• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stretchmo / Fullblox |OT| Stretch your wallet and your brain!

Simbabbad

Don't you just hate it when you end up getting stuck and reset the puzzle and wind up in the same position only to realize you had done everything right but just don't notice a block you were supposed to push/pull/stretch?
Nah, I love it. It means I'm meeting some resistance!

zlCfzTWzc7ggoGQ8hC

Currently at 75% on the main pack (Mallo), it's getting really, really fun. It started getting interesting around 50%, but it's really around 75% that the 3D aspect is really been used a lot, and you need to rewire your brain accordingly.

Just tried the other packs for a few levels, they look excellent too (and more "to the point").

Like the other two, the game looks gorgeous in 3D (in 2D, not so much).

tesqui

Just got through first pack and it was a great time through and through. Only complaint is that the last few puzzles bog down the framerate significantly at points. This is of course on the original XL, don't know how performance would be on the N3DS.

BooJoh

I'm really enjoying this as I have the rest of the series. The 3D levels and stretching in all directions adds extra depth and difficulty without being quite as obtuse as Crashmo, which is good but still rests in last place for me.

My only complaint is that sharing is a step back from Pushmo World. You can save QR codes like in the older games, and you can post them on Miiverse, but you can't load them from Miiverse, nor can you save them directly from Miiverse to load them from your 3DS, so the easiest way to share is to post them on Miiverse or elsewhere and to use a secondary device to read them with the 3DS's camera.

I put together a 3D update for one of my older puzzles.

zlCfzTW6TboKreKbsE

Just outta curiosity, why us it named differently in the UK?

I don't know if the reason has been given, but a lot of Nintendo's digital games since the Art Style series on DSiWare/WiiWare have had different names between regions. In Pushmo/Pullblox's case it's been -mo in NA and -blox in EU since the first game.

RagnarokX

I bought the whole game and played several levels in each attraction, but I couldn't help myself and completed Corin's Fortress of Fun first. Some really clever puzzles involving the enemies. Some of the last levels really make you think.

Loptous

Just beat the main attraction last night. I feet like the puzzles in the 9th stage were actually pretty easy. Puzzle 100 did give me some hard time.
There's a shooting game in the credits :O

I have a bit of a complaint about the 3D stages though. Sometimes, it's just hard to see what you're doing when you're in the middle of it (electric outlet), and it's also a bit difficult to track what's happening on all 4 faces of a puzzle (ocean floor).

Fantastic game overall though, and I like the new logic quite a lot.

Foffy

Banned
Just got through first pack and it was a great time through and through. Only complaint is that the last few puzzles bog down the framerate significantly at points. This is of course on the original XL, don't know how performance would be on the N3DS.

I'm kind of shocked at how bad the performance is. The game can consistently drop even below 30fps, which is worse than Crashmo's performance..

Where the hell did this come from? I love the Blox/Mo series, so it's a shame Nintendo doesn't really promote them much :\

I believe they announced the game this week, and bam; out it is.

I love quick releases. No need to be hyped for years, like with Zelda Wii U.

BooJoh

I hope it's eventually possible to place gadgets on the sides or back of 3D Stretchmo. I had to add a third color to this one to make it work better since I couldn't put the flag on the back.

zlCfzTW_lhIl3clwGp

I think my favorite mode so far is the Sculpture Square. The 3D Stretchmo are just really cool.

duckroll

I cleared the first two sets in the first world. Pretty easy for anyone familiar with the series. Then I tried out the world with enemies in the puzzles. Cleared the first 9, stuck on the 10th one. Trickier than I thought!

Does this require an NNID to download? I'm still rocking two 3DSes atm (one ACNL XL, one n3DS) and I haven't decided if I'm going to system transfer yet meaning that I can't get any F2P games which require NNID on the n3DS until I decide either way. :/

TheMoon

Does this require an NNID to download? I'm still rocking two 3DSes atm (one ACNL XL, one n3DS) and I haven't decided if I'm going to system transfer yet meaning that I can't get any F2P games which require NNID on the n3DS until I decide either way. :/

All free software requires an NNID.

This is really great to the point that I almost wish I had spent the $10 on this instead of Pushmo World (I finally got around to buying that not 3 weeks ago is all...)

Pokemaniac

I'm kind of shocked at how bad the performance is. The game can consistently drop even below 30fps, which is worse than Crashmo's performance..

It seems that Nintendo at this point is targeting N3DS internally, since Stretchmo has been a perfect 60fps on my N3DS XL so far. I wouldn't be surprised if this situation repeats a bunch more times as the 3DS begins to reach the end of it's life.

adroit

I wonder how Fire Emblem If will run on the Old 3DS. Dang.

