• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Echoes

Wait, does this thing even have a connection for ground?

edit: that's a headphone amp, you're doing it entirely wrong.

Why? 640P has a ground connection. I asked plenty of times in this thread that I'll be using Pr-Ject Debut III + 640P with HDP and no one said anything.

Prez

Why? 640P has a ground connection. I asked plenty of times in this thread that I'll be using Pr-Ject Debut III + 640P with HDP and no one said anything.

Oh sorry, I didn't know what 640P was. I thought you connected the record player directly to the headphone amp.

Echoes

Excuse me for not outlining that for you! Cambridge Audio 640P is a phono pre-amp recommended by gaffers in this thread.

I think I don't know how to connect the ground connection, as it produces a buzzing sound when I connect it to the corresponding plug (and no buzz when it's not connected).

I love the sound, and I compared my MP3s with this (switching the connection on my HDP) and there's an easily distinguishable difference and very apparent; you don't need to be an audiophile to pick that up and I'm happy about that. I'm just overwhelmed by everything.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Incorrectly setting up the tonearm (the float thing) won't really cause the problem you're describing. Are you playing a new record or an old record?

Echoes

Incorrectly setting up the tonearm (the float thing) won't really cause the problem you're describing. Are you playing a new record or an old record?

All new; Madonna's Hard Candy, Darren Hayes' latest, and BioShock OST. Sometimes I hear a spinning sound (at the start of each record) which can be distracting.

Echoes

>_> Yes, I'm doing that... <_< And yeah, it's this sound, but when I raise the volume there's some noise (even before turning the TT on).

And what about stopping, should I remove the needle first?

I need to Google for 100 tips on vinyl playing or something.

I'm wondering what's the quickest way to clean a vinyl? I'll invest into something good, but if I hear one part repeating how do I fix this?

nitewulf

All new; Madonna's Hard Candy, Darren Hayes' latest, and BioShock OST. Sometimes I hear a spinning sound (at the start of each record) which can be distracting.
a slight static when you drop the needle at the start of the record, and after the side ends is fine. it is after all a physical contact, but there shouldn't be any static/surface noise on completely new vinyl as the music is playing, unless the pressing is bad.

i am not familiar with the ProJect table, but did you use a stylus force gauge to set a recommended tracking force?

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
>_> Yes, I'm doing that... <_< And yeah, it's this sound, but when I raise the volume there's some noise (even before turning the TT on).

And what about stopping, should I remove the needle first?

I need to Google for 100 tips on vinyl playing or something.

I'm wondering what's the quickest way to clean a vinyl? I'll invest into something good, but if I hear one part repeating how do I fix this?

Yes, you're doing which one? Turn it on, then drop the needle. Remove needle, then stop the player. For cleaning use an anti-static brush:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/37213/AcousTech-Anti-Static_Record_Brush-Record_Cleaner

If you "hear one part repeating," you probably mean it's skipping. Scratches can cause this, but if these are new records, then that probably IS caused by improperly setting up the tone arm.

Prez

I put acoustic foam on the walls next to and behind my speakers and I've noticed that surface noise has become more quiet. Is that possible or am I just imagining it?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
ixNDACfPG89UN.jpg

I wanted to pick up Portugal. The Man's "Church Mouth" on vinyl. I pick this one out because it's 5 bucks cheaper than another edition. Turns out it was an original pressing and 1 out of 250 print. It's worth $75 online :), best 13 bucks ever spent.

51dplmiTSUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bought this album by Blind Pilot last night...its "180 Gram" or something like that but it felt heavier.
I'm really glad I bought it on vinyl, the whole album has the particular warm sound I associate with record players.

Hey so, I've been running a shitty Ion USB turntable connected to computer speakers rigged with an RCAtoAUX cord, and finally decided to upgrade.

I went for this Onkyo TX-8255 receiver - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AMSPQI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and these Sony SS-B1000 bookshelf speakers - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OG88KY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

buuut, I can't find a decent cheapo vintage turntable for like <$80. Anywhere. I hit up 4 pawn shops, a goodwill and a record shop and craigslist today and nobody had anything. Is there a certain model I should be looking for on ebay or something because I really don't feel like hunting around anymore.

nitewulf

just grabbed these:

f2a799f0c7e3fbaea5ac66313666f50f.jpg

resize

Buzzin Fly': We are Silver EP Ben Watt/Justin Martin
025pack-L.jpg

Francis Harris: Leland *recommended, if you're into deep house/nu jazz...you will like it
tumblr_lz5i42JS5l1qa7dyho1_1280.jpg

There's a gorgeous record store in Brooklyn called Halcyon, I recently discovered it...Francis Harris is one of the owners actually, super cool people. I highly recommend the store to NYCers, a HUGE amount of minimal techno, deep house, disco, reggae, along with the indie rock, indie pop stuff.

FLEABttn

Banned
Hey dudes,

I want to get into this vinyl thing (been wanting to for a while, really) and I need some help. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, so I am probably going to go with this turntable: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GYTPAE/?tag=neogaf0e-20. It's cheap and seems to be good for beginners. But my question is: what all do I need to buy to go with it? What are some good, relatively cheap speakers? I own computer speakers that I guess I could use but they're not the best quality. I know next to nothing about this kind of thing so any help is appreciated.

