• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study Finds The Defenders Least Watched from Netflix/Marvel in U.S.

FiggyCal

Banned
Yeah, maybe this is me. I start on them and then about halfway through I'm kinda ehhhhhh and move on. I did watch DD Season 1 through though.

A lot of the good stuff for Daredevil Season 2 happens in the second half, so you're definitely missing a lot if you skipped it.

Part of this is probably Iron Fist.

I wonder if the other part of it is the expected time investment; the existence of four different shows (one of which has two seasons) with hour-ish episodes leading up to this is a hell of a lot different than the time investment for The Avengers, even if you skip one or two of them.

HF2014

IMO, Netflix have difficulty to keep up lots of their shows. OITNB, House of Cards, Bloodline, The Killing, Marvels Daredevil S2 bottom half and up series, all iv lost the love of it with their last season. Just hoping Ozark, Stranger Things, Narcos, 13 reasons Why will keep up. One series i beleive they did a stong ending is The Fall, but all the others series, well, kind of dissapoint me with their last season effort.

woolley

Haven't these kinds of numbers been unreliable in the past for Netflix shows? They don't have a really solid way of getting the information of how popular a show actually is.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
That seems oddly low for Stranger Things.

Stranger Things was not a tremendously widely watched show outside of nerd circles. Most of my non-gaming non-cinephile non-comic book fan friends barely know what it is. It seems like it was bigger than it was due to how much noise was made about it on the internet.

Yeah. Imstart like the first 30minutes of Defenders and there was too much Iron Fist. The Hand gimmick need to die too...

Bring back Fisk christ!

At this point, if The Punisher fails to bring good reviews or bring people back, then they should look into giving Kingpin his own show. I'd watch the hell out of that.

woolley

Stranger Things was not a tremendously widely watched show outside of nerd circles. Most of my non-gaming non-cinephile non-comic book fan friends barely know what it is. It seems like it was bigger than it was due to how much noise was made about it on the internet.

What the hell are you talking about? The show was everywhere, it's pretty mainstream.

teiresias

I love Daredevil, but haven't watched JJ, Cage, or Iron Fist. Defenders making a Daredevil S3 take longer is just annoying at this point. These shows aren't tightly coupled into the MCU anyway so I think they need to just focus on them individually rather than force out another hero team.

Hazmat

When you think about it they shouldn't be surprised at all. It feels like I need to have watched 5 13-episode seasons spanning four different shows to be able to watch this. Maybe some people are like me and got bored halfway through Daredevil season 2 or waited a weekend for other people to watch Iron Fist so they decided not to bother after the consensus was that it sucked.

The Avengers films have the huge spectacle (and only being 2-2.5 hours) on their side. I haven't seen all the Marvel movies, but that didn't stop me from seeing Avengers 1, 2, or Civil War. The Defenders feels like a full plate of seconds when I wasn't hungry enough to finish the stuff I liked the most on the first plate.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I feel like in general we tend to think it's big, just because Colbert or some other late night host makes a clever joke about it.
I mean, it was so big that they had a commercial for the second season during the Super Bowl. I would be amazed if it wasn't in their top 5 most viewed shows.

woolley

It literally does, because a study involves scientific procedure.
But where are they getting the numbers since Netflix doesn't make them available? Are they using the previous numbers that have been unreliable for past shows or have they somehow retroactively been able to pull the numbers from those days?

Stranger Things was big. Period.

Again: The idea that there's this weird division between "real life" and "The internet" when the program we are talking about is distributed VIA THE INTERNET doesn't make any sense.

The division between "real life" and the "internet" is largely artificial as it is, and when the media we're talking about is media that debuts and is only accessible on the internet and the shows it's being compared against are also on the internet, on the exact same PLATFORM even, then how are we making the argument that one of those shows was only "fake internet popular" as opposed to "real popular." (especially when the shows in question are Daredevil Season 2 and Stranger Things)

We live in a media reality where fuckin PewDiePie is pulling more viewers on the regular than like, 90% of all television programming available, and somehow Stranger Things being a breakout hit the month it dropped is some sort of overmagnified internet-only phenomenon?

I'm not buying it.

That show was big

These stats are bunk.