If I remember correctly, Nintendo's Pushmo puzzles were all smooth on the Old 3DS but large user-created puzzles could bog down horrendously.

Vena

If I remember correctly, Nintendo's Pushmo puzzles were all smooth on the Old 3DS but large user-created puzzles could bog down horrendously.

FE:If should run fine, since its the same engine but tuned better. When they first made FE:A, they had to avoid feet because they were concerned for performance, which ended up not being an actual issue and in general the tools for 3DS development have evolved.

TheMoon

Weirdly they haven't mentioned any possible N3DS enhancements for FE If at all. Not even the (obvious?) amiibo support for the FE figures.

BooJoh

RE: Framerate

I've managed to see some framerate drops on my n3DS when playing around with the edit mode and making a rather large area of blocks, but mostly it's been staying a smooth 60 fps.

Foffy

Banned
Anyone have a solution for the 42nd Stretchmo puzzle for Corin? I really have no clue what the hell I'm doing.

EDIT: WHAT THE HELL IS WITH ME FINDING THE SOLUTIONS ON MY FIRST TRY AFTER MAKING A POST ABOUT HELP? Is this a fuckin' sign? D:

TheMoon

Anyone have a solution for the 42nd Stretchmo puzzle for Corin? I really have no clue what the hell I'm doing.

EDIT: WHAT THE HELL IS WITH ME FINDING THE SOLUTIONS ON MY FIRST TRY AFTER MAKING A POST ABOUT HELP? Is this a fuckin' sign? D:

This always happens to everyone. Don't sweat it. :p

octopiggy

Just finished Mallo's levels and I'm enjoying it as much as the others (haven't played Crashmo).

The later levels felt a bit overwhelming as they don't seem quite as concise. I'm sure this will become a bigger problem in harder levels. It's just hard to tell what area to concentrate on.
I'm playing on an OG XL and the frame rate drops are a bit of a shame although that sort of stuff doesn't tend to bother me too much.

Going to work though the NES levels next I think.

I also can't get over how bad the European names for these games are. They might as well call Mario "Jump over things". Christ.

The framerate is also really noticeable, which isn't really excusable for a game this simple looking. I love the 'Mo titles, but man this reeks of quick and dirty cash grab.

Foffy

Banned
This always happens to everyone. Don't sweat it. :p

I'm not stuck on the 50th puzzle for Corin, and I can sure as shit promise you I won't solve it right after this post. I can't even get on the main part of it...):

Probably does me no favors that I am juggling between Stretchmo and BOXBOY.

Simbabbad

I love the 'Mo titles, but man this reeks of quick and dirty cash grab.
Given the excellence of level design... no.

Also, the Pushmo series always had performance issues for the most complicated puzzles (user puzzles in particular), except obviously on Wii U. So given that Fullblox is much more complicated, none of this is surprising or makes this particular game any different from the others in this area. Remember the horrible performance of the 3D Fallblox levels?

Anyway, I have a N3DS and all is fine here.

Decided to pick this up after loving Pushmo but skipping Crashmo and World. And yep, I'm hooked again. Might even go back and get the other two if they're worth it. I'm not even sure why I skipped them.

TheMoon

Decided to pick this up after loving Pushmo but skipping Crashmo and World. And yep, I'm hooked again. Might even go back and get the other two if they're worth it. I'm not even sure why I skipped them.

Sure they're worth it but I think you might get tired of them if you try to play them all so close to one another. Especially since Pushmo World is just Pushmo OG Redux for the most part.

Foffy

Banned

Crashmo is the one that deviates from this formula the most, which is what makes it so difficult. I still suggest it, but with a warning: shit's incredibly hard and different than the other games.

In fact, it's probably one of the hardest games Nintendo has put out in years. It's akin to being the F-Zero GX of puzzle games. :p

Simbabbad

In fact, it's probably one of the hardest games Nintendo has put out in years. It's akin to being the F-Zero GX of puzzle games. :p
I wouldn't go that far, but indeed the game mechanics make it naturally much harder than Pushmo.

Pushmo's success come from it standing on very simple mechanics with mostly reversible situations, even simple pixel art copies are entertaining to play (which makes user levels much better than in most games). Whereas Crashmo demands to be careful and really plan ahead because you can get stuck easily, and to have real puzzle design talent to create levels.

So Intelligent System's work consisted in trying to make Pushmo levels harder than they naturally get (because the game mechanics are so simple), even using the "fake switch" trick in several areas, whereas they struggled making Crashmo accessible to the player (and succeeded IMO even if the harder levels are crazy hard). They're completely different kinds of puzzle design despite the games looking so similar.

