• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken PC Coming, Console Release Mar 6 [Like ME3/XCOM/Ghost Recon]

Xater

Seriously unless they make clear that I can at least unlock all that shit without pre-ordering or spending any money this game is dead.

someone said gems only last 8 seconds; is this true? it doesn't seem that bad then. remember normals can no longer be cancelled into special moves, so getting 2-gem activation in a single combo would prove to be a little bit trickier. so basically you have to land a special/combo, then succesfully land an oki or mixup within 8 seconds for +10%, and then another successful oki or mixup within 4 or 5 seconds for +20%.

because of this, i feel that defense gems might be a fairly good choice. it will allow you to take greater risks in oki/mixup situations.

gems seem to merely serve the purpose to dictate the flow of the match and allow for greater momentum swings, rather than 100% kill combos or comebacks. unlike x-factor where any hit confirm or guard cancel can lead into a dead character or two.

honestly, i'd really like to see the gem system in tournament play. its only too bad capcom had to eff it up with the preorder/se/dlc bs.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
ihearthawthats said:
gems seem to merely serve the purpose to dictate the flow of the match and allow for greater momentum swings, rather than 100% kill combos or comebacks. unlike x-factor where any hit confirm or guard cancel can lead into a dead character or two.

honestly, i'd really like to see the gem system in tournament play. its only too bad capcom had to eff it up with the preorder/se/dlc bs.

It does seem to have an interesting potential. I could understand big tourneys not wanting to embrace it at first, while it's untested, but once people have some experience with it, hopefully, it turns out to just be a new strategic element to the game, and not some gamebreaking stupidity.

And the Preorder/DLC still doesn't really bother me. It'd be simple for preorder stuff to be gems created that would OBVIOUSLY be "too good" for serious play, or something that's just for fun (like the C.gauge gems in pre-order giving something like a new animation for Crossover Attacks, like a nod to a Rival Schools team attack or something. Same damage as a normal one, just a cosmetic change.)

DLC gems could just be silly bells and whistles that are fun to use (like giving a character the outfit or items of another character that's not in the game, for fun), that have no real serious bearing on gameplay.

Or the default gems could be EVERYTHING that's viable for serious Tournament / Ranked Match Play, and the DLC's will only be available in Player Matches. They could have a toggle for this "offline" as well. Very similiar to how SCIV had buffs and powerups on weapons, that were only valid in a few specific modes, but did nothing to interfere with "serious" gameplay.

Capcom should know how to keep their game tourney-gathering viable. They should either be making stuff that WON'T damage that scene, or if they ARE making things that'd give tourneys a problem, they should pony up and provide gathering with special editions that have all the bonus stuff unlocked and on disk by default. Much as Nintendo use to produce "Tournament Edition" versions of their games back in the day.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
SAB CA said:
Capcom should know how to keep their game tourney-gathering viable. They should either be making stuff that WON'T damage that scene, or if they ARE making things that'd give tourneys a problem, they should pony up and provide gathering with special editions that have all the bonus stuff unlocked and on disk by default. Much as Nintendo use to produce "Tournament Edition" versions of their games back in the day.
So local tournaments get the shaft then?

Kimosabae

Banned
Every copy of the game comes with a similar base of gems, right? If so, I don't see the problem. You'd want to ban any DLC/Preorder gems, not the gem system all together.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hitokage said:
So local tournaments get the shaft then?

SAB CA said:
Or the default gems could be EVERYTHING that's viable for serious Tournament / Ranked Match Play, and the DLC's will only be available in Player Matches. They could have a toggle for this "offline" as well. Very similiar to how SCIV had buffs and powerups on weapons, that were only valid in a few specific modes, but did nothing to interfere with "serious" gameplay.

If it is done in that way, Locals wouldn't be any different. But no, as far as I'm concerned, Capcom should support them too. How much would it cost Capcom to support various scenes with the content they made? They could even have a registration slip in the back of the game manual, that allows you sign up with them, for tournament support. Or sell a DLC license that allows the file to be compied onto multiple systems.

And from (admittedly limited) personal experience, I've rarely seen local tourneys that are as strict about rules as something like Evo. When it's just a group of friends and locals getting together, "House Rules" seem to apply much more often.

