• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
My group of friends is getting to that point where people are slowly dropping off. I'm slowly getting closer to the inevitable moment where I'll have to start playing online if I want to play this game at all.

AlexIIDX

I'm trying to do a combo on a training mode dummy ive seen some Guile players do but I can't get the last part to connect. I always see it as a combo after you get a stun. Does the opponent being in stun effect combos?

Well played Nuckledu Fillipinno, Smug, Wolkkraine, and some of other #20 and #30 ranked guys. No ggs back, skillsmith never rematches me, no matter how close the matches are. I sent Smug an invite no reply.

Meh...think I'm gonna take a break again and play some JRPGs and VR. I'm at a skill now where I really need to either be at a tourney or have a mentor or something to take my game to the next level, but I guess everyone just wants to be a grand master in points.

Really disappointed the top players aren't more welcoming, climbing the ladders is no fun and I just want to play the best. I'm beating up on plats, super/ultra and then losing to one and getting reset on points lol. Not having fun with it tbh...

Next update hopefully isn't too far off...

myco666

My group of friends is getting to that point where people are slowly dropping off. I'm slowly getting closer to the inevitable moment where I'll have to start playing online if I want to play this game at all.

I wish I had someone to play with this game offline. I haven't played a single match offline except against CPU but that doesn't count.

Myco666, if you're there, wanna play today?

Yeah. Should have plenty of time to get few matches.

Sorry about that, my internet died. Got too caught up didn't realize that this is usually the time the power goes out lol. I can keep playing if you want.

It was pretty stable lol considering the distance. Definitely playable.

Edit: sent you another invite. Just remember that the power will come back on in an hour so expect another disconnect then too. After that I should be good.

myco666

Lucebuce I have to say that you used some real yolo tactics that got me off guard couple of times. That dash up CA made me laugh so hard when it hit me.

Feel like I learned alot about FANG but still have problems telling what is safe and what isn't. Feels like every single normal is positive and if I press something I get hit.

GGs myco, that was fun. Never played with a gaffer online before so that was a new experience :)

I was actually picking up on a few things that you were doing, both good and bad. If you want I can give some advice.

Edit: yeah those normals are pretty weird. I'll write a comprehensive post based on what you should know about the matchup in a minute.

myco666

GGs myco, that was fun. Never played with a gaffer online before so that was a new experience :)

I was actually picking up on a few things that you were doing, both good and bad. If you want I can give some advice.

Edit: yeah those normals are pretty weird. I'll write a comprehensive post based on what you should know about the matchup in a minute.

Yeah it was a ton of fun. Got little bit frustrated by the amount of times where both had just a sliver of health and you managed to almost always get the win out of the situation.

Please tell me all the advice you can. I really need to improve my Birdie and while I felt like it was pretty even at times I just know that there are lot of dumb stuff I do.

All right, so I got a little carried away and this post turned out bigger than I anticipated. The more the merrier I suppose.

When to go in:

The inherent problem with FANG vs Birdie is quite similar to Guile vs Zangief. The former is just zoning the latter out with their specials and normals, and the latter is trying to find one opportunity to get in. But if the latter gets in, then oh boy do things get difficult.

You had a decent idea with using the chain to get me closer to you when you thought you had a read but it's a double edged sword. If you use it too much, then the opponent either delays their moves, or tries to get closer to punish it (as I did with my forward dashes at the start of the round).

One tool that I felt you weren't using was the bullhorn. The bullhorn is of course projectile invincible so in those situations where I was doing the EX upballs into dash into cowards crouch kick (the d+ppp>k, the one where he lays down on the ground and bends forward), could have been punished easily by using the bullhorn in between. Even if you got hit with the poison balls, the damage will easily be in your favour.

A crucial thing about FANG's trap is that it goes away when FANG gets hit. Regardless of where it is, regardless of whether it's EX or not. If you get a jump in on me while I just layed down a trap, you get a free jump in and the trap vanishes. Another nifty thing about the trap that a lot of people don't seem to know, is that if you jump and do a normal, you'll get hit when you land on the trap. But if you do a regular jump and don't do a normal and block when you land on the trap, you'll block the thing. So you can actually use that to bait out a punish and then counter punish.

