• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streets of Rage 4 - Retro Reveal

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The retro stuff I like. The non-retro stuff, not so much. Honestly, as much as I love SOR - I'm not sold on this.

RAIDEN1

The better option would have been like what they did in Secret of the Monkey Island and Full Throttle, switch between the make-over graphics or trying to stay true to the 16-bit origins from before, with just a press of a button..

Enjay

Banned
The better option would have been like what they did in Secret of the Monkey Island and Full Throttle, switch between the make-over graphics or trying to stay true to the 16-bit origins from before, with just a press of a button..
Now THAT's how The Dragon's Trap was and agreed that would've been infinitely better than what they did. This was a poor way of trying to patronize the old streets of rage fans who aren't fans of this flash animation art style.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
In some ways this feels like an admission that the new art style is shit, a desperate throw of the dice, but it’s not enough.

SegaShack

I was gonna get the standard edition, now I'm thinking about splurging on the special edition cause this looks so good.
FYI it wont ship for 4 months minimum. I was considering physical as well but would rather get the game in 2 weeks when its out vs wait forever for LRG who already has a shady reputation.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
This is fantastic news, glad to see the software team listening to the fans and giving them everything they want. It's a pity the music from Streets of Rage 3 won't be included, but that's what happens when certain musicians hold out for more money. Whoever the guilty party is deserves to be shuffled onto the rocket to the sun along with that jackass who's holding Sonic 3 & Knuckles hostage.

I'm calling this already: Videogame of the Year 2020. I hope SoR4 sells like hotcakes and inspires more classic revivals.

McCheese

The "Retro" mode being half-arsed and keeping the high-res backgrounds and enemies, really demonstrates how the older 16-bit graphics implied a lot of a detail that is disappointingly not present in the new high-resolution assets.

I hate rolling out ye olde "looks like a flash game" remark but when you see titles like KOF XII show you can have higher resolution sprites whilst retaining the original 16-bit art-style, It's valid criticism.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The "Retro" mode being half-arsed and keeping the high-res backgrounds and enemies, really demonstrates how the older 16-bit graphics implied a lot of a detail that is disappointingly not present in the new high-resolution assets

Good 2D costs a lot of money and people underestimate how much care, craft, and details there was in those 2D games.

Old Retro

"This item is currently in manufacturing. Artwork is subject to change, and the product will not ship for 2-4 months after the pre-order window closes. "

I might pick up the digital, even though I would love the actual physical game. Not gonna wait fuckin months though.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The "Retro" mode being half-arsed and keeping the high-res backgrounds and enemies, really demonstrates how the older 16-bit graphics implied a lot of a detail that is disappointingly not present in the new high-resolution assets.

I hate rolling out ye olde "looks like a flash game" remark but when you see titles like KOF XII show you can have higher resolution sprites whilst retaining the original 16-bit art-style, It's valid criticism.
I would have liked Dragon Crowns style myself 😁
Ybia.gif

Vs
PANDdTF.gif

Last edited:

wzy

Game is dope. The art style is ass but old Old Man Axel is cool and it plays better than the original.

Pejo

Gold Member
I was looking up impressions of this game to decide if I wanted to buy it or not, and I saw that it has a secret that essentially just adds scanlines and a CRT filter. It improves the aesthetic of the game so much but then I read it's only usable for secret bosses. If they'd add that option for the whole game I'd buy it instantly. Maybe someone will mod it to be able to use it full time.

Here's what I mean (spoilers obviously):

Last edited:
Top Bottom