• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Edzi

While you can't go wrong with all Japanese VA, picking and choosing is the best imo. Urien and Alex are fantastic in English, and I've also set Menat, Cammy, Birdie, Balrog, and Ed to English too since it seems to fit them.

Oddly enough, I always keep Guile Japanese even though he's the most American of the bunch. I need to hear "Sonic Bewm" and "SUMMUHSAHT".

avengers-civil-war-logo-gif.gif

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
.........Which ones do you keep?
I guess it's mostly the original SF2 cast that I actively make the choice for JPN VO. I think I have a lot of the DLC characters still set to English.

I don't want to hear Ken say "I've reached my boiling point" because that's fucking stupid. I don't want any repetitive barks to be English phrases that I understand because repetitive barks are inherently stupid to me, but obviously necessary as cues in a fighting game.

At least if they're in a language I don't know they feel more like the old days of Japanese games which I have nostalgia for.

You try fighting Ryus and Kens for 5 matches straight XD.
Still happens pretty often. There is no escape. Fortunately, Ryu is not scary at all this season whereas he used to plague me in season 1. Kens are a wild card.

Neoxon

I guess it's mostly the original SF2 cast that I actively make the choice for JPN VO. I think I have a lot of the DLC characters still set to English.

I don't want to hear Ken say "I've reached my boiling point" because that's fucking stupid. I don't want any repetitive barks to be English phrases that I understand because repetitive barks are inherently stupid to me, but obviously necessary as cues in a fighting game.

At least if they're in a language I don't know they feel more like the old days of Japanese games which I have nostalgia for.
So you have Guile, Balrog, Dhalsim, Zangief, Vega, Cammy, & Chun-Li (nobody should deny Laura Bailey if she’s an option for a character’s VA) on Japanese?

........Bruh

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So you have Guile, Balrog, Dhalsim, Zangief, Vega, Cammy, & Chun-Li (nobody should deny Laura Bailey if she's an option for a character's VA) on Japanese?

........Bruh

Laura Bailey's Chun performance in this game is fucking trash. She sounds like a timid child, not the strongest woman in the world. She's one of the first examples I'd give as to why I picked JPN voices.

I should also note that I don't give the slightest fuck about the story or characters of SF so my opinion of the voice acting really boils down to the things they say during special moves.

I have Ed in English because as much as he sounds like a twat, his Japanese voice is an archetype I will not voluntarily expose myself to. I think my Urien is in English because he speaks in English, though some character's JPN voices are also "English" right?

TheOGB

Banned
Definitive language rankings, let's do it nerds

Best in JP:
Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, Laura, Ibuki, Juri

Best in ENG:
Dhalsim, Rashid, Necalli, Alex, Boxer, Urien, Ed

Both are good/Either is fine:
Cammy, Nash, Karin, Dictator, Claw I guess, Birdie, R. Mika, Zangief, Guile, Akuma (for once), Kolin, Abigail, Menat (I prefer ENG)

Pick your poison:
F.A.N.G's VAs have charm.... but it comes from being kinda annoying

Kyle Hebert's Ryu is good, but sometimes he sounds a little too grizzled to me. And +1 for hating the direction they took for Chun's voice. Let her sound like an adult dammit.

JusDoIt

First time I’ve heard of anyone do this especially since SFV has very good English VOs. It’d actually feel weird to me having Japanese VOs on, especially if the character isn’t Japanese lol

I set all VO to Japanese. It’s not that I even like the Japanese voices more than English, I just would rather not understand the dumb shit Street Fighter characters say.

Edzi

Laura Bailey's Chun performance in this game is fucking trash. She sounds like a timid child, not the strongest woman in the world. She's one of the first examples I'd give as to why I picked JPN voices.

I should also note that I don't give the slightest fuck about the story or characters of SF so my opinion of the voice acting really boils down to the things they say during special moves.