One crucial thing that I felt you weren't utilizing was your v-meter. You were V-reversaling and you were cancelling unsafe moves into v-trigger but remember that every move of yours becomes better with V-Trigger. When I played this matchup as Birdie against a FANG player I know, I tended to make him come to me. I did this by staying a full screen away. When he did upballs, I'd just jump over them. If he did trap, I'd v-skill. That's one MAJOR disadvantage of FANG is that situation when the enemy is getting free resources and you're not even getting the poison to hit them. Most FANG players will panic and try to get in and that's where you punish the slide or jump ins or whatever.

When you're in V-Trigger, you're EX bullhorn gets 2 hits of armor instead of 1, bullhorn actually becomes a wakeup option with it's few frames of armor on top of the projectile invincibility. bullhead has armor too. Everything does more damage. So take advantage of that v-meter, and only try to v-reversal if absolutely necessary. The can is also a dope tool that I felt you could have utilized more.

Remember again, that FANG is at a serious disadvantage if he has to go in on somebody, PARTICULARLY if that character has a fireball or something like the birdie soda can. That matchup is incredibly frustrating. FANG excels at keeping people out, not so much when the tables are turned.

What to do when you get in:

The one thing I noticed right away is that your meaty game and your pressure game needed some work. When you did score a jump in, either you did the j.mp too early and so the follow either didn't come out or didn't combo, or you got that jump in but didn't take advantage of it.

In most matchups, Birdie should be the one trying to zone. In this matchup, you have to get in, and you can't let that opportunity for pressure and control pass you by. You were doing your normals to get some distance on me which is fine against most characters, but not against characters like FANG.

Another thing is that you were going for some way too safe stuff IMO. When you anti aired me or got a pressure opportunity, you went for either a st.hk, overhead or regular throw. I even managed to tech some of those throws. You should instill the fear of the command grab in me before you try to go for the safety of the regular throw. Throw is good because if I expect a command grab and neutral jump, you can anti air. If I backdash, well, there's not that much distance between us and I can't punish. So conditioning is key, and you should definitely implement it more.

Push me to the corner. Like, for real. FANG suddenly turns into the shittest character in the game when he's in the corner, a title that he proudly shares with Balrog. Balrog has a shitty frame-3 armor move as his best wakeup option, FANG has a slide that he can be grabbed out of. FANG does not have a 3-frame normal, his jump is shit. The only real escape is his EX slide, which again can be grabbed out of, both regular throw and command grab. So like I said, use your command grabs and use your throws a bit more liberally for pressure. Even empty jumps into command grab is great here.

Also, use EX chain. It's fast enough that you can punish a trap or a upball, its a pseudo-command grab so the balls can't hurt you, and it allows you to pressure a bit more afterwards. It's a great tool for those cr.mp xx upballs situation where hit me with a button but then got hit by the balls and then even more stuff from me.

How FANG works:
This is mainly regarding his normals and his moves. His cowards crouch kick, the one where he lays down on the ground before kicking, is FANG's absolute best button. It's +2 on block, and +5 on hit. The +2 on block means that no character should take the risk of pressing buttons afterwards. To deal with this, you need to do a delayed tech. Here's a guide on r/streetfighter. Be careful though, because If I do this point blank, then I can do a cowards crouch kick xx st.lp/st.lk into throw which can hit too so be mindful of that. If ever there was a time for a reversal CA, this is the best opportunity since most FANGs just don't appreciate the risk against characters without DPs.