I've had that player. It sucks. The people giving it 4 and 5 star reviews have done so after using it on only a few records probably through a $100 HTIAB. All you're going to do is dump the thing so save the money.

Nonadjustable tracking force. It will skip on some records and there's nothing you can do about it. Total waste of money of a player. Mine lasted 4 weeks before I replaced it with a Pro-ject Debut III.

For speakers, I'm using Polk Audio Monitor 60's and a PSW110 subwoofer. For my budget, I doubt I could have done much better.

Whooooh! I'm getting a double red vinyl edition of a new High on Fire album soon. It's gonna be super sweet, with awesome album cover and everything! I don't own too many LPs and the ones I'd really listen to if my record player wasn't broken are two David Bowie albums (Low and Ziggy Stardust).

Wolfe

I recently picked up a few albums including Turn on the Bright Lights by Interpol and I'm really enjoying the vinyl version more than the digital copy I own, although I'm sure it's mainly just due to me having decent equipment to play the record on vs listening to the MP3's through my headphones :p

My roomie picked this up:
wh6O4.jpg

Really recommend it to anyone that is into synthy 80's sounding stuff, it's a double album and there's only 2 or 3 I'm not a fan of, good stuff overall.

Sobriquet

I recently got the Neutral Milk Hotel box set for my wife. As a present. For her. ;)

C4NFl.jpg

She arranged it for photographs. :p

The whole package is so rad.

Dumb question, but how do you guys know if you have to play a record with 33 or 45 rpm?

Some of those 12 inch-singles I own give me a headache. Especially if they are remixes. :eek:

Sobriquet

Dumb question, but how do you guys know if you have to play a record with 33 or 45 rpm?

Some of those 12 inch-singles I own give me a headache. Especially if they are remixes. :eek:

You just listen to it. It should be immediately apparent if it's on the wrong speed.

As far as 12" singles are concerned, if there's only one track on a side, it's pretty much guaranteed to be 45rpm. If there are several tracks, it'll probably be 33 1/3.

Sliver

Looking for a bit of help here. I want to get into listening to records, and need to first buy equipment.

I saw this on Craigslist for $75, with the speakers. I know the speakers are probably shit quality but the guy says it still has factory tape on the projector and the record player itself was never used. Go for it?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
For a starting set, that's really good. I'd buy it personally and upgrade/sell parts that I don't need.

Is there a model # for that panasonic turntable? It's also a good idea to see how easily you'd be able to replace parts and stuff in case it's damaged and a decent upgrade in speakers (if they need it, again model numbers help) won't set you back too much.

STG!

I've only had one record that ever made me second guess what the correct speed was. Was a WL with absolutely no info at all, and it sounded decent at both speeds. But I'm pretty confident that it is 45.

But 12" singles come in both flavors of either 33 or 45, and can have the wrong speed indicated on the label if it has one. So trust your ear as to what sounds right.

One good trick: once you figure out the correct RPM, write down the speed on a small (cut) piece of sticky note and keep it with your record, make it either small enough to fit on the label or on the outside of the sleeve. If I have a blank sleeve that I don't care about, I usually write it on the sleeve itself.

Just got a small question, I'm FINALLY buying my turntable at the end of this month, I'm going for the Rega RP1. I have the Yamaha AS-300 amp, do I need any sort of phono amp to make this work? I know getting one would probably improve the sound, but do I actually need one to be able to listen to stuff? Hopefully a couple of months down the line I will pick one up, are there any good recommendations? I'll post some pictures of a few of my favourite vinyls when I'm finally all set up :D

Just got a small question, I'm FINALLY buying my turntable at the end of this month, I'm going for the Rega RP1. I have the Yamaha AS-300 amp, do I need any sort of phono amp to make this work? I know getting one would probably improve the sound, but do I actually need one to be able to listen to stuff? Hopefully a couple of months down the line I will pick one up, are there any good recommendations? I'll post some pictures of a few of my favourite vinyls when I'm finally all set up :D

As long as your integrated amp has a phono input then you should be able to hook up the Rega 1 to that and enjoy your records :)

as far as recommendations on phono stages, there have been quite a few good ones in here. Cambridge Audio 640p, Bellari VP130, NAD PP2, Pro-Ject Phono box can be had at under $200 each.

nitewulf

The Yamaha seems to have a MM phono input, so you could hookup the Rega to the Yamaha without an external phono stage.

However, if you are already budgeting for an amplifier and an external phono stage, you may want to try to swing this instead, this is a higher class product, see if you can find it used, demo condition or open box:

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,fmj,integrated-amplifiers,A18.htm

or this one (but you will definitely need a phono stage for this, as it doesn't have an internal phono stage)

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C-316BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier

Ravager61

I've only had one record that ever made me second guess what the correct speed was. Was a WL with absolutely no info at all, and it sounded decent at both speeds. But I'm pretty confident that it is 45.

But 12" singles come in both flavors of either 33 or 45, and can have the wrong speed indicated on the label if it has one. So trust your ear as to what sounds right.

