• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

nikos

Anyone playing this at 4K on a PC? Just got a 4K TV and decided to try it out. Seemed like I could only get a solid 60 fps at max settings if I scaled resolution down to 75-80%.

Specs are i5 6600k, 16gb, GTX 1070. Thought this game was less demanding, but maybe I'm wrong. Still looked way cleaner than the PS4 version.

FluxWaveZ

This is what happens when I bring Balrog to a tournament.

It pains me to do so, since I've put in SO much time with him since his release, but I'm gonna have to let him go for now. I just suck too much with him; there's some kind of clash between how I play and how he's supposed to be played that I'm finding currently insurmountable. Instead I'm going to focus on someone else now; someone who's the opposite in playstyle than a Balrog or a Mika.

FluxWaveZ

Time to pick up Guile.

Might be a very real possibility. I thought about this and NuckleDu at the local yesterday, actually. He obviously focuses the most on Mika, but he has Guile and Nash to basically cover her weaknesses and poor MUs. It's a good way to go.

FluxWaveZ

Why not learn F.A.N.G?

jk, don't learn fang.

Coming from Persona 4 Arena—where poison actually mattered—I liked the idea of a "battle of attrition" character who's game plan was being slippery to touch all while you're desperate to do so because your health is gradually disappearing.

So I, and I think many others, were the type to actively avoid his V-Skill shortly after launch. Going so far as to jump over it and getting hit instead. Now, no one could care less about it.

Might be a very real possibility. I thought about this and NuckleDu at the local yesterday, actually. He obviously focuses the most on Mika, but he has Guile and Nash to basically cover her weaknesses and poor MUs. It's a good way to go.
Guile and Nash are both good back ups for Mika IMO...More so guile, but can't go wrong with either

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";222539643]I really hate this move.

wjnN7g.gif
oYABXk.gif
[/QUOTE]

And people wanted dive kicks to be removed/nerfed

Celcius

°Temp. member
Anyone playing this at 4K on a PC? Just got a 4K TV and decided to try it out. Seemed like I could only get a solid 60 fps at max settings if I scaled resolution down to 75-80%.

Specs are i5 6600k, 16gb, GTX 1070. Thought this game was less demanding, but maybe I'm wrong. Still looked way cleaner than the PS4 version.

It's surprisingly demanding in 4K. You'd probably need a Titan X to avoid dipping below 60.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
4K is just such a big step up, it's very demanding. It's why some of these PS4Pro and even the Scorpio threads are so unrealistic.

Coming from Persona 4 Arena—where poison actually mattered—I liked the idea of a "battle of attrition" character who's game plan was being slippery to touch all while you're desperate to do so because your health is gradually disappearing.

So I, and I think many others, were the type to actively avoid his V-Skill shortly after launch. Going so far as to jump over it and getting hit instead. Now, no one could care less about it.
If you are gonna pick up a new character, I would suggest waiting until the balancing patch. While we still don't know how far the balancing is going to go, if they can make FANG and Guile better then I don't see why having character like that in your arsenal is a bad thing.

4K is just such a big step up, it's very demanding. It's why some of these PS4Pro and even the Scorpio threads are so unrealistic.

Cerny talking about 8TFLOPs to get to 4K so yeah it's a little unrealistic to expect that for most PS4Pro and Scorpio releases.

Hahahahaha yo it was crazy I thought me and my cuz were so good back in the day because we could beat our circle of friends consistently.

Then I played online for the first time and was like "tick throw"? Meaty? What the fook is that? Why is everyone getting perfects on me?! What the heck is a footsie?

Good times lol

Word. Same thing for me, cept when I got online, I actually initially still did fairly well against most my competition. THog over the years, I've lost a step for various reason (mainly distractions via family n shit, loss of patience).

I knew a good half of those terminologies from utility, but not always by actual vernacular use tho, lol.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";222539643]I really hate this move.

wjnN7g.gif
oYABXk.gif
[/QUOTE]
On the bright side, it doesn't usually lead into a full combo, right?

Or do I need to step up my air tatsu game?

I'm sure the pro patch will come eventually but clearly it's not particularly high on their list of priorities.
On the bright side, it doesn't usually lead into a full combo, right?
Dude, the second gif clearly shows him getting the b.mp target combo off of the tatsu lol. Just one of the reasons why it's a broken move. A Ken player can literally push their opponent to the corner with one successful air tatsu.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm sure it'll come eventually but clearly it's not particularly high on their list of priorities.
Dude, the second gif clearly shows him getting the b.mp target combo off of the tatsu lol. Just one of the reasons why it's a broken move.
That's why I said usually. I do it a lot and it's not easy to predict when and where it will hit.

