• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study Finds The Defenders Least Watched from Netflix/Marvel in U.S.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Stranger Things 2 should have a pretty huge debut now that everyone and their mother has watched the first season.

Zubz

Banned
I was still catching up on GLOW when Bojack came out, so that slowed me down. None of the Marvel shows are Bojack-tier.

Granted, Iron Fist was a hype killer. That's also a problem.

mreddie

Things didn't slow burn, though. That shit blew up almost immediately, and stayed blowing up.

Yeah, that's the thing I'm wondering, I heard about Things a week after the premiere. DDS2 I have to believe was for Punisher and S2 was getting hyped soon after the first season came out. Netflix doesn't share these stats for a reason so I'm kinda wondering how they get these stats without having a mole.

I still haven't watched it yet, guess there's no big hook for me. The characters aren't compelling enough for me to give a shit about them teaming up(mostly Danny and Luke, even I like the latter well enough) and the villain(s) doesn't draw me in at all.

People who are surprised about Stranger Things on that chart you gotta realize that's the first 30 days the show took off BIG time after that.

Think about the first Austin Powers made only $50 million it's entire theatrical run but became pretty huge when released on video to the point of the Spy Who Shagged me coming out and making over $200 million domestic. Initial number aren't always indicative of success.

I forgot about this show too, even when I remember, by time I get home I forget again.

It sounds like it was eh as well, and the marketing push was no where near as big.

Those stats seem wrong. I can see Thirteen Reasons Why being so huge because of the teen crowd, but Stranger Things being that low seems counter to how much that seemed to explode in the pop culture landscape almost immediately.

Not

Banned
This is like the anti-Avengers.

Crazy how we now have a control of how batshit crazy the MCU's initial success is. They just had to have ONE terrible superhero to kill the hype.

antonz

Iron Fist poisoned the well for The Defenders for a lot of people I know. The excitement was no where to be seen. I anticipate they will see a turn around with Punisher as most people view the Punisher as the highlight of Daredevil Season 2.

Stranger Things was an immediate outta nowhere smash, Netflix likes those
I wouldn't use these stats, but I wonder how GLOW and Ozark did

Penguin

Saw this earlier tonight and been trying to figure out why on Twitter with folks.

One suggestion is that perhaps folks think they need to watch all 5 previous seasons and haven't gotten around to that (IT is a big ask of time)

Another is that folks just weren't thrilled by The Hand/elements of other shows. So while you may like Jessica Jones, only want more JJ.

But this is all intriguing.

LotusHD

Banned
Never forget:

giphy.webp

Deserved.

Iron Fungus was well and truly awful and killled a lot of the momentum.

Defenders disappointed with weak villains and slow plot.

Not

Banned
Again, Stranger Things blew up immediately. It was not a slow burn. It became a TV phenomenon really fast.

Internet hype ≠ total views. Without Netflix data we have no way to prove this.

A ton of people can watch something but be less excited about it overall than an energized minority.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
These shows are bad, the novelty of Dardevil/Arrow is gone.
I hope Netflix listens and starts putting something better.

People who are surprised about Stranger Things on that chart you gotta realize that's the first 30 days the show took off BIG time after that.

Think about the first Austin Powers made only $50 million it's entire theatrical run but became pretty huge when released on video to the point of the Spy Who Shagged me coming out and making over $200 million domestic. Initial number aren't always indicative of success.

That's not true though. A lot of the hype and coverage around Stranger Things occurred when it debuted and shortly after.

Which is not to say all the viewing was upfront, but it absolutely "blew up" way before its first 30 days were over.

Anung

Un Rama

Crazy how we now have a control of how batshit crazy the MCU's initial success is. They just had to have ONE terrible superhero to kill the hype.

Show length probably didn't help. You have to watch 5 seasons of 13 episodes to get caught up. 2 shows are good and the rest range from mediocre to terribad. It's a hell of an investment compared to a marvel movie every now and then.

I like most of these shows but 13 episodes is brutal.

The pacing of these Marvel shows blows and when one reviewer, probably Sepinwall, mentioned you don't even see the Defenders as a team until a few episodes in of what, eight? Ten? Thirteen? I wasn't going to bother.

Kelsdesu

I was still catching up on GLOW when Bojack came out, so that slowed me down. None of the Marvel shows are Bojack-tier.