It's not even as big a deal as Jill and Shuma on MvC3. And hopefully, the lack of those 2 showing up in anything official, due to lack of availability, has grown Capcom's ideas on handling DLC some.

Banning Gems that are truly exclusive to Special editions/Preorders is one thing, but banning DLC that is available to everyone?

Terrible.

Chindogg

Slamtastic said:
Banning Gems that are truly exclusive to Special editions/Preorders is one thing, but banning DLC that is available to everyone?

Terrible.

So we spend an additional 10min each match to set up each player's gems? Sorry, but MK's check system is bad enough. No tournament organizer's gonna sit and wait around for that.

Kimosabae

Banned
Where is the assumption coming from that it going to take "X" amount of time to "setup" gems? Is there a gameplay vid that I can use for a frame of reference here?

Chindogg

Kimosabae said:
Where is the assumption coming from that it going to take "X" amount of time to "setup" gems? Is there a gameplay vid that I can use for a frame of reference here?

MrWizard is an organizer for the largest tournament on the planet. Companies ask him to feature their game at EVO. Connect the dots here.

AAK

Chindogg said:
So we spend an additional 10min each match to set up each player's gems? Sorry, but MK's check system is bad enough. No tournament organizer's gonna sit and wait around for that.

How long does it take to press 5 extra buttons? I think you guys are over exaggerating the time issue. And even if we have the oddball tournament player who takes forever being indecisive about their choice in the character select screen, every fighting game has a time limit for selecting it.

From my observation, the purpose of the gem system was to make mirror matches unique, and I think it's a brilliant idea. The gem system isn't console exclusive so I really don't see the logic in banning them when it makes such a profound impact on the gameplay of this title.

Chindogg

AAK said:
How long does it take to press 5 extra buttons? I think you guys are over exaggerating the time issue. And even if we have the oddball tournament player who takes forever being indecisive about their choice in the character select screen, every fighting game has a time limit for selecting it.

From my observation, the purpose of the gem system was to make mirror matches unique, and I think it's a brilliant idea. The gem system isn't console exclusive so I really don't see the logic in banning them when it makes such a profound impact on the gameplay of this title.

Try running a tournament sometime.

Kimosabae

Banned
Chindogg said:
MrWizard is an organizer for the largest tournament on the planet. Companies ask him to feature their game at EVO. Connect the dots here.

What dots? Deference to an authority doesn't involve "connecting dots". Please.

Chindogg

Kimosabae said:
What dots? Deference to an authority doesn't involve "connecting dots". Please.

If you can't see how he would know to make a decision to ban something outright before a game's release, then there's no point in explaining. He's not just eye-testing the mechanic's power.

Sayah

z.jpg

Y.jpg

Sayah

Chindogg said:
If you can't see how he would know to make a decision to ban something outright before a game's release, then there's no point in explaining. He's not just eye-testing the mechanic's power.
SFXTK is really taking bold steps in evolving the fighting genre. Whether the mechanics in SFXTK succeed or fail has yet to be seen but banning the gem system without even testing it is quite silly. We don't even have full details of how the gem system will work. The game releases in March which gives enough time for players until EVO to experiment with the game and see if the gem system is good for the tournament scene.

Kimosabae

Banned
Chindogg said:

I can't see because you're not showing me anything. This is the same guy that wanted to force feed item play to a community at (in essence) their own tournament. His authority is more meaningless to me than most people's. Considering he gave zero reasoning for the decision, you should be skeptical too.

GrayFoxPL

There are also support abilities such as auto-guard and auto-throw break. Auto guard guards any attack, so long as you are able (i.e. not in recovery frames) but costs 1 bar of meter per blocked attack. If you have no meter while the auto-guard gem is active, it won't do anything.

Lol auto guard is useless thank God.

Who'd want to lose one bar of meter to block one punch?

Fraeon

The one thing 3SOE and HDR do right is the button checks. I do hope they're doing it the right way this time instead of having to select every button from the menu. That way not only do button checks last a shorter amount of time, gem checks would be less of a problem. Maybe.

Of course if the thing can be disabled, I can see major tournaments getting rid of the hassle and just not bothering with them to begin with.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Slamtastic said:

Terrible.
I can kind of see why. I don't really trust Capcom with an item system that effects gameplay. They have a bad habit of nickel and diming their fighting game fans.

Yeah, It's still really strange that they revealed only a Capcom character.

