• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

MrCarter

Am I the only one that thought SFIV looked amazing when it came out? I will preface that, by saying SFIII had completely bypassed me infact I thought SFIII was SF-EX. (Probably due to the lack of an arcade scene in West England) So Alpha to 4 was where I was looking, or comparing it to the previous gens fighting games and it looked fantastic. That said going back to IV now, I am shocked at how bad it looks compared to V.

This makes me depressed.

FluxWaveZ

Come back home. Maybe I'll play some online later today and test some stuff out.
We will perform server maintenance from 11am to 5pm on 6/27 PDT. Thank you for your patience and support.
Oh, okay.

Ucchedavāda;241933956 said:
Maintenance today, and according to JP CFN they are preparing (?) to deliver DLC:

It's crazy that the entire thing needs to be taken down for this long to add a few costumes.

Come back home. Maybe I'll play some online later today and test some stuff out.

Oh, okay.

It's crazy that the entire thing needs to be taken down for this long to add a few costumes.

I have to ask. What were in the notes? That was the most entertaining tournament I've watched.

Am I the only one that thought SFIV looked amazing when it came out? I will preface that, by saying SFIII had completely bypassed me infact I thought SFIII was SF-EX. (Probably due to the lack of an arcade scene in West England) So Alpha to 4 was where I was looking, or comparing it to the previous gens fighting games and it looked fantastic. That said going back to IV now, I am shocked at how bad it looks compared to V.
I thought the art style looked bad especially compared to the cgi reveal trailer, and the character models were roided out he-man dolls. SFV the models actually look good besides Ken's face. I blame Ono for the goofy look of SF4...

FluxWaveZ

I have to ask. What were in the notes? That was the most entertaining tournament I've watched.

1. Player habits and play style.
2. Tying into habits, what they tend to do after specific situations.
3. Player CFNs, how much they play online, online win percentages against Karin, R. Mika, Dhalsim (pretty useless, but used as a point of reference).
4. Best choice of player on my team to go against another player, based on their style and tendencies.
5. How they typically react to Mika's 50/50 situations, depending on when and how they occur.

Stuff like that. Going into it, I didn't think too much of the notes, and I just made them as an extra means of preparation, but they helped me out way more than I thought they would. For LES, actually, my notes were very weak. I'll be able to make better notes for everyone next time; this was a success.

I could be wrong but I dont think SF5 is gonna age as badly as SF4 did. The animations in particular are God-tier.
SF4 always looked ugly to me, especially since that was what was following SF3. SF5 was the first time I'm finding Street Fighter come into its own with polygonal visuals.

Sayad

1. Player habits and play style.
2. Tying into habits, what they tend to do after specific situations.
3. Player CFNs, how much they play online, online win percentages against Karin, R. Mika, Dhalsim (pretty useless, but used as a point of reference).
4. Best choice of player on my team to go against another player, based on their style and tendencies.
5. How they typically react to Mika's 50/50 situations, depending on when and how they occur.

Stuff like that. Going into it, I didn't think too much of the notes, and I just made them as an extra means of preparation, but they helped me out way more than I thought they would. For LES, actually, my notes were very weak. I'll be able to make better notes for everyone next time; this was a success.
Notes are always helpful:
CKSpMRoVEAQcf7U.jpg

MrCarter

SF4 always looked ugly to me, especially since that was what was following SF3. SF5 was the first time I'm finding Street Fighter come into its own with polygonal visuals.

I remember when the first time the SFIV logo was teased on their website back in 2008 (?) and I was SO excited thinking in my head (PLEASE BE SPRITES, PLEASE BE SPRITES) then it turned out to be...yeah. You're right that SFV is the first time the series looks great in 3D. Have to commend Capcom on that at the very least.

tumblr_npsuldsaej1sq2xoeo1_500.gif

ElFly

SF4 looks like such a robotic, stiff, stilted piece of shit these days.It's unwatchable (and unplayable). I don't know how I ever liked how it looked.

I never liked SF4. I still endured it and played some of the good characters but it always felt wrong, and always looked ugly as hell

upon touching SFV it immediately felt right in how a 3d street fighter should look and feel

Pompadour

I wonder if it'll be just costumes.

What's weirder is that there's a new CPT stage so you'd figure it would be put in the game before Evo so it can be used at Evo. That's how it worked last year, at least.

We might get an early July update opposed to the big post Evo update with Abigail everyone is expecting.

Blueblur1

Yeah... The GDC presentation confirmed that for SFV Capcom put a lot of time and effort into the art. Infinite looks like its being pushed out the door with ugly outsourced models and stages. Not tweaking or enhancing. Its such a stark contrast.