The cr.mk again a button that's +2. It's the button where he twists his leg over his head, the button that also works great as a anti air. When done point blank, there's the risk of both a throw, as well as a normal, so just do a delayed tech again. One thing though, is that FANGs can also shimmy after this move and it's dangerous so keep your wits about you. When we were playing, I noticed that you respected the button not to press it, right until you were at a distance where the only option I had was the cr.mp which of course will beat even your fastest normal (which is 4-frames). Cr.mk only counters into cr.mp on counter hit so that's a very common tool for meaty pressure as the cowards crouch kick and this move is only a danger for characters without a 3-frame jab *like Birdie :( *

The st.hk is a weird one. It's the button where he moves forward and hits you with his knee twice. That move is +6 on hit, and +1 on block. FANG is +1 oB and his fastest normal is 4 frames so characters with 3 frame jabs can just jab him and at worst, get a trade. Characters with 4-frame jabs however, can't really go for this and so it becomes again another source of pressure for FANG. The move again requires a late/delayed tech to deal with. It's tricky though, cause if he does it point blank then the late tech is awesome. If he does it at a bit of a distance then a shimmy becomes a legitimate possibility since he's at an ideal distance. A bit of a high level thing but it's easy enough to set up with those st.hk xx st.lp xx st.hk xx st.lp loops that I personally am a fan of abusing (THAT GREY HEALTH!!!)

In terms of his specials, they're fairly straightforward. He can set the trap, do the light trap which is -9 on block. You can actually punish this with Birdie's super, or if you block it when FANG is in the corner. His lunge is also punishable, light to heavy. I noticed you had the opportunity to punish and apply pressure when I occasionally did the lunge but you just did a cr.lp. A cr.mp xx medium bullhorn or a st.lk xx light bullhorn is always a good option, depending on the distancing. His EX upballs can be cancelled into a dash like I was doing and his regular balls can be cancelled into an EX dash but one bar of meter needs to be spent for this. Something to keep in mind.

His Super actually hits regularly the first time, then crosses up after the close up and he starts shitting dropping poison on the ground. I have a tendency to get a bit YOLO with my super. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. I've also done a super after a blocked st.hk against Ryu. He was conditioned to just do his 3-frame jab and I just did that to close the round. It was great because my move's invincibility lasts longer than his DP so I was gonna get a hit unless he started blocking for some reason. #JustFANGthings

Now here's the tricky thing about FANG against Birdie. With Birdie's f+hp, his EX bullhorn and stuff, it works perfectly against most characters since they only hit the one time. FANG though, being as weird as he is, hits twice on so many of his normals. The cr.mk, the st.hk, the cr.hk, the instant overhead (j.mk), the j.hk, etc. Taking this into account, f+hp and stuff is not a good option.

Everything else is fairly standard, and a matter of looking up the frame data on. Also, try not to jump at FANG since his AA normals are some of the best in the game.

PUNISH ME IF I DO THIS:

PUNISH ME IF I jump at you. Seriously, you're Birdie the AA god of this game. cr.hp xx can, cr.mp into mixup when I land. These things can straight up win you the round or at least get you a major life lead if you play your cards right. You're also a moving tank with insane amounts of HP so don't worry about the poison and stuff.

PUNISH ME IF I try to slide towards you without using the EX balls. His slide can both be grabbed, and hit. A few times I did a slide into stuff but you didn't press buttons. Just a regular throw is a decent punish since you can use it to turn the tables a bit. Again, his EX slide can be grabbed so a command grab or regular throw is a great way to beat it. If FANG is in the corner and you want to pressure, things like st.lk into EX command grab is fucking awesome. If I try to v-reversal the st.lk, I get scooped. If I try to EX dash out of there, I waste meter and I get scooped.

PUNISH ME IF I am playing like a zoning pussy. Again I mentioned this before but make the best out of every situation and if I am just sitting there trying to trap and upball constantly, just stay back and build meter. Always be getting an advantage since FANG can't just quickly and rapidly punish like most characters.

PUNISH ME IF I do a super and you block it. You can do a anti air chain, or just wait for the super to end and then get a full damage jump-in punish. Not that difficult to do, just go into training mode and practice.

