• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio Behind Phantom Dust Reboot Shuts Down, MS still working on it

This and crackdown announcement trailers were pure fan service. Makes me wonder how far (if even at all) either were in development when they showed thise trailers.

Alchemy

Somehow I doubt a reboot of an extremely niche title from 11 years ago really brought back any fans.

There were definitely people excited for it and treated it as very positive news. It was an act that Microsoft was focusing on games again, developing their own exclusives, and was a decent portion of the positivity they received for their E3 conference.

It sounds to me like they are moving the development to an internal first party studio.
I wonder which one...
Team Dakota?

I don't think they are big enough to do PS and this at the same time. They incubating a new idea but I doubt they have staffed up sufficiently to do it. I suspect they have another studio in mind for it.

"The executives who saw it were impressed and as late as this morning gave our team every indication that the project was on solid ground," said one of those people, who requested anonymity while speaking with Kotaku because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the situation. "Yet we got the phone call today that someone up on high who in all likelihood wasn't even aware of the game in detail shut it down."

damn that's so sad

If the studio worked on Sunset Overdrive, development for Phantom Dust probably hadn't even started when they revealed the game. Just concepts.

I wonder why they revealed it so early. Its not the only game either, there were quite some 2016 or maybe even 2017 games revealed in 2014.

Maybe the reason we've never heard of a studio working on it, is because there's been more than one version for a while? (Think Sega's Blackbelt vs Katana shenanigans). Darkside Games may simply have been losing a race they didn't even know they were competing in.

That's sort of where my line of thinking was... From the sounds of it the guys at Microsoft In charge of the reboot (Ken lobb, Adam isgreen) had a very specific idea of what they wanted for this game so maybe they farmed it out to a bunch of Studios and awarded the final contract to the best bidder. This sort of thing actually happens from time to time in the industry I'm in.

Or that could just be hopeless optimism.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The first bullet point in Darkside studio's "About" section:

Breaking the layoff cycle
People get laid off all the time in the game industry. Often this is because there is downtime during or between projects, and developers don't want to pay for people to sit around. Darkside is a client of SID and is treated just like other clients. Darkside games go through the same pipeline, which is constantly flowing with great games. We don't have to worry about significant down time.

Ouch.

someone had taxes to pay and funding that place was on the list of un-necessary! I bet MS and Darkside are mutually sad about this.

Well prepare for a new trailer about phantom dust with the tag line, more information in the coming future.

it's okay though, i probably wasn't going to pick it up anyway.

I wonder why they revealed it so early. Its not the only game either, there were quite some 2016 or maybe even 2017 games revealed in 2014.

I think all of their games revealed in 2014 will be out before 2017, personally. Crackdown might be later in 2016 but I think Scalebound will be an early 2016 game.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That Microsoft doesn't have the luxury to close production on exclusive games. Its a stale year for Microsoft regarding 1st party games. (Halo 5 won't be out this year, I mean really). Then there's QB which we haven't seen much of.
Except that they didn't close production on it, this dev just isn't working on the game anymore. Halo 5 will most definitely be out this year. And QB will most definitely be shown during e3.

Hexa

If the studio worked on Sunset Overdrive, development for Phantom Dust probably hadn't even started when they revealed the game. Just concepts.

It was pretty obvious that a lot of games that they were showing wouldn't be out for quite a while, but they were in a tough spot in terms of good will and peoples expectations of them for the future, so you can't really blame them. It certainly helped out a good deal I think.

Liamc723

someone had taxes to pay and funding that place was on the list of un-necessary! I bet MS and Darkside are mutually sad about this.

Well prepare for a new trailer about phantom dust with the tag line, more information in the coming future.

it's okay though, i probably wasn't going to pick it up anyway.

Yeah, it's okay that people lost their jobs because you weren't going to buy it anyway.

Ah man, terrible news.

This was one of my most anticipated XB1 titles. Hopefully, development continues normally and it does come out, soon enough.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I doubt this game is happening. Might have been intended as vapourware all along just to gain "hardcore cred" at E3 and then hope everyone forgets about it.

Kinda like what Sony's doing with TLG.

Freeman

Banned

You can't show up empty handed on conferences, they showed what they had.

I'm surprised about how restrained Sony is being this gen compared to last gen when it comes to showing games in early stages. I don't mind knowing in advance, even if it lead to frustration.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
That Microsoft doesn't have the luxury to close production on exclusive games. Its a stale year for Microsoft regarding 1st party games. (Halo 5 won't be out this year, I mean really). Then there's QB which we haven't seen much of.
Are you high

The concern is real...

