• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V - Reviews Thread

Somnia

PCGamer's review in progress: PC Gamer Review in Progress

We’ll be sitting on the full review of Street Fighter V until we’ve seen how Capcom’s new rollback-based netcode system performs in a live environment. But really we could sit on it for a few months after that. At launch, SFV is merely serviceable for the seasoned online warrior. For the beginner, it is simply abysmal.

Sounding like no buy for a casual like me who also wants to enjoy the story mode stuff and isn't too big on a competitive.

Guess I'll pick up ultimate Ninja Storm 4 instead and look in on SFV when there's more content in june.

KingBroly

Banned
All it's missing is the story mode which is dropping in June at no extra cost. Should they have delayed it because of that? I personally don't think so. Capcom knows their SF audience. The vast majority buy it for online vs and local vs.

what? It's not missing JUST Story Mode right now.

- 8 player lobbies
- Trials/Challenges
- In-Depth Tutorials
- DLC Shop
- Versus AI in Local MP

All of that stuff is missing. That's a lot of stuff.

Brett Awesome

Neo Member
I don't doubt i'll love the game, but this has been a complete launch disaster.

Your casual fan has no hook to be patient with this game long enough for those features to come in. There is nothing in the game right now for a Day 1 player to know how to improve themselves. The irony being that the execution barrier was intentionally lowered to try and attract new players, and they've done absolutely nothing else to help them. Even challenge mode would help.

Also the online system so far is a mess. No ranked lobbies to pick an opponent, you're just sitting at a dead screen while they pick someone for you. Judging by lastnight (couple thousand players online) the wait times were ridiculous.

jiggles

Banned
Because it doesn't have a couple fluff modes that are coming in a couple weeks anyways? Oh spare me

Is the Early Access badge such a horrible thing? There have been some pretty fantastic early access games in the past.

All it's missing is the story mode which is dropping in June at no extra cost. Should they have delayed it because of that? I personally don't think so. Capcom knows their SF audience. The vast majority buy it for online vs and local vs. The story mode is going to take you a couple of hours including cutscenes. If that's what makes or breaks your purchase decision for a fighting game, especially SF, that person probably wasn't going to buy the game anyway.

I didn't say they should delay the game, but that they should be honest about it not being the full thing when selling it today. And I thought it was missing trials/challenges and only had a barebones lobby system for now?

How are the League rankings done?

Are there separate categories aka League of Legends style? What are the break points?

And I will just echo the same as already mentioned... people are going to quickly find out how shitty a system it is that when someone ragequits... the winner doesn't get any points for it. DC and Rise up!

...the characters
Which can be earned

Do threads about this game need to go on this circle very single time?
Is the Early Access badge such a horrible thing? There have been some pretty fantastic early access games in the past.
It's unnecessary and people love using it as a derogatory term. The core game is already there fully done and extra modes are coming in a month time, it's not Early Access.

Neoxon

- 8 player lobbies
- Trials/Challenges
- In-Depth Tutorials
- DLC Shop
- Versus AI in Local MP

All of which will be added in about a month.

I-hate-u

Happy with it not getting 9s across the board like sf4. Would have even liked to see them a bit lower so that the rest of the fighters learn not to launch with such barebones modes.
Still, I understand Capcom's situation. They wanted to launch before the tour. The dlc down the road better be good and worth it.

Even if I don't understand the "not a lot of single player content" I wasn't hoping for so good reviews since it was something discussed a lot. Now I'm happy to see that even if some sites are pointing this out they understand that the greatness of a Street Fighter game is somewhere else :)

Also I'm not really good in fighting games so I hope I'll be able to unlock things without buying the season pass, that's the only thing I want.

Dremark

Banned
Everyone was saying this game would be dead after the first month, but seeing the reviews I guess it's stillborn instead.

RIP SFV 2016-2016

You will be missed.

KingBroly

Banned
All of which will be added in about a month.

Doesn't matter. It's core, fundamental content that should be there on Day 1 and it's not. The casual audience isn't going to come to the game in a month when that stuff's added. They'll already have moved onto the next game that's hyped up.

Read through IGN's review, they seemed to reeeaaally like the gameplay and presentation aspects a lot. They fave it an 8 despite next to no SP content (Splatoon initially earned a 7.9 WITH a decent campaign at least lol)

Edit: LOL, IGN and Gamespot both ended their videos with a R. Mika's critical art

Neoxon

Premium Costumes are going to cost money, man. Where have you been?

And good luck getting every.single.character free. Free isn't free.
There will be challenges online next month that will allow you to earn Fight Money quickly. So while it won't be as fast as earning the first character by playing Story Mode, it will help with the grind.

I also noted that premium costumes are the only paid-only DLC that we know of, which is only cosmetic.

I don't doubt i'll love the game, but this has been a complete launch disaster.

Your casual fan has no hook to be patient with this game long enough for those features to come in. There is nothing in the game right now for a Day 1 player to know how to improve themselves. The irony being that the execution barrier was intentionally lowered to try and attract new players, and they've done absolutely nothing else to help them. Even challenge mode would help.

Also the online system so far is a mess. No ranked lobbies to pick an opponent, you're just sitting at a dead screen while they pick someone for you. Judging by lastnight (couple thousand players online) the wait times were ridiculous.

Single Player isn't going to get you better at the game anyway. I completely agree why some are knocking it for a lack of SP content, but to say its because new players (like me) won't be able to learn... A story mode isn't going to help you improve.

The game isn't released yet and you are wondering why there was a long wait time.......

Griss

- 8 player lobbies
- Trials/Challenges
- In-Depth Tutorials
- DLC Shop
- Versus AI in Local MP

What does 'Versus AI in Local MP' mean?

Do you mean that you can't go to 1v1 fight and just play matches against the AI? Like, you HAVE to play Arcade mode in order to play single player? Because if so... are you shitting me?

But that can't be what you mean, surely. 70% of my time with fighting games is spent just casually playing the AI in 1v1s as I don't have the connection to play online.

Toki767

Doesn't matter. It's core, fundamental content that should be there on Day 1 and it's not. The casual audience isn't going to come to the game in a month when that stuff's added. They'll already have moved onto the next game that's hyped up.

Realistically, I don't see them attracting any new players that aren't already somewhat familiar with Street Fighter, content or not.

Street Fighter V has a pretty set player base that will go out and buy this game tomorrow. And there aren't exactly a ton of new releases between now and next month.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Do you mean that you can't go to 1v1 fight and just play matches against the AI? Like, you HAVE to play Arcade mode in order to play single player? Because if so... are you shitting me?

But that can't be what you mean, surely. 70% of my time with fighting games is spent just casually playing the AI in 1v1s as I don't have the connection to play online.

thats exactly what it means yes

BadWolf

Good stuff.

Can't really review this game normally anyway since they have been saying from day 1 that the game's release will just be the beginning and the game will be supported for years to come.

KingBroly

Banned

There's no Arcade Mode, either. Just Story Mode.

The best you can do is face the AI in Training. No Best of 3 matches against AI. No watching AI v. AI either.

Neoxon

You can't play Vs. Mode against the AI until March. You have to use Training Mode to get some AI training in until then.

Top Bottom