Sorry, this turned out REALLY longer than I had anticipated but I like teaching people how to beat my character for some reason.

myco666

That sure is a wall of text. Much appreciated. Going to save this so I can do some work in training mode.

Couple of those points about my play are pretty much the reason I consider my Birdie to be hot trash.

-Lack of Bullhorn. I just can't do it. I have spent lot of time in training trying to get it into combo ender so that I can get better pressure afterwards but just can't do it in a match. Same with using it as a wakeup option but even worse is that I never get it out as a reversal. So unless other player misstimes meaty I will just block because I can't do it.

-I play too safe(ish). This is something that I have made some progress but still is really lacking. I would probably go more for command throws if I weren't so used to need to throw > press lp+lk thought cycle due to playing Ryu so much.

-Lack of V-Skill. This is something I just happen to ignore constantly. Never got used to using V-Skill as a Ryu because it was so risky and still have problems doing it even when I would have all the time in the world to use it.

Ugh I feel I should just drop Birdie and concentrate on someone else.

edit.
top of the page. nice.

edit2.
Oh yeah that AA game. I've been improving alot in that regard. For 6 months I just let everybody jump at me for free. Now I atleast get some of those jumpins stopped lol.

That sure is a wall of text. Much appreciated. Going to save this so I can do some work in training mode.

Couple of those points about my play are pretty much the reason I consider my Birdie to be hot trash.

-Lack of Bullhorn. I just can't do it. I have spent lot of time in training trying to get it into combo ender so that I can get better pressure afterwards but just can't do it in a match. Same with using it as a wakeup option but even worse is that I never get it out as a reversal. So unless other player misstimes meaty I will just block because I can't do it.

-I play too safe(ish). This is something that I have made some progress but still is really lacking. I would probably go more for command throws if I weren't so used to need to throw > press lp+lk thought cycle due to playing Ryu so much.

-Lack of V-Skill. This is something I just happen to ignore constantly. Never got used to using V-Skill as a Ryu because it was so risky and still have problems doing it even when I would have all the time in the world to use it.

Ugh I feel I should just drop Birdie and concentrate on someone else.

edit.
top of the page. nice.

edit2.
Oh yeah that AA game. I've been improving alot in that regard. For 6 months I just let everybody jump at me for free. Now I atleast get some of those jumpins stopped lol.
There's room for improvement but I'm confident you can do it. One good way to practice AAs as Birdie is to play against a character that needs to get in on you, like a mika, Alex, Balrog what have you. In those matchups, just focus on keeping the enemy away with your normals which includes ground normals as well as anti airs. When you spend whole matches just focusing on one particular aspect of your game, the improvement starts to blend into your gameplay and you start doing it without having to actively think about it. The same goes for a lot of stuff, like teching throws,mixups etc.

Getting a jump in that ends with jumper being safe by doing a blocked string into a special is bad enough against most characters, but against FANG it's horrible because if you're poisoned and you take gray damage as well as chip damage, that starts to add up in a longer match where neither party is getting hits in.

You don't have to drop Birdie, you just need more practice. If you aren't even ENJOYING playing as Birdie, that's a whole different story. But as it stands, I think you should spend some time with him, cause he really is fun to play.

EDIT: One thing that's really worth acknowledging is that when you play as a character with little to no defensive options, or completely read based reversal options is that your defense HAS to improve to compensate. Your opponent never has the threat of a wakeup/mid block string DP to worry about so they can go all in and you have to have solid defense to cope.

myco666

There's room for improvement but I'm confident you can do it. One good way to practice AAs as Birdie is to play against a character that needs to get in on you, like a mika, Alex, Balrog what have you. In those matchups, just focus on keeping the enemy away with your normals which includes ground normals as well as anti airs. When you spend whole matches just focusing on one particular aspect of your game, the improvement starts to blend into your gameplay and you start doing it without having to actively think about it. The same goes for a lot of stuff, like teching throws,mixups etc.

