• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Sayad

giphy.gif
This GIF failed its purpose, it looks better animated there than it does in the game, between the slow motion, motion blur and not including the start up with the jump ark to show the jarring shift in momentum and how stiff the spinning animation is compared to everything else, it misses a lot of what make that animation the worst in the game. ;p

Neoxon

Yeah and it sucks, because almost every fighting game uses it and PS4 is the dominant platform. I really hope people at Epic or whatever are working on improving this or atleast assist these developers on bringing it down.
I'd imagine that everyone would move to XB1 if SFV wasn't locked to PS4.

Sayad

DBFZ is the ultimate litmus test. That's UE4. If that has input lag on PS4 closer to SFV (5.3 frames according to Noodalls, 6 frames according to DisplayLag) than Xrd (3.5 frames Noodalls, 4.2 frames DisplayLag) it's definitely UE4.

It wont be, most standard UE4 post processing stuff are disabled in DBF, like Xrd, almost everything you see is backed in, they're mainly using UE4 for it's dev tools, not tech features. If it does end up at something like SFV's level of lag it would be a huge fuck up by ASW... Or them just adding more buffer for the net code!

FYI, "Phoenix" is trying to pass a screenshot of night time Brazil stage off as something he or she datamined.

https://twitter.com/4everbuffy/status/879684507984687104

But it's clearly the mod from a year ago.

http://i.imgur.com/HtwqTKp.jpg

LOL.
Both EventHubs and Kotaku wrote articles about that mod:
https://kotaku.com/street-fighter-v-mod-hits-the-light-switch-on-all-stage-1771165646
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016...time-mod-gives-its-stages-whole-new-ambiance/

I do wonder why it takes so long for people to discover shit with SFV now. I guess most people moved on that were interested in digging through the files.

This GIF failed its purpose, it looks better animated there than it does in the game, between the slow motion, motion blur and not including the start up with the jump ark to show the jarring shift in momentum and how stiff the spinning animation is compared to everything else, it misses a lot of what make that animation the worst in the game. ;p
0rbHw3f.gif

What do the tests on IJ2 and MKX say? Those are both UE3 as well.

IJ2 and MKX at 5.3 and 5.4 frames respectively (pretty much the same then)

Though it is worth mentioning that it is a HEAVILY modified version of UE3, I wouldn't be surprised if it's essentially a different beast at this point.

Blueblur1

Capcom has gone back and tweaked things in the game so hopefully Cammy gets an improved animation in Season 3.
I'm so happy the shadow dithering is largely gone.

Skilletor

The strangest thing is that Gief's new animations look fine.

It just kind of exemplifies current Capcom to me.

Their mistakes are emphasized way more than anything good they do.

Game full of AMAZING animation? Whatever, let me use this one gif to show that SF5 now, apparently, doesn't have great animation.

0rbHw3f.gif

IJ2 and MKX at 5.3 and 5.4 frames respectively (pretty much the same then)

Though it is worth mentioning that it is a HEAVILY modified version of UE3, I wouldn't be surprised if it's essentially a different beast at this point.

Hmm, yeah. I think it's just a Capcom thing. I believe that both MvC3 and MvCI on PS4 have the same input delay and both are on different engines.

JusDoIt

do people complain less cuz the fastest moves are like 10 frames in that game

Remember how in season 1 people were saying 8 frames of lag made it humanly impossible to react to Nash's 17 frame dash because it only gave you 9 frames to react from startup?

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016...rent-only-reasons-why-it-gets-you-every-time/

Also, Core-A Gaming recently did an interview with Tekken 7 pros Saint and JDCR and they said T7's lag is a problem:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1393084

Shadoken

do people complain less cuz the fastest moves are like 10 frames in that game

I never really understood the logic behind this.

So what if the fastest move has a 10f startup. Its not like people in SFV are reacting to the startup of a throw or a Jab and deciding whether to block or tech. Nobody is reacting to 3f and 5f moves regardless of that 5f,4f or 6f of input lag

The only thing this affects is whiff punishing and moves in SF also have > 10f of Startup/Active and Recorver frames. And shit like Dashes and Jumps which are very much >10f.