One good trick: once you figure out the correct RPM, write down the speed on a small (cut) piece of sticky note and keep it with your record, make it either small enough to fit on the label or on the outside of the sleeve. If I have a blank sleeve that I don't care about, I usually write it on the sleeve itself.

One of my Godspeed You Black Emperor vinyls is 33 on one side and 45 on the other. It's kind of annoying.

l1geh

Banned

Living in Amsterdam since feb 6th, here´s my haul:

For a fistful of dollars Soundtrack (found for 2€ - steal)
Bon Iver - Bon Iver
Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
The XX - XX
Jaymay - Sea Green, Sea Blue (Song from the ending of HIMYM Season 2)

STG!

One of my Godspeed You Black Emperor vinyls is 33 on one side and 45 on the other. It's kind of annoying.

All to save some money, the record labels would just re-use vinyl label art but forget to change such little details like the rpm... Seen it too many times.

Subprime

Don't even care about the sound quality being better. For me records add a level of attention to it. I need to pay attention to change the sides, I can't skip songs, etc. There is something different than mp3 more beyond just the sound.

btf1980

So um, am I the only jazz fan here? Seems like I'm the only one buying Music Matters and Analogue Productions titles.

A few titles

Prez

So um, am I the only jazz fan here? Seems like I'm the only one buying Music Matters and Analogue Productions titles.

No, you're the only rich dude here, being able to afford a dozen $50 records at a time.

edit: after looking those records up, I see that a lot of them are $75-100. Were you seriously wondering why you're the only one here buying these?

Prez

I bought a used copy of The Köln concert, if that counts..

I've got some Cannonball Adderley live LPs, Herbie Hancock & Chick Corea in concert, Oscar Peterson, Count Basie, Erroll Garner, Duke Ellington at Carnegie Hall 1943, Rusty Bryant but that's it. It's hard to find affordable jazz on vinyl, even at flea markets. I have most jazz on CD (about 150 titles) since that's the best I can get.

I really wish I could afford to replace the crappy RVG remasters I've got with something decent...

btf1980

No, you're the only rich dude here, being able to afford a dozen $50 records at a time.

edit: after looking those records up, I see that a lot of them are $75-100. Were you seriously wondering why you're the only one here buying these?

Yes, I really was. I didn't take into consideration that I'm posting on GAF. Many of my friends are audiophiles like me, and are serious jazz lovers, so I'll admit that my reality is a little skewed from most other people.

At the prices you quoted, I'm actually spending a lot less now. A few years ago before the 45rpm craze, I was mostly into original pressings. Those will run you a lot more $$$. As crazy as it sounds, things are a lot cheaper now. It could be a lot more expensive i.e. http://jazzcollector.com/price-guides/all-records-by-price/

Prez

Yes, I really was. I didn't take into consideration that I'm posting on GAF. Many of my friends are audiophiles like me, and are serious jazz lovers, so I'll admit that my reality is a little skewed from most other people.

At the prices you quoted, I'm actually spending a lot less now. A few years ago before the 45rpm craze, I was mostly into original pressings. Those will run you a lot more $$$. As crazy as it sounds, things are a lot cheaper now. It could be a lot more expensive i.e. http://jazzcollector.com/price-guides/all-records-by-price/

Yeah sorry, every time I'm reminded of those crappy RVG remasters in any way, I get mad. It's unforgivable, so many classic records I can't fully enjoy because of the man's hearing loss and not a single person at Blue Note taking the effort of listening to these remasters.

Btw I've tested the RVGs with a sound level meter and I've learned that even at a decent listening level they can damage your hearing, since the frequencies that are most prone to noise damage are boosted to an extremely high level.

Anyway if I'd ever win a dozen grand, rest assured the first thing I'd buy is as many audiophile jazz records as possible ;)

I am 100% sure that I have missed like 1000's of flipping opportunities with Jazz-records because they aren't really in my interest zone. But I regularly see jazz records for cheap which I guess could be worth some money but I don't have the nerve to pick them up or don't want to check them up on popsike etc.

btf1980

I am 100% sure that I have missed like 1000's of flipping opportunities with Jazz-records because they aren't really in my interest zone. But I regularly see jazz records for cheap which I guess could be worth some money but I don't have the nerve to pick them up or don't want to check them up on popsike etc.

Unlikely. Those cheap records you see are cheap reissues that aren't worth anything. Not to mention, the bad remastering, cheap covers etc that they have. All this stuff matters, it's a little complicated. You need to be able to discern what is what.

Prez

Here's a tip: every record from the Blue Note label is worth a lot of cash in good condition, unless it's a Blue Note reissue from this century (those are just digital transfers). There are also remasterings from this century by Music Matters and Analogue Productions, those are worth a lot as well. I'm not sure, but you should find all that information on the label.

edit: guess I'm wrong. I thought most Blue Note records didn't have any vinyl reissues in the 20th century?

I guess I should start checking out the Blue Note reissues since those are cheap and even though they're digital transfers, the Ron McMasters are still way better than the RVGs.

There are a few albums I consider buying the AP issue of though (Moanin', Somethin' Else and Soul Station).

Top Bottom