• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V - Reviews Thread

Neoxon

I hope it gets a re-review down the line.

But so far review seems fine! Can't freaking wait!
IGN probably will do a re-review (they did the same for Splatoon).

Not many games get re-reviews because people forget about them.
Street Fighter V is definitely gonna stay in the public eye thanks to the FGC. And again, if Splatoon got a re-review, then I'm sure that Street Fighter V will follow suit.....at least for IGN.

shandy706

So it's about what I expected so far. Mid-to-high 70's & low 80's. Seems fair since this game is being poised to be the Splatoon of fighting games in terms of features being added over time.

Wouldn't it make more sense to say it's following in Killer Instinct's steps, lol.

KI went from a great fighter with a little content to a great fighter with much more content. The episodes idea is great..especially if one does the $20 per update thing KI did.

Is SF V full price? (are all future updates free?) Sorry haven't followed it much.

Hoje0308

Banned
I would bet, but when will that be? Can't review what isn't there.

That wasn't a critique of your review, but a comment on Capcom's lack of foresight on the issue. They can't really expect the community to be okay with this, and yet here we are in a situation in which they'll most likely end up having to patch it anyway, but will have quite a few pissed off players before they do. It's just silly.

Toki767

Well reviews arent looking exactly great. Not terrible mind you just not super high. The lack of content at launch will hurt it a bit

No one's saying that the gameplay is bad or anything though, which is good. Does Open Critic or Metacritic update their scores after a game has been out for months? Not that I see most sites updating scores.

Griss

I understand that people find it lacks single player content but wasn't that the case for all street fighter games anyway ? I don't understand why people would lower review scores for that
It would be like complaining about the online multiplayer aspect of a nintendo solo game

There's a genre expectation with fighting games that there will be single player content, including some kind of narrative mode. Your average consumer would definitely expect it. I did until I was told otherwise.

Games should be reviewed relative to their peers, so this seems perfectly fair to me.

At the same time it does highlight what a tricky (and somewhat useless) business reviewing is these days. To someone who only plays online, the game might be a 10/10. To someone who only plays solo, it might legit be a 4. So... do you give it a 7? Because both of those audiences will find that 7 to be completely inaccurate once they pick up the game. It's difficult.

Honestly a fighting game lacking a single player mode/story is not a big deal, personally Tekken is the only fighting game story that I'm interested in. Give me a mechanically well made fighter and you'll get an 8+ from me.

Codeblue

Well reviews arent looking exactly great. Not terrible mind you just not super high. The lack of content at launch will hurt it a bit

It's pretty much identical to how Splatoon reviewed. Of which, I actually liked the Splatoon drip feed, so I don't see the lack of content out of the gate as a huge negative personally.

ethomaz

Banned
It weird to say the game lacks content when what it have less than SFIV? Trials?

Reviews are dumb... if they give SFIV 9-10 I can't see how they can give SFV 7-8.

No one's saying that the gameplay is bad or anything though, which is good. Does Open Critic or Metacritic update their scores after a game has been out for months? Not that I see most sites updating scores.

Yep game seems to play great, it just sounds like it needs more content to be truly "great". Seems like the kind of game you can pick up cheaper in a couple months and have a much better experience. Still excited to play it though. Mechanically the game sounds great

LuuKyK

Seems about right considering the game is very barebones. The mechanics and the gameplay are there though, and it seems very good in that aspect so the game should be fine on the long term as long ad Capcom keeps their word on constantly releasing new content and updating/improving the game.

But honestly... They shouldnt have hyped up the single player content of the game before release (with that comparison to mortal kombat), even if they didnt know about the delay. It obviously played a part in the expectations people had (including reviewers) about the story mode.

This definitely sounds like a game that will get a bunch of re-reviews later in the year.

Tripon

Haha I'm not very familiar with fighting games, sorry.

I was looking into jumping in with SFV but I would only play single player. The OP's comment made me a little cautious.
SFV has character story mode for each Fighter, but the overall story mode Wong come in until June. It'll have a training mode and survivial mode and you can unlock costumes (to buy with in game currency) via single player. Starting in March, there will be a DLC character roughly every month you can buy with in game currency or real money released.

Eventually, you will want to go online to face other people, and the game will have match making options to try to pair you with people of similar skill.

But if you think you are only going to play single player exclusively. This game likely isn't for you unless you don't mind just playing Arcade mode over and over again.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wouldn't it make more sense to say it's following in Killer Instinct's steps, lol.

KI went from a great fighter with a little content to a great fighter with much more content. The episodes idea is great..especially if one does the $20 per update thing KI did.

Is SF V full price? (are all future updates free?) Sorry haven't followed it much.

yes its $60 and yes updates are free

ps3ud0

Yeah I'm pretty sure most of the big name sites are going to adjust their score once the other modes come out.
I'm actually going to be announcing additional types of game reviews for our site later today that take this into account. "Unified" games that launch with one title/gen in mind with post-launch content updates are becoming more frequent, and should be impossible to ignore.
Ah that sounds awesome, I hoped most reviews might just delay scoring til they become available as ultimately scoring this game wont affect the hardcore fanbase who should be playing it for years but theres things missing that a casual SF gamer might be after.

I'm waiting to see how well PS3 sticks work with the game before I dip so might just get it once those additional features turn up. Gonna lose all the time anyway whenever I turn up :p

ps3ud0 8)

jiggles

Banned
I keep saying it, but this should really be listed as Early Access on Steam. It's clearly an incomplete package and we're buying in in advance.

KingBroly

Banned
IGN probably will do a re-review (they did the same for Splatoon).

Street Fighter V is definitely gonna stay in the public eye thanks to the FGC. And again, if Splatoon got a re-review, then I'm sure that Street Fighter V will follow suit.....at least for IGN.

