• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stretchmo / Fullblox |OT| Stretch your wallet and your brain!

zroid

Banned
ziSErwS.png

RAAOkFe.png

Platform: Nintendo 3DS eShop
Release Date: May 12, 2015 (JP); May 14, 2015 (NA, EU)
Genre: Puzzle / Platformer
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Intelligent Systems
Price (full bundle): $9.99 (US) /$10.99 (CAN) / £8.99 / €9.99 / ¥1000
Price (individual packs): 3 x $2.99, 1 x $4.99

Note: Stretchmo is free to download from the eShop. After completing the first 7 stages, you will be able to purchase the rest of the content from within the game.

UPDATE: apparently if you purchase one of the packs individually (for $2.99), then you will be eligible to purchase a bundle containing the remaining packs at a slight discount. It is still cheapest to purchase the bundle first, but you can try one pack and then purchase the bundle, and save a little money.​

uugZ3Cq.png

uU9krOS.png

Unlike Pushmo, you can manipulate blocks in two dimensions (like Crashmo), but mechanically the puzzles are more similar to Pushmo than Crashmo. The gimmick in Stretchmo is you can "stretch" blocks out up to 2 stages from their origin point, in all four directions. You just need to get a handle on your block, either front, side, or back, and pull away! In fact, you can stretch the same block out in all four directions at the same time. So, for example, a block that fills 1x1 on the floor grid can be pulled out to fill as much as 5x5 if pulled out two stages from all sides.​

Eh9gjFa.png

b26U03T.png

jvNzJkv.png

4k72Fci.png

By purchasing any of the available content, Stretchmo Studio will be unlocked. Here, you can create and share your own Stretchmo puzzles with QR codes, and scan codes to try puzzles created by other users.​

G6YDTVS.png

7Fsuyos.jpg

4nIxvQx.jpg

Y6oKzHP.jpg

stretchmo4lbj5.gif

vUzKECx.png

Nintendo should add gameplay variations like these to the Wii U game as expansion packs.

But now Intelligent Systems needs to get to work on Paper Mario U dammit!

OmegaFax

I bought the NES Expo pack ... only through the first two puzzles. They're a bit challenging ... very different from Pushmo because of the rotating camera. It's probably worth noting that if you buy one pack, the rest of the packs have a bundle pack priced at $8.99. You don't have to buy the rest individually and you're not completely penalized if you wanted only a specific pack to start off with.

Kouriozan

In Pushmo World, most of the harder stages were the retro ones.
I'm glad they made another game, can't get enough of this IP.

zroid

Banned
can't wait to get stuck in this next week. unfortunately need to wait till I can get an eShop card.

whenever one of these 'Mo games come out they totally take over my life till I'm finished with them

JonnyKong

First ever time playing this series so I'm pretty excited. I'll stick with the first bunch of levels to start with and then I might buy more plaza things if I enjoy it. I'm pretty useless at puzzle games though so no doubt I'll get stuck pretty fast. I also have a hefty backlog going on so I don't even know when I'll get round to this. Interesting stories about my life for y'all.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hoping to get more into this today. Bought the bundle because this is a great series to play in short bursts, but still feel accomplished.

Fireblend

Banned
Bought the full bundle as soon as this went up on the eShop. I absolutely ADORED Pushmo and Crashmo, so this is a no brainer. Such a pleasant surprise from Nintendo to just drop a new game in one of my favorite franchises unannounced. Can't wait to dig in.

Yep, super interested in this! Never played the others, but I love a good puzzle game.

If you like this, do consider playing the other games. They're great, specially Pushmo.

Edit: Oh and those robots are adorable.

Kinsei

Banned
I just tried the demo/trial thing and really enjoyed it. Are the other games similar enough that I would enjoy them as well?

Fireblend

Banned
I just tried the demo/trial thing and really enjoyed it. Are the other games similar enough that I would enjoy them as well?

Yes, absolutely. Pushmo is my favorite, but Crashmo is also pretty good, I just think it can get more difficult and feels less "natural" than Pushmo, I got stuck way more often with it.

daydream

Banned
FYI you can change the controls in the Help Centre. I changed them to 'Classic' since I want my rewind on L.

All the games in the 'mo series. Also, BOXBOY!

Oxx

I downloaded the free part, but it mainly served to remind me that I came nowhere close to finishing the first two games.

tesqui

hmm.. This or Pushmo World? There both about the same price. (If I were to buy the whole bundle of stretchmo)

Obviously Stretchmo just came out, but I wonder if i'd get more out of Pushmo world?

OmegaFax

The Chain Chomp stage in the NES pack is rattling my brain. I'll probably be something really super obvious but damn ... these things are a challenge.

hmm.. This or Pushmo World? There both about the same price. (If I were to buy the whole bundle of stretchmo)

Obviously Stretchmo just came out, but I wonder if i'd get more out of Pushmo world?

If you're on the fence ... you can always buy one Stretchmo pack and try it out. You probably won't blow through all 50 stages of any particular pack in one night (or you might) ... you'd still get a discount for the other packs (it'd cost you $12 total vs. $10 though) ... but even with one pack, you'd have set of levels and access to the level editor (where you can import levels).