I'd assume there would be contractual obligations to reveal them in pairs.

Chavelo

Chindogg said:
There's reasoning, but it involves possibly violating NDA. Just wait for the explanation when the game nears.

So... We listen to someone that just went right ahead and said no without an explanation. K, FUCK GEMS CAUSE MR WIZARD SAID SO, GUYS!

"Why are the gems banned"

I dunno! He's prolly in some NDA or something... DO NOT QUESTION THE SRK ILLUMINATI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08S4poMGvwA

GrayFoxPL said:
Low tier, no problem.

Teh fuck? It's like people didn't play AE PC. Mods > Consoles.

BOOOOM

Chindogg

AAK said:
I have run tournaments in the past thank you. You still haven't convinced me why it should be banned.

12-16 man tournaments aren't majors like EVO, UFGT, Final Round, etc. 5min per match to set gems and buttons don't mean much in 12-16 man tournaments but in tournaments with upwards to 1024 people it will take forever.

There are also support abilities such as auto-guard and auto-throw break. Auto guard guards any attack, so long as you are able (i.e. not in recovery frames) but costs 1 bar of meter per blocked attack. If you have no meter while the auto-guard gem is active, it won't do anything.

Gems that automatically break throws for you? Gems that block for you? Do you not see how absurdly broken this sort of thing can be? These gems actually exist. The majority of them will be DLC, but adding gems like this fundamentally change how the game is changed and not for the better. Any non-character ability that blocks and breaks throws for you cannot be allowed in tournament play.

Chavelo said:
So... We listen to someone that just went right ahead and said no without an explanation. K, FUCK GEMS CAUSE MR WIZARD SAID SO, GUYS!

"Why are the gems banned"

I dunno! He's prolly in some NDA or something... DO NOT QUESTION THE SRK ILLUMINATI.

I do know, so do many people. But I'm not gonna possibly compromise someone's NDA just to explain in detail why they're going to be banned. I listed some explanation based on what's currently released above.

AAK

Chindogg said:
12-16 man tournaments aren't majors like EVO, UFGT, Final Round, etc. 5min per match to set gems and buttons don't mean much in 12-16 man tournaments but in tournaments with upwards to 1024 people it will take forever.

Where are you getting that it takes 5 minutes to set up gems?

Chavelo

Chindogg said:

AAK, bro. Just... stop arguing, okay? Unless Mr. Wizard taps your shoulder and tell you to run the AAK tourney in your hometown, you haven't set up a real tournament. God, what a scrub.

Chindogg, your trolling skills are amazing.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Aren't we getting a bit overblown with claiming the Gem concept is bad because they'll take too long at the select screen?

How is this any different from MVC3? People who play a regular team at a tournament aren't going to be picking gems willy-nilly. They'll know which three Gems they want (or have a short list of a few combinations) and pick them as fast as tournament players pick assists in Marvel.

As for concepts like auto-guard, there's that little detail that these are abilities you must earn, then activate, then use up a whole meter for EACH hit that's auto-guarded.

Yep, that's broken and is totally gonna let one person win the whole round without even trying.

Compared to the Ultra system in SFIV, what we've seen of the Gem system is so tech, it's nuclear physics.

Nyoro SF

Burning meter to break throws or auto-block means you're going to have a rough time. No tag cancels mid combo, no EX moves, no Alpha Counters, no Supers... you're going to run through meter super fast doing all this auto-blocking and auto-teching that you won't be able to play the game to the fullest.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Sayah said:
SFXTK is really taking bold steps in evolving the fighting genre. Whether the mechanics in SFXTK succeed or fail has yet to be seen but banning the gem system without even testing it is quite silly. We don't even have full details of how the gem system will work. The game releases in March which gives enough time for players until EVO to experiment with the game and see if the gem system is good for the tournament scene.

How is SF x TK evolving the fighting genre?

Also, how do we know the organizer for EVO isn't actively involved in testing the game, knowing its mechanics, and more? Same with top players in the FGC? I would wager than they already are involved.

AAK

Kintaro said:
Also, how do we know the organizer for EVO isn't actively involved in testing the game, knowing its mechanics, and more? Same with top players in the FGC? I would wager than they already are involved.

How do you know they are? Aside from Seth Killian & Maximillian which other American player is out there testing the game?

Top Bottom