Sumidor

I liked Daredevil, couldn’t even get through the 2nd episode of Jessica Jones, got halfway through Luke Cage and watched most of Iron Fist. That said, I hated Iron Fist, but I love the comic character and kept trying to like it. I dislike Kristen Ritter and that just made Jessica Jones impossible to wafch, also it was boring to me. Luke Cage was fun for a bit, but went downhill after the 4th episode. So I never even tried to watch The Defenders. I’ll probably watch Punisher and if they make another season of Daredevil. The rest could be cancelled and I wouldn’t care.

SoulUnison

Banned
I feel like the Marvel Netflix shows have a huge habit of killing off or writing out the best parts of themselves.

Fisk was underused.
Kilgrave was finished off.
Cottonmouth was disposed of.

And then they spen waaay too much time on concepts and characters that are mediocre to just flat-out terrible, like The Hand and Diamondback.

mreddie

But where are they getting the numbers since Netflix doesn't make them available? Are they using the previous numbers that have been unreliable for past shows or have they somehow retroactively been able to pull the numbers from those days?

You can it's an unsolved mystery?

tumblr_ol312fAYSO1vtnv5po1_500.gif

surprised how low Stranger Things is in those rankings, it felt like one of those big pop culture moments of the year but I guess it wasn't really the case?

I think it’s one of those shows that started low key and people checked it out after the good word spread.

Season 2 will probably have a huge first month.

How soon until we get people saying that Avatar and Force Awakens weren't that popular because nobody liked them, in spite of the obvious repeat viewing putting them at record numbers?

If anything helps make my case that these numbers are bunk it's that Spatula's silly ass is up in here suggesting they're correct.

well, it's not like i'm saying stuff like this:

"I'm becoming increasingly convinced they extrapolated it from their colon"

while giving your own colon-related stats or thoughts about how they're wrong -- you could at least attempt to discredit their method... at least

like, uh

mreddie

If anything helps make my case that these numbers are bunk it's that Spatula's silly ass is up in here suggesting they're correct.

I thought this would lead a rational conversation about the shows quality or viewing habits, who knew one statistic would unravel the whole source?

Weird, variety had a previous article saying stranger things averaged more viewers in the first 35 days than daredevil season 2.

Ratings provided to Variety by Symphony Advanced Media reveal that the first eight episodes of “Stranger Things” make up the third most watched season of a Netflix original series to debut in the last year. Within its first 35 days on the streaming service, the supernatural drama averaged 14.07 million adults 18-49. Only season one of “Fuller House” and season four of “Orange is the New Black” drew larger demo audiences in their first 35 days.

Among Netflix originals, “Stranger Things” ranks ahead of “Making a Murderer” (13.35 million), “Daredevil” season two (13.35 million), “Jessica Jones” (6.26 million), “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” season two (6.08 million), “The Ranch” (6.01 million), “House of Cards” season four (5.67 million), “F is for Family” (4.81 million) all other Netflix series that Symphony tracks.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/stranger-things-tv-ratings-netflix-most-watched-1201844081/

Apharmd

Defenders was pretty fucking mediocre. 85% of it I didn't care for and just seems to ruin everything that was set up in previous seasons. 15% were cool characters interacting with each other and I kinda had fun.

I wasn't hyped at all for Avengers after Thor and Captain America were alright, but it had so much fun and was a really cool celebration. I still enjoy watching it every now and then.

Defenders had me a bit hyped for Daredevil, JJ, LC's return and I was heavily disappointed at how much of a flaccid, meandering wet fart it was.

Prompto

Banned
Good indicator Stranger Things is Netflix's biggest original show: they paid for a Superbowl spot for season 2 ten months before its release.

Another good indicator: It's the most viewed on their YouTube channel.

Tobor

I love Daredevil, but haven't watched JJ, Cage, or Iron Fist. Defenders making a Daredevil S3 take longer is just annoying at this point. These shows aren't tightly coupled into the MCU anyway so I think they need to just focus on them individually rather than force out another hero team.

Defenders is Daredevil Season 3. It’s the direct continuation of the storyline set up in DD Season 2. You missed it.

I enjoyed it, although ill admit Iron Fist is the weak link.

EDIT: and yeah, these numbers are horseshit.

lupinko

Yeah I didn't rush out to binge watch it like the others.

While I don't think IF was as bad as others here say it is, I will admit it could be related to as to why I didn't binge Defenders right away.

Top Bottom