See my edit. I am asking if people are so good at it that they can reliably get a combo off of it. I don't see it it happen with any regularity in tournament play so I'm going to guess the answer is no.

I'm not arguing that the move shouldn't be altered, just saying that the situation in the gif isn't the typical result based on my observation of pro play. If you've experienced something different in platinum ranks, I'm not going to argue with that.

That's why I said usually. I do it a lot and it's not easy to predict when and where it will hit.

See my edit. I am asking if people are so good at it that they can reliably get a combo off of it. I don't see it it happen with any regularity in tournament play so I'm going to guess the answer is no.

I'm not arguing that the move shouldn't be altered, just saying that the situation in the gif isn't the typical result based on my observation of pro play. If you've experienced something different in platinum ranks, I'm not going to argue with that.
I believe it does combo but only when done perfectly like in the second gif. When done too early, then it might not combo unless it's a counter hit.
That's often why it's better to just block and then Kens started adapting and stopped trying to go for combos after the blocked tatsu and started going for going for walk up throws or the shimmy.

FinKL

Check out Daigo's super hadouken tech: https://www.twitch.tv/daigothebeastv/v/98547617?t=15m

It's really kind of crazy stuff. Anybody got some more info about it?

Very curious as well, from what I can see, the reversal EX is always getting stuffed, so it's not just EX hado.
To me, I think he's canceling a normal fireball into EX and therefore the EX is grabbing the inital hurtbox of the normal fireball. There's no reversal on screen when he does it successful so I'm confused if he's delaying it.

I honestly don't know how anyone can play this game on the ps4 using a HDTV. With VSync on I notice it would take .5 seconds for the game to register my inputs even after the update reducing it to 6.5. After turning it off still using a Intel Graphics and LCD TV, the game feel a lot more responsive but not at the pint when playing on my laptop.

after CPT they should just reduce back to 4.9 and not wait for S2.

EDIT: Misread what Zombegoast meant.

Holy shit man, .5 seconds is way too much for any game let alone for a fighting game. While HDTVs are generally slower than monitors, have you checked your settings for some post-processing bullshit or something that's increasing the input lag?

Sayad

You should probably check your HDTV setting, Zombegoast. You might have MotionFlow on to get half a second of delay. ;p

LakeEarth

I just remembered, I should probably make sure that I've set my TV to "game" mode. Sometimes I switch it to a different mode to make movies look better.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I honestly don't know how anyone can play this game on the ps4 using a HDTV. With VSync on I notice it would take .5 seconds for the game to register my inputs even after the update reducing it to 6.5. After turning it off still using a Intel Graphics and LCD TV, the game feel a lot more responsive but not at the pint when playing on my laptop.

after CPT they should just reduce back to 4.9 and not wait for S2.
Are all your picture "enhancement" settings disabled?

.5 seconds would be 30 frames lol

My tv is rated to have 28ms of lag. With game mode on and Vsync off the difference was noticeable. I couldn't even jump on reaction before and was very easy to drop combos.

And this was with game mode on. I can't imagine how bad it is while off but remember being an issue playing tropical freeze.

hadar

Finally managed to grab this yesterday during my lunch break for a €20 bargain (first fighter so I didn't really want to risk paying full price).

Got home, put the disc in, grabbed my controller and started some games against easy AI just to get a feel for the characters.

Suddenly it hit me, the soulcrushing feeling when you realize you know squat.

This gon' be fun ;(

Finally managed to grab this yesterday during my lunch break for a €20 bargain (first fighter so I didn't really want to risk paying full price).

Got home, put the disc in, grabbed my controller and started some games against easy AI just to get a feel for the characters.

Suddenly it hit me, the soulcrushing feeling when you realize you know squat.

This gon' be fun ;(

It'll be a fun ride! Just ask if you have any questions. You might want to check out Giefs Gym on the street fighter subreddit. It's pretty good.

Roxkis_ii

Hey everyone, I know I could find this information elsewhere, but I wanted an excuse to post here. (I've been lurking for awhile)

Does anyone know how you can counter or stop cross ups?
I was playing a guy in a lobby and he told me was that one of my weakness was falling for cross ups all day (along with my unsafe play (to many spinning birds))

I play with Chun li. Any advise would be appreciated.