Myself, I love both. From what I played, Stretchmo is closer to Pushmo, but smarter.

Mandelbo

Just finished going through the welcome levels, and I'm enjoying it so far! As someone who's completely new to the series, would this be a good starting point? Or should I try one of the other entries first?

Simbabbad

@Mandelbo: Stretchmo is basically Pushmo in 3D: instead of pulling blocks to the front of the screen up to three blocks (and pushing them to the back), you can pull/push them up to two blocks in any direction.

The earlier levels of Stretchmo are therefore actually quite close to Pushmo, then later it really starts to use the 3D aspect. I'd say you can play Stretchmo first if you want because it goes real slow at first and stays close to Pushmo, but Pushmo is probably easier to design levels for, so infinite user levels of quality make Pushmo a valuable game even if you own Stretchmo. Pushmo World on Wii U has (lousy, but workable) Miiverse sharing, HD and a few extra gimmicks, Pushmo on 3DS really uses the 3D effect well - which one to get depends on your taste.

Crashmo is actually quite different and closer to a more ordinary, HARD puzzle game (but still very manageable), it's nearly a spin-off.

So in short, you can play Stretchmo first if you want but the others are still worth checking out before or after. You can buy the cheaper Pushmo and then wait for a special offer on Stretchmo (but given the "pack" nature of Stretchmo, it might never happen).

Mandelbo

@Mandelbo: Stretchmo is basically Pushmo in 3D: instead of pulling blocks to the front of the screen up to three blocks (and pushing them to the back), you can pull/push them up to two blocks in any direction.

The earlier levels of Stretchmo are therefore actually quite close to Pushmo, then later it really starts to use the 3D aspect. I'd say you can play Stretchmo first if you want because it goes real slow at first and stays close to Pushmo, but Pushmo is probably easier to design levels for, so infinite user levels of quality make Pushmo a valuable game even if you own Stretchmo. Pushmo World on Wii U has (lousy, but workable) Miiverse sharing, HD and a few extra gimmicks, Pushmo on 3DS really uses the 3D effect well - which one to get depends on your taste.

Crashmo is actually quite different and closer to a more ordinary, HARD puzzle game (but still very manageable), it's nearly a spin-off.

So in short, you can play Stretchmo first if you want but the others are still worth checking out before or after. You can buy the cheaper Pushmo and then wait for a special offer on Stretchmo (but given the "pack" nature of Stretchmo, it might never happen).

Thanks. I think I'll stick with Fullblox for the time being and pick up Pullblox a bit later on.

XaosWolf

Certainly enjoy this one more than Fallblox!
I felt that gravity over complicated the mechanics and didn't feel like an extension of Pullblox's mechanics.

Fullblox (Stretchblox would have been much better) Is exactly what I imagined with simply adding a 3D element to the pulling mechanics.

Makes it a whole lot more fun to play, and certainly less infuriating. The extra modes/challenges are a welcome addition to the series too!

As for user levels, here's my first one for Fullblox. Let me know what ya think or if the difficulty setting is right:

img_20150515_122443kpr0y.jpg

EDIT: Are there more levels planned at all?
Also Picross 3D 2 would be amazing... and at QR puzzle creator!

Fireblend

Banned
Liar! At best it took you three days :D

Welp ya got me =/. It is a pain to make 3D levels though, even though I have no idea how it could be improved unless someone figured out the QR format and built a PC level editor. And I wish gadgets could be placed on any side instead of just the front. Had to work around that several times.

zroid

Banned
Welp ya got me =/. It is a pain to make 3D levels though, even though I have no idea how it could be improved unless someone figured out the QR format and built a PC level editor. And I wish gadgets could be placed on any side instead of just the front. Had to work around that several times.

I think someone did this with Pushmo...

tesqui

Gotta say I really like this game. I can't stop playing it. The puzzles are really well designed.

Especially when things get real tricky and you finally figure it out. That's a pretty amazing feeling it produces.

Foffy

Banned
Does anyone has solution for Corin's 50th and Papa Blox's 19th? Super stumped on both. In fact, I started Papa Blox's "campaign" after being stuck on Corin's last puzzle for over an hour, still failing to even get on the main piece of it.

octopiggy

The relative lack of activity in here makes me think that the stealth release didn't really work.

Anyway, Finished Poppy's levels and I'm half way through Corrin's which are a nice change of pace. I'm glad that not all levels have enemies as it can give you less time to formulate a plan. It still adds an extra layer to the game that I'm enjoying though.

Top Bottom