Someone get the CEO of Capcom on the phone cuz he and his boys are still fucking up.

upon touching SFV it immediately felt right in how a 3d street fighter should look and feel

yes that immediate 8f delay feel yassss, that natural yellow bar connection type feel yass just how it should feel

laura's hair still piercing her through her body on the character select screen since the early betas yass, ken's face, alex' legs yass nailed the look

nded

The character models from Super SFIV onwards seemed to get progressively better. The Vanilla models are super awkward though, and it's a shame they never touched them up. The biggest issue I have with SFIV is how flat and washed out the color palette is. I usually end up turning the ink effect on in the PC version for some visual contrast.

ElFly

yes that immediate 8f delay feel yassss, that natural yellow bar connection type feel yass just how it should feel

laura's hair still piercing her through her body on the character select screen since the early betas yass, ken's face, alex' legs yass nailed the look

and somehow still light years from sf4

Village

I remember when the first time the SFIV logo was teased on their website back in 2008 (?) and I was SO excited thinking in my head (PLEASE BE SPRITES, PLEASE BE SPRITES) then it turned out to be...yeah. You're right that SFV is the first time the series looks great in 3D. Have to commend Capcom on that at the very least.

tumblr_npsuldsaej1sq2xoeo1_500.gif

Why does that gif look better than marvel infinite.

Like all of it

MrCarter

Why does that gif look better than marvel infinite.

Like all of it

I mean, I understand they are two different games and MvC games don't need to have as much animation or visual effects as a mainline Street Fighter, but my goodness did they drop the ball after how great MvC3 looked for it's time. Hopefully it looks better upon release.

mbpm1

One thing i noticed when trying sfv is that it felt like it lacked a certain snap. It still does. I miss the snap.
What sfv gained in some areas it lost in that immediate responsiveness for me

I don't know what it is, but i see it when comparing sf4 guile to sfv

Village

I mean, I understand they are two different games and MvC games don't need to have as much animation or visual effects as a mainline Street Fighter, but my goodness then they drop the ball after how great MvC3 looked for it's time. Hopefully it looks better upon release.

I mean I actually know the answer. They had more time with SF, and didn't make it house, and had a bunch of foreign animators and modelers make it. And MvCI is made in house, they hadn't done that in a while, and probably didn't have enough time, I imagine after waiting over a decade for square enix to give nomura enough time to actually start KH3 because square enix wants nomura to do everything, and he can't so he does nothing. They probably want products out faster, and that's why we have what we got.

Its just really, really REALLY jarring. When I see things of SFV look great, then I look at marvel infinite.

MrCarter

I mean I actually know the answer. They had more time with SF, and didn't make it house, and had a bunch of foreign animators and modelers make it. And MvCI is made in house, they hadn't done that in a while, and probably didn't have enough time, I imagine after waiting over a decade for square enix to give nomura enough time to actually start KH3 because square enix wants nomura to do everything, and he can't so he does nothing. They probably want products out faster, and that's why we have what we got.

Its just really, really REALLY jarring. When I see things of SFV look great, then I look at marvel infinite.

Nope most of SFV was done in-house too. I think a few things were outsourced, like some characters models and possibly stages by artists from France and Malaysia, but most of he heavy work was done in-house I believe. The GDC panel also indicates this as it highlights how close to the development process they were in creating the game.

http://gdcvault.com/play/1024558/Art-Direction-of-Street-Fighter

One thing i noticed when trying sfv is that it felt like it lacked a certain snap. It still does. I miss the snap.
What sfv gained in some areas it lost in that immediate responsiveness for me

I don't know what it is, but i see it when comparing sf4 guile to sfv

I think i know what you mean because I feel the the opposite.

mbpm1

Nope most of SFV was done in-house too. I think a few things were outsourced, like some characters models and possibly stages by artists from France and Malaysia, but most of he heavy work was done in-house I believe. The GDC panel also indicates this as it highlights how close to the development process they were in creating the game.

http://gdcvault.com/play/1024558/Art-Direction-of-Street-Fighter
So there was in fact no benefit to doing it in house?

I don't mind Marvel looking worse since that game has a bunch of shit going on at once versus SFV.

I do mind the goddamn models looking like butt, the CA, and the dumb looking UI. I think it's going to look better than the Versus build, but I don't have high hopes about the animations and the faces tbh.

MrCarter

So there was in fact no benefit to doing it in house?

I'm think it's more of a time issue. Most game companies nowadays out source a LOT of their stuff (like Bloodborne, which outsourced around 70% of their art assets) so it's pretty much a common thing.

He wasn't involved with SFIV, though.

http://shoryuken.com/2015/12/28/evo...e-working-as-street-fighter-v-battle-planner/

Of course, he didn’t just fall into this position. A quick scan of the Moby Games database and other credit sources reveals that Shigeno previously worked as a tester on Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, both versions of Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Street Fighter x Tekken, and early iterations of Street Fighter IV. He most recently worked as part of Ultra Street Fighter IV’s content analysis team.

involved enough to catch the blame tbh

Top Bottom