Granted, Iron Fist was a hype killer. That's also a problem.

Is Bojack Horseman that good? I feel like its a show like Bob's Burgers that everybody enjoys, but I just don't get.

Internet hype ≠ total views. Without Netflix data we have no way to prove this.

I'm not just talking about "internet hype."

And yes, without Netflix data we have no way to definitively prove this but you can also look at a variety of media attention/reportage as well as internet/social media impressions trends.

That show was being discussed/championed/featured across as many different media outlets as I can think of. It was a bonafide hit and was a big part of, if not outright driving most conversations about pop culture within the week of its premiere.

The idea that it's first 30 days it was actually less popular than fuckin IRON FIST doesn't hold any weight. I know that there's this idea that there's still a significant division between "The internet" and "the real world" but when the platform these shows are debuting on is the internet I don't think that division (which is way overstated as it is) is really present.

Ultima_5

The shows suck cuz of poor pacing. They shouldn’t be locked into so many episodes. I can’t stomach 13 long episodes that have 5 hrs of story to feel prepped for defenders.

I didn't finish it yet but I was way less excited to watch this than I was for all the other Netflix MCU shows. Even Iron Fist, as much as I resented it.

I don't know if it's because I'm not into the superhero shit like I used to be, or that I've just developed such high standards for tv and movies that the Defenders just seems so flawed and a disappointment (so far).

They're just estimates. Any time you see "x is the most watched Netflix original" or "y was watched more than z!" type stuff coming from a non-Netflix entity, it should be taken with a grain of salt because only Netflix has that data.

Even still, it seems off. Stranger Things was an immediately huge thing. It was everywhere almost immediately. As big as that show blew up instantly, there is no reason it should theoretically be that low on that chart.
Unless that company is theorizing that people were watching Stranger Things in massive groups at one location to keep viewership down.

Not

Banned
Is Bojack Horseman that good? I feel like its a show like Bob's Burgers that everybody enjoys, but I just don't get.

It's kind of like an investment that really pays off. It's not exactly lightspeed at go. Can't grab everyone with a show like that, but that's how it is. Netflix is a good fit for it.

When the shows are good, people will come. They do need a hit though. No one's got time for a 13 hour show that doesnt pay off.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Even still, it seems off. Stranger Things was an immediately huge thing. It was everywhere almost immediately. As big as that show blew up instantly, there is no reason it should theoretically be that low on that chart.
Unless that company is theorizing that people were watching Stranger Things in massive groups at one location to keep viewership down.

Netflix has blasted previous estimates as “remarkably inaccurate”, so I don't know why it'd be any different this time.

Hazmat

I think they were hoping for people's reaction to be "I like at least one of these, so I'll watch" and instead it was "I don't like at least one of these, so I'll skip it." Not a great idea to have the one immediately before this be Iron Fist either.

FiggyCal

Banned

Maybe its huge in the internet circles you hang around and nowhere else...

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I feel like in general we tend to think it's big, just because Colbert or some other late night host makes a clever joke about it.

Maximo

Really while some of the plot was a bit messy for Jessica/DareDevil/Luke (Iron Fist was garbage) they all worked in their own thing but it was a jumbled clusterfuck of a show once the novelty wore off with seeing them and interact with each other. I mean for gods sake 3 Leaders of the Hand were shoved out of no where into the Defenders with no slow build up or giving us any reason to give a shit.

Iron Fist killed my excitement for Defenders.

Defenders completely killed my interest for all of Marvel's Netflix stuff besides maybe Daredevil S3.

Aselith

I don't know if blaming Iron Fist is really the move considering none of the other shows can apparently get within 75% of Daredevil S2's numbers.

Granted, I never watched Iron Fist, but that's partially because none of these shows (especially Daredevil Season 2) can hold my attention for longer than 5 or 6 episodes total.

Yeah, maybe this is me. I start on them and then about halfway through I'm kinda ehhhhhh and move on. I did watch DD Season 1 through though.

Conversely, I'm surprised at how low Stranger Things is given the insane hype around it. Daredevil just took everything by storm apparently.

I don't think it had much hype going in, it just gained a lot of traction when people watched it and loved it. That may account for low numbers in the first 30.

Top Bottom