien pretty bad too. urien cant ex headbutt except through blockstrings.

I was having a fun FT3 in battle lounge against FGC_NYsFinest and he's up 2 to 1. In the 3rd round we're both low health and I get lucky and jump over his raw shinku hadoken and win. Then he doesn't rematch and kicks me out of the lounge. It was a good set and he probably would have won in the end. Why be such a bitch about it?

Hes an RQer lol. And a shitty photoshop 'artist'

Skab

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";222297951]C'mon man, just a regular dude trying to claw my way back into Gold from Super Urien. I need my points.

mw7VLp.gif
[/QUOTE]

I still have no idea how to handle the Nash match up.

What exactly are his weaknesses?

DR2K

Banned
So how do you make the glitch happen where Laura and Necali can remove a layer of their clothing? Saw it on WNF.

lupinko

So how do you make the glitch happen where Laura and Necali can remove a layer of their clothing? Saw it on WNF.

That's not a glitch it's a command for Swimsuits, CPT and Halloween costumes.

Up+all punches+LK during the intros

LP+MK+HP for loincloth Urien all costumes.

I still have no idea how to handle the Nash match up.

What exactly are his weaknesses?

His normals have huge range but the hitbox/hurtbox ratios are really bad and none of his moves have airborne frames despite him jumping around for his command normals. That means he can't actually stay solid in footsies indefinitely and he can get stuffed pretty easily. He doesn't have a ton of ways to break serve in pressure situations so you can frame trap him all day without fear of losing advantage. Furthermore, he has trouble against characters with a variety of jump in options because he doesn't have a generalized anti air outside of EX scythe which is a losing battle. Also, he can wind up cornering himself with his long-range backdashes if the player isn't careful.

If you want to fight Nash I would recommend starting with buffering normals at his forward dash range to show that he can't abuse that pressure, then slowly moving him into the corner until he does something desperate or random.

LakeEarth

Connection lost when I got stunned. I swear that wasn't me, Balrog player on ranked! What terrible timing.

And yay, I'm finally in the Platinum club!

Csr

You mean Urien can fight Nash better than Chun li can? Could you explain why.
Personally as a Nash main i have a lot harder time dealing with Chun li than Urien.
Chun li can pressure Nash very well even without vtrigger, has more tools to avoid sonic booms on reaction and her walk speed and dash can close the distance a lot faster.

I am occasionally reminded that I have no matchup knowledge against FANG at all. Ran into Gold FANG today and felt really powerless. Any EU player here play FANG? lucebuce12 how is your connection with EU players?
Sorry for the late reply.

I can still get a decent connection with Western Europe. Hanging between 3-4 bars, but no guarantees.

Can't play this week though, absolutely swamped with course work.

myco666

Sorry for the late reply.

I can still get a decent connection with Western Europe. Hanging between 3-4 bars, but no guarantees.

Can't play this week though, absolutely swamped with course work.

Yeah I've have been matched with few Saudi Arabians players and the connection has been okayish most of the time. Figured that it wouldn't be too bad with you either. Lets try it sometime.

Yeah I've have been matched with few Saudi Arabians players and the connection has been okayish most of the time. Figured that it wouldn't be too bad with you either. Lets try it sometime.
Middle Eastern players would generally get a better connection than me since my country's routing actually passes through the middle east to get to europe.

Still though, would love to give it a shot when I can. Maybe this Friday or Saturday Night if you want?

myco666

Middle Eastern players would generally get a better connection than me since my country's routing actually passes through the middle east to get to europe.

Still though, would love to give it a shot when I can. Maybe this Friday or Saturday Night if you want?

Oh it works like that. Well lets hope it isn't too bad. Friday and Saturday should both be fine for me.

myco666

Gg myco, i think i just had a match with your necalli vs my birdie in casual.

Oh god that was you? I am so sorry you had to experience that lol. I am missing like 900fm for the 1million trophy and I am trying to get some easy level ups. I have no idea how to use Necalli at all. Your Birdie is pretty good though!

Farewell

Oh god that was you? I am so sorry you had to experience that lol. I am missing like 900fm for the 1million trophy and I am trying to get some easy level ups. I have no idea how to use Necalli at all. Your Birdie is pretty good though!

Haha i knew it, something was fishy!

Thanks, if you want to play a few sets just send me a message whenever you can.

Top Bottom