• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Naarmight

To be fair new CA's would be a huge reveal for Capcom Cup. I still doubt it, but I would love a new V-Skill for Mika

Also played a bit over the weekend, 2 rage quits in ranked. The second annoyed me as I actually got the K.O. before he quit, I mean come on Capcom that game is finished give me the win. I mean thinking about it, he just switched the console off after he lost, so is that even a rage quit?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Lag switcher, Jongod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqICYEhGR7M&feature=youtu.be

Going right back to Tekken once the CPT challenge is completed.
When I use my lag switch I make sure to do it during the character intros and then totally at random throughout the match. Gives me that winning edge.

On a totally unrelated note, have you ever voluntarily played a match against a gaffer or do you not want to be told definitively that your connection is busted?

When I use my lag switch I make sure to do it during the character intros and then totally at random throughout the match. Gives me that winning edge.

On a totally unrelated note, have you ever voluntarily played a match against a gaffer or do you not want to be told definitively that your connection is busted?

I faced Flux and on his side he said the connection was fine from Orlando and Canada. I faced Edzi, connection was good. I faced Pr Rog, BrolyLegs, Mike Ross, GentlemenThief and other matches that where recorded on Twitch and connection were solid on both sides.

So why am I who has a high end PC who gets and average of 15ms in CSGO is etting low quality matches 80% of the time?

Maybe because it's not on my side and instead the people I play. Have you ever played an online game that is a Fps that shows your ping?

Have you ever saw a laggy player and saw his 100+ ping and say "I guess it's on my side"?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I faced Flux and on his side he said the connection was fine from Orlando and Canada. I faced Edzi, connection was good. I faced Pr Rog, BrolyLegs, Mike Ross, GentlemenThief and other matches that where recorded on Twitch and connection were solid on both sides.

So why am I who has a high end PC who gets and average of 15ms in CSGO is etting low quality matches 80% of the time?

Maybe because it's not on my side and instead the people I play. Have you ever played an online game that is a Fps that shows your ping?

Have you ever saw a laggy player and saw his 100+ ping and say "I guess it's on my side"?
What you need to explain is why 80% of your matches are bad, which is presumably a much higher rate than anyone else in this thread. If everyone chimes in and says "yeah that's how bad it is for me too," then I will shut up about it. If not, your experience is an anomaly and placing 100% of the blame on the game doesn't make sense, even if other games work better for you.

What you need to explain is why 80% of your matches are bad, which is presumably a much higher rate than anyone else in this thread. If everyone chimes in and says "yeah that's how bad it is for me too," then I will shut up about it. If not, your experience is an anomaly and placing 100% of the blame on the game doesn't make sense, even if other games work better for you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/6rvi4l/an_explanation_of_the_current_netcode/

An explanation of the state of the netcode. It's in line with Mike Z said and the creator of ggpo.

And digital foundry compared playing offline and online showing fps drop only happening on the Ps4 because of the cpu bottleneck.

Animations are also tied to the cpu and is why the grid is played in the online cpt.

X-Kira's proof of his claims that there are indeed new V-skills and CAs coming. And that not only that, we'll be able to pick and choose which V-skill, V-reversal, V-Trigger and CA we want. So you could say have Chun-Li's current CA and V-Trigger, but use her new V-skill and V-reversal if you wanted.

Facebook Post: https://www.facebook.com/shinxkira/posts/466145633768338

Youtube vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTHzVOp2TBE

Twitter post: https://twitter.com/Mikami_XKira/status/917351075937734656

MEGATON if true. This would allow an incredible degree of character choice. It kinda does make sense because I believe he's basing it off the script that handles the data sent to the server. And if that's the case then why have separate variables for CA and V-reversal and V-skill since that should all be handled by a single variable for V-Trigger if it is indeed locked. The fact that it isn't implies that you can indeed choose different ones.

Blueblur1

So if we're also getting new CAs then why are the Shinryuken and Kikosho seemingly V-Triggers? That makes no sense.

