• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stretchmo / Fullblox |OT| Stretch your wallet and your brain!

zroid

Banned
haha oh wow I was just playing the Bus stage and got framerate'd. On the N3DS!

framerate had been so solid till that point it was a little surprising

Pokemaniac

haha oh wow I was just playing the Bus stage and got framerate'd. On the N3DS!

framerate had been so solid till that point it was a little surprising

I can confirm. The game was definitely dropping frames on my N3DS on Mallo's last two puzzles.

octopiggy

Finally unlocked the final world. I found the last 5 NES levels pretty toughI had to come back to them a few times each.

I think I'm going to slow down on the last world and just try levels every now and again.

theaface

That Princess Zelda puzzle (No. 42) is causing me all kinds of problems! I'll stick with it though - I've come too far to give up now!

Edit: And literally 2 minutes after posting this I have my eureka moment and solve it!

KooopaKid

Banned
Completed the first 100 puzzles. It's very slow to get challenging. I know it's the 4th game in the series so I'm a pro but I still think Pushmo was harder. Half-way through "World 2", not really getting harder either.
Maybe the gameplay rules of this one are a little too forgiving. You have a lot of options to stretch in every directions. It's probably why it's easier.
Played a bit of the puzzles with enemies in it and they seem the most fun.

Simbabbad

Maybe the gameplay rules of this one are a little too forgiving. You have a lot of options to stretch in every directions. It's probably why it's easier.
That's what I thought too, but like zroid said, after Pullblox and Fallblox and Pullblox World, we're trained... and yet the second half of the NES levels are by far the hardest levels I've seen in the series, and I have yet to unlock the final world. It's not easier, all in all, the first 3/4 seem easier because we're used to the general concept, and the rest is harder.

theaface

Just finished all four worlds and unlocked the fifth. I must say, some of the latter NES Expo puzzles were deliciously challenging. Fantastic game so far.

duckroll

Cleared the first two worlds, got totally stuck on the final puzzle in the Adventure World (Dragon), so I tried to tackle the last few NES Expo puzzles, got stuck on 3D Mario. I think I'm too tired to think straight right now lol. But damn, the puzzles in the final stretch are sooooo good.

KooopaKid

Banned
Cleared the first two worlds, got totally stuck on the final puzzle in the Adventure World (Dragon), so I tried to tackle the last few NES Expo puzzles, got stuck on 3D Mario. I think I'm too tired to think straight right now lol. But damn, the puzzles in the final stretch are sooooo good.

I_see_what_you_did_there.gif

BowieZ

Banned
Cannot do Chain Chomp. It feels like no matter which way I attempt to pull out blocks to get a useful vantage point, I'm blocking myself from progressing. What am I missing here!?

EDIT: Solved it straight after posting as per usual. (I missed a simple option once I got to the first blue manhole.) Now up to the final page of NES... the biggest trouble I've had so far has probably been the two Princesses. But both times it turned out much easier than I thought; a satisfying revelation!

duckroll

Ooooooooooooooooh YEAH!!!!!!!!!! Unlocked the final world. Out of the 250 initial puzzles, Dragon was definitely the hardest one. Totally worthy of the 5 star difficulty rating. I looked and relooked at the puzzle over and over and it just seemed impossible. Then when I finally figured out the trick to the first part of the it, everything started clicking, but the obstacles at the top tripped me up a few times too. When I finally figured it all out it was so fucking satisfying.

Simbabbad

If anybody's starving for levels, I made more of them, those two are from the Amstrad CPC game Sorcery and are quite tough:

zlCfzTZ1FYszVtaYsY

zlCfzTaDzhsN5I1dF2

(link and link)

zroid

Banned
If anybody's starving for levels, I made more of them, those two are from the Amstrad CPC game Sorcery and are quite tough:

I need to bookmark all your posts so I can scan them later when I'm finished with the regular game

still have a ways to go though ^^

Simbabbad

You can always go to my blog, all my Pushmo/Pullblox and Stretchmo/Fullblox levels (and a few Mario vs. DK ones) are there on the same page (with Miiverse links). Hope you'll have fun :) !

Myself I'm at the bonus pack in the game, for now I find the NES pack was harder, but I'm only 50% in.

theaface

PERILOUS PEAK COMPLETE! :D

Such a fantastic game with an extremely balanced learning curve. You don't realise how many new techniques you're learning as you go, and how your thought process in approaching each puzzle adapts over time.