You're able to spin the camera the entire puzzle in Sketchmo ... eh, it's a completely different mechanic from what you'd see out of Pushmo and Pushmo World. The levels in Sketchmo operate in more of a pure 3D space vs. just seeing the puzzles from the front ... pushing forward and back, etc.

Pushmo World has Miiverse support. The sorting feature leaves a lot to be desired. It is compatible with 3DS created levels and most levels created in the Wii U version can be shared back to the original 3DS one. Dealing with QR codes is cumbersome (whether you're using the GamePad's camera to scan QR codes or the 3DS cameras).

Stretchmo is two steps forward ... one step back. No Miiverse integration but the levels can be imported and shared from the SD card. It's theoretically easier to just go in the 3DS web browser and save custom levels or download them from your PC.

From what I've played, Pushmo World is cleaner and definitely benefits from a larger screen both on the TV and GamePad. Sketchmo is a bit different and eh, challenging? It takes a little getting used to. It's not a walk in the park (and neither was Pushmo World.)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
great to see this series continuing, even if after three episodes, I think I'm gonna buy just the NES pack this time around

Tried it, but it's jarring coming from the 60fps version. Cool that it's free so people can try it, but I'll stick with the paid version. I'm only like 20% through it anyway. Wish I could get a free version of Polarium. This whole F2P thing seems to be working out well for Nintendo.

Also, cool OP

Fireblend

Banned
Now that I've spent a couple of hours with the game, I have to say I'm really satisfied, and this might be my favorite "-mo" game. The core pulling mechanic works brilliantly, it feels just as natural as Pushmo's; with Crashmo I had the issue that I never felt the mechanics were as clever as the original's, but here they're very intuitive.

What pushes this past Pushmo though is the variety in level design; none of the packs feels excessively gimmicky, I was skeptic of the more "actiony" one, but it works so well (just as the other modes do) that it could have been the focus of a standalone game. And the "sculpture" pack is just perfect.

Great job, Nintendo. Oh and I'm glad I can play this in 60fps. It plays and looks gorgeous.

WonderzL

Banned
Tried it, but it's jarring coming from the 60fps version. Cool that it's free so people can try it, but I'll stick with the paid version. I'm only like 20% through it anyway. Wish I could get a free version of Polarium. This whole F2P thing seems to be working out well for Nintendo.

Also, cool OP

Now that I've spent a couple of hours with the game, I have to say I'm really satisfied, and this might be my favorite "-mo" game. The core pulling mechanic works brilliantly, it feels just as natural as Pushmo's; with Crashmo I had the issue that I never felt the mechanics were as clever as the original's, but here they're very intuitive.

What pushes this past Pushmo though is the variety in level design; none of the packs feels excessively gimmicky, I was skeptic of the more "actiony" one, but it works so well (just as the other modes do) that it could have been the focus of a standalone game. And the "sculpture" pack is just perfect.

Great job, Nintendo. Oh and I'm glad I can play this in 60fps. It plays and looks gorgeous.

Is it 30fps or 60fps???

tesqui

Yeah I have old gen 3DS XL and it's definitely not 60fps. You notice it the first 20-30 minutes, but after that I stopped caring. It's not like this is some intensive fps. It plays fine @ 30 for me.

Edit: I'm stuck on challenge 70 of 100 in the first pack. I'm sure I'll solve it after I take a rest from it for a bit.

zroid

Banned
I'll try it on both my 3DSXL and New 3DSXL just to compare the framerate directly.

luckily it's free to download :p

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Downloaded it, but going to wait until I finish a few things before I buy the bundle. Definitely plan to at some point.

Foffy

Banned
Ugh, Challenge 5-3 has me stumped. I'm pretty sure Pushmo and Pushmo World had the exact same puzzle, too..

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Playing on my OG launch-day 3DS, only twice have I noticed the framerate seriously dropped. Once was in a Corin stage because there was a ton of enemies at once, & then on 2-9 on Poppy's stages (I guess there was so many blocks at once/it was bigger?). Otherwise, I haven't felt as though it was a huge distraction.

It does feel nice having 4 different types/characters now. It's nice to clear a set as one character, then switch things up & do a different set as another character.

tesqui

these later challenges in the first pack get pretty tricky. As expected of course.

Interestingly this is the first -mo game to really hook me. The only other one I've played is the original Pushmo, but I only got less than halfway through that one and called it quits.

I haven't even touched the other three attractions yet. I want to get through the first one before I check the other ones out. They all seem pretty great from what I hear.

TheMoon

these later challenges in the first pack get pretty tricky. As expected of course.

Interestingly this is the first -mo game to really hook me. The only other one I've played is the original Pushmo, but I only got less than halfway through that one and called it quits.

I haven't even touched the other three attractions yet. I want to get through the first one before I check the other ones out. They all seem pretty great from what I hear.

There are far less boring tutorial levels in this one. Of course they're still there but I feel you get told about everything once and then you're free to do whatever.

Kinsei

Banned
Don't you just hate it when you end up getting stuck and reset the puzzle and wind up in the same position only to realize you had done everything right but just don't notice a block you were supposed to push/pull/stretch?

Top Bottom