• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Roster Discussion: P-P-P-P-PATTERN BREAKER

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAL2006

Banned
I doubt that they will show another character. It'll probably be just Ryu and Chun-Li going at it with a breakdown of what the mechanics are or could be.

Most likely a proper Gameplay match between Ryu and Chunli with impressions. As well as full breakdown of mechanics. We may also get lucky and find out about release schedule, when the story takes place. My hope is that we get another character reveal.

yurinka

Thanks to the co-development of Capcom, Sony and Dimps (plus they typical huge amount of outsource studios) after four SFV iterations the entire SF cast would be back with a crazy record of 74 characters, each one with their own song and stage:

44 rehashed from SSFIV (all)
23 returning from 2D games
8 brand new characters

Nov 2016 - SFV: 22 from SFIV, 10 from 2D games, 4 new
Nov 2017 - SSFV: 8 from SFIV, 5 from 2D games, 2 new
Nov 2018 - USFV: 8 from SFIV, 5 from 2D games
Nov 2019 - SFV Omega: 6 from SFIV, 3 from 2D games, 2 new

The brand new characters would include Haggar, Goutetsu, Guy's master, teenager version of Ken's son or Tom (Alex's master)

These four big iterations would be available as both phisical and digital retail game.

These 3 big updates would be available as big packs of DLC too. When released one of these versions there would be a free DLC update with rebalance of old characters and a new set of paid DLC costumes for all the available characters.

If you don't want to buy these big DLC packs, you would be allowed to buy each separate new character as DLC.

Oh yeah! I forgot about this; is there a stream for Capcom Cup?
Capcom Cup will be streamed here http://capcomcup.com/ today beginning at 10:30 am PST.

capcom-unity said:
In addition to high level USFIV, there will also a special Street Fighter V annoucnement from Ono-san as well as the first live ever game play demonstration!

http://www.capcom-unity.com/combofiend/blog/2014/12/11/reminder-capcom-cup-this-saturday

Yudoken

I really, REALLY hope Dudley is still in.
Everyone else could be exchanged with new characters.
I'm that uninterested in the old cast.

Pachimari

Wow, I had no idea Abel and C. Viper were introduced in Street Fighter IV? Woah.
Honestly thought they were mainstays.

I for one hope to see Poison, Juri and Makoto back.

Xux

Thanks to the co-development of Capcom, Sony and Dimps (plus they typical huge amount of outsource studios) after four SFV iterations the entire SF cast would be back with a crazy record of 74 characters, each one with their own song and stage:[....]
That's a pretty good dream. I dunno about the logistics of getting them all in but it's honestly hard for me to get into a series like Street Fighter without liking 90% of cast and I'd love to see them all in one game.

delSai

Charlie seems to be back eh? Is there a SF character that can bring people back from the dead? If there is, maybe that character is in. All i wanna know right now is when the game takes place

Sesha

Now that Charlie is confirmed it seems unlikely the World Warriors and/or the Four Devas will return in their entirety, at least if the 16 characters with 4 new ones rumors are true.

KAL2006

Banned
Now that Charlie is confirmed it seems unlikely the World Warriors and/or the Four Devas will return in their entirety, at least if the 16 character / 4 new ones rumors are true. This means, assuming the rumors are true, we will have 9 characters to speculate over.

I find that 16 character rumor hard to believe. I expect at least 25 characters minimum.

Pompadour

Now that Charlie is confirmed it seems unlikely the World Warriors and/or the Four Devas will return in their entirety, at least if the 16 characters with 4 new ones rumors are true. This means, assuming the rumors are true, we will have 9 characters to speculate over.

I was hoping this was the case. The original 12 aren't that great (at least great enough for them all to make it into the first iteration of V).

I hope Q replaces Balrog like Charlie is likely replacing Guile. Making replacing Guy would be interesting, too.

I would like to see a return to having 4 boss characters. In SF2 fighting Balrog, Vega, Sagat, Bison, they felt like consecutive boss fights. Not like you were just fighting 3 randoms then the main boss. It would be nice if they could re-capture that kind of magic again somehow.

kodecraft

I would like to see a return to having 4 boss characters. In SF2 fighting Balrog, Vega, Sagat, Bison, they felt like consecutive boss fights. Not like you were just fighting 3 randoms then the main boss. It would be nice if they could re-capture that kind of magic again somehow.

I like this idea. Get rid of Seth as a boss too that was wack the name, the look and the way he fought was all wack.