It's different in Tekken, but it still matters. As Saint and JDCR said, it messes up their movement, so they are afraid to do shit like sidestepping. And as you know, movement is a huge deal in Tekken. So altering your gameplan around the input lag trying to avoid linear attacks and getting caught on them is a big deal.

But I've seen people downplay it. "Oh SFV is 8frames of lag so it isn't as bad." Motherfucker do you want your game to be better? SFV gets a lot of shit and a lot of memes, but when it comes down to other games fucking up, it's "at least it's not SFV" which is a horrible precedent to set, even if you hate SFV. You want your game to be the best it can be. Don't sugarcoat it just because you want your game to seem immaculate compared to SFV.

Same with Tekken 7's awful online connections for the PS4, it's barebones online options, and lack of content. I want every fighting game, SFV, Tekken, Gundam, and all the rest included, to be the best fighters they can be. And all the shitflinging at one game prevents honest discussions.

Village

is it really

It isn't

People still love tekken and injustice and shitting on street fighter

Ya'll sound like that Ex watching stalking their old partner and watching them with their new partner, talking about how they ain't shit and what do they have that i don't. Mean while not realizing you have been stalking someone all day not doing anything productive, But they ain't shit though, they'll come back... right?

MrCarter

It's different in Tekken, but it still matters. As Saint and JDCR said, it messes up their movement, so they are afraid to do shit like sidestepping. And as you know, movement is a huge deal in Tekken. So altering your gameplan around the input lag trying to avoid linear attacks and getting caught on them is a big deal.

I wonder what hasbeen Aris thinks of this. Probably ignorant to it and if it's brought up I'm pretty sure he will downplay it too.

I wonder what hasbeen Aris thinks of this. Probably ignorant to it and if it's brought up I'm pretty sure he will downplay it too.
He brushed it off and said the source (noodals) wasn't really trustworthy.

The only legit time Aris has ever said anything bad about T7 is when he laughed at somebody for saying Bamco didn't have enough time to add modes to T7.

I think Aris said the PS4 version was butt? In not sure. But at the very least I've seen pro players mention it. It's just parts of the community who try and shrug it off.

It sucks because I really like Tekken and I want both my games to be optimal.

Edit: I'm wrong apparently!

SFV now is definitely better than T7 now but ever? Even worse than SFV at launch?

Reminder that SFV launched with
  • Character stories
  • Survival mode (the only way to unlock colors; server disconnects lost your progress)
  • Training mode (that didn't save your settings)
  • PvP, but no PvCPU
  • Limited CFN functionality
  • Replays (+1 for SFV!)
  • 2 person lobbies only
  • Single match casual/ranked matches
  • No DInput support (PC)
  • No way to change keyboard bindings (PC; still the case)
  • No rage-quitting punishment

Some specific parts of SFV may have been better than T7 at launch, but blanket statements to that effect are patently absurd.

Pompadour

Slight exaggeration, but T7 should be getting more flack.

I agree completely. It's been playable in arcades for years, watched SFV eat shit for over a year, and they still made a lot of the same mistakes (and new ones). It is very odd that they aren't getting nearly as much flack, as if the quality of the game isn't the driving force behind the hate.

But I'm a pedant so I need to call things like that out even if I agree with the overall sentiment.

VariantX

I agree completely. It's been playable in arcades for years, watched SFV eat shit for over a year, and they still made a lot of the same mistakes (and new ones). It is very odd that they aren't getting nearly as much flack, as if the quality of the game isn't the driving force behind the hate.

But I'm a pedant so I need to call things like that out even if I agree with the overall sentiment.

SFV is effectively giving every other non-capcom fighter cover because of how poor it's launch was. It's like the Jupiter of the FG solar system and it's eating and deflecting the majority of the asteroids from the smaller inner planets.

Top Bottom