I don't think that means SFV won't be getting new CAs. In SFV the SF dev team has been trying a lot of different things with the older characters such as changing Ken's Shoryureppa to just a HP DP while making a brand new move for his CA. So Kikosho being delegated to V-Trigger status doesn't necessarily mean new CAs aren't coming.

I imagine the dev team wants to continue to create brand new super moves instead of reiterating on existing ones.

So they made a version of the UI that only has the new v-trigger just so they could reveal all those other things over the next three months? I doubt that.
I do believe that they added the capability for those extra options, but I'd speculate that it was more of a "might as well add that while we're in here just in case we want to add those things in the future" situation.

Pompadour

X-Kira's proof of his claims that there are indeed new V-skills and CAs coming. And that not only that, we'll be able to pick and choose which V-skill, V-reversal, V-Trigger and CA we want. So you could say have Chun-Li's current CA and V-Trigger, but use her new V-skill and V-reversal if you wanted.

MEGATON if true. This would allow an incredible degree of character choice.

It would be weird if the "casual friendly" SFV made you choose 4 different options at the character select. I guess it would be fine if all the V-stuff was tied to a set.

Although it would be better if each character got both V-Reversals simultaneously.

I don't think that means SFV won't be getting new CAs. In SFV the SF dev team has been trying a lot of different things with the older characters such as changing Ken's Shoryureppa to just a HP DP while making a brand new move for his CA. So Kikosho being delegated to V-Trigger status doesn't necessarily mean new CAs aren't coming.

I imagine the dev team wants to continue to create brand new super moves instead of reiterating on existing ones.

That isn't so much my concern. It's more that it would be weird if a V-Trigger was just an extra super and nothing else. I know that's technically what Urien's V-Trigger is now but that move's goal isn't just doing raw damage.

I guess that they could be install type VTs and they change character's specials temporarily a la Akuma.

So they made a version of the UI that only has the new v-trigger just so they could reveal all those other things over the next three months? I doubt that.
I do believe that they added the capability for those extra options, but I'd speculate that it was more of a "might as well add that while we're in here just in case we want to add those things in the future" situation.
This is also a valid possibility. Setting up the potential for a "pick and choose" system later on.

Do people think it's Shinryuken because Chun is getting Kikosho or is there another picture of Ken I didn't see?
There was a picture of what looked like a V-Trigger activation (the lines of colour splashes circling the character) with Ken cocking his fist back to probably do a shoryu.

Blueblur1

Or maybe they can toggle UI elements on and off. I could see them toggling the CA-selection UI elements off and then taking screenshots.

Chun could have her v trigger juggle or do something different. It's not like they'll be cienamatics like cas where you activate it and just get a knockdown

mbpm1

Kolins new vskill hopefully is actually good enough to merit a switch. Not sure what they would do. A command dash might be nice if boring. A throw parry would be fun, but probably not helpful to any real extent beyond being fun
Get new vtrigger could be a generic power up speed update or something I guess

jett

D-Member

MEGATON if true. This would allow an incredible degree of character choice. It kinda does make sense because I believe he's basing it off the script that handles the data sent to the server. And if that's the case then why have separate variables for CA and V-reversal and V-skill since that should all be handled by a single variable for V-Trigger if it is indeed locked. The fact that it isn't implies that you can indeed choose different ones.

So we're going to be able to choose from four different gameplay options before a fight?
This isn't going to happen. It would make the game super complicated to balance and to play, it's counter to Capcom's design mentality for it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/6rvi4l/an_explanation_of_the_current_netcode/

An explanation of the state of the netcode. It's in line with Mike Z said and the creator of ggpo.

And digital foundry compared playing offline and online showing fps drop only happening on the Ps4 because of the cpu bottleneck.

Animations are also tied to the cpu and is why the grid is played in the online cpt.
I already know it's one-sided and non-random. I'm not arguing that the netcode is good. I'm arguing that it's worse for you than other people. How does what you've posted explain why you have more terrible matches than other people? Or are you implicitly arguing that all of us have 80% bad matches and we don't know it because they're mostly rolling back for our opponent?