Tizoc

Remember this?
110721-shad-2.jpg

Charlie seems to be back eh? Is there a SF character that can bring people back from the dead? If there is, maybe that character is in. All i wanna know right now is when the game takes place

Well technically it was never truly confirmed if he was dead or not, capcom kept playing around with it always having guile searching for him or coming to terms that he was dead. Charlie is one of the most bad ass and powerful characters in SF lore plus he's practically Guile's master in a way. Another cool trivia he was the US martial arts champ before his disappearance.. That's when Ken came into the scene and started winning multiple consecutive championships.

The only character they brought back from dead was gouken, I could be wrong but I think akuma killed bison but he has several bodies laying around ( I wouldn't mind a plot twist that Q is actually bison) and eventually akuma kills gen as well.

Raitaro

Resurrection.gif

http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Gill

So far only shown to be bringing himself back from the dead, but Charlie has the same type of gem on his forehead as Gill does.

Is there any reason to think Charlie might in fact be(come) Gill? I'm not too familiar with SF Alpha's storylines, or Gill's background, but isn't Charlie considered to be very powerful canonically? Him being dead originally and now having that gem, combined with Gill having resurrection abilities and this new game possibly taking place between 2 and 3, makes me think it could actually be an option.

Sanctuary

Not sure what is up with the Tekken meets Virtua Fighter character model art style, but it's really damn ugly for a Street Fighter game. They moved away from sprites because supposedly they are more expensive and time consuming, but the Street Fighter games would look way better if they used cel shading over the polygons. The series starting loosing the SF look starting with SF4 and now it just looks really generic in 5.

116807-16134-charlie2.jpg

I just realized something idk if you guys seen the Street Fighter Round one Fight movie it's on Hulu ( fuck I don't have Hulu) I believe that charlie is shown having that crystal thing on his forehead, so he would technically being controlled under shadowloo instead of the illuminati ( Gill and Urien ) if someone here has Hulu please check it out.

Which could mean the rise of shadowloo?! I would love if they focused on shadowloo vs the Illuminati.

*note: shadowloo was practically dead In 3rd strike

Okay I have a couple of rumors for you GAF. They are probably true.

Ken Bogard is well-known in the french VS fighting community. He's a fighting games commentator and also has a weekly show about VS Fighting on french Web TV "Gaming Live". He apparently has a source at Capcom. All the infos he had in the past turned out to be true and he's not the kind of guy who spread out ridiculous rumors.

So take the following as you want GAF, but I'm 100% trusting that dude.

He also has a weekly "shiny hunting" Pokemon show on that web tv. So on his December 5th Show, while playing, he talked a lot about Street Fighter V. He said he knew stuff and that he'll discretely drop hints during the show. Here's what he said:

- Street Fighter V won't have "Super" or "Hyper" editions. Just updates. He doesn't know if these updates will be free or DLC and does not know if they'll be balancing updates or will add characters and stages.
- The number of characters in the starting roster will be between SFIII and SF IV. He knows the number but not the returning cast.
- There'll be 4 new characters and he knows 3 of them.
- Focus Attacks won't return.
- It'll be released in 2016 and that the month is easy to guess. (He said to think about japanese fiscal years).

Then he dropped some interesting clues. He usually nicknames his Pokemon with stupid joke names but not this time.

3 of his pokemons were nicknamed

- Rachid
- Zen
- Laura

We can assume these are the 3 new fighters he knows about. He also kept mentioning 3 places in the world and he said "there was a reason": Brasil, Africa and India. We can assume Rachid is from Africa, Zen will be from India and Laura from Brasil.

He also named another Pokemon "V-Trigger" which is probably the name of the new SFV mechanic.

So, you know everything. I repeat, I think we can 100% trust Ken Bogard but don't forget either: we're still early in development, things can change.

tl;dr: RUMOR (which I believe is true) French VS fighting commentator seems to have info about SFV. Launch date 2016. No new versions, just updates. 4 new characters: Rachid (Africa), Zen (India), Laura (Brasil) and one more. New mechanic called V-trigger.

Sesha

Between SF3 and 4 how? In number? SF3 was 19 and 4 was 25 so that means about 22 characters if so.

I'm don't want this to be true, though. I was hoping the low number of new characters was because of a small initial roster, but if it's more than 22 I wish there'd be more new characters.
Also, if the names of the new characters are true then that means no Santamu, at least in vanilla SF5. =(

The new characters aren't what I hoped/expected. Another Brazilian character is disappointing. Couldn't they add someone from like, Chile or Peru? skinnerrubsfingers.gif I guess. Same goes for India. I was hoping for someone from Singapore or the Philippine or something. But, Rachid sounds interesting. I wonder if he's Egyptian.

It probably is true, though. There is an air of believability to it. Thanks for sharing.

Edit: I'm dumb. I already saw someone post all of this at another forum a few days ago.

