• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio Behind Phantom Dust Reboot Shuts Down, MS still working on it

Except the feedback was that the game's progress was good and the closure came down to one person at a higher level. I've been through that process and it sucks as a developer.

That is the msot confusing part in interviews they were talking about how amazing the team was behind it, almost foaming from the mouth how much the team played phantom dust on and on...so finding a replacement studio is going to be weird..I really wonder what happened.

Damn that sucks. According to their website they've been in business for 13 years and had their hands in a lot of big games. Good luck to everyone there.

JaggedSac

Except the feedback was that the game's progress was good and the closure came down to one person at a higher level. I've been through that process and it sucks as a developer.

To be fair, that is one person, and that person could have had the wool pulled over their eyes by their own management.

I hope PD does come out since that and Scalebound are the main reason I want to buy a xbone later down the road. (hopefully MS' vision for the game doesn't turn it into another Crimson Dragon)

Occam

"The executives who saw it were impressed and as late as this morning gave our team every indication that the project was on solid ground," said one of those people, who requested anonymity while speaking with Kotaku because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the situation. "Yet we got the phone call today that someone up on high who in all likelihood wasn't even aware of the game in detail shut it down."

How can anyone be a fan of this company? Terrible.

duckroll

This reminds me of the rumors that MS was the party behind the cancelled next-gen (at the time) RPG Obsidian was working on at one point. It really fucked the studio up. On the bright side, I guess it forced them to move towards Pillars of Eternity. So it's win-win now.

If MS is so wishy-washy on external partners, I hope nothing bad happens to Scalebound. :(

Leflus

This is the first time we hear about the studio behind the reboot, isn't it? :(
So far a lot of the news about the new Microsoft Studios and their partners were rather bad. Many shut down already again and some games cancelled (still salty about Black Tusk project). At least Playground is a shining beacon.
Err. Which studios are you talking about? "Many" is a strong word...

prwxv3

This reminds me of the rumors that MS was the party behind the cancelled next-gen (at the time) RPG Obsidian was working on at one point. It really fucked the studio up. On the bright side, I guess it forced them to move towards Pillars of Eternity. So it's win-win now.

If MS is so wishy-washy on external partners, I hope nothing bad happens to Scalebound. :(

Platinum would be fucked. They better not screw with scalebound.

jelly

Strange, wonder if a better studio became available or Darkside Games weren't able to match Microsoft's expectations without more investment. Leaving them high and dry is weird.

Sucks for the devs, hope they get compensated or paid to a certain point quite well and good luck moving on.

Chindogg

When should we start begging Nintendo to save Scalebound? :(

Arkanius

It's like finishing a meeting where you got promoted and then get fired in your way back to the desk.

What the fuck, they were so impressed that they canceled the project?
Microsoft, stahp

Derpyduck

Banned

I wasn't worried about Scalebound. But now I am. Thanks to you. How do you sleep at night?

jelly

Hope not.

I guess MS can be that wishy-washy without consequence as dev studios will take work were they can get it.

Chindogg

come on now...

It's mostly a joke, but if MS is so flaky with partners I'd want the game to released by any means necessary. It appears that another company has no problem with resurrecting hurting Japanese titles so it's not that far fetched of a suggestion, even if it was in jest.

Synth

It's mostly a joke, but if MS is so flaky with partners I'd want the game to released by any means necessary. It appears that another company has no problem with resurrecting hurting Japanese titles so it's not that far fetched of a suggestion, even if it was in jest.

It's pretty far fetched considering the IP belongs to MS, who unlike Sega probably wouldn't be very easily persuaded to license it out to Nintendo for a Wii U game.

Lucreto

I am worried for Scalebound now. Didn't the games director say Microsoft is keep a close watch on this game.

Leflus

They would have to work together with Microsoft though. :p

MS owns the IP.

abadguy

Banned
I am worried for Scalebound now. Didn't the games director say Microsoft is keep a close watch on this game.

Depends on what you mean by "close watch". We know they are involved in the story world building to some degree and they are helping Platinum with UE4.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
To be fair, that is one person, and that person could have had the wool pulled over their eyes by their own management.
Developers have a pretty good idea if they're working on a good game or a piece of crap, despite what you might think.

JaggedSac

Developers have a pretty good idea if they're working on a good game or a piece of crap, despite what you might think.

Certainly, one man's treasure is another man's trash though. Either way, it sucks for those involved and does not bode well for the game.

Miles X

Hiccup? You call pulling the game and effectively killing that development studio a "hiccup|?

Yeah, I do given we don't know the circumstances. KI changed studios as well, did it no harm.

People trying to overhype this and over dramatise things.

.la1n

I was looking forward to the game, especially since they said they were particular about finding a team passionate about the originals to work on it. Unfortunate news and I hope the team is able to land on their feet.

duckroll

Yeah, I do given we don't know the circumstances. KI changed studios as well, did it no harm.

People trying to overhype this and over dramatise things.

KI changed studios because the studio which developed it was bought by Amazon, so they had to hand the project off. It was not a cancellation of a contract which resulted in a studio closing and everyone losing their jobs.

Top Bottom