I don't know why people are saying Shinryuken aside from it looking like his Shinryuken start up animation in SF4.
Ah okay I saw that picture. I guess it makes sense to give everyone with a power up vtrigger an attack vtrigger and vice versa.

If they make you mash the button to get more damage I will not be using it. Too old for that shit.

HardRojo

I don't see Capcom letting you choose 4 systems before the match starts, at least not for SFV. It would take a bit more time during tournaments and the casual players will be even more confused. I can see them letting you choose a V-Trigger and a CA, but not more than that.

ibrahima

Banned
Just because something is configurable within their development tools it does not necessarily mean that capcom are going to go ahead with new V Skills or CAs in arcade edition at this point in time.

We've had plenty of things that were half left in various versions of SF4 and SFV that either never saw the light of day or came out in a different form than originally assumed (for instance, a number of animations used in SF4 Omega like Ken's shippu ex move were seen as partially finished animations that were disabled in ultra SF4's original release).

XKira gets a lot of attention, and I'm sure they mean well by mining for info in SFV, but let's not jump to conclusions that we are definitely going to get something. They have a habit of taking stuff from the debug menus and turning it into a ten minute video that treats this as 100% confirmation we'll see it in an imminent update. We saw the first leaks for arcade mode and ex battle last year!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm fine with complex mix and match options but I agree it seems kind of unlikely they'd dump all those features in at once. I definitely don't think xkira has any reason to be confident about the timing of these features being released.

Adding another v-trigger is already gonna make things confusing for casuals.

I say add it all. Two of each is fine with me, maybe you could package the vskill/v-reversal together, but let me mix and match.

Or maybe they can toggle UI elements on and off. I could see them toggling the CA-selection UI elements off and then taking screenshots.
It's not like they didn't toggle off elements in the UI for the screenshots - they left Zeku's slot blacked out. They are obviously doctoring the slots to only reveal what they want to reveal. Also, they have straight up said there is more to announce.

Also, lots of what X-Kira is digging up now got recently added to the game, and much of it has been accurate to what SFV AE has announced so far, and lots of that info came from datamining things. Yeah, Arcade Mode & Extra Battle got datamined last year, but it wasn't until very recently where he saw that they were planning multiple paths for Arcade Mode, or that UI slots for multiple VTs & other things were also coming.

I agree that he jumps the gun on release timing for things. But the actual content he is digging up is there, no question about it. What we do know is Capcom has very emphatically said that there is more to announce for SFV AE & that they'd be doing so in the near future. Its certainly a possibility.

Adding another v-trigger is already gonna make things confusing for casuals.

I say add it all. Two of each is fine with me, maybe you could package the vskill/v-reversal together, but let me mix and match.

One of the highest selling fighting games of the last decade & one of the most casual-appealing fighting in the last decade, MKX, featured a variable system where characters were changed fairly significantly, to the point where learning each of the versions was like learning a new character. Casuals don't really care about picking that kinda stuff - if anything, they just want things that look flashy, cool, & are fun to use in-game.

They finally gonna reset ranked now? Would also be a pretty good time to add BP.

That's an awful, awful idea. The individual character ranks would be fine, but putting people who aren't casuals and having them face people who are while climbing the ranks is going to scare off more people than it would benefit.

mbpm1

That's an awful, awful idea. The individual character ranks would be fine, but putting people who aren't casuals and having them face people who are while climbing the ranks is going to scare off more people than it would benefit.
Nah we all rookies in the end Kappa

Then add in placements in the meantime like KI or OW.

Just hope the v skills aren't some universal option...
Like everyone gets parry if they want. Nothing against 3rd strike, but I'm hype for more originality now.

Nah we all rookies in the end Kappa

Plat is the new Bronze

Almost hit Gold then I tanked when I started playing Bison. Down to Super Sliver FML

Then add in placements in the meantime like KI or OW.