Maybe I didn't understand the part about "between SFIII and SFIV. Maybe he was talking about the gameplay.

What I'm sure he said about the number of characters: "easy to guess", "think about the original cast", "it's the fifth game". So maybe 12+5 = 17 ? Maybe 15 ? I don't know. He really wasn't clear about it. To be fair, he didn't had the right to be clear about anything.

Sesha

I just checked, and someone posted similar info on another forum. He wrote, and I'm quoting "-16 characters, 4 new ones".

Now if this means 16 characters total or 16 returning characters + 4 new ones is hard to say. I don't know how he found the info or whatnot.

SF2 had 12 characters, though. SF4 started out with 16, including Akuma as a secret character, with Seth and Gouken as bosses. SF3 had 12 in New Generation, and 19 in 3rd Strike.
The most likely answer to me is 16 characters total, which falls between 3NGs original 12 and SF4 Arcade's 19.

Charlie was really my most wanted out of anyone, so we're off to a good start.

One of the newcomers better be from Canada. It's ridiculous that we don't have a rep yet.

GnawtyDog

Banned

Ken Bogard is well-known in the french VS fighting community. He's a fighting games commentator and also has a weekly show about VS Fighting on french Web TV "Gaming Live". He apparently has a source at Capcom. All the infos he had in the past turned out to be true and he's not the kind of guy who spread out ridiculous rumors.

So take the following has you want GAF, but I'm 100% trusting that dude.

He has also a weekly "shiny hunting" Pokemon show on that web tv. So on his December 5th Show, while playing, he talked a lot about Street Fighter V. He said he knew stuff and that he'll dropp discretely hint during the show. Here's what he said.

- Street Fighter V won't have "Super" or "Hyper" editions. Just updates. He won't know if these updates will be free or DLC and does not know if they'll be balancing updates or will add characters and stages.
- The number of characters in the starting roster will be between SFIII and SF IV. He knows the number but not the returning cast.
- There'll be 4 new characters and he knows 3 of them.
- Focus Attacks won't return.
- It'll be released in 2016 and that the month is easy to guess. (He said to think about japanese fiscal years).

Then he dropped some interesting clues. He usually nicknames his Pokemon with stupid joke names but not this time.

3 of his pokemons were nicknamed

- Rachid
- Zen
- Laura

We can assume these are the 3 new fighters he knows about. He also kept mentioning 3 places in the world and he said "there was a reason": Brasil, Africa and India. We can assume Rachid is from Africa and (more probably North Africa), Zen will be from India and Laura from Brasil.

He also named another Pokemon "V-Trigger" which is probably the name of the new SFV mechanic.

So, you know everything. I repeat, I think we can 100% trust Ken Bogard but don't forget either: we're still early in development, things can change.

tl;dr: RUMOR (which I believe is true) French VS fighting commentator seems to have info about SFV. Launch date 2016. No new versions, just updates. 4 new characters: Rachid (Africa), Zen (India), Laura (Brasil) and one more. New mechanic called V-trigger.

Interesting about no focus.

zlatko

Banned
It'd be idiotic if focus came back. Each SF game has new mechanics, and this won't be an exception.

I think we would've seen a focus attack on the display from Mike Ross or Combo. I'm glad we got to see revenge and the changes in ex meter capabilities.

This is shaping up great. Dat Charles!

I was hoping this was the case. The original 12 aren't that great (at least great enough for them all to make it into the first iteration of V).

I hope Q replaces Balrog like Charlie is likely replacing Guile. Making replacing Guy would be interesting, too.
They should find a way to bring Q in but use Dudley to replace Balrog instead. Always preferred Dudley to Balrog.

Tho PR Rog's 'Rog is pretty damn awesome.

I just checked, and someone posted similar info on another forum. He wrote, and I'm quoting "-16 characters, 4 new ones".

Now if this means 16 characters total or 16 returning characters + 4 new ones is hard to say. I don't know how he found the info or whatnot.

SF2 had 12 characters, though. SF4 started out with 16, including Akuma as a secret character, with Seth and Gouken as bosses. SF3 had 12 in New Generation, and 19 in 3rd Strike.
The most likely answer to me is 16 characters total, which falls between 3NGs original 12 and SF4 Arcade's 19.
I think it'll be 20 characters, 4 new, and maybe 10 from the SFII era. I don't think Bison, Balrog, Deejay, T.Hawk or Vega are coming back, if this takes place after III. And of the original eight I wouldn't mind if Honda, Zangief and maybe Dhalsim skipped out. Guile's bound to be there b/c Charlie's back in some way.