Great feeling to have solved every puzzle without walkthroughs. There were a few times where I felt pretty stumped, but going back to square one and really thinking things over again helped every time.

If you're struggling I really recommend sticking with it. It's a hugely rewarding feeling to complete the game and some of the later stages are so clever and a joy to play/solve.

Simbabbad

This thread seems to be near its death, but two more levels from me, this time from the Amiga:

First, Rick Dangerous from the creators of Tomb Raider, starring in a game that stands more or less on the same ground than Aban Hawkings & the 1000/1001 SPIKES. It's a bit tricky at the beginning, but not that hard (link):

zlCfzTaXqL4aVbi_Ld

And then, back to 3D levels with Lemmings! That one's not hard at all, but pretty fun IMO (link):

zlCfzTacqBU_ps9U0v

It's a real shame the game does not implement level sharing at all, internally. I still don't understand why Mario vs. DK, which user levels generally suck because the game genre asks talent to design puzzles, has basically all you can expect from level sharing, whereas the Pullblox/Pushmo series is drastically lacking in that area, even Pullblox World. Kind of kills interest (or would it, if I didn't make levels for my own fun). Fullblox is IMO the most fun to design levels for in the series, but oh, well.

theaface

This thread seems to be near its death.

I was thinking that. It's a real shame, because the game is excellent. Seems like the sudden release and the pay-for-what-you-want model hasn't worked well in terms of visibility and sales.

Great job on your created levels, by the way.

It's a real shame the game does not implement level sharing at all, internally...

This too. It's an awful development decision. An option to browse and play user created levels, with the ability to sort by popularity, difficulty, date published, keywords, etc. would extend the value proposition and lifespan of the game immeasurably. The QR code thing is just bizarre in this day and age.

Simbabbad

I'm not sure the sudden release and pack structure of the game are that decisive, I think the lukewarm feedback is more tied to the fact it's the 4rth game in the series. All the other games are cheaper and had sales, so people who haven't bought them yet would rather do that, I guess, and they offer tons of content for people who did buy them, most of whom probably didn't beat them 100% (because backlog), meaning they'd rather return to those game than buy more of the series.

Nintendo anticipated this, and that explains the pack structure IMO. They know asking 10$ right away is too much at this point for the series, so they tempt people with a smaller price, to get a taste of the new mechanics and have access to the editor, and advertise the older games. Honestly, I don't think this decision hurt them (the lack of hype, however, probably did, it maybe should have followed a Nintendo Direct).

The lack of decent level sharing in-game is a tragedy, though, as big as the lack of leaderboards in New Super Mario Bros. 2, and is very bizarre when you compare it to other games who have it (like Mario vs. DK, but then again that series is handled by an American studio, not Japanese). I do think this hurts the series a lot, including Pullblox World, which handles it, but terribly.

Thank you for my levels, I have real fun making them. You can access them all on this page.

Loptous

First, Rick Dangerous from the creators of Tomb Raider, starring in a game that stands more or less on the same ground than Aban Hawkings & the 1000/1001 SPIKES. It's a bit tricky at the beginning, but not that hard (link):

zlCfzTaXqL4aVbi_Ld
I'm counting 20 blocks in height here. How do you do that? I can't seem to find the option to go past 16 blocks even in 2D mode. DX

Simbabbad

2D puzzles are limited to 32x32, 3D puzzles are limited to 16x16x16. I'm not sure how I unlocked it, I think it's because I designed a certain number of levels, but I do remember a message congratulating me about it. I doubt it's related to a pack.

The framerate goes down FAST, even for a relatively small level. I tried a 32x18 sprite (didn't make an interesting puzzle, deleted it) and it was already bad on my new Nintendo 3DS.

Loptous

2D puzzles are limited to 32x32, 3D puzzles are limited to 16x16x16. I'm not sure how I unlocked it, I think it's because I designed a certain number of levels, but I do remember a message congratulating me about it. I doubt it's related to a pack.

The framerate goes down FAST, even for a relatively small level. I tied a 32x18 sprite (didn't make an interesting puzzle, deleted it) and it was already bad on my new Nintendo 3DS.
Thanks! I made some fake puzzles to unlock it.
I was getting worried that they had downgraded the editor. XD
Thankfully, I'll be able to work with bigger sprites now.