Didn't this happen to KI, franchise seems to be doing just fine. I hope ppl don't go all "What is going on at ND?"

Synth

That sounds like a colossal waste of resources.

Hey, I never said it was a good idea! (it was especially stupid in Sega's case, considering the limited resources they had).

Maybe the second prototype was started later (shortly before the CG reveal) because they weren't sure of the direction the project was taking under Darkside Games, and they've now just cancelled the original, now that they're confident that they have a better replacement...

I dunno, I just find the fact that we never had the studio confirmed, and now they've been cancelled on, yet the game itself apparently not scrapped to be kinda strange. It's a pretty unique sequence of events.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I didn't like the direction the game was going at all(they westernized it the fuck up based on the CG trailer and basically made sure it had nothing to do with the original Japanese game), but fuck..i really hate people loosing their livelihoods like this. Hopefully those affected can land with grace

I don't know why people think this is some kind of joke. If this game doesn't release many people wont get one of the most creative and overlooked games ever. The original is outstanding. I'm sad for the studio that closed too.

I doubt this game is happening. Might have been intended as vapourware all along just to gain "hardcore cred" at E3 and then hope everyone forgets about it.

Kinda like what Sony's doing with TLG.

I can't see Microsoft announcing a game at E3 which a big ol' expensive CGI trailer just to get "hardcore cred" with no intention of making something.

Development issues happen, I'm not saying it will come out (although I think it will) but given how MS do their outsourcing I suspect they just gave it to someone else for whatever reason.

The concern is real...

Didn't this happen to KI, franchise seems to be doing just fine. I hope ppl don't go all "What is going on at ND?"

Double Helix got bought, a bit different.

Leflus

The concern is real...

The KI stuff happened because Double Helix got aquired by Amazon. The Phandom Dust news is a bit different. MS could have handled this a lot better.

Also: There was a lot "What is going on at ND" comments early last year when some of their devs left the studio.

The dangers of CG trailers. First that black tusk game, now this. Makes you wonder how Crackdown and Scalebound are doing.

The lack of a developer name I guess could've have been treated as a flag for a while now.
BTS is iffy, they got swapped cause of acquiring a notable IP.
Scalebound we know the developers well.
Crackdown, Kampf hasn't alluded to any sort of difficulties despite the developer remaining unknown still. At least I think its unknown.

Grief.exe

Phantom Dust strikes me as a game that would never be a system seller. It could be very successful targeting a niche audience on a controlled budget, releasing on all platforms, but won't make a dent in hardware sales.

I can see why an exec would cancel the project from a practical standpoint, despite hating it from a consumer perspective.

KingJ2002

This and crackdown announcement trailers were pure fan service. Makes me wonder how far (if even at all) either were in development when they showed thise trailers.

This... if the game was no further than concepts in a trailer then there was a good chance that the game was very far off (like late 2016 - early 2017 retail release) or worse planned to be rushed out the door to fit a release schedule.

overall... sucks to hear a studio shut down and people needing to find new gigs... here's hoping they all land on their feet.

The KI stuff happened because Double Helix got aquired by Amazon. The Phandom Dust news is a bit different. MS could have handled this a lot better.

Also: There was a lot "What is going on at ND" comments early last year when some of their devs left the studio.
We have no idea what was going on in that studio. It could have been going terribly and they decided to switch directions and developers.

Phantom Dust strikes me as a game that would never be a system seller. It could be very successful targeting a niche audience on a controlled budget, releasing on all platforms, but won't make a dent in hardware sales.

I can see why an exec would cancel the project from a practical standpoint, despite hating it from a consumer perspective.

Except it's not canceled...

"We can confirm that development of the title continues. We look forward to sharing more details on the game as we get closer to release."

the thing that really trips me out is that in all the interviews with Adam Isgreen/ken lobb they made it sound like the studio was utlra special that was chosen...

(I found it on twitter) I even posted this awhile back

6f2d5ae01dd5fd20b08ca01235fd09e3.png

so confusing.

GrizzNKev

Banned
What the fuck.

That studio was the only major game dev anywhere near my hometown. They're located in South Florida. Fucking Microsoft.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I can't see Microsoft announcing a game at E3 which a big ol' expensive CGI trailer just to get "hardcore cred" with no intention of making something.

Development issues happen, I'm not saying it will come out (although I think it will) but given how MS do their outsourcing I suspect they just gave it to someone else for whatever reason.

Makes sense, but its the (rumoured) way this happened that makes me think its not happening at all.

Top Bottom