Edzi

Hey everyone, I know I could find this information elsewhere, but I wanted an excuse to post here. (I've been lurking for awhile)

I was playing a guy in a lobby and he told me was that one of my weakness was falling for cross ups all day (along with my unsafe play (to many spinning birds))

Usually you just block, though there are some AAs that can hit opponents directly above you. Not sure if Chun's st. lk hits directly above her, but it's so fast that I wouldn't be surprised if you hit them anyway.

Sigmaah

Press that st.lk when they jump, ain't no one gonna get u with that shit again.

Are we talking about the bullshit Chun-Li v-skill, Necalli jump.mk, Ken's air tatsu crossups or just regular crossups?

For the bullshit, there's little advice I can give you.

But for regular crossups, it requires some decent practice and knowledge of jump arcs. The best way really is to just get some regular practice in. Gauge from the enemy started their jump and where your current position is to know whether they'll cross up. Remember that cross-up attacks can still hit you if they land on the same side.

For characters with faster walk speed, an attack that normally would be a crossup can be turned into a regular jump in if you started walking back quickly enough.

Suppose Ryu jumped at Birdie and did a crossup. 99/100 times, it's gonna be a cross-up regardless of how quickly birdie starting blocking back. But do the same thing with Vega instead of Birdie, it might be a crossup 60/100 times because Vega might move back quickly enough that Ryu still lands on the same side.

Ultimately, it requires practice to know which side they're gonna end up on.

EDIT: Assuming you know of course that Crossups hit on your other side and require you to block in the opposite direction. There are some characters with AAs that hit directly upwards like FANG's st.hp, Cammy's b.mp, Birdie's cr.mp that are fantastic at dealing with cross up attempts.

Roxkis_ii

Are we talking about the bullshit Chun-Li v-skill, Necalli jump.mk, Ken's air tatsu crossups or just regular crossups?

For the bullshit, there's little advice I can give you.

But for regular crossups, it requires some decent practice and knowledge of jump arcs. The best way really is to just get some regular practice in. Gauge from the enemy started their jump and where your current position is to know whether they'll cross up. Remember that cross-up attacks can still hit you if they land on the same side.

For characters with faster walk speed, an attack that normally would be a crossup can be turned into a regular jump in if you started walking back quickly enough.

Suppose Ryu jumped at Birdie and did a crossup. 99/100 times, it's gonna be a cross-up regardless of how quickly birdie starting blocking back. But do the same thing with Vega instead of Birdie, it might be a crossup 60/100 times because Vega might move back quickly enough that Ryu still lands on the same side.

Ultimately, it requires practice to know which side they're gonna end up on.

EDIT: Assuming you know of course that Crossups hit on your other side and require you to block in the opposite direction. There are some characters with AAs that hit directly upwards like FANG's st.hp, Cammy's b.mp, Birdie's cr.mp that are fantastic at dealing with cross up attempts.

Its was a Ryu doing the standard jump in attack. I think the guy I was playing was pretty good at it. I would think he was at the cross up range but it would hit me from the front.

Its was a Ryu doing the standard jump in attack. I think the guy I was playing was pretty good at it. I would think he was at the cross up range but it would hit me from the front.
The Ryu j.lk does have a deceptive hurtbox but it's fairly easy to tell when it'll crossup and when it won't. Like I said, just requires some practice, specifically in being able to tell where the enemy will land should they not press anything. If they'll land in front of you, then it won't be a crossup. If they'll land behind you, then it will be a crossup.

FluxWaveZ

Any kind soul willing to watch the Grand Finals of my local tournament to give me some advice? I'm Karin in the video. I was in losers and managed to reset the bracket but kind of fell apart after that.

Video here

Bracket was reset here

It's a long video but any advice is greatly appreciated.

Just started watching, but you are jumping a LOT. If you go against an opponent that can actually AA consistently, that'll get shut down so many times. If you look at Justin Wong's Karin, he barely ever jumps. Jumping always puts one in a vulnerable position, and I feel like Karin, especially, excels more staying grounded and using her precise, good footsie options.

Edit: Also, you're doing the grab follow-up to her Ressenha frequently, and it's never working out. It has a 22f recovery, and it'd be way punishable if the opponent would do so. You weren't doing the slide follow-up, so it wasn't giving them any reason to stand up after a blocked Ressenha, so the grab would naturally whiff.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I've been using the Steam (beta) support for the DS4 today and it's been great. No more 3rd party programs to get it to work in SFV!

Only problem I'm having is that the controller is sometimes losing its connection because of the micro-usb port. (Been using the Xbox One controller until now)

Top Bottom