I have Ed in English because as much as he sounds like a twat, his Japanese voice is an archetype I will not voluntarily expose myself to. I think my Urien is in English because he speaks in English, though some character's JPN voices are also "English" right?

Not really, they just say some Engrish words here and there.

Skab

It's Ken, I tested it with Ryu hitting him him too.

Watching again, are you talking about that little sound bit thats at the very start of the your clip? Because thats the only other sound i hear that isn't guile.

Thought that was just something getting cut off at the start of the video. If that's what youre referring to then yeah that's odd.

Edzi

I was thinking of Cammy, basically. Maybe she's the only one.

She also speaks mostly in Japanese outside of her attacks, it's just that she sucks at saying all her move names in mangled English so it stands out more.

But yeah, if you're just talking about them yelling their move names in a match, then I think Alex's Japanese VA also yells them out in mostly English. Move names never seem to be translated now that I think about it, some of them are always in Japanese and others are always in English.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
She also speaks mostly in Japanese, it's just that she sucks at saying all her move names in mangled English so it stands out more.

But yeah, if you're just talking about them yelling their move names in a match, then I think Alex's Japanese VA also yells them out in mostly English.

Yeah I'm just talking about in-match VO. Now that you mention it I don't know whether I've set Alex to be English or Japanese.

jett

D-Member
Watching again, are you talking about that little sound bit thats at the very start of the your clip? Because thats the only other sound i hear that isn't guile.

Thought that was just something getting cut off at the start of the video. If that's what youre referring to then yeah that's odd.

What? I mean the high pitched "Ah!"

Whales

Banned
Cammy, Ed, Balrog, Alex, Menat, Abigail and Juri stay in English

The rest is all JP

Most DLC chars have good ENG voices... but man, the original cast have awful ENG voices.

Edzi

Cammy, Ed, Balrog, Alex, Menat, Abigail and Juri stay in English

The rest is all JP

Most DLC chars have good ENG voices... but man, the original cast have awful ENG voices.

Juri's English voice is terrible. Her Japanese voice is the hottest thing ever.

Whales

Banned

I like her english voice, feels like she fits her pretty well tbh.

But yeah, her JP voice is also pretty good honestly.

i like hearing nae nae everytime I get grabbed, it motivates me to learn to tech better so I dont hear that shit again

FSLink

Banned
I usually keep everyone in Japanese because I spend way too much time watching JPN player footage so it's what I'm used to hearing.

Sometimes I have the characters like Cammy/Balrog/Guile/Alex/Ed in English. Abigail as well but I kinda like the ORA ORA ORA ORA he does in Japanese.

Also yeah I love Laura Bailey but her Chun isn't very good imo. I usually keep Chun in Japanese.

Whales

Banned
Why no English Urien?

That i'm not sure

I turned it on JP the first day and never looked back, but his ENG voice is also real good...
Y'all gonna make me switch his voice tbh

His English voice is amazing, but his Japanese voice is also really badass. I don't blame him for keeping Urien Japanese, I probably would have done the same if I didn't know about 3rd Strike voices.

Oh I know his 3rd strike voice, which I find awesome. But his SFV eng voice doesnt feel AS badass as 3rd strike IMO, not sure why

if there was voice packs in this game id use urien's 3rd strike voice instantly

Edzi

That i'm not sure

I turned it on JP the first day and never looked back, but his ENG voice is also real good...
Y'all gonna make me switch his voice tbh

Oh I know his 3rd strike voice, which I find awesome. But his SFV eng voice doesnt feel AS badass as 3rd strike IMO, not sure why

if there was voice packs in this game id use urien's 3rd strike voice instantly

It's because it had a weird metallic sound filter over it in 3rd strike, but aside from that it's pretty darn close.

Pompadour

Blame Capcom. She revealed on The Indoor Kids podcast she tried to portray Chun-Li as a more "mature" woman but they wanted her to act inexplicably child-like.

His English voice is amazing, but his Japanese voice is also really badass. I don't blame him for keeping Urien Japanese, I probably would have done the same if I didn't know about 3rd Strike voices.