Anyways, i just made this :
Fullblox_Kirby.JPG

Simbabbad

Same, and boy was the last level I completed annoying...

zlCfzTa9qp8N4LWPH7

It's a good level, but the "get hit and restart everything" rule is frustrating in this stage. But anyway, I DID IT!

I'll probably have more fun in the editor, but since Nintendo handled level sharing horribly, I don't think I'll spend much time with other people's levels, it's hard to find good ones. At least Pullblox had a dedicated user base...

Oh, well, it was great. Now I'll try to 100% Tipping Stars and the marathon mode in Box Boy.

Simbabbad

Use enemies to make it solvable, the one that can climb is neat to use. It's better IMO than manholes or switches.

tariniel

This OT is the first time I've heard of this game and it looks really fun and charming. I'll probably grab this one when I get home tonight.

Loptous

It's better IMO than manholes or switches.
Kinda disagree as I don't think reflexes should be needed in a puzzle game, and even more so considering that it's hard to make precise movements in 3D space in this game.
Then again, if you don't have a choice...I guess you have no choice.

This OT is the first time I've heard of this game and it looks really fun and charming. I'll probably grab this one when I get home tonight.
I think you should start with Pushmo first if you haven't played it.

Simbabbad

Kinda disagree as I don't think reflexes should be needed in a puzzle game, and even more so considering that it's hard to make precise movements in 3D space in this game.
Then again, if you don't have a choice...I guess you have no choice.
Enemies don't necessarily mean you have to deal with reflexes, one enemy climbing blocks (or not) and being used as a ladder is a pretty interesting, manageable mechanic, that is generally more interesting puzzle-wise than teleports or switches, that make the playthrough a bit too telegraphed.

Loptous

Enemies don't necessarily mean you have to deal with reflexes, one enemy climbing blocks (or not) and being used as a ladder is a pretty interesting, manageable mechanic, that is generally more interesting puzzle-wise than teleports or switches, that make the playthrough a bit too telegraphed.
They still do. The basic enemies rush at you when in their line of sight and will kill all your progress if you don't jump with the right timing, which can be tricky with this game's controls. I know I got hit like this several times while playing Corin's levels, and it was simply frustrating. On top of that, I don't particularly find waiting for enemies to make their round and reach the needed spot particularly fun either.
Also, in this game's case, the ability to stretch blocks in all 4 directions already make them a lot less telegraphed than they were in Pushmo, (and even that game had some puzzles with different solutions.)

Simbabbad

Agree to disagree, when in reasonable amount, I find enemies very easy to manage and not a threat at all, and extremely handy to make interesting levels and "fix" specific areas without making puzzles too obvious. The guitar level is a very good example, that level was very smart.

In the game's levels overall, I agree they're often annoying, but that's by intention, especially in Corin's levels where they're the whole point. In some other levels, there are many good uses of them, which can be replicated in user levels.

Manholes and switches are still much more telegraphed than enemies, especially the ones than can be moved around.

JonnyKong

I really need to get back on this. I do this with puzzle games all the time, start playing them thinking yeah this is really great, get stuck on one puzzle, get frustrated, don't play it again for ages. I did the same with Boxboy. I'll probably do the same with Dr Mario next week.

zroid

Banned
goddamn I'm such a f'ing idiot

I spent like an hour on this puzzle because I was obsessed with trying to solve it one way, which was impossible, when the actual solution was staring right at me all along

Shiggy

I'm typically the last person to whine about the framerate in games and I'm perfectly fine with just 30 fps. But in this game the framerate dips really start to annoy me. I already turned the 3D function off but the slowdown is still well noticeable. How come a Nintendo game is optimised this poorly? Haven't seen that since The Last Story.

Pokemaniac

I'm typically the last person to whine about the framerate in games and I'm perfectly fine with just 30 fps. But in this game the framerate dips really start to annoy me. I already turned the 3D function off but the slowdown is still well noticeable. How come a Nintendo game is optimised this poorly? Haven't seen that since The Last Story.

The game was clearly built with New 3DS in mind. On New 3DS, the game is 60 fps most of the time, except on larger puzzles which drop to 30.

Shiggy

The game was clearly built with New 3DS in mind. On New 3DS, the game is 60 fps most of the time, except on larger puzzles which drop to 30.

Not sure if better optimisation would've still helped, seeing as the 3DS is pretty low-tech. If they really tried their best, I'm still happy they brought this game to the original 3DS. I seem to enjoy this kind of title more than what most other people want to see from Nintendo.

Shiggy

Some things in this game are odd. The four packs don't really seem as if they belong to the same package:

- In package 1, once you finish a level, the next level starts automatically. In the other packs, it doesn't
- Only package 3 records the time needed to finish a level.
- Each package explains how certain mechanics work, despite hearing the same in other packages already.

The game is really fun and all, but I found these things a bit odd. Also the first two packages are quite a bit too easy (especially the very first). Package 3 is great as it adds enemies. Have only done the first 10 puzzles of the final package but difficulty on that looks challenging!

For 10€ you receive 5 packages plus user created content. Despite the framerate issues, every Pullblox fan should be getting this.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Some things in this game are odd. The four packs don't really seem as if they belong to the same package:

- In package 1, once you finish a level, the next level starts automatically. In the other packs, it doesn't
- Only package 3 records the time needed to finish a level.
- Each package explains how certain mechanics work, despite hearing the same in other packages already.

The game is really fun and all, but I found these things a bit odd. Also the first two packages are quite a bit too easy (especially the very first). Package 3 is great as it adds enemies. Have only done the first 10 puzzles of the final package but difficulty on that looks challenging!

For 10€ you receive 5 packages plus user created content. Despite the framerate issues, every Pullblox fan should be getting this.

LOL I've noticed the same thing. It's real odd. It would've been fun if there was some kind of leaderboard or StreetPass leaderboard for the levels in which they recorded your time to complete it or something. But if not, why bother with that? Weird. And it's pretty annoying that the other packages don't take you straight to the next level. Instead the kick you back to the selection menu and highlight the puzzle that you JUST completed! Ungh, I'm pretty sure in the previous game they defaulted to selected the next puzzle when putting you back at the puzzle selection screen. It makes no sense to put the cursor on the one you just finished lol!

Shiggy

LOL I've noticed the same thing. It's real odd. It would've been fun if there was some kind of leaderboard or StreetPass leaderboard for the levels in which they recorded your time to complete it or something. But if not, why bother with that? Weird. And it's pretty annoying that the other packages don't take you straight to the next level. Instead the kick you back to the selection menu and highlight the puzzle that you JUST completed! Ungh, I'm pretty sure in the previous game they defaulted to selected the next puzzle when putting you back at the puzzle selection screen. It makes no sense to put the cursor on the one you just finished lol!

Overall, I think those are only small issues. I'm really surprised by how well this game works. I'm glad they didn't just go for a Pullblox level pack.

Been playing this for the last few weeks, am finally up to Perilous Peak. Only 5 stages in and these one are killing me, I don't know if I can go on >.<

Gotta say though great game, easily best in the "Mo" series, I love how much more engaging and interesting the puzzles are than before. Instead of just trying to work my way up I now feel like I'm trying to make my way around and over a giant puzzle to the end line.

This is the cutest game I've ever played, what the hell. I couldn't say no to the in app purchase because it was so cutely presented. Loving it so far as well, such a great game!

Finished all the puzzles about a week ago. The Dragon took me like 2 hours, and I have no clue how I did it.

The enemies were a good idea, but they were implemented wrong. They should have let you rewind after you get hit or just use them as puzzle pieces. The ones that shoots could have just pushed you away instead, for example.

Overall it wasn't as hard as Crashmo, were several of the latter puzzles took me 1 hour plus to figure out. I went back to beat Papa's Blox Bird (one of the bonus levels from Crashmo's website) and it was as tough as I remembered.

Lately I've designed a bunch of puzzles from the superb sprite work in Super Mario Maker, and I thought people here might enjoy them:

(All my Fullblox/Stretchmo and Pullblox/Pushmo puzzles are here.)

If the bump gives this spectacularly good game a second chance to be noticed by a few people, great.

I downloaded some of these (mostly the Nintendo related ones, plus Lemmings and Rockford Statue). Waluigi was my favorite, I got stumped like twice before I could work out the solution. Maybe my favorite puzzle of the whole game in fact. Lemmings was really fun too. But really all were well designed. I would play them all but I must move onto other games.

You have any Mario vs DK puzzles? It's really hard to find good ones online, and for some unexplainable reason you can only download the last 20 Nintendo levels (out of 100), even though in past games in the series you could store like 100+.

Top Bottom