IGN said they usually don't do re-reviews, but did it for Splatoon because a ton of people asked.

And going by what Capcom laid out, Street Fighter 5: 2017 Edition (AKA everything through 2016 on one disc) is probably going to be a retail disc that happens so a re-review of the base game probably won't be necessary.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It weird to say the game lacks content when what it have less than SFIV? Trials?

Reviews are dumb... if they give SFIV 9-10 I can't see how they can give SFV 7-8.

standards change

The characters aren't free, though, right?

actually you will be able to buy them with in game currency, but youll need alot of it

IGN said they usually don't do re-reviews, but did it for Splatoon because a ton of people asked.

And going by what Capcom laid out, Street Fighter 5: 2017 Edition (AKA everything through 2016 on one disc) is probably going to be a retail disc that happens so a re-review of the base game probably won't be necessary.

Capcom specifically said this will be the only disc version of SF5. they could of course be lying, and just release one with the season pass incorporated next year

Asd202

Well the game is lacking single player content by the core gameplay is so good making it a very hard game to review.

McDougles

That wasn't a critique of your review, but a comment on Capcom's lack of foresight on the issue. They can't really expect the community to be okay with this, and yet here we are in a situation in which they'll most likely end up having to patch it anyway, but will have quite a few pissed off players before they do. It's just silly.

I honestly don't know how it slipped through the cracks, seeing as everything else on a multiplayer gameplay view is on point.

The characters aren't free, though, right?

Everything, including characters, can be earned with Fight Money aka not-Zenny.

Neoxon

I compared Street Fighter V to Splatoon because both are full-priced games that are/were barebones at launch with free features promised overtime. The difference is that while Splatoon's support was cut off after last month (likely due to Nintendo diverting all of their developers to the NX Platform), Street Fighter V is gonna be supported for the long haul.

As for the updates themselves, all of the planned modes will be free (Challenges, a more detailed Tutorial, Cinematic Story Mode, 8-Player Lobbies, Spectator Mode, etc.). All DLC characters & a select few alternate costumes can also be earned through in-game Fight Money (beating all of the stories for the core roster will net you enough for one DLC character).

AwRy108

...but it's also being compared to other fighting games--namely, MK--which have continued to add a robust suite of single player content. In a Street Fighter vacuum, yes, it's nearly on par with SFIV.

Character story mode should've been like 8 fight arcade mode instead of a 3 fight thing. What were they thinking?

They actually wanted ALL the fights in story mode to make sense for once

In previous SF arcade modes, you'd have stuff like Guile fighting Chun Li...or Bison fighting Vega. These don't make sense in the context of the story.

Toki767

Yep game seems to play great, it just sounds like it needs more content to be truly "great". Seems like the kind of game you can pick up cheaper in a couple months and have a much better experience. Still excited to play it though. Mechanically the game sounds great

For casual people that just want to have fun, definitely wait to pick it up if you need that single player content. But for anyone who plans to be competitive in any way, they aren't going to wait.

KingBroly

Banned
I compared Street Fighter V to Splatoon because both are full-priced games that are/were barebones at launch with free features promised overtime. The difference is that while Splatoon's support was cut off after last month (likely due to Nintendo diverting all of their developers to the NX Platform), Street Fighter V is gonna be supported for the long haul.

As for the updates themselves, all of the planned modes will be free (Challenges, a more detailed Tutorial, Cinematic Story Mode, 8-Player Lobbies, Spectator Mode, etc.). All DLC characters & a select few alternate costumes can also be earned through in-game Fight Money (beating all of the stories for the core roster will net you enough for one DLC character).

Splatoon never had Paid DLC, though. That's a big difference as well.

Cleve

I understand that people find it lacks single player content but wasn't that the case for all street fighter games anyway ? I don't understand why people would lower review scores for that
It would be like complaining about the online multiplayer aspect of a nintendo solo game

I can see the point when Capcom did go out of their way quite a ways before launch to say they were developing a more in depth story mode. It's not relevant to the core audience, but I'm sure more casual folks (which may include plenty of reviewers) were looking forward to it, and disappointed to see it missing at launch.

I'd equate it to promoting a tacked-on online co-op then delaying that at launch. It'll matter to a few people.

I keep saying it, but this should really be listed as Early Access on Steam. It's clearly an incomplete package and we're buying in in advance.

I think that's a pretty considerable exaggeration.

shandy706

yes its $60 and yes updates are free

Ok, if udpates are free...good deal.

As long as the core fighting is great (like KI was) it's just a matter of when one wants to jump in.

Makes sense. Very similar to KI in a # of ways...and Splatoon as you said :).

firelogic

All it's missing is the story mode which is dropping in June at no extra cost. Should they have delayed it because of that? I personally don't think so. Capcom knows their SF audience. The vast majority buy it for online vs and local vs. The story mode is going to take you a couple of hours including cutscenes. If that's what makes or breaks your purchase decision for a fighting game, especially SF, that person probably wasn't going to buy the game anyway.

These reviews seem totally fair . A great game that's lacking in content (which will be fixed over time, fortunately!).

Can't wait until tomorrow!

Neoxon

Splatoon never had Paid DLC, though. That's a big difference as well.
True, but I'm talking about the additional modes themselves. And even then, the only thing you absolutely have to pay for in Street Fighter V are premium alternate costumes. Everything else (that we know of) will either be added for free or can be earned for free.

They actually wanted ALL the fights in story mode to make sense for once

In previous SF arcade modes, you'd have stuff like Guile fighting Chun Li...or Bison fighting Vega. These don't make sense in the context of the story.
Well then they could've given a mode that does make sense and a separate arcade mode that doesn't. Seems like they pushed release up a month or 2 early for the CPT.

Top Bottom