Remind me how KI does it? OW placements I get, but I don't see the reasoning in adding another set of tiers for skill levels.

Probably this.

I mean, they CAN do it by having selectable sets or something to bypass a lot of the flipping through. But at the same time, as others have said, this means tournaments are gonna take longer.

Remind me how KI does it? OW placements I get, but I don't see the reasoning in adding another set of tiers for skill levels.
As i posted in the previous SF OTs.

Wow, Killer Instinct has a pretty nice system for Ranked:

4 Leagues: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Killer

You can let the system decide which league to put you in by playing 10 matches. The outcomes of those matches decided which league you get put in. You can requalify once every month (if you want to).

Regular Ranked matches match you up with opponents of any skill level, but the final match that lets you rank up HAS to be played with people from either your rank or above. You CAN'T rank down.

Bronze and Silver matches are Bo1, but Gold and Killer matches are Bo3 without a choice. So you can't just win one and then bolt, you have to finish the Bo3 AND WIN else you get no points.

This system is so nice man, there's no pressure involved since there's really nothing to lose if you lose matches. Points can be gotten back and it all feels like you're working towards something (Killer rank). Just got to Gold there myself so I'm having a ton of fun playing ranked in that mode. Certainly helps that everything is so snappy and works so well.

The fear of 'losing progress" by ranking down really makes SFV Ranked matches feel very stressful for some.
There are monthly ranking of the top 32 players who are there given a permanent star on their account to indicate that they made it to top 32. Those rankings reset every month, and if you made it into KIller leage but you've been inactive for a few weeks then you're automatically demoted to Gold and have to work your way back up.

Sayad

Nah, just add placement games at the start of the season. New season is a big incentive to start playing ranked again, asked OW players(until you get placed lower than your past season rank into elo hell). ;p

OW is a team based game though, so it's legitimately possible for you to spend a decent amount of time at ranks that are legit below you because you keep getting shitty teammates or rage quitters or assholes.

First time I did the placement in KI, I got put in Bronze. A few days later, I was on the cusp of making it to Killer. A placement system is not at all bad for fighting games since even if it puts you into a rank that's not accurate for you, it won't take particularly long for you to get demoted or upgraded to the rank that is legitimately fitting your skill level.

That sounds neat af. Since it's easy to leave those ranks and you don't lose anything by losing, people wouldn't get stressed from losses. How do players keep consistency then? Like, I'm simplifying everything, but let's say 10 wins is a rank up. When you can rank up by winning 10 times at any point before the reset, how does that keep me consistent in terms of skill? I could just get those wins and not actually be consistent, and that's something I appreciate in current ranked games in other fighters, even if ranked is stressful in return.

Edit: Oh, the placements are every month. That's helpful! Is there any other way to stay consistent though? Guess you could argue that being stressed isn't really a format of consistency.

That sounds neat af. Since it's easy to leave those ranks and you don't lose anything by losing, people wouldn't get stressed from losses. How do players keep consistency then? Like, I'm simplifying everything, but let's say 10 wins is a rank up. When you can rank up by winning 10 times at any point before the reset, how does that keep me consistent in terms of skill? I could just get those wins and not actually be consistent, and that's something I appreciate in current ranked games in other fighters, even if ranked is stressful in return.
You plateau. The way the system basically works is that Bronze and Silver are treated as the beginner leagues. Gold is like almost good but not quite there. Then Killer is where the real competition begins, where you HAVE to remain consistent in order to get wins and get enough points to make to the top 32 at the end of the month. If you don't play in Killer at all, then you get dropped back to gold.

I don't think you get demoted back to your old rank (at least I've never lost that hard to know) but the way the system works, just getting out of your rank and into your next one is an achievement in itself and makes the level of competition harder. If you want to keep progressing then you have to get better. This is especially noticeable when you go from Silver to Gold, where you'll start facing more regular Killers as well as fellow Golds.