Since we're getting old OSTs for alternate character themes, I wonder how likely it is that we can get alternate character voices from old games?

I like both Uriens, but Aegis with the EN voice is fucking perfect. It's like Jedah's laugh in MvCI. They nailed exactly what the character should sound like.

It's kinda like what Tekken does with Bryan's laugh, but by actually getting a good voice actor rather than reusing the same voice clip from 1998.

Truth.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Blame Capcom. She revealed on The Indoor Kids podcast she tried to portray Chun-Li as a more "mature" woman but they wanted her to act inexplicably child-like.

Since we're getting old OSTs for alternate character themes, I wonder how likely it is that we can get alternate character voices from old games?
I definitely don't blame her. I know she's good. Even before I heard it was bad voice direction I assumed it was bad voice direction.

Abigail is the only voice I have set to Japanese right now cuz he sounds like a goddamn JJBA villain and it's incredible.

AAAAABIIIGEIRUUUUUU PAAAAAAAUNCH

I'm still kinda amazed at how well they nailed Alex & Urien's voices for SFV. They're noticeably different from 3S but still fit perfectly. I just wish Urien had a "pitiful scum!" line.

MCD250

I'm still kinda amazed at how well they nailed Alex & Urien's voices for SFV. They're noticeably different from 3S but still fit perfectly. I just wish Urien had a "pitiful scum!" line.
(English) Alex's "back it up" when he does his V-Reversal is my favorite voice clip in the game tbh.

Teh Lurv

Shame the best music in the game is stuck on a limited stage like that

You can pick the BGM for stages you don't currently own for your menu playlist. I have the holiday stage themes as my go-to menu music, it gives the game kinda a classic MvC feel.

I also reached another milestone today: Had my first Gold player RQ on me during a match because he couldn't hold that 1-2 loss.

Reason i rarely play rank, just battle lounge or casuals...

Last time i played rank my match looked just like your video, played 5 straight games of lag free casuals winning all of them, switch to rank and i get lag from hell and the flag was USA...Arcade Edition needs a new netcode badly..

i ranked down all the way to platinum because of how frustrating to see gimmicks working online. I'm stuck in 9000LP and every time I try to get back to Super, a player on Wifi or lag switcher just come and ruin it .

Not only is the rollback is BS but the input latency is ridiculous I can't even punish something simple like Kolin's V-Skill with a medium normal.

In Tekken 7 a 1 bar player will be stuttering but animations stays intact, KI small stuttering , in USF4 you lose control when someone lag switch and here the game just freezes loosing all of your controls.

kikiribu

Shame the best music in the game is stuck on a limited stage like that

You can pick the BGM for stages you don't currently own for your menu playlist. I have the holiday stage themes as my go-to menu music, it gives the game kinda a classic MvC feel.

I also reached another milestone today: Had my first Gold player RQ on me during a match because he couldn't hold that 1-2 loss.
Yah, I’ve had both BGMs set as my menu music for almost a year now but I want the stage. Capcom sucks. Hopefully it’s back in November

I wish this game more details on the quality of the connection before you accept a match. Early this afternoon despite my setting Ranked match search for 5-bar only, I fought a Silver Ken whose connection was all over the place. This guy had it all: slowdown, roll-backs, and frame skipping. The guy played horribly, but the connection let him get away with so much crap. I eventually beat the guy in 3 rounds by turtling and had to sit for a full minute at the win screen before I could even quit the match.

About two hours later I was matched up with the guy again, only this time he was Super Silver on the cusp of Ultra Silver. I beat him again using the same strategy and took a took a look at his Ranked record. A long string of one-match wins. I imagine most of his opponents took the L and quit in frustration.

That really got me salty: I'm working to improve and get to Ultra Silver and this guy is coasting there because his connection blows.

Blacklist him in CFN so you don't have to fight him again. They even allow you to state poor/unstable connection as a reason.

Top Bottom