Getting a jump in that ends with jumper being safe by doing a blocked string into a special is bad enough against most characters, but against FANG it's horrible because if you're poisoned and you take gray damage as well as chip damage, that starts to add up in a longer match where neither party is getting hits in.

You don't have to drop Birdie, you just need more practice. If you aren't even ENJOYING playing as Birdie, that's a whole different story. But as it stands, I think you should spend some time with him, cause he really is fun to play.

EDIT: One thing that's really worth acknowledging is that when you play as a character with little to no defensive options, or completely read based reversal options is that your defense HAS to improve to compensate. Your opponent never has the threat of a wakeup/mid block string DP to worry about so they can go all in and you have to have solid defense to cope.

I have actually done that kind of training and I beat a Alex player in ft2 by just using cr.mp as AA and mashing cr.lp to push him away so that he needed to get in again. Need to do more of it obviously.

I do like to play Birdie because the feeling of catching people with chains because you got the reads is fantastic. Especially when you get consecutive ones. Also like that he is basically buttons, buttons and buttons with very little execution needed. It is just that I feel like I am garbage with him but I guess I should just try to stick with him.

Coda

R6JPsTM.jpg

How you play Mika in a nutshell.

Coda

Except you do this against a competent Zangief as Mika and you get messed up. cr.jab and his V-Skill make it a no-go in that MU.

This is true, this actually did happen in a match. Don't really know how I pulled it off but it looked super cool.

That feeling when you're regularly winning in a matchup that's given you a lot of trouble before (and taking A LOT of points while doing it).

giphy.gif

Also, here's the best explanation I've seen on how to deal with Mika:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elk5KNK-tIc&feature=youtu.be&t=2h12m17s

More people should watch it.

This is real good. Doesn't apply all characters. For example, this doesn't cover how utterly useless 'Sim is in getting away from the sweet spot. Heck, it even says that if you have a bad V-Trigger, you're hosed. It's really good advise though to everybody having problems with Mika fundamentals.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I go for cr.hp with Karin against the charged dropkick for a free Crush Counter and setup. You can do more than just mash jab. Just have to be ready.

It's actually my best match-up according to V-League lol

Supposed 'low tier' characters like Ibuki and Juri run circles around me. I know it's just because I'm not used to the match ups but I get destroyed by their mix ups.

Looks like I might finally crack Ultra Silver tonight, fingers crossed!

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Supposed 'low tier' characters like Ibuki and Juri run circles around me. I know it's just because I'm not used to the match ups but I get destroyed by their mix ups.

Ibuki has a lot of options and has potential. Juri's special move charging is just bad.

FluxWaveZ

Remember, "tiers" only apply to high level, tournament play. They are meaningless otherwise, and pretty much every character is on an even playing field outside of the top level.

LakeEarth

Remember, "tiers" only apply to high level, tournament play. They are meaningless otherwise, and pretty much every character is on an even playing field outside of the top level.

And I would argue that there's a such thing as low level tier lists as well. The characters that have something they can spam that'll drive new players nuts. Birdie, FANG and Bison all are "bad" at the high level, but when you're in the low ranks, there are strats that a less knowledgeable player will feel helpless against.

Ugh, looks like I spoke too soon about reaching Ultra Silver tonight, I'm almost back down to Silver. This fucking game man.

I keep dying to the same Ryu tactics. What's the best way to prevent cross-ups as Chun?

JayEH

Block in the other direction? I don't know what you mean by prevent them. If they're going for a jump in you'll have to just recognize what they're trying to do and block or anti air accordingly.

LakeEarth

If they're being predictable about it, you can always wait for them to jump again and then dash forward, getting yourself out of the situation entirely.

Producer

Ugh, looks like I spoke too soon about reaching Ultra Silver tonight, I'm almost back down to Silver. This fucking game man.

I keep dying to the same Ryu tactics. What's the best way to prevent cross-ups as Chun?

dash towards, bHK or ex sbk. Jump back air to air works too. Her normal sLK anti air doesnt stuff crossups

Top Bottom