It's a system where there's only one "REAL" league and the others are just the pits where you train and improve to the point where you get to fight with the Gladiators. It's a VERY good system IMO.

It could be an anti-fireball move with it had better recovery maybe. Or maybe grab on reaction like a counter or something wholly stupid.

You plateau. The way the system basically works is that Bronze and Silver are treated as the beginner leagues. Gold is like almost good but not quite there. Then Killer is where the real competition begins, where you HAVE to remain consistent in order to get wins and get enough points to make to the top 32 at the end of the month. If you don't play in Killer at all, then you get dropped back to gold.

I don't think you get demoted back to your old rank (at least I've never lost that hard to know) but the way the system works, just getting out of your rank and into your next one is an achievement in itself and makes the level of competition harder. If you want to keep progressing then you have to get better. This is especially noticeable when you go from Silver to Gold, where you'll start facing more regular Killers as well as fellow Golds.

That's a good system. With money on the line and getting de-ranked, SFV makes things super stressful. Even if this was a separate mode, I'd love playing it so I'm not stressing.

SooA streaming Juri:
https://twitch.tv/zzamtiger0310

They should dump that move entirely. I can't imagine how they'd make it good. Getting a full TAP off in a real match is 1000x more likely than a Mika fully charging her V-Skill.

The point of her V-skill isn't to get full charge...that's just a novelty.

The real use is the armor, V-gauge gain, the level 1 buff on her throws (which hurts), and to get people to stop running away from her.

Sayad

OW is a team based game though, so it's legitimately possible for you to spend a decent amount of time at ranks that are legit below you because you keep getting shitty teammates or rage quitters or assholes.

First time I did the placement in KI, I got put in Bronze. A few days later, I was on the cusp of making it to Killer. A placement system is not at all bad for fighting games since even if it puts you into a rank that's not accurate for you, it won't take particularly long for you to get demoted or upgraded to the rank that is legitimately fitting your skill level.
Placement system can be much more accurate for fighting game than something like OW, yea. It would be more accurate if they kept the previous season rank in mind during placement(like beating an ex-diamond being better than beating an ex-bronze during placement).

Pachinko

I don't mean to be a killjoy but I'll be very surprised if we get a whole gamut of new moves with the vtrigger changes.

On one hand, it makes sense to give characters a couple of changes (ala SF3 with it's super art select) BUT those take time to add and can be difficult to balance.

Instead , as this IS capcom we're talking about , I think there's a high chance ALL we get is what they've shown - new Vtriggers. In this way despite the nifty looking new animations , they don't have to go back and tweak things extensively and rebalance the entire game around them so much. They just serve a single unique purpose that differs slightly from the way they worked before. Otherwise , vskill and CA behave the same way because of how SFV operates in general.

Someone above mentioned Chun having Kikosho as a new trigger and well, that's a single use big damage reaction attack. In other words you could consider it a defensive damage burst , sort of a back off attack. Just like it was in 4 really , if you're playing against a Chun and they have full trigger you have to be a little more careful with jumping in or you might get punished. Compared to the more offensive timer buff that gives you more hits , which is clearly a rush down assist. Does anything else really have to change there ? you basically choose Vtrigger based entirely on whether you want a defensive option or not.

Given SFV's structure (it's mostly rushdown friendly across the board) I actually wonder if ALL of the vtriggers will simply lead to a defensive option that doesnt' exist in the current system. Even that picture of Mika's where Nadeshiko has the chair , perhaps you can pop that one while under attack and it acts like a counter move like a tag in during a wrestling match.

It's all speculation for now but I've learned with Capcom and SFV in particular to hope for the best but expect the cheapest solution. This , in spite of season 2 going a route quite different from what I was expecting (you may recall I was sadly thinking they'd just throw in story mode models for all the new characters and they'd use animations recycled from the rest of the cast and character 6 would just be voilent ken)... I'm glad I was wrong there and I would love to be incorrect here too.

Top Bottom