So that'd give us Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, Guile, Cammy, Fei Long, Sagat, Akuma, and Blanka from the II cast. Give 4 spots to returning characters from III, three to Alpha chars, then the last four slots for new characters. I think that'd work out alright.

Shackzam

They should find a way to bring Q in but use Dudley to replace Balrog instead. Always preferred Dudley to Balrog.

Tho PR Rog's 'Rog is pretty damn awesome.

I think what he meant is that Q has a similar play style to Balrog. Dudley plays completely different from Balrog in a boxing sense. Q in third strike is basically a different/cooler type of Balrog.

emag

I think what he meant is that Q has a similar play style to Balrog. Dudley plays completely different from Balrog in a boxing sense. Q in third strike is basically a different/cooler type of Balrog.

Urien plays somewhat similarly to Balrog and is significantly more interesting. More than any other SF3 character, I'd like to see Urien return in SF5 (Makoto is a distant second; Dudley's an even more distant third).

From IV, I hope/expect Juri and Abel to return. Viper's possible, too.

But I really hope Capcom drops the monster-style characters in SFV: no Blanka, Dhalsim, Seth, Gill, Oro, Necro, Twelve, or Q, please. (Urien gem-Charlie are fine.) And I'd be even happier if Remy, Honda, Akuma, Oni, and Evil Ryu are also absent.

smurfx

get some go again
- Street Fighter V won't have "Super" or "Hyper" editions. Just updates. He won't know if these updates will be free or DLC and does not know if they'll be balancing updates or will add characters and stages.
i know this might be a fake rumor but i want this to happen. capcom won't split the the base with updates anymore. even if people don't buy new characters they should be able to play against them online. capcom can also sell DLC to all the people who own the game instead of those who only bought the updates.

Shackzam

Urien plays somewhat similarly to Balrog and is significantly more interesting. More than any other SF3 character, I'd like to see Urien return in SF5 (Makoto is a distant second; Dudley's an even more distant third).

From IV, I hope/expect Juri and Abel to return. Viper's possible, too.

But I really hope Capcom drops the monster-style characters in SFV: no Blanka, Dhalsim, Seth, Gill, Oro, Necro, Twelve, or Q, please. (Urien gem-Charlie are fine.) And I'd be even happier if Remy, Honda, Akuma, Oni, and Evil Ryu are also absent.

No way does Urien play like Balrog, just because he has a charge move that moves him foward doesn't mean he's Balrog. Urien has a projectile, a very weird down up charge move, his supers are completely different then anything Balrog would have. Q literally has the rush punch, the low rush punch, the overhead rush punch. One of his supers is literally a violent buffalo super. The only thing Q doesn't have is the headbutt and obviously Q has different normals then Boxer. Heck, Q has a command grab, which is what Pr Balrog wishes Balrog had.

I'm not arguing that Urien wouldn't be a cool character in SF5, but that Urien plays like Urien and not Balrog at all. Urien is very unique and that is cool. I was just saying that if they were to replace Balrog, Q would be suitable substitute for that play style. But I still love Dudley the most.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Thanks but it's mostly repeated what we already know in other threads since there are few posters that posted the leak information right after SFV accidentally put on youtube before Playstation Experience conference.

According to someone, they said that the timeline is between SF4 and SF3, and we might only have 16 characters.

1. Ryu
2. Chun Li
3. Charlies (maybe?)
4. New
5. New
6. New
7. New

Capcom are watching Killer Instinct's update system and see if it's good concept for them to go with or not.

Yeah, V Trigger is more likely since there are few sources said same thing, unless they might change the name at last minutes.

fader

i know this might be a fake rumor but i want this to happen. capcom won't split the the base with updates anymore. even if people don't buy new characters they should be able to play against them online. capcom can also sell DLC to all the people who own the game instead of those who only bought the updates.

gonna be rough on tournaments if this is true.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
What I hope the starting line-up resembles: Ryu, Chun, Charlie, Q, Alex, Dudley, Ken, Makoto, Claw, Hakan, Akuma, Juri, Necro, Urien, and as many new characters as possible

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
What I hope the starting line-up resembles: Ryu, Chun, Charlie, Q, Alex, Dudley, Ken, Makoto, Claw, Hakan, Akuma, Juri, Necro, Urien, and as many new characters as possible

Doubtful, unless they go mad shit. They are likely to have the original cast from Sf2, add a few from SF3 (BIG MAYBE) and a few new characters. Hope I am wrong...

Renekton

How is GGXrdKI's pay per character system panning out?

I was thinking something relative to this is a decent way to prevent community-splitters like SSF4 and AE because players can buy only the characters they want instead of being forced into a big bundle.

Of course assuming system updates (e.g. Ultra 2, Red Focus, etc) will be free in this model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom