• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strong (muscular) Female characters in video games

Dr.Morris79

That girl from The last of us 2.

LnZjmon.jpg

llien

What I am saying is that very muscular man were also/often considered ugly/stupid/rare/fetish before the 60's.

Hanfred Bogart was considerd a real man. Things have changed and may keep changing.

But yes, I like the SFV design.

Did we even have Schwarzenegger style muscular men back then?
Some movie stars males not being that muscular is obviously true (but also look at, e.g. Jean Marais), but muscular men being considered ugly... can you give an example?

GreyHorace

Bioware where famous SJW even before it was cool. They where after all one of the few who allowed protagonists to have homosexual romance between characters and depicted it seriously.

I'm well aware of Bioware's SJW leanings. But they weren't exactly overt with it until Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3. Back then they managed to handle it with subtlety, and not the 'hit you over the head' progressiveness that constitutes a lot of their efforts today.

But that's what makes Aveline such a pleasant surprise as a character. Despite her masculine traits and attitude, she embraces her femininity and doesn't reject it like some stereotype. I was honestly shocked that Bioware was able to write such a character with competence. Did I mention she's my favorite companion in Dragon Age 2?

She-Hulk on the other hand didn't begin like the character she is today. Her current image was pretty much an accident, as the character was created pretty much to avoid a potential licence loss AND NO OTHER REASON! Upon Marvel realizing they might have a feminist icon on their hand (they became rather sensitive after the rape of miss Marvel 5 years ago after all), and after a few writers who managed to be woke and smart at the same time, only then she reached her current status.

Even with the above, she's curiously allowed to keep her sexuality , unlike her male counterpart that becomes as dumb blob of muscle and rage. So rather than becoming an inhuman monster, she becomes a different fetish.
Lets not forget that despite all the above better traits, she's still not considered nearly as popular as her male counterpart. Hulk is now a staple of the Cinematic universe, while She-hulk was only considered as a Netflix adaptation at some point, and they didn't even go through with that.

Eh... I wouldn't call any of the writers who built She-Hulk 'woke'. Especially John Byrne, who drew scenes like this:

IMG_1089.JPG

Does that look like the type of scene SJWs would approve of? Perhaps comic writers back then knew how to make female characters sexy and interesting without having the resort to woke virtual signaling.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
This thread should be enough to show that a fictional woman can be muscular and strong without being de-feminized to the point that the only feminine trait left is the voice. Fighting games have been showing this since the early 90s, to be frank, and some of those characters are still loved today.

Yet, guess what kind of crowd would have an aneurysm seeing 3/4 of the pics posted here, close the thread and ban half the posters due to a colourful variety of reasons?

Kamina

Golden Boy
Muscular females are fine and often nice to look at.
What is weird is when a female character is looking more like a man, with muscles like a men that maybe even physically overpowers several men, soemtimes at the same time. Thats just “progressive” bullcrap.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Strong muscular women in video games is nothing new.
Exactly, it's something I was thinking too. There have been so many games with muscular girls, lots of games with lesbians too......Fear Effect, Life is strange, Mass Effect.....and pretty much any of your competitive shooters like Overwatch, Apex etc.....You will probably find some muscular girls or lesbians. So why so much outrage on Naughty Dog's game? It's not the first and won't be the last by any stretch.....It's just that LOU is probably the biggest game ever depicting such characters...….

thelastword

Banned
Oh I meant to post this......Mods could you edit it into my prior post......There is nothing new about muscular women in games....

gTBPWRj.jpg

Does that look like the type of scene SJWs would approve of? Perhaps comic writers back then knew how to make female characters sexy and interesting without having the resort to woke virtual signaling.
the assumption is that before woke culture there was no women, no characters that were not "white", etc. In any media, they were erased, or mis-represented. That is, until the inclusion and diversity experts came in and saved the day on twitter and other media, they generously offered (via blackmail) their expertise as highly paid consultants to any media creators, books, tv, cinema, comics, video games, now we are saved from harmful stereotypes, objectification, lack of representation, erasure, etc.

Obviously they do their work so well that often they will get upset at products that completely embrace their guidance :messenger_neutral: .

Jon Neu

Banned
What I am saying is that very muscular man were also/often considered ugly/stupid/rare/fetish before the 60's.

Yes, Apolo, Adonis, Hercules...

All considered unattractive and not the cuspid of masculinity at all for centuries and centuries.

Remember Marlon Brando:

young-marlon-brando-in-white-wifebeater-shirt-photo-u1

GreyHorace

Yea, I think that golden axe always had the right balance between muscular man and woman. At least back in the days. One has to look closely, but the girls always had very trained bodies.

rNdp43l.jpg

TQ7NdQR.jpg

p7XpXPI.jpg

And guess who's the most popular character in that series?

It ain't Axe Battler that's for sure.

golden-axe-beast-rider-ea6f8ba8-9653-4646-9a4e-36ff97923cd-resize-750.jpeg

the assumption is that before woke culture there was no women, no characters that were not "white", etc. In any media, they were erased, or mis-represented. That is, until the inclusion and diversity experts came in and saved the day on twitter and other media, they generously offered (via blackmail) their expertise as highly paid consultants to any media creators, books, tv, cinema, comics, video games, now we are saved from harmful stereotypes, objectification, lack of representation, erasure, etc.

Obviously they do their work so well that often they will get upset at products that completely embrace their guidance :messenger_neutral: .

Case in point.

71359_04_marvel-goes-full-woke-intros-new-characters-snowflake-and-safespace.jpg

We went from She Hulk to this? Fucking 'ell. Marvel deserves to burn to the ground if this is the best idea they can come up with.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Muscles don't mean jack, watch that TV show Man Vs Bear and you'll see
Even women that are built like bodybuilders lose to an average man or woman.

Ulysses 31

Muscles don't mean jack, watch that TV show Man Vs Bear and you'll see
Even women that are built like bodybuilders lose to an average man or woman.
The Tamikka Brents, former MMA champion, that lost to a transwomen said she never felt so overpowered in a fight in her entire life. >.>

Last edited:
Yes, Apolo, Adonis, Hercules...

All considered unattractive and not the cuspid of masculinity at all for centuries and centuries.

Remember Marlon Brando:

young-marlon-brando-in-white-wifebeater-shirt-photo-u1
Actually he is not built at all, just what a regular working man looks like (obviously he did not eat fast food).

GymWolf

Actually he is not built at all, just what a regular working man looks like (obviously he did not eat fast food).
Lol...dude i know a shitload of people who do physical work and you need a pretty good genetic to look like that just by working, i started doing warehouse work with heavy stuff at 11 years old breaking my ass for 9 hours a day and i was obese before starting body building.

Also not build at all? Wtf? Do you see his arms and shoulders and traps? Brando has a better body than half of the people in my gym in terms of aestethic and proportions...

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The Tamikka Brents, former MMA champion, that lost to a transwomen said she never felt so overpowered in a fight in her entire life. >.>
You know when I was younger I knew a girl that was built like a tank.
She was like a rugby player and was the same size as me and was 3 years younger too, And I'm not exactly small. but she would mouth off at everybody.
I guess her logic was she was big and could take on the boys.... Until she hit the wrong one that did retaliate back.
She got beaten like a dude and it wasn't even a fair fight.
Dude was younger and smaller and ragged her